Workers see premiums rise 14 percent for family health coverage

U.S. workers on average are paying a bigger share of their health insurance premiums this year. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Re Irish

Saint Paul, MN

#65 Sep 2, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
I can't wait until we get Universal Coverage.
I take it you do not work.
Bree

Minneapolis, MN

#66 Sep 2, 2010
This is very sad. Still, we must pay for protection from Bin Laden. We need to spend money on wars without end.
Robin

Minneapolis, MN

#67 Sep 2, 2010
I don't care. I work for McDonalds.
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#68 Sep 2, 2010
Actually, I don't care. I've had money in gold and silver. And, I'm doing great!!! Ha ha!!
Bree

Minneapolis, MN

#69 Sep 2, 2010
This is very sad. Still, I believe in hope and change. Whether you vote Republican and or Democrat, you can count on hope and change. Maybe, that is why I don't vote anymore.
jim

Saint Paul, MN

#71 Sep 3, 2010
"Where is it all going?" to the fat ceo's
Really

Minneapolis, MN

#72 Sep 3, 2010
not union workers for the state fed local gov or teahers. they are leeches on society
Porkulus

Minneapolis, MN

#73 Sep 3, 2010
Obama Admin. Actuary Finds Unsustainable Status Quo Cheaper than Obamacare

http://spectator.org/blog/2009/11/16/obama-ad...

One of President Obama's primary justifications for pushing health care legislation has been that the status quo is "unsustainable" because of the skyrocketing cost of medical care in the United States. The way to rein in costs, he argues, is to do adopt the policies that he and his fellow Democrats are proposing. But a new report by the government actuary at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, a branch of the Obama administration's Department of Health and Human Services, has found that the exact opposite is true.

CMS took a close look at the health care bill that was passed by House Democrats and endorsed by the White House, and it found that not only would the bill not reduce health care costs -- it would increase them. Time and again, we have been reminded that the United States spends a higher percentage of its GDP on health care than any other nation -- about 16 percent. As Obama but it in his June speech to the American Medical Association, "If we fail to act, one out of every five dollars we earn will be spent on health care within a decade." Yet if we adopt the legislation supported by Obama -- which finances expanded coverage through tax increases and Medicare cuts -- health care spending will actually rise to 21.1 percent of GDP, according to CMS, compared to 20.8 percent if we simply do nothing.

----------

The two reasons they gave for the "overhaul" to healthcare: "to cut costs" - NOPE ,costs will go up actually. "to insure everyone" - NOPE, 10ís of millions will still be uninsured. In other words, the plan is a total failure. This is about power and control.
Bud in St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#74 Sep 3, 2010
Ostrows wrote:
It's nice to see less inflation in health care. 3%, that's the lowest increase in years. I would have made the headline "Healthcare premiums lowest percentage increase in years".
I don't know whos rates the are quoting but its not my employer's ours went up 14%!

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#75 Sep 3, 2010
What a racket wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I blame the medical facilities and the outrageous charges they submit to the insurance companies. When was the last time you saw a hospital bill? Well, I have seen one and we had to pay our share of $400 for a $32 item. I called the hospital and all they had to say was that their drug store is expensive. So, are insurance companies supposed to just put up with that crap and not raise their prices? If the government wanted to put their noses into the middle of our health care, they need to put it in the right place and then do something about it. Obama did nothing but waste precious time to pass a complete disaster. It hasn't and will never help anyone. If anyone we can look forward to suffering more and dying a bit sooner. Get a clue.
Hey friend, don't be fooled.

I have worked in health care and the insurance industry over the last 20 plus years.

True story. Woman comes in to give birth with insurance. Has her baby and the bill is almost $22,000.

Same woman, three years later, comes in, has her second child WITHOUT insurance. Goes to billing, they negotiate a cash payment of $2,900.

Now, before jumping to conclusions, I get why the hospital is "sticking it" to the insurance company, not that it makes it right. The REALITY is that the hospital is forced by law to provide medical service to anyone showing up (assuming the hosptial get CMS reimbursement).

However, on average, between 25 - 40% of their services are never paid for...so, they are looking to make up that money.

