Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners ...

Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners arrested this morning

There are 337 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 20, 2007, titled Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners arrested this morning. In it, Newsday reports that:

Five members of Selden's Board of Fire Commissioners were arrested this morning and processed in Hauppauge in connection with a probe of the fire district's spending practices over the past several years, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Phil

New York, NY

#1 Mar 20, 2007
Let me guess that all of these guys are also big FAT SLOTHS. Pictures please. I'll reserve speculation as to their last names.
first amendment

Highland Lakes, NJ

#2 Mar 20, 2007
...To Serve and Rip off! It's about time someone looked at all these "conferences"!
Bravo to the DA
and JUSTICE FOR ALL

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Mar 20, 2007
I always wondered why I see all these fire dept. vehicles from locations far far away and nowhere near their "home base" on "official business". NOW I KNOW!
Keep investigating and maybe, just maybe we'll all get what we've been paying for all along!
tired of it

Morristown, NJ

#4 Mar 20, 2007
Catch all the crime from the Volunteer Fireman and the School Exec's and we could end up a Tax free County.
Frankie GG

Jamaica, NY

#5 Mar 20, 2007
Now all the DA has to do, both in Suffolk and Nassau, is to look into the financial matters of the school districts. I could almost guarantee extreme financial abuse in every school district on Long Island. Has to be corruption just look at our school property tax bill every six months.
Nick from Baldwin

New York, NY

#6 Mar 20, 2007
Accountability.....FINALLY! Are there no more honest people left in this world?
IstheGOPreallyth atdumb

United States

#7 Mar 20, 2007
Wait for it..........

GOP'ers to the defense of these cretinous leeches!
Heywood

United States

#8 Mar 20, 2007
This will always happen when there is no oversight. Lock their crooked a$$es up!
Stu

Capitol Heights, MD

#9 Mar 20, 2007
Convicted prior to a fair trial, this is typical of the way Newsday treats volunteer firefighters. You devoted whole issues to a couple of bad firefighters and give heros only cursory acknowledgement. I haven't bought your paper in 20 years and hope that all the other volunteer firefighters, and their families, wake up and does the same thing!!!!
Love LI

Kearny, NJ

#10 Mar 20, 2007
Ahh, I love Long Island, home to corrupt politicians,(Brookhaven & Islip et al) corrupt school officials (Syosset et al) corrupt police depts,(Lloyd Harbor et al) and now know corrupt fire districts.

Take self-perceived power (elected officials who can't do anything so they run for office) with access to money, mix in a little male arrogance and you will get a stink-bomb more often than not.

Their lawyers will throw red herrings all over the place and the right-winged masses will accuse Newsday of bias for simply reporting the story.

They should re-name Long Island and call it Peyton Place. For all you young folks out there is was soap opera years ago.
A DARK CLOUD

Dumfries, VA

#11 Mar 20, 2007
PHIL, you are probably right. These guys must be BIG FAT SLOBS. Newsday wasn't able to fit a full size picture of them on a page.
I think we should wrap the fire hose around their neck, and cut off their eating and their drinking that the town's people supply for their Fire House.
I think they should lose their pension and all the amenties these SOB get from serving in the FD. They are a real piece of work. And as of this happening now. It has been happening all along, they finally got caught. All town Fire Stations and the men who serve, should be checked out to the fullest. Get out the firing squad.
I'm glad I DO NOT GIVE a donation to my F.D.
Selden resident

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Mar 20, 2007
Hmmm...not sure of what my opinion is on this yet - but being a Selden resident I can attest to the busy activity of this department all day & night, every day, always responding to emergencies, so I know they are a busy department for a bunch of unpaid volunteers. This would sure discourage me from joining the FD.
Selden resident

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Mar 20, 2007
PS I am at work and the internet service is based out of Brooklyn...that's why it says Brooklyn. I wanted to head off anyone who says I don't live in Selden.
ttm

Farmingdale, NY

#14 Mar 20, 2007
Ray Perini, the attorney for the Selden Fire Dept. says the five men have served for a 100 yrs combined. Does that give them the right to STEAL Mr. Perini?
Are you kidding me

