Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners ...

Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners arrested this morning

There are 337 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 20, 2007, titled Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners arrested this morning. In it, Newsday reports that:

Five members of Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners were arrested this morning and processed in Hauppauge in connection with a probe of the fire district's spending practices over the past several years, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Former Long Islander

Shreveport, LA

#363 Mar 28, 2007
Gone From LI - AND GLAD wrote:
Rant Alert:
To RealNYER - Do you think they fund the districts on what they collect from donations? Read the Newsday serial again. It’s the money from your state and local taxes and from your fire insurance.
About the trucks: why do they need 70 foot ladders when most of the departments will never go to a call where a structure is half that height, besides hanging those banners from LIRR trestles. And if they are all altruistic, why don’t they buy trucks with literally less bells and whistles and top of line accessories, and spend that money on the nuts and bolts equipment they need? Maybe then they wouldn’t have to go door to door and ask people for more money to buy “Equipment, stretchers, splints, AED's, and some other odds and ends to keep someone like you alive before arriving at the hospital”. If they worried less about how they looked in parades and how comfy their “clubhouse” is, and let that money got to those items, people wouldn’t look at them with a suspicious eye.
About the higher positions: Pay your dues and you too can be chief when it’s your turn and get a free truck to use. They’re all cronies make sure they each get a piece of the pie when it’s their turn.
Why does it seem that most of the people defending the system are part of the system?(Notice I said most) Scrap the system and give them part time pay. Pare down the firehouses to the bare basics. Remove the halls that they rent out for profit.
But that won’t happen because most LIers have reverse NIMBYism – my school/fire district is better than yours so I don’t mind paying the higher taxes. But try to bring everyone to the same level and consolidate districts to save money, and no one wants to share. So, you get what you deserve. The same graft from the multitude of special taxing districts, with the same bunch of thieves running them year after year - same reverse political NIMBYism there,“they’re all bums, throw them all out – except my rep – they look out for our district OK. But you’re rep is a jerk”. Glad I left LI. Your eyes really do open to other ways of doing things once you’re away from the LI way of thinking. Things aren’t perfect anywhere, but LI is further from perfect than most places.
GIVE ME A BREAK! THE SAME B.S. GOES ON DOWN HERE! HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THE BLACK SCANDAL? HOW ABOUT THE CONSTRUCTION FIASCOS CONCERNING THE HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION WITH INFERIOR MATERIAL TO SCREW THE GOV'T OUT OF FUNDS. DON'T ACT LIKE YOU ARE IN PARADISE!!
Gone From LI - AND GLAD

Marathon, FL

#364 Mar 29, 2007
Hey, "Former Long Islander",

Me thinks you doth yell too much. Read my last sentence. Never said I was in paradise, just closer to it than LI. You moved away too. Can you honestly say that the politics are as corrupt down here as they are up there? Here is regular corruption. LI is super corruption. Yep, you got the Black scandal and the light rail way over budget, but nothing like Roslyn et al, Shoreham, LIPA, the Roosevelt Raceway giveaway, etc …

There are crooked politicians here too, its just that they are not as good as being crooked as the ones on LI. The political machine that sustains the system on LI, is not present here, so turn over is greater. There is no gross over spending on redundant school districts, fire districts, sewer districts, special districts, etc... There are problems associated with rapid growth, but at least they are more open to solving them with new ideas rather than fighting tooth and nail to keep the same broken system in place. No place is perfect, but to pay all of the taxes and still have to put up with that crap, faggettaboutit.
Former Long Islander