The sad part is, the insurance industry knows it and Washington DC does as well. But, there is too much money to be made to dismantle the system they have in place (that would wreck their NON-governmental income streams).

“Get RIGHT or be left”

www.dreamindemon.com

#76 Sep 3, 2010
Porkulus wrote:
Obama Admin. Actuary Finds Unsustainable Status Quo Cheaper than Obamacare
http://spectator.org/blog/2009/11/16/obama-ad...
One of President Obama's primary justifications for pushing health care legislation has been that the status quo is "unsustainable" because of the skyrocketing cost of medical care in the United States. The way to rein in costs, he argues, is to do adopt the policies that he and his fellow Democrats are proposing. But a new report by the government actuary at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, a branch of the Obama administration's Department of Health and Human Services, has found that the exact opposite is true.
CMS took a close look at the health care bill that was passed by House Democrats and endorsed by the White House, and it found that not only would the bill not reduce health care costs -- it would increase them. Time and again, we have been reminded that the United States spends a higher percentage of its GDP on health care than any other nation -- about 16 percent. As Obama but it in his June speech to the American Medical Association, "If we fail to act, one out of every five dollars we earn will be spent on health care within a decade." Yet if we adopt the legislation supported by Obama -- which finances expanded coverage through tax increases and Medicare cuts -- health care spending will actually rise to 21.1 percent of GDP, according to CMS, compared to 20.8 percent if we simply do nothing.
----------
The two reasons they gave for the "overhaul" to healthcare: "to cut costs" - NOPE ,costs will go up actually. "to insure everyone" - NOPE, 10ís of millions will still be uninsured. In other words, the plan is a total failure. This is about power and control.
So much for "sustainability now"....
God Bless The USA

Minneapolis, MN

#77 Sep 3, 2010
Jeff T in MPLS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey friend, don't be fooled.
I have worked in health care and the insurance industry over the last 20 plus years.
True story. Woman comes in to give birth with insurance. Has her baby and the bill is almost $22,000.
Same woman, three years later, comes in, has her second child WITHOUT insurance. Goes to billing, they negotiate a cash payment of $2,900.
Now, before jumping to conclusions, I get why the hospital is "sticking it" to the insurance company, not that it makes it right. The REALITY is that the hospital is forced by law to provide medical service to anyone showing up (assuming the hosptial get CMS reimbursement).
However, on average, between 25 - 40% of their services are never paid for...so, they are looking to make up that money.
The sad part is, the insurance industry knows it and Washington DC does as well. But, there is too much money to be made to dismantle the system they have in place (that would wreck their NON-governmental income streams).
Very true! This just happened to my husband. He is self-employed and does not have health insurance as he refuses to pay such high premiums each month. I think he's an idiot about this, but that's another story. Anyway, we thought he was having a stroke a few months back, so we rushed to the hospital. He did have a few TIA's and was kept for 24 hours for observation. The bills started coming in a couple weeks later from the hospital, the ER, the Neurologist, the GP and the Radiologist, each individually. For 24hrs of basically being monitored, a 10 minute visit each from the two doctors, two tests and one drug, the bills totaled over $21,000. The hospital bill alone was a little over $19,000, but because he didn't have insurance, the hospital reduced his bill to $8000. While this is good for us (would have been better if he had insurance, I know) this is the reason health insurance premiums are so high. Obviously, the hospital would have charged the insurance company $11,000 more than they charged us. If they can afford to charge us $8000 they would be able to charge an insurance company $8000 for the same services if it weren't for them having to treat those unable to pay for free.

“Get RIGHT or be left”

www.dreamindemon.com

#78 Sep 3, 2010
God Bless The USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true! This just happened to my husband. He is self-employed and does not have health insurance as he refuses to pay such high premiums each month. I think he's an idiot about this, but that's another story. Anyway, we thought he was having a stroke a few months back, so we rushed to the hospital. He did have a few TIA's and was kept for 24 hours for observation. The bills started coming in a couple weeks later from the hospital, the ER, the Neurologist, the GP and the Radiologist, each individually. For 24hrs of basically being monitored, a 10 minute visit each from the two doctors, two tests and one drug, the bills totaled over $21,000. The hospital bill alone was a little over $19,000, but because he didn't have insurance, the hospital reduced his bill to $8000. While this is good for us (would have been better if he had insurance, I know) this is the reason health insurance premiums are so high. Obviously, the hospital would have charged the insurance company $11,000 more than they charged us. If they can afford to charge us $8000 they would be able to charge an insurance company $8000 for the same services if it weren't for them having to treat those unable to pay for free.
Exactly. You make a real and pertinent point.

