City cites Hauula property owner alle...

City cites Hauula property owner allegedly running illegal rent...

There are 139 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 21, 2009, titled City cites Hauula property owner allegedly running illegal rent.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

City officials have cited a Hauula property owner for allegedly operating an illegal vacation rental business at a residence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Sour Grapes

Ewa Beach, HI

#1 Aug 21, 2009
Bedroom police at the City Planning and Permitting Department. Rent for 5 day or 30 days. None of the cities business.

Leave people alone.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua, HI

#2 Aug 21, 2009
Sour Grapes wrote:
Bedroom police at the City Planning and Permitting Department. Rent for 5 day or 30 days. None of the cities business.
Leave people alone.
Well, there's a right way and a wrong way. Obviously the property owner chose the wrong way. The law is the law. Don't like it, change it.
Flexo

Kula, HI

#3 Aug 21, 2009
Sour Grapes wrote:
Leave people alone.
It's the cities business when people like Fanger chose to ignore our zoning laws, zoning laws that protect us from a wide variety of residential area disturbances, and I might add, zoning laws that insure that even you get a decent nights sleep and zoning laws that keep someone from opening up a bar next door to your house.
Well done for the city. Just a few thousand more citations to go.
pocho

Honolulu, HI

#4 Aug 21, 2009
these inspectors should do a surprise check on MUFI and his cronies to see what else they are hiding under the rug.$500K shortfall for the rail system was kept from the public? Nah, can't be, huh Mufi?
luahoana

Kaneohe, HI

#5 Aug 21, 2009
The city should get on the case and cite the thousand other people who are running B&Bs and illegal vacation rentals on Oahu.

Why do they pick on one particular out of state owner while they waffle on all the others?
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#6 Aug 21, 2009
Rents out property in Hawaii, but lives in California. Just like all the absentee landords and developers around the island. They love the cash but won't live in the mess they create for the rest of us to deal with. Right now, Waianae has KPT-type apartment housing sprouting up all over, how many of the future slumlords are going to live in their ghetto housing?
BFD

Washington, DC

#7 Aug 21, 2009
Well done for the city? What exactly was accomplished? Nothing. The couple was there. I'm sure they completed their stay. Another couple, or family, will come. This guy will continue to make money while flauting our laws. Maybe he'll pay a small fine in a couple years or so. But what did the city DO? Nada! Another day in Hawaii Nei.
Flexo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the cities business when people like Fanger chose to ignore our zoning laws, zoning laws that protect us from a wide variety of residential area disturbances, and I might add, zoning laws that insure that even you get a decent nights sleep and zoning laws that keep someone from opening up a bar next door to your house.
Well done for the city. Just a few thousand more citations to go.
Trash Gordon

Honolulu, HI

#8 Aug 21, 2009
How do you get a name like Fanger? Would you ask, hey give me the Fanger?
two cents

Lihue, HI

#9 Aug 21, 2009
What the city and county offices has to do to is keep an eye on the Gulick Street property in Kalihi for illegal and too many people and they may put up pipe frames and tarps again. Yes again.
politician

Wahiawa, HI

#10 Aug 21, 2009
Legislation should be made to require all vacation rentals to obtain the proper license and permits (a high fee to generate income for the State) on an annual basis. When ads are placed they must have their licensed printed and revealed it or they pay a hefty fine. If illegal rentals are discovered, then they must pay a substantial penalty for every day it is operating (maybe a $1000 per day fine), to deter such practices.

Further, before any vacation rental is made available. The adjoining property owners within a mile radius must agree to it. Aside of the land use commission.

Further, inspectors generally don't do their jobs until complaints are made. Inspectors need to get aggressive and hunt the illegal operators out or the City should "terminate" the "do nothing inspector".
Shareholder

Kaneohe, HI

#11 Aug 21, 2009
Big deal.
Von

Aiea, HI

#12 Aug 21, 2009
Who cares? The hotels are just jealous because they can't get any tourist to stay because of they are ripping them off. At least the estate has business and they should get an award if anything.
whatever

Honolulu, HI

#13 Aug 21, 2009
I attended a wedding there. Residence is nice and big. The rest of the property is incomplete. No paved driveways and parking situation is poor. I felt sorry for the neighbors. I saw some of them on the balcony of their houses next door. I'm sure that the live music must be loud enough to disturb them.
waimea jim

United States

#14 Aug 21, 2009
The city needs to install a waste fraud and abuse hotline with bounties for turning in violations of any kind. Bounties to be 10% of the penalties imposed and collected from the violator.
Make it private and anonymous so there will be no repercussions to informant.
Not like Police Internal Affairs, or Office of Complaint and Information who will turn it around and start looking for you.
Keep the Country Country