Utica, KY

#365 Mar 29, 2007
Gone From LI - AND GLAD wrote:
Hey, "Former Long Islander",
Me thinks you doth yell too much. Read my last sentence. Never said I was in paradise, just closer to it than LI. You moved away too. Can you honestly say that the politics are as corrupt down here as they are up there? Here is regular corruption. LI is super corruption. Yep, you got the Black scandal and the light rail way over budget, but nothing like Roslyn et al, Shoreham, LIPA, the Roosevelt Raceway giveaway, etc …
There are crooked politicians here too, its just that they are not as good as being crooked as the ones on LI. The political machine that sustains the system on LI, is not present here, so turn over is greater. There is no gross over spending on redundant school districts, fire districts, sewer districts, special districts, etc... There are problems associated with rapid growth, but at least they are more open to solving them with new ideas rather than fighting tooth and nail to keep the same broken system in place. No place is perfect, but to pay all of the taxes and still have to put up with that crap, faggettaboutit.
The corruption down here just doesn't get "sniffed" out! Why are NC schools the 2nd worst in the Country?!. For your info, I moved down here to nurse a dying relative, so watch your tongue! I have been involved in local government and I speak from first hand observations! So keep your Yankee head up your butt and pretend it is paradise down here. This whole damn country is headed down the tubes if you haven't noticed. Corruption is rampant wherever you live.
Gone From LI - AND GLAD

Marathon, FL

#366 Mar 30, 2007
To Former Long Islander:
Oh, I forgot, folks down here aint smart enough to sniff out no corruption down here. NY is just the best place in the world, and we should thank them for carrying the rest of the country on their backs.

Schools are the second worst in the country? Where’d you get that? Not from the research that I and others did. Of course, we’d don’t mind none the soda pop crates that are used for chairs in the one room school house where my kids go.

I don’t have to watch my tongue because it’s not my fault I don’t have Kerskin-like abilities to divine why you’re where you are, and you didn’t bother to explain it.

Maybe you is part of the problem importin’ your corrupt city ways down to here to the simple folk.

For the third time now, I never said that this is paradise. In a perfect world, I probably would have kept on living on LI, but I opened my eyes to see that the local and state governments are not going to change. My tax dollars were going for over priced and over hyped services. And that’s not going to change anytime soon because when you talk about consolidating schools, fire districts, services, etc… no one wants theirs done because it might change what they perceive as their paradise. A bunch of prima donnas in their own little fiefdoms cutting their noses off to spite their faces. And then they have the never to say,“my taxes are too high”. I think you’re confused as to who has their heads up their butts. I get more bang for my buck here than up there.

There are too many layers of government to try and change and it is not in their best interest to do so. There are too many jobs that don’t need to exist that would be cut by fixing the problems. The people in the system realize that their job, their perks, their friends and family member’s jobs all depend on this broken way of government, so reform is not in their interest.

At least down here and in other places, there is an honest attempt to try some smart growth ideas. On LI, the growth isn’t smart, it’s just “what kind of house/business can we shove on this last piece of unused land”. Drive from Brooklyn/Queens to Montauk on the Belt and Sunrise Highway and see how far you have to go before it looks like NYC ends and LI begins. I’d say you’ have to get to Sayville/Patchogue before you see an unused hunk of land.

I would not say corruption is rampant everywhere. It’s just some places have a higher degree than others. LI is more developed with an “old” way of thinking, whereas new places are more open to other ideas. If you don’t like living in this country anymore, check out this website, they will take you in http://www.gov.ru/ .
Former Long Islander