If you care to, message me on my Topix page and I can converse with you offline on some options for your husband.

Sadly, because of the TIA's, those will now be considered a pre-existing condition and probably not coverable under a private insurance plan.

Plus, Minnesota is HORRIBLE about insurance. It is expensive and painful.

God bless your husband, your family and you. I will pray that GREAT things unfold for you and yours.
God Bless The USA

Minneapolis, MN

#79 Sep 3, 2010
Jeff T in MPLS wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. You make a real and pertinent point.
If you care to, message me on my Topix page and I can converse with you offline on some options for your husband.
Sadly, because of the TIA's, those will now be considered a pre-existing condition and probably not coverable under a private insurance plan.
Plus, Minnesota is HORRIBLE about insurance. It is expensive and painful.
God bless your husband, your family and you. I will pray that GREAT things unfold for you and yours.
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate the offer, but my husband refuses to discuss it. He's being a stubborn old Swede, but I can't force him. Luckily, he's had no further episodes and we've made some lifestyle changes, so hopefully he'll be okay. Thanks again for your kind words.

“Get RIGHT or be left”

www.dreamindemon.com

#80 Sep 3, 2010
God Bless The USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate the offer, but my husband refuses to discuss it. He's being a stubborn old Swede, but I can't force him. Luckily, he's had no further episodes and we've made some lifestyle changes, so hopefully he'll be okay. Thanks again for your kind words.
I think I understand your husbands position...and appreciate his committment.

Continue in health and prosperity!
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#81 Sep 3, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
I can't wait until we get Universal Coverage.
Yes! Bring on the death panels!
Porkulus

Monroe, LA

#82 Sep 3, 2010
--- The new message:'Improve' health care, don't talk cost ---

Key White House allies are dramatically shifting their attempts to defend health care legislation, abandoning claims that it will reduce costs and deficit, and instead stressing a promise to "improve it." The messaging shift was circulated this afternoon on a conference call and PowerPoint presentation organized by FamiliesUSA -- one of the central groups in the push for the initial legislation. The call was led by a staffer for the Herndon Alliance, which includes leading labor groups and other health care allies. It was based on polling from three top Democratic pollsters, John Anzalone, Celinda Lake, and Stan Greenberg.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0810/T...

Obama sold Healthcare Reform as being More, Cheaper, and Better.

The reality is that we will see declines in ALL three areas.

Not to worry - Sibelius will "re-educate" us!

P T Bull

Hopkins, MN

#83 Sep 3, 2010
QUOTE who="slumming in WI"...Nothing is stopping you from walking into your DR's office and negotiating a cash price for just about anything..

I have tried that with two dentists. I offer to pay my bill before I leave the building so they don't have to file insurance claims and wait for payment. The catch is I asked for the same price they give delta.
They just don't have that sort of mind for business. Its weird.
P T Bull

Hopkins, MN

#84 Sep 3, 2010
Re Irish wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you do not work.

Certainly not a knowledge worker in any case... ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatteras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scooter Rental (Jul '09) Jan 16 Pavlos Lombardi 2
Tropical storm warning issued for North Carolina (Jul '14) Dec '14 Kim Jong Un 5
Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum: 2014 Septembe... Aug '14 isabelle riggs 2
Beach rescue (Jul '14) Jul '14 Lfhersh 1
Hurricane Arthur moves offshore after flooding ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 King Arthur 1
Arthur weakening, downgraded to tropical storm (Jul '14) Jul '14 Betsy 1
TV News Crews Head to North Carolina for Hurric... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Sol 4
Hatteras Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hatteras People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:51 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:51PM
How Redskins Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report 3:57 AM
Redskins Miss out on Opportunity in DC Search
Bleacher Report 7:00 AM
How Long Should Leash Be for the Current 'Skins Regime?
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl