Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials

It is good that the city is trying to address the bulky-item issue. But with so many high-rise residential buildings, having bulky items picked up once a month is not enough. Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Fine The City

Lahaina, HI

#1 Dec 7, 2009
I put out items the day they are to be picked up... they sit there for 3 weeks till the city gets around to doing it. MOST of the online comments I have read follow this exact pattern as well. This is the standard complain that most people have.

so.. if the mayor in his genius is going to issue property owners fines, then we should be able to impose fines on the city and the mayor for failure to fulfill their commitments.

oh wait.. that is standard practice, everyone is used to it already.
Glen

AOL

#2 Dec 7, 2009
Mona,
I have to say, that was a wonderful letter. You said the same things I have been saying for months.
Bring back industry. Fine those that don't.
Use some of that money for jobs here, such as, open up the oil drilling until we develop more solar, wind, wave, nuclear, natural gas energies.
No more bail outs until our budget is balanced.
No more taxation on the working masses.
Have the banks, that used our Tax money for their bailouts, repeal their increased interest rates on their charge cards. They borrow money from us and in return, they reward us with higher rates. The very people that were good customers that paid on time. Wrong.
Bring back, the steel mills, the out sourced jobs, the car and clothing industry.
Encourage growing all of our own food.
Bring back electronics and appliance industry.
Do all this and the economy will right itself.
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

#3 Dec 7, 2009
Fine The City wrote:
I put out items the day they are to be picked up... they sit there for 3 weeks till the city gets around to doing it. MOST of the online comments I have read follow this exact pattern as well. This is the standard complain that most people have.
so.. if the mayor in his genius is going to issue property owners fines, then we should be able to impose fines on the city and the mayor for failure to fulfill their commitments.
oh wait.. that is standard practice, everyone is used to it already.
Fine the City. I have to agree with you. If that is the day they will be picked up you should put items out. Providing people are not putting items out 2 or 3 weeks in advance of pickup as was done here in Sayre. That was stopped quickly by the borough. Aloha from Northeast PA.
Honolulu Resident

AOL

#4 Dec 7, 2009
Sea water pools have not worked elsewhere either, and for the good, safety and health, of the community, the remains of the Natatorium pool should be removed. The added beach area is needed in that area, close to Kapiolani Park, too. It is a good idea to save a portion of the memorial itself, if that can be done safely and economically. World War I veterans from Hawaii should not, and will not be forgotten. But safety, health, economics, and the over-all good of the community should take precedence.
Where da beef

Honolulu, HI

#5 Dec 7, 2009
Funny, I don't see Peter Apo offering any plan to pay for saving the Natatorium.
willie

Farmington, MI

#6 Dec 7, 2009
Mona Maiman - great thoughts unfortunatly, unless you want to pay one heck of a lot more for products we can not make them here and compete. When we have to pay someone even minimum wage (and soon either medical insurance or fines) to screw a nut on a bolt you are at a disadvantage. I won't even go into union costs if involved.

Sorry the USA priced itself right out of competition long ago.
waimea jim

United States

#7 Dec 7, 2009
Have them build a bulky items transfer station like the one they have in Waipahu at the corner of Pensacola and Kapiolani, on Date St. by the Palolo/Manoa stream bridge, next to the park and ride in Hawaii Kai and across the street from the dog park in Kahala.

Also create a green waste recycling center complete with a mulching machine to create compost/mulch. Allow the mulch/compost to be sold cheaply.

Let the recycling companies use the areas for the business and have them maintain it as a condition of use. Have the recycling companies ensure that freon is removed from refrigerators and A/C units.

Establish a HAZMAT (hazardous materials) storage and disposal area in the compounds and have the recycling companies accept materials and label them (smoke detectors, fluorescent lights, paints, solvents, pesticides, etc.

That area on Kapiolani has been used as a construction storage area for the last 20 years since Kapiolani Community College moved out.

If the neighboring condominiums complain about the eyesore that it creates, then tell them to build a bulky item storage area on each of their properties complete with a rolloff dumpster.
itsumo

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Dec 7, 2009
willie wrote:
Mona Maiman - great thoughts unfortunatly, unless you want to pay one heck of a lot more for products we can not make them here and compete. When we have to pay someone even minimum wage (and soon either medical insurance or fines) to screw a nut on a bolt you are at a disadvantage. I won't even go into union costs if involved.
Sorry the USA priced itself right out of competition long ago.
Willie, Have you ever noticed that the cost of a product from a Company that moved overseas ever went down? I haven't. The Greedy Companies moved overseas to save labor costs but didn't lower their prices. Here's one solution. Companies that want to either move or outsource overseas can do as they wish, BUT if they want to import their product back to the United States they will have to pay a hundred percent tariff. Is our labor costs high? Yes but, look at our lifestyle also. Our country and it's people live well. If you go to other countries you will see that they charge huge tariffs, yet their people live well also.
Common Sense

Wailuku, HI

#9 Dec 7, 2009
The Natatorium is a true treasure and should be kept as is with one exception - the pool should somehow be raised and the whole thing turned into a world class surf museum to honor Duke, Buster and the veterans themselves. What a fitting tribute and a major attraction for our faltering tourist industry as what better place for a museum for a sport that Hawaii gave to the world! The rest of the exisiting structure could be incorporated into this new museum by not touching the facade.
willie

Farmington, MI

#10 Dec 7, 2009
itsumo wrote:
<quoted text>
Willie, Have you ever noticed that the cost of a product from a Company that moved overseas ever went down? I haven't. The Greedy Companies moved overseas to save labor costs but didn't lower their prices. Here's one solution. Companies that want to either move or outsource overseas can do as they wish, BUT if they want to import their product back to the United States they will have to pay a hundred percent tariff. Is our labor costs high? Yes but, look at our lifestyle also. Our country and it's people live well. If you go to other countries you will see that they charge huge tariffs, yet their people live well also.
So with a 100% taffif prices won't go up right?