Utica, KY

#367 Mar 30, 2007
Gone From LI - AND GLAD wrote:
To Former Long Islander:
Oh, I forgot, folks down here aint smart enough to sniff out no corruption down here. NY is just the best place in the world, and we should thank them for carrying the rest of the country on their backs.
Schools are the second worst in the country? Where’d you get that? Not from the research that I and others did. Of course, we’d don’t mind none the soda pop crates that are used for chairs in the one room school house where my kids go.
I don’t have to watch my tongue because it’s not my fault I don’t have Kerskin-like abilities to divine why you’re where you are, and you didn’t bother to explain it.
Maybe you is part of the problem importin’ your corrupt city ways down to here to the simple folk.
For the third time now, I never said that this is paradise. In a perfect world, I probably would have kept on living on LI, but I opened my eyes to see that the local and state governments are not going to change. My tax dollars were going for over priced and over hyped services. And that’s not going to change anytime soon because when you talk about consolidating schools, fire districts, services, etc… no one wants theirs done because it might change what they perceive as their paradise. A bunch of prima donnas in their own little fiefdoms cutting their noses off to spite their faces. And then they have the never to say,“my taxes are too high”. I think you’re confused as to who has their heads up their butts. I get more bang for my buck here than up there.
There are too many layers of government to try and change and it is not in their best interest to do so. There are too many jobs that don’t need to exist that would be cut by fixing the problems. The people in the system realize that their job, their perks, their friends and family member’s jobs all depend on this broken way of government, so reform is not in their interest.
At least down here and in other places, there is an honest attempt to try some smart growth ideas. On LI, the growth isn’t smart, it’s just “what kind of house/business can we shove on this last piece of unused land”. Drive from Brooklyn/Queens to Montauk on the Belt and Sunrise Highway and see how far you have to go before it looks like NYC ends and LI begins. I’d say you’ have to get to Sayville/Patchogue before you see an unused hunk of land.
I would not say corruption is rampant everywhere. It’s just some places have a higher degree than others. LI is more developed with an “old” way of thinking, whereas new places are more open to other ideas. If you don’t like living in this country anymore, check out this website, they will take you in http://www.gov.ru/ .
I will not substantiate my claims. But I guess you have no empathy for the lost jobs dwon here. People are hurting with all the plant closings. What is your local government doing to prevent this? The cost of living down here is extremely difficult for the native born Carolians. It is the likes of you that are driving up the prices. You think you came to "the cheap" side. Have you ever talked to the native born to learn of the struggles they are experiencing. I give up on such a sel-centered "pig headed" NY'er. You are pathetic and live in your own little world. Some of the taxes that people pay here-yearly auto taxes-although it is minute, a food tax. Water bills are triple the cost per unit. pensions are only tax free up to the first $3000-Mexicans are getting free medical while the natives pay for theirs-so you must be living in a cave and are insensitive to the needs of others. Where did you do your research for schools-on the back of a cereal box? Don't bother to answer this. I will not waste my time reading your tripe!
Gone From LI - AND GLAD

Gilbert, AZ

#368 Apr 2, 2007
Former Long Islander – Well, we were having a nice discussion about how things have a better chance to be better in the New South, but you just went WAY off course, so I will too.

Who the F! was talking about lost jobs? Now that the can is open …. There are more new jobs being created down here that in NY or on LI. I don’t have to apologize to anyone about where I’m from or what I’ve earned. Nobody gave me my house and job; I went out and got them. I didn’t go to a “fancy” school when I grew up on LI – ever hear of Amityville? Not even close to a top performing school on the island. You know what the average job on LI pays? 36K per year. NYC -$72K. So you hump it into NYC every day for 15 years so you can afford to live on LI. Did I cash out? You bet I did.

You make it sound like everyone down here is still living in dirt shacks. I work with native Carolinians – some who grew up on farms and working in tobacco processing plants. They moved up in life to white collar jobs. People do can that you know. Not every successful person in the US is from NYC or LA. Some go there from the environs you mention, and become industry leaders. Other stay where they grew up and do the same – ever hear of Sam Walton? On the other hand, there are some dirt poor areas on LI and NYC (some right next to the Hamptons). And I won’t even get into upstate NY. Oh, yeah, as I mentioned, the New South. Where some people come to live and work because other people came with ideas and jobs to fill at their new companies that they opened down here because the economic environment is much better to operate in.

People pay lot higher percentage of taxes in NY than the do in NC. Why do you think there are considerable amount of people moving out of there? This just in – lots of illegal aliens on LI too, doing the same thing there as they do in NC. Don’t know why you brought that up, but I thought that I’d enlighten you.

