First Prev
of 3
Next Last
RPSO

United States

#1 Mar 11, 2013
Make sure to get out and vote for the RPSO mil tax. Deputies pay will go down if we don't get it passed.
Duh

Alexandria, LA

#2 Mar 11, 2013
Is this a renewal of a sales tax?
Why

Pineville, LA

#3 Mar 11, 2013
Why should property owners pay more property tax to pay for sub standard deputies. RPSO deputies make more than APD, Pineville PD, and start higher than State Police. Why should I worry about their pay when Teachers don't even make as much. It also boggles my mind to think we should pay them that much when there are no requirements to be hired. State Police, APD, and PPD all have requirements as in College, Civil Service test etc. With RPSO all you need is to know the Sheriff. I say a big NO! Now that I know this is coming up I will let people know. People are tired of over weight, uneducated, deputies who are politically hired while people with qualifications cannot even get hired because they arent friends with so and so. This is complete BS that this hasnt been put out there for the public to know.
Why

Pineville, LA

#4 Mar 11, 2013
Duh wrote:
Is this a renewal of a sales tax?
I believe it is a renewal on property taxes. I cannot see it anywhere on the Clerk of Courts website. Wonder if they are in on keeping it quite.
ABM Inc

Pineville, LA

#5 Mar 11, 2013
Why wrote:
<quoted text> I believe it is a renewal on property taxes. I cannot see it anywhere on the Clerk of Courts website. Wonder if they are in on keeping it quite.
It is a renewal of a property tax passed the first time by then Sheriff Grady Kelley. It comes up for renewal, I think, every 15 years. It is a renewal. Like the current sheriff and his employees or not, this tax amounts to roughly 8 million dollars of the current budget. Could there or should there be some belt tightening? Most definately, but not to the tune of 8 million dollars. If you live in an incorporated area or not, if this tax does not get RENEWED, it will affect you in one way or another.
ABM Inc

Pineville, LA

#6 Mar 11, 2013
Why wrote:
Why should property owners pay more property tax to pay for sub standard deputies. RPSO deputies make more than APD, Pineville PD, and start higher than State Police. Why should I worry about their pay when Teachers don't even make as much. It also boggles my mind to think we should pay them that much when there are no requirements to be hired. State Police, APD, and PPD all have requirements as in College, Civil Service test etc. With RPSO all you need is to know the Sheriff. I say a big NO! Now that I know this is coming up I will let people know. People are tired of over weight, uneducated, deputies who are politically hired while people with qualifications cannot even get hired because they arent friends with so and so. This is complete BS that this hasnt been put out there for the public to know.
Comparing teachers salaries to deputies salaries is asinine. If teachers want to make what deputies make they should apply to the department and give up working with summers off and start enjoy working nights holidays, weekends birthdays in the rain heat and cold. Not to mention dealing with all the idiots in the parish too.
Service

Pineville, LA

#7 Mar 12, 2013
ABM Inc wrote:
<quoted text>It is a renewal of a property tax passed the first time by then Sheriff Grady Kelley. It comes up for renewal, I think, every 15 years. It is a renewal. Like the current sheriff and his employees or not, this tax amounts to roughly 8 million dollars of the current budget. Could there or should there be some belt tightening? Most definately, but not to the tune of 8 million dollars. If you live in an incorporated area or not, if this tax does not get RENEWED, it will affect you in one way or another.
I couldn't imagine the service getting worse and more unprofessional. But hey, I guess anything is possible. Maybe if they removed some deadhead jobs they wouldn't be alright. Why do we need over 500 employees for one department that covers roughly 60,000 people in rural areas. The rest in the parish live in a municipality. Glad to know this is coming up. I like how they have kept it hush hush.
just a thought

United States

#8 Mar 12, 2013
Service wrote:
<quoted text>I couldn't imagine the service getting worse and more unprofessional. But hey, I guess anything is possible. Maybe if they removed some deadhead jobs they wouldn't be alright. Why do we need over 500 employees for one department that covers roughly 60,000 people in rural areas. The rest in the parish live in a municipality. Glad to know this is coming up. I like how they have kept it hush hush.
The department is made up of more than just your road deputies. You have civil deputies, corrections, court security, detectives, narcotics, swat, animal control, water patrol, and then your administration. You also have municipalities that don't have the officers to cover them and when that happens that falls back to the sheriff to cover the area because it is a part of the parish. There are a lot of different functions in the sheriffs department. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with the services because you can't please everyone but have some respect at least for the men and women who go out there and get shot at protecting your home so that you can sleep at night.
TEAPARTY

Alexandria, LA

#9 Mar 12, 2013
Just Say NO!!!
Deputies who care

Pineville, LA

#10 Mar 12, 2013
TEAPARTY wrote:
Just Say NO!!!
There are alos SRO's in schools that make sure that you get to pick-up your children everyday! These guys and ladies provide a service that not alot want to do! They have protected the parish schools, without any thing major taking place! Sure, every dept has some problems, but again, the deputies take care of more than just the rural areas! The Deputies do alot more than just go to work, alot of them volunteer thier time in the community, at schools, with different churches, and different organizations throughout the area! So, yes, I will be voting for the Renewal, even though some of you think or feel that it isnt needed!
RPSO