Maybe if the likes of Nike quit paying so called super stars 50 or 100 million to endorse their made in VietNam products the price WOULD go down.

There is NO simple solutions to complex problems. If YOu think you can compete against a given product by all means open a factory and start churning out goods.
Panos Panos Panos

Honolulu, HI

#11 Dec 7, 2009
Panos for Mayor. He will fix the Natatorium and everything else.
Mongo

Ewa Beach, HI

#12 Dec 7, 2009
Peter Apo has it wrong. The current state of the Natatorium doesn't honor anyone. Full restoration is prohibitively expensive but the plan to relocate the arches and restore the beach is a good compromise. The veterans will have a memorial that is appropriate and general public gets new beach access Both eventualities are better than it is now.

To snark about "moriality" is pompous and self-delusional. Mr. Apo apparently thinks he has a monopoly on virtue. Get over yourself.
wendell

San Jose, CA

#13 Dec 7, 2009
itsumo wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out prices at WalMart, Best Buy or Costco. If those products were made in the US, they'd be priced at least 100% higher. Do you really think you can buy a 42" Vizio HD for $800, if built in the US? How about a Dell computer? And, would you actually want to pay double for these products, if you had a choice?

BTW, many heavy industrial products, like container cranes, are built in China or South Korea. Do you want the ports to pay 100% tariff on these cranes, only to pass it on to you?

How about ships? Except for naval vessels, not many are built in the US anymore. Most are foreign built.

Since: Nov 09

Keauhou, HI

#14 Dec 7, 2009
Commenting on the letter from Mark Schaper.
I'm wondering how many building managers and maintenance people move stuff to the curb after a rental unit has been vacated and the former tenant has left stuff behind.
Perhaps these apartment buildings should set up an area for holding these bulky items until the monthly pickup, as suggested by the Mayor. I think that would be the prudent thing to do rather than face a fine. Or you can pay a monthly fine and chalk it up as overhead and adjust your rents accordingly.
Panos Panos Panos

Honolulu, HI

#15 Dec 7, 2009
He will fix the weather too!
rayh

Wahiawa, HI

#16 Dec 7, 2009
"Increase pickups for bulky items"

Nah, no need that just gives the trashboys more days to just do nothing and get paid for it.

"Bulky pickup fine would be fine policy"

How about we fine the city when their employees just drive right by the bulky items and no pick them up cause they too lazy. The reason there is so much bulky stuff on the streets is because the guys don't even pick 'em up when they're scheduled to. I don't know how many times I seen the trash truck driving thru neighborhoods on bulk pick up days not picking up a damn thing.
rayh

Wahiawa, HI

#17 Dec 7, 2009
I tell you the problem these days is everyone in the US esp. the younger generations wants to get paid a fortune for sitting around on their a.s.s.s.e.s doing nothing. Moreso they actually feel they are entitled to it.
wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out prices at WalMart, Best Buy or Costco. If those products were made in the US, they'd be priced at least 100% higher. Do you really think you can buy a 42" Vizio HD for $800, if built in the US? How about a Dell computer? And, would you actually want to pay double for these products, if you had a choice?
BTW, many heavy industrial products, like container cranes, are built in China or South Korea. Do you want the ports to pay 100% tariff on these cranes, only to pass it on to you?
How about ships? Except for naval vessels, not many are built in the US anymore. Most are foreign built.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#18 Dec 7, 2009
waimea jim wrote:
Have them build a bulky items transfer station like the one they have in Waipahu at the corner of Pensacola and Kapiolani, on Date St. by the Palolo/Manoa stream bridge, next to the park and ride in Hawaii Kai and across the street from the dog park in Kahala.
Also create a green waste recycling center complete with a mulching machine to create compost/mulch. Allow the mulch/compost to be sold cheaply.
Let the recycling companies use the areas for the business and have them maintain it as a condition of use. Have the recycling companies ensure that freon is removed from refrigerators and A/C units.
Establish a HAZMAT (hazardous materials) storage and disposal area in the compounds and have the recycling companies accept materials and label them (smoke detectors, fluorescent lights, paints, solvents, pesticides, etc.
That area on Kapiolani has been used as a construction storage area for the last 20 years since Kapiolani Community College moved out.
If the neighboring condominiums complain about the eyesore that it creates, then tell them to build a bulky item storage area on each of their properties complete with a rolloff dumpster.
lol! There is already green recycling and the mulch is free.

As for a "bulky" dump, it used to be where Kakaako Park currently resides. And it had "everything."
willie

Farmington, MI

#19 Dec 7, 2009
Glen wrote:
Bring back, the steel mills, appliance industry.
Do all this and the economy will right itself.
I am sure the EPA won't let any steel mills run, they are going to cream the power plants and steel mills are 10 times worse for global warming.

As to appliances, quit buying LG and Sanyo and buy Whirlpool, for the most part it is already made in the USA.
willie

Farmington, MI

#20 Dec 7, 2009
wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
The super ferry was, fat lot of good that did eh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hauula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pedestrian critically injured in Mililani Feb '15 Jack 10
News Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Feb '15 Defenestrator 14
News Drivers urged to be safe Jan '15 kyrahwaiwaiole 1
Hawaiian motorcycle clubs (Mar '10) Jan '15 burmamark 8
News Hawaii vets take comfort in memorials (Nov '07) Jan '15 Melody 6
Punalu'u Music Thread (Aug '13) Dec '14 Musikologist 7
News Man reported missing, last seen in Kaaawa Dec '14 Joe Balls 14
Hauula Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web