Oh, and not all schools in a state are at the same level as the state is ranked. There is this thing called an average, which means some schools can rank above the average and some below. Same thing goes for mean and median. LI may think they have the best schools, but they are sadly diluted. Oh, and you bet I didn’t pick the lowest rank school to send my kids to, I picked one of the best in the state, and they are learning more there they were in a pretty desirable district on LI. You know for a pretty dumb state like NC, they have some pretty world renowned universities with the best research facilities that also just happen to field good college basketball teams. Or should out of state students not bother coming here because they are taking spots away from locals?

Sorry you live in a dreary world, but it is what you make of it. Successful people like Donald Trump have money for a reason; they do what it takes to be at that level. Obviously, not everybody is willing to do what it takes to get to that level. It is a lot of work. I put myself in that category. But I think you’ve inspired me to work harder, learn even more so I can make more money and rub it in everyone’s face, which you think I and other like me do.

To sum up, according to you, I should not try to better my situation for me and my family, I should have stayed up north, just being happy paying high taxes, because I make so much living on LI and having a 3 hour round trip commute to work. I should not want to live in a climate that is more temperate, rather I should stay where decent weather only occurs from May to October. I should be ashamed of selling my “mansion” on LI and getting a decent sized house in NC. We’ll guess what? I’m not. Everyone has their own situation. Rich or poor (though everyone down here is poor according to you), people have problems no matter what area of the country you live in. I don’t have to answer to you about what I do about the “needs of others”. Come out of your fantasy dreary world.
Former Selden Resident

AOL

#369 Apr 2, 2007
Take a look at other FD's out your island,I've joined a local FD in Pa.All our stations are simple,we get the job done,our equipment is standard.Its a small wonder why the driving cost made us leave the island.Newsdays pictures said alot,many FD's had bars more exquisite than some NYC clubs I've visited.Suana's,hot tubs?Closest to a sauna I see is going into a fire.Long Islands priorities are all screwed up.
Gone From LI - AND GLAD

Gilbert, AZ

#370 Apr 2, 2007
Former Selden Resident - Exactly. Do fancy chrome wheels on the trucks get ou to fire faster? When the vendors write the orders for the equipment, that's a problem. When buying a new car, do you ask the salesman what they want to sell you, or tell them what you want?
LJ B

Tenafly, NJ

#371 Apr 10, 2007
Dan wrote:
Wrong is wrong! You can't justify misapprpriation of funds under any circumstances. Fire departments do our communities a great service, however their funds and spending must be monitored. Yes, they need modern equipment to fight fires, but they do not need tour buses, race cars and palatial firehouses, and paid vacations to protect our communities.
Yeah they do - they deserve something extra for giving up their valuable free time and if you can't
appreciate that, I hope you never need a VOLUNTEER
to help you because you aren't worthy of their
services.
LJ B

Tenafly, NJ

#372 Apr 10, 2007
The incentive is to contribute to the community. If they need/want/expect all these perks to do the job, then they aren’t volunteers. You make it sound like they are better than the average slob who doesn’t volunteer, because they put their lives on the line and go out at night and holidays.

They damn sure are better - you gonna get up at 4am to *Contribute*- doesn't sound like it.. They don't EXPECT perks but they sure EARN them. You sound jealous to me, waah I don't get freebies why
should they?? Becuz they SACRIFICE for others that's
why. I hope you never need the benefit of the
Volunteers you badmouth - you don't deserve it.
Sponge Bob

Marathon, FL

#373 Apr 11, 2007
First of all, I don’t live in the cesspool you call Long Island any more. You and this idea of entitlement are one of the reasons. I do get up at 4 AM and contribute to society – at my job. Plenty of other people work on holidays, weekends, or at 4 AM because it’s a required part of their job. They are not “noble” because the job requires them to work these hours? They don’t “earn” perks that come off the backs of taxes payers for a volunteer job.

