Researcher: Oil Spill Could Reach NC ...

Researcher: Oil Spill Could Reach NC In Two Weeks

There are 2 comments on the WFMY 2 Greensboro story from Jun 5, 2010, titled Researcher: Oil Spill Could Reach NC In Two Weeks. In it, WFMY 2 Greensboro reports that:

An ocean scientist says oil from the Gulf of Mexico could reach North Carolina's beaches within two weeks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMY 2 Greensboro.

Cooperation Is Needed

Belton, TX

#1 Jun 5, 2010
I have some more thoughts about possibilities to help with the oil spill. Yes, it’s easy for me to sit here at my computer and not do any of the work I’m suggesting. I have a job and our money is tight, so I couldn’t take off even if I wanted to. If I did live in the Gulf area I would help out in my spare time since I would be nearby. I have a terrible fear this will prove to be the greatest ecological disaster in the United States, and potentially the world.

Finger pointing won’t get anything done. Many politicians are worthless. Rodney Dangerfield has more respect than Congress! They only care about themselves, so the hell with them. Money and power doesn’t mean you are right. You may get your way, but it doesn’t mean you are right. That applies anywhere.

Can successful businesses take the lead because they get things done? Wal-Mart, other successful businesses, church groups, any organizations. Your local areas know what is needed and what can be done because it’s unique to you. Those of us who don’t live there don’t know.

Can untainted fish, crabs, shrimp, etc. be put into fish farms. I’m talking of instead of catching oiled fish in the open water, raise untainted fish in abandoned ponds or reservoirs, or something similar. Are there any theme parks or something similar that have closed down that can be used? I’m also talking about transporting dolphins, lobsters, turtles, birds, manatees, and other sea life and plants to such places. Nationwide.

Can areas not yet affected be closed off with sandbags or whatever will work so oil doesn’t contaminate these areas. This would probably be best since blocking off a small area can potentially save many inlets, etc. This would save a lot of time, giving more bang for your buck. This man is the perpetrator of this terrible accident, man must also be the protector.

What lessons were learned from the Exxon Valdez and other oil spills that can be used here? This would save wasted effort.

Just as you prepare for a hurricane, you prepare with this case. You know hurricanes will be coming. It’s much worse this time because they will be “oilcanes.” Far more deadly due to toxicity.

Is the oil going to hit the east coast in the near future? If so, they have more time to get things done.

Get advice from local fishermen, Sea World, marine biologist, or anyone else who deals with the ocean. They’re the experts. They have the knowledge. Teamwork

GOD BLESS THE VOLUNTEERS!!!
Cooperation Is Needed

Belton, TX

#2 Jun 6, 2010
The BP Gulf of Mexico oil tragedy brings home the point of how fragile and interconnected life on our planet is. No doubt untold billions of untold marine sea creatures will die from this catastrophe. The most heartbreaking is – and this is not the first time we’ve witnessed it – that innocent birds, fish, dolphins, turtles, jellyfish, and many other life forms will be lost. The pictures made me cry. How many millions of people and how many businesses will be affected directly and indirectly from the fallout?
To any reasonable person, feeling helpless to save blameless animals, plants, beaches, etc. die through no fault of their own, has to be the most heart wrenching emotion. Bless the volunteers who are doing what they can to save lives.
I thought the oil companies had ways to shut down pipelines in such an event at this. This would seem logical in order to avoid what has been happening. I’ve read that BP has not had the greatest safety track record. I still believe this could have easily happened to any of their competitors. I could be wrong.
Oil companies are not the most trusted businesses around. They’ve earned such a reputation. I do have a question applicable to anyone. How much power and money is enough? Of course you want to earn a profit. To do otherwise would be foolish. If Warren Buffett were to put a $10 million check into an oil filled glass of water, and someone earning $20,000 a year did the same, the water still wouldn’t come out clean. My point is that no matter how much money or power you have or lack, it will be worthless in the face of a dead or dying environment.
“Common” people very often have answers to problems. Sadly, however, if they lack the four-year of higher college sheepskin, these people are very often ignored.
The world is so intertwined that we have to help each other out in this struggle called life. Life should be easier than it is. People run the world. When we succumb to jealousy and greed the letter “i,” then we ruin the world. This makes a big difference in the results. A nice dose of humanity added to the equation is a very important addition to the formula of life.
I’ve heard people complain about deer eating their plants. Builders create housing and business developments, thus encroaching on land used by wildlife. They are squeezed out or stay in the area and eat what they can. We have to co-exist. And when such new areas are created, it would be nice if thought would be given to the wildlife in the area. This mentality would help people to have a greater respect for life around them. It should also translate into better relationships with other people.
Our environment, pets, and wildlife are at our mercy, for good or bad. Humanity is responsible for what happens on our planet. It’s imperative that we keep this in mind. There is more to life than the almighty dollar. We have only one planet & are accountable for its well being, and in the end, our own.
With all this in mind, can animals not yet affected by the toxic oil spill be captured and brought to inland sanctuaries where they cannot escape? Can others be transported to zoos? While I’m not crazy about that idea, it’s far better than having them perish by a creation not of their doing.
Can many volunteers from welfare recipients, unemployed, and healthy elderly help save such wildlife? Can areas be blocked off to prevent oil contamination? I confess to ignorance of such matters. I do know that thinking out of the box can result in wonders being accomplished.
Solar and wind energy are clean energy. Yes, we do need oil, as so much depends on it. The other energy alternatives will probably have a hard time making it to the mainstream, as oil companies have money, power, and politicians in their pockets. Everyone knows it. What good are such things in a dead environment? Doing the right thing leads to many winning situations. Change the way things are done for the benefit of all. Look at the Gulf of Mexico and the Amazon Forest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatteras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five arrested in Outer Banks drug investigations (Jun '13) Apr 8 Abe Thomas 15
News Dare County estimates Matthew caused $52 millio... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Randy l 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in North Ca... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Wicked 26
RAV4 AWD in Sand? (Jun '11) Sep '16 Surf1986 6
so many blacks (Aug '16) Aug '16 anthonygibbs 1
News 'Dr. Beach' chooses North Carolina's Ocracoke I... (Jun '07) Jun '16 Etta 13
Jon midgettof complete construction is a fraud (Aug '15) Aug '15 ExKDHcop 1

Hatteras Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hatteras Mortgages