Fire guts Sun-News building

Fire guts Sun-News building

There are 25 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jan 16, 2011, titled Fire guts Sun-News building. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Kristy Harris and her 10-year-old son Jody, an aspiring firefighter, were headed to the public library just after 1 p.m. Sunday when a fire truck, alive with lights and sirens, pulled in front of them and tore off in downtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ITOLDYOU

Lawton, OK

#26 Jan 17, 2011
Southern Mexico amazes me of the number of clowns, backwood desert rats, and real life characters from Green Acres. You need to worry about more important matters like helping your neigbor who has lost an income from the fire, Ben!!! Go help and clean up, Mr. Haney!!! Volunteer to run errands for them, Bozo the Clown!!! Go battle the aliens (from outer space) that have invaded your neigborhood Will Robinson!!!
Common Sense

Brighton, MI

#27 Jan 18, 2011
Amy R wrote:
We also heard it was a million gallons, so to whoever thinks that's too much water to put out a fire, you obviously didn't see this one!
A million gallons in one hour??? It may have LOOKED like a million gallons to an ignorant onlooker, but the Las Cruces Fire Dept. doesn't even have enough pumpers to pump a million gallons of water in one hour. That comes out to over 16 thousand gallons a minute. Those big streams of water you see flowing from the ladder truck are probably flowing at about 1000 gallons per minute. The average fire engine can only pump 1500 gallons per minute. The city has 6 pumpers and two ladder trucks. It would take over 10 fire engines all pumping at full capacity to pump a million gallons in an hour. That also means they would have to find 10 hydrants in the area to feed off of. Plus, I don't think the water mains in that area of town are sufficient enough to provide a million gallons of water in one hour.

http://www.las-cruces.org/fire/apparatus_e1.h...
WWJD

Birmingham, MI

#28 Jan 18, 2011
stopTAGGING ourWALLS wrote:
holy moly....a million gallons.
A historic building burned.
A beautiful day to be outdoors.
No one reported injured.
We saw black smoke high in the air visible from University Ave. area just after 12:15pm after church.
Film at eleven.
You will enjoy this one:

Me:“Hello, how are you today?”

Customer:“I’m rich with the love of the Lord.”

(The customer places a pamphlet about religion on the register in front of me.)

Me:“Oh…I’m sorry, but I’m not interested. Thank you.”

Customer:“That is exactly why you need it. Sin is everywhere.”

(I finish bagging the items and place the pamphlet in her bag.)

Me:“Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your day!”

Customer:“Go to h***!”
wow wow WOW

Las Cruces, NM

#29 Jan 18, 2011
Amy R wrote:
We also heard it was a million gallons, so to whoever thinks that's too much water to put out a fire, you obviously didn't see this one!
Amy, are you related to Ashley Meeks? Think about it....a MILLION gallons of water? It is obvious that lack of common sense is alive and well in LC.
Your kidding right

Albuquerque, NM

#30 Mar 11, 2011
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sun News owned that building. It was used to store old records.
That's the point, dude. They owned the building, kept VERY old records and older newspapers in there. The building had been in horrible shape for years and the sun news didn't care, just let it go until it caught fire and burned down. An old publisher kept his furniture in there for free storage...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 17 hr Nicki 6,993
News NMSU student promotes understanding with free Q... Dec 4 Khan the liar 3
Ivan Dec 1 Yep 2
daso and da office - another $210 k loss Nov 28 SycNtired 3
ABQ Rail Runner Is Excellent Nov 28 Las Cruces Needs It2 1
da dantonio released two officers involved in j... Nov 26 Wow 1
nita tredway/rusak (Mar '15) Nov 21 Nita rusak 15

Hatch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance