Loved ones never to be forgotten -

Loved ones never to be forgotten -

There are 6 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 23, 2007, titled Loved ones never to be forgotten -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Her name is inscribed toward the bottom of a pink marble pillar in Hauppauge: Genevieve Licari, who at 14 was strangled and beaten by a teenage neighbor in Lake Ronkonkoma.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

zax

Cos Cob, CT

#1 Sep 24, 2007
Believe me I don't mean to be non-sympathatic to all of the people lost by these crimes.
However Their seems to be more and more emphasis on death in this country.We have so many memorials
Look around,Flowers all over the highways,pillars,plaques,
everything to remember our loved ones.
But is it really needed to have services and re-read everyone's name.Is it really for the lost lives that we do this for?
Maybe it is just me but also having people whom I lost in my life I never thought of memorailizing their death but more remembering their life.
Linda

Stony Brook, NY

#2 Sep 24, 2007
It is sad that all along the highways there are memorials set up for the deceased because they died there? Take it to the cemetary or mausoleum. Take the teddy bears and flowers, etc.

I think they are set up there because there is so much regret at the way the deceased was treated in life. So you make it up when they die???

You cannot leave this life alive.

Do your best while here.
DA Op

United States

#3 Sep 24, 2007
My heart goes out to these families. I have visited this memorial. It is very moving. I knew a young woman, a coworker, who is memorialized there.

She was a sweet, smart, witty, pretty girl with a huge inferiority complex brought about by years of being ignored and abused by family. She longed for love and dated indiscriminately and inappropriately both in and out of the office. She was murdered by a former boyfriend, the downtrodden relative of a coworker, to whom she had been characteristically over-kind.

After her death, her family became very active in a group for survivors of murder victims. It sounds harsh, but I have always thought it was a way of compensating for and covering up their contribution to her insecurity and death.

That said, I'm happy to see that some acknowledgement of this young woman's life exists. She was a special person whom I still miss.
momama

United States

#4 Sep 29, 2007
I know who you're talking about. I went out with some of the same guys she went out with and I too went out with her brother. They did get upset and it was bad for a long time. No family is normal and nobody is normal. And we are all going to die anyway.
Virginia

United States

#5 Sep 29, 2007
DA Op wrote:
After her death, her family became very active in a group for survivors of murder victims. It sounds harsh, but I have always thought it was a way of compensating for and covering up their contribution to her insecurity and death.
Sad, but true.
vgiovanni

Hauppauge, NY

#6 Jan 11, 2011
I use to live across the street from Genevive Licari as a child. It is a shame what happenned. When it did happen, we were living in Floral Park and my parents were still in touch with her parents. It was many years ago but my condolenses go out to the Licari family.
Vince G.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hauppauge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Edward Walsh case jurors say no to government c... Thu it gets better 4
News Central Islip park to be the site of veterans h... Thu political crap 2
Review: Roseland School Of Dance (Jul '08) Jun 29 Rose 34
News Dumping case trial date set for ex-Islip officials Jun 29 whats wrong 1
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jun 29 Why 4
News Islip residents angry over new rules at Atlanti... Jun 29 to bayport baker 6
News The view from 'Mr. Subprime Lender' (Mar '07) Jun 28 Mjgurl 18

Hauppauge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hauppauge Mortgages