Honolulu, HI

#15 Aug 21, 2009
Vacation rentals and B&B inns are horizontal hotels! They are insidiously changing the North Shore from a rural residential community into a resort destination. We all need to wake up and see how these unscrupulous property owners are destroying our communities
expat

San Jose, CA

#16 Aug 21, 2009
If the owner failed to get permit to occupy (never mind the vacation rentals) the house should be redtagged and nailed shut.
JoeLocal

Honolulu, HI

#17 Aug 21, 2009
Von wrote:
Who cares? The hotels are just jealous because they can't get any tourist to stay because of they are ripping them off. At least the estate has business and they should get an award if anything.
I care. I live at my house and would biatch and moan if my "neighbor" had a wedding every weekend with a follow up party!

I live in a RESIDENTIAL area. Zoned RESIDENTIAL, with RESIDENTIAL tax rates.

If the county/state wants to fix the budget, start fining, suing and repossessing these LAW BREAKERS!

IF they don't like it, shut them down!

WHERE IS SIERRA CLUB? PROTEST THESE TYPES OF ILLEGAL ACTIVITY!
Homeless in Hawaii

Holualoa, HI

#18 Aug 21, 2009
Sour Grapes wrote:
Leave people alone.
And local people live on the beaches because the remaining houses in the rental pool are all vacation rentals...Awe!
Justice

Honolulu, HI

#19 Aug 21, 2009
According to the DPP, it is legal to rent a residence for less than 30 days, as long as it is only done once a month. President Obama's vacation rental home does not have a "vacation rental permit." However, Mr. Tanoe, Deputy Director of the DPP stated that this was a legal rental! See the Honolulu Star Bulletin article from 8-14-2008.
"Kailua has been at the center of a constant, bitter community debate over vacation rentals...So when U.S. Sen. Barack Obama moved into a Kailua beachfront rental last week for a vacation with family and friends, the first thought for many was excitement. The second was whether the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee would get swept into Honolulu's long-standing debate over illegal vacation units.
As it turns out, Obama's beachfront rental is legal, according to the city...
"This particular residence has never been cited by the DPP for illegal transient vacation unit rentals," Tanoue said...
According to Obama's campaign, the Hawaii-born senator paid for the 10-bedroom, 1-acre compound using his personal funds at "market" value to rent the home for a week for his family and friends...
The owner of Obama's weeklong rental is a California investor, Jill Higgins, who has contributed nearly $30,000 to political parties and the Democratic National Committee since 2000. Higgins contributed $2,300 to Obama's campaign since last year, federal campaign records show...
But campaign officials say Obama did not know Higgins and booked the rental through a Hawaii-based rental company...
The city has not determined a way to solve the issue of vacation rentals and bed-and-breakfasts operating illegally. Homeowners can rent their units to people only once a month unless they have a "nonconforming use certificate" by the city that allows them to rent out their homes under an old law.
----------
What is described at the Fanger Estate, seems legal, as it is consistent with what was described by Mr. Tanoe as a legal vacation rental for President Obama.(Let's call it the OBAMA VACATION RENTAL RULE). In the Fanger Estate case, it seems that it would be necessary for the DPP to document that two or more rentals occurred within the same month, not just one!
Von

Aiea, HI

#20 Aug 21, 2009
JoeLocal wrote:
<quoted text>
I care. I live at my house and would **** and moan if my "neighbor" had a wedding every weekend with a follow up party!
I live in a RESIDENTIAL area. Zoned RESIDENTIAL, with RESIDENTIAL tax rates.
If the county/state wants to fix the budget, start fining, suing and repossessing these LAW BREAKERS!
IF they don't like it, shut them down!
WHERE IS SIERRA CLUB? PROTEST THESE TYPES OF ILLEGAL ACTIVITY!
Oh! You have a good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hauula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Keeping kids smiling - Business (Apr '09) Tue yasmine zazi 4
Laie Music Thread Aug 12 Musikologist 1
Punalu'u Music Thread (Aug '13) Jun '17 Musikologist 11
News Alleged crime boss dies (May '08) Jan '17 Ben 35
News Police / Fire - News (Dec '08) Oct '16 bill brown 5
News Colleagues, students honor beloved teacher - Ha... (Aug '09) Oct '16 Kevyn 12
News Woman dies as car tumbles off Laie Point - Hawa... (Jul '09) Sep '16 Jill 73

Hauula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hauula Mortgages