Why does it always seem that people within these systems think the money comes from imaginary place in clouds?“Oh, no one pays for them, they’re FREE!’ They are not “freebies”, they are paid for by tax payer dollars you dolt. And the people in charge of the systems purse strings are not acting in a responsible way. Extra fancy trucks,“learing vacations (aka an excuse to drink by the pool after a “tough day of learning”) and club house amenities and all useless “perks” paid by tax payers. Get pros if the people involved expect “perks”. And if you say you’d “rather pay the higher taxes knowing that individuals like this are protecting me”, you’re an idiot. I’d rather have pros do it.
LJ B

Tenafly, NJ

#374 Apr 17, 2007
FINALLY - An intelligent post!!!
Thanks Judge - I applaude you and if I make a tIpo
I don't care but what I do care about is COMMON
SENSE. Lots of the posters here just seem to want to rag on each other. They don't really care about the issue. I really appreciated your INTELLIGENT
WELL THOUGHT OUT post. Thanks And I appreciate
my Volunteers. There are Crims in all walks of
life, it's true, but I also feel that there can be
more than meets the eye. Just cuz Newsday writes it doesn't make it DEFACTO Hey Yer Honor
What Say U ?????
Male Subject 35

AOL

#375 Apr 17, 2007
ScreeName of a crooked SCPD cop who a volunteer in selden, Silent Majority
PunishdaFew

Hauppauge, NY

#376 May 9, 2007
How honest are they when your home is burning down and they come to your aid. Don't punish the many because the problems of the few.
Nick from Baldwin wrote:
Accountability.....FINALLY! Are there no more honest people left in this world?
selden person

Westwood, NJ

#377 Sep 17, 2010
Sidelined New Yorker wrote:
<quoted text>
Did we read the same article? I didn't see one word about the volunteer fire fighters and the incredible work they do. What I did read was about the Board and their ridiculous spending on themselves. How many members of the Board respond to emergency calls as volunteers? None I bet. Do they get paid a stipend along with the trip perks? Probably. Nobody in their right mind will ever say something bad about the wonderful men who respond to everything from burning buildings to puppy rescues. Maybe after this investigation, more taxpayer money will go toward their welfare than that of fat slobs sitting behind a Board table.
you are an idiot when these people put their lifes on the line for all you negative idiots out their.Lets see how fast you call 911 when your house is on fire or your loved one is in a car accident near death. So think about what your saying because they wont respond when u need them
laura smith

Yonkers, NY

#378 Sep 19, 2010
hank'em high
X Fire Volley

New York, NY

#379 Apr 9, 2011
I always like the fact Fire District Volunteers say they "do it for free" while in fact they get a 25% reduction in property taxes, free college, retirement and a pension package from the Fire districts, plus they all get a one week paid vacation for FREE, add in the Discounts they get from all over towns? it's a nice volunteer job.

Plus all the perks of using Fire equipment at home, use of Kitchens and over the top catering Halls and clubs in these Fire houses.

These over the top Fire houses have got to stop on Long island they are putting us in a financial crisis with too much equipment that’s never used and the over the top fire houses less then 1 mile from one another.

Volunteer's know abuser, unnecessary renovations , purchasing unneeded equipment, SUV Fire Dept issued more out of town then in town, when in town you see them in the BARS.

These Volunteer Fire Districts need to Merge, stop buying, stop building, and stop renovating and stop buying SUV every 3 years, CUT BACKS.

No need for 5 or 6 Fire houses in one small town less then 1 mile from one another!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hauppauge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Residents loudly complain about noise ordinance - (Sep '07) Sat Angry neighbor 162
Review: Joey B Plumbing & Heating Inc (Jul '10) Sat kris 5
News Islip residents angry over new rules at Atlanti... May 25 Baker 5
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) May 25 true independent 20
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) May 25 Bruser 2,622
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) May 25 SmokinJoe 111
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) May 24 Paperboy 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hauppauge Mortgages