Basile, LA

#11 Mar 12, 2013
just a thought wrote:
<quoted text>
The department is made up of more than just your road deputies. You have civil deputies, corrections, court security, detectives, narcotics, swat, animal control, water patrol, and then your administration. You also have municipalities that don't have the officers to cover them and when that happens that falls back to the sheriff to cover the area because it is a part of the parish. There are a lot of different functions in the sheriffs department. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with the services because you can't please everyone but have some respect at least for the men and women who go out there and get shot at protecting your home so that you can sleep at night.
Yeah,if any these services were cut or stopped the very ones,crying & screaming the RPSO is bad. Are the very ones that would not want the renewal. Solely because of their political agenda!
TEA

United States

#12 Mar 12, 2013
Deputies who care wrote:
<quoted text>There are alos SRO's in schools that make sure that you get to pick-up your children everyday! These guys and ladies provide a service that not alot want to do! They have protected the parish schools, without any thing major taking place! Sure, every dept has some problems, but again, the deputies take care of more than just the rural areas! The Deputies do alot more than just go to work, alot of them volunteer thier time in the community, at schools, with different churches, and different organizations throughout the area! So, yes, I will be voting for the Renewal, even though some of you think or feel that it isnt needed!
That is what the sales tax is for. Can't cut the SROs if the Mil Tax isn't renewed. SROs have nothing to do with this renewal.
TEA

United States

#13 Mar 12, 2013
RPSO wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah,if any these services were cut or stopped the very ones,crying & screaming the RPSO is bad. Are the very ones that would not want the renewal. Solely because of their political agenda!
I believe people are more tired of tax dollars paying for preachers and people who have already retired. Not to mention the over abundance of supervisor positions and take home units for secretaries. Also the overpaid deputies who have no education. When the SO starts hiring local people based on ability and knowledge, I will support a tax renewal.
Red on the butt

Pineville, LA

#14 Mar 12, 2013
Dead heads. SROs can get deleted regardless of which tax is passed or fails. It is not dedicated funding. He can hire 50 preachers or 50 cheerleaders.
Problem solved

Pineville, LA

#15 Mar 13, 2013
I know a way we can fix things. Examples: Why have 2 chiefs? Why does DC3 have 2 secretaries? Why do the jails need assistant wardens? Why two human recourses secretaries? Why 2 sgts and 2 corporals on the road? Why 7 Lts in detectives? Why does every Major need a Capt? Why 2 preachers being paid for nothing? Why not pay your own retirement like everyone else? You know, like the soldiers overseas do. Why not pay your health insurance like everyone else? This could be a start. Not one of those positions I mentioned would affect response times. That's just what I know about. I can only imagine how much more waste there is. I say no to the renewal and will be passing the word best I can. Do more with less like the rest of us instead of taking our money so people can be fat and happy. Tax and spend democrat like Obama! Best example I have seen.
Woodworth

Ville Platte, LA

#16 Mar 13, 2013
Just vote no to the tax renewal so we can trim up the work force at RPSO created by by Hiltons political hires.
just a thought

United States

#17 Mar 13, 2013
Problem solved wrote:
I know a way we can fix things. Examples: Why have 2 chiefs? Why does DC3 have 2 secretaries? Why do the jails need assistant wardens? Why two human recourses secretaries? Why 2 sgts and 2 corporals on the road? Why 7 Lts in detectives? Why does every Major need a Capt? Why 2 preachers being paid for nothing? Why not pay your own retirement like everyone else? You know, like the soldiers overseas do. Why not pay your health insurance like everyone else? This could be a start. Not one of those positions I mentioned would affect response times. That's just what I know about. I can only imagine how much more waste there is. I say no to the renewal and will be passing the word best I can. Do more with less like the rest of us instead of taking our money so people can be fat and happy. Tax and spend democrat like Obama! Best example I have seen.
You are ignorant to what it takes to protect the public. You should maybe research some other departments and research exactly what it takes to do things. Rpso is not the problem Obama is maybe you shouldn't have voted for Obama and we wouldn't be taxed so much.
Problem solved

Pineville, LA

#18 Mar 14, 2013
just a thought wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ignorant to what it takes to protect the public. You should maybe research some other departments and research exactly what it takes to do things. Rpso is not the problem Obama is maybe you shouldn't have voted for Obama and we wouldn't be taxed so much.
You are absolutely right. I must be ignorant to knowing what it takes to protect the public. I never knew we needed 2 paid preachers for protection. I never knew that two secretaries at a jail when only one is needed was required to protect me. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. I do not know what I was thinking. Ask the Sheriff who he voted for. I'm surprised he didn't send out the old letters in the pay stub telling everyone. "I vote Democrat and so should you". Seems someone may be ignorant about your man huh?
cool breeze

Pineville, LA

#19 Mar 14, 2013
Don't forget, two chiefs and Miss Fancy Pants Debbie CEO of the dept. who calls all the shots like Holt did. Two accountants although one is at work release seperating paper clips hooked together. He was a chuck hire though. Look at all the preachers on the chaplain list. Lots of belt tightening and less duplication of effort. Too many chiefs and not enough injuns.
May

Pineville, LA

#20 Mar 19, 2013
VOTE DOWN THIS TAX!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haughton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lauren purkey 2 hr wondering 1
Weiss & Goldring Building 4 hr New Orleans 12
Robbie Martin has got to GO...Pineville Deserve... (Oct '15) 15 hr David Brocoto 19
where she at Sat donna 8 toes 3
Olive Garden coming to Alexandria (Jul '11) Aug 15 Alexadria Resident 59
Whats taking Shipleys so long to build? Aug 13 CenLAGent 1
News Natchitoches man sentenced to prison for metham... Jul '16 The Truth 5

Haughton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Haughton Mortgages