Bronxville, NY

#15 Mar 20, 2007
I'm flabbergasted at the postings I just read. Look at your county tax bill people ... fire department taxes are minute compared to every thing else on listed on the bill.
Also, 99% of the districts mentioned (as well as most of those on Long Island) are VOLUNTEERS! If my tax dollars are going towards these VOLUNTEERS taking a vacation with their families after being called out to save a life or property on holidays and in the early am to save a life - go ahead and have fun!
Stop and think for a second - does the company you work for give you bonuses or incentives? Do you get PAID for doing your job? What's the volunteers incentive to put their lives on the line?
I could go on but what's the sense? Hopefully this will not deter anyone from joining a fire department or ambulance corp. because I know I would like to have someone respond to my calls for help if ever there were any.
Ken Z

Morristown, NJ

#16 Mar 20, 2007
My son is a newbie fireman within the last 2 years.
I may be in the minority here however, I DO think it is OK for perks in regards to firemen. However, I also believe there is a line that shouldnt be crossed. How far that line is remains to be determined. Do I think its possible that line is crossed and overstepped from time to time? Yes, I do. However, GROSS neglegent of funds is another thing. The funds the fire department has shouldnt be considered play money. Its serious stuff to say the least.
Lets see how all this sorts out. Hopefully it will all work out for the best.
Keep in mind however, every call my son gets to, both my wife and I cant rest easy till he either calls to confirm he is OK or he walks through the front door on his return trip. These men and women deserve to party. However, the party needs to be within reason.
"Z"
Sidelined New Yorker

United States

#17 Mar 20, 2007
Stu wrote:
Convicted prior to a fair trial, this is typical of the way Newsday treats volunteer firefighters. You devoted whole issues to a couple of bad firefighters and give heros only cursory acknowledgement. I haven't bought your paper in 20 years and hope that all the other volunteer firefighters, and their families, wake up and does the same thing!!!!
Did we read the same article? I didn't see one word about the volunteer fire fighters and the incredible work they do. What I did read was about the Board and their ridiculous spending on themselves. How many members of the Board respond to emergency calls as volunteers? None I bet. Do they get paid a stipend along with the trip perks? Probably. Nobody in their right mind will ever say something bad about the wonderful men who respond to everything from burning buildings to puppy rescues. Maybe after this investigation, more taxpayer money will go toward their welfare than that of fat slobs sitting behind a Board table.

Since: Mar 07

Teaneck, NJ

#18 Mar 20, 2007
Get ready for the ride as the wave rushes east to Coram and beyond
See It All The Time

AOL

#19 Mar 20, 2007
There are THOUSANDS of HEROS - known as Fire Fighters and EMT's that save lives each day on Long Island and they deserve our respect! These men only represent a small percentage of the Proud LEADERSHIP that serve each of our communities.

The trial should prove interesting.
Selden resident

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Mar 20, 2007
Are you kidding me wrote:
I'm flabbergasted at the postings I just read. Look at your county tax bill people ... fire department taxes are minute compared to every thing else on listed on the bill.
Also, 99% of the districts mentioned (as well as most of those on Long Island) are VOLUNTEERS! If my tax dollars are going towards these VOLUNTEERS taking a vacation with their families after being called out to save a life or property on holidays and in the early am to save a life - go ahead and have fun!
Stop and think for a second - does the company you work for give you bonuses or incentives? Do you get PAID for doing your job? What's the volunteers incentive to put their lives on the line?
I could go on but what's the sense? Hopefully this will not deter anyone from joining a fire department or ambulance corp. because I know I would like to have someone respond to my calls for help if ever there were any.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hauppauge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
all drownings (Jun '07) Sun Jimmy 65
Solo 99 Cents parking lot in Central Islip (Oct '09) Sun DEPORT THE SPANISH 19
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Sat oneear69 121,925
Ralphs Fishing Station Oct 21 Boatyard Dog 15
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Oct 20 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,492
News Town of Islip OKs bonds for animal shelter, air... Oct 19 USS LIBERTY 4
Islandia Music Thread Oct 19 Little Stuart 3

Hauppauge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance