The Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk, Nort...

The Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina

There are 48 comments on the Associated Content story from Aug 15, 2009, titled The Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In it, Associated Content reports that:

I have been to the Black Pelican Restaurant dozens of times, and have never, EVER, been disappointed with any of my meals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WHATSUP

Lillington, NC

#1 Aug 18, 2009
Okay, so what is your point? That you personally are satisfied?
lookee here

Sanford, NC

#2 Aug 18, 2009
Some people think Red Lobster has good seafood. Personally I've had good meals at Black Pelican and I've had some not so good meals there. I've really never had anything impressive there.
OBXer the original

Henderson, NC

#3 Aug 18, 2009
The Dirty Bird is not the best place in town but it is not the worst either. The wood fired pizza is pretty good but the food is pretty average and I go there a lot for lunch.
obxlocal

Kitty Hawk, NC

#4 Aug 20, 2009
Great place, good food, never let me down.
dizzy blond

Manteo, NC

#5 Oct 22, 2009
Poor servers and food sub-standard...and place is filthy
Food Safety Council

Manteo, NC

#6 Oct 22, 2009
dizzy blond wrote:
Poor servers and food sub-standard...and place is filthy
Absolutely correct. You should see the kitchen. Food is NOT sub-standard...it sucks!
Food Safety Council

Manteo, NC

#7 Oct 22, 2009
Blackened tuna. Easy way to cover up nasty old fish.
OBXinspectors

Angier, NC

#8 Oct 23, 2009
There are several restaurants that either need to clean their act or ship out. One in Nags Head specifically. These retaurants get away with filthy condtions and need to be inspected a little closer; also serve old food to locals because there is not the turn around they have in summer. I like Black Pelican.. it used to be a fun nice place to go, but you are right it is nasty and needs to be thoroughly cleaned top to bottom. I guess everyone wants to blame the economy for cutting costs, including labor to clear or cook like everything else down here.
One of the guys

Manteo, NC

#9 Oct 23, 2009
The chicken salad and pizza are pretty good.
Agree

Ramseur, NC

#10 Oct 23, 2009
that the chicken salad and pizza at BP are good. They're the only two things I ever order there b/c of it.

Atmosphere is nice but kinda gross when the dust gets too thick...similar to Jolly Roger.
Dayton Cooper

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Nov 15, 2009
My wife and I own a house in Kitty Hawk and go to the Black Pelican at least three times a year (for many years). We always have the seafood pizza (and I always have a draft beer with it)which is absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to get back there again.
OBXer

Loon Lake, WA

#12 Nov 15, 2009
I agree with the above post, the pizza and chicken salad are the best.
Vox

United States

#13 Nov 17, 2009
Was really happy with BP until I was served a credit card sized piece of dried out swordfish. Sent it back and waited for almost 20 minutes for replacement. The old piece had been slid off the plate and replaced with another tiny piece that would have been better used as a roof shingle. I was told the chef was too busy to get to my order. I am a chef and corrections are priority...fix it before making new ones. Very disappointed.
OBX-er the original

Henderson, NC

#14 Nov 18, 2009
Vox, I find your story pretty hard to swallow. I can't imagine a waitress telling you that the chef was to busy to get to an order. "They are very busy in the kitchen" would be more likely and as a chef I imagine you are very picky and exaggerated this story.
idjit

Sanford, NC

#15 Nov 18, 2009
OBX-er the original wrote:
Vox, I find your story pretty hard to swallow. I can't imagine a waitress telling you that the chef was to busy to get to an order. "They are very busy in the kitchen" would be more likely and as a chef I imagine you are very picky and exaggerated this story.
Sounds right to me. I've had some seriously poor service there in the past.

I actually had a waiter argue with me over what I ordered. I had ordered the tuna sandwich but he brought me the tuna plate.
the dust bunnies

Hillsborough, NC

#16 Nov 19, 2009
must've been clogging up that waiter's ears.
Kitty Hawker

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#17 Nov 23, 2009
Wow, I live in Kitty Hawk and have alot of friends who frequent the Black Pelican on a regular basis. It is a happening place with good food. I have found that if there is a problem the staff and management strive to make it right. The kitchen puts out some great food and the menu offers alot of choices.
WHATSUP wrote:
Okay, so what is your point? That you personally are satisfied?
obx local

Manteo, NC

#18 Nov 23, 2009
I'll say it again I've eaten there since they opened - great place, good food, never let me down. I am sure they make mistakes - all you need to do is ask for management and they WILL make it right - that is why they are still around and popular.
Vox

Beaufort, SC

#19 Nov 25, 2009
OBX-er the original wrote:
I did not exaggerate...and yes I am VERY picky when it comes to guest service. I found it hard to swallow that the 'chef was too busy' to fix my meal, so I talked with the manager. After 20 minutes of waiting, my husband had eaten and I had yet to get my plate back. She comped my meal, which was satisfactory.
WBobskill

Cummington, MA

#20 Nov 30, 2009
My family stayed with a cousin at Southern Shores this summer. We ate at the BP and had a really good experience dining there. Very busy place, but good fare etc. Even the "Julio Punch" was great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatteras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five arrested in Outer Banks drug investigations (Jun '13) Mar 2 Got it wrong 13
News Dare County estimates Matthew caused $52 millio... Oct '16 Randy l 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in North Ca... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Wicked 26
RAV4 AWD in Sand? (Jun '11) Sep '16 Surf1986 6
so many blacks (Aug '16) Aug '16 anthonygibbs 1
Homes (Jun '16) Jun '16 Lawless4 1
News 'Dr. Beach' chooses North Carolina's Ocracoke I... (Jun '07) Jun '16 Etta 13

Hatteras Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hatteras Mortgages