Fire guts Sun-News building

Kristy Harris and her 10-year-old son Jody, an aspiring firefighter, were headed to the public library just after 1 p.m. Sunday when a fire truck, alive with lights and sirens, pulled in front of them and tore off in downtown. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#1 Jan 16, 2011
holy moly....a million gallons.

A historic building burned.

A beautiful day to be outdoors.

No one reported injured.

We saw black smoke high in the air visible from University Ave. area just after 12:15pm after church.

Film at eleven.
Ted

Los Lunas, NM

#4 Jan 17, 2011
Breaking news: We're on FIRE!!!!
Reality Check

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jan 17, 2011
Circulation down, paper losing money...hmmm...
NLT

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Jan 17, 2011
Thank God nobody was hurt....seriously.

However, it would be so very wonderful if this trash newspaper was replaced with a good newspaper that is not biased or out to ridicule/bash certain groups of people. My perception of Sun-News employees is that they are lowly paid, resentful people who walk around with a chip on their shoulder so it almost seems like they have nothing better to do than cause drama. Cut the drama and gives us real news. I am tired of having to go to kob.com to read about what is happening in the state.

I laughed at your supposedly top news article list that you published a week or so ago. It does not mean that people enjoyed those articles. You know why the salary article came up with so many hits? Because all of the employees (a lot) were the ones who were concerned about what you published about them. An article with a lot of hits does not mean it was good reading. I guess some of those articles were like a bad car wreck. You know it is not worth looking at, but you have gotta take a "look see" to see what the old LC Scum-News have come up with now. Good luck to you all. All I can say is karma.....
Dan

Buffalo, NY

#7 Jan 17, 2011
Sorry to hear it. Good luck, guys.
Steve M

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jan 17, 2011
Well, that's our newspaper. Someone else had to tell them that the building they were in was on fire.
Sun-News Critic

Ashburn, VA

#9 Jan 17, 2011
... Poetic Justice !!!!
Len

United States

#10 Jan 17, 2011
LC Today wrote:
If the Sun-News has plans to replace the building with a new one, perhaps they can replace the newspaper with a new, balanced, unbiased newspaper as well.
A time and place for everything, used to be something people lived by.
Len

United States

#11 Jan 17, 2011
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, maybe fox news can buy it so they too can be" fair and balanced."
Or maybe CNN they are ALWAYS unbiased.
Your kidding right

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jan 17, 2011
The building that burned is next door to sun news. The fire did them a favor. They would not have cleaned up that dilapidated building otherwise.
Among You Soon

San Clemente, CA

#13 Jan 17, 2011
Yea, we've all seen this before. as one poster said, business down, losing money.......OMG, a fire! Not very inventive..........
blah blah

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jan 17, 2011
Such a shame. Too bad it didn't spread to Del Valle Graphics.
Yeah I Got an Opinion

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jan 17, 2011
It sounds like the building NEXT to the Sun News main building caught on fire. Your story does not cleary state if there was any damage in the main building.
Reader

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jan 17, 2011
GOOD!! Pay the Devil Her Due..
Whatever

United States

#17 Jan 17, 2011
Len wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe CNN they are ALWAYS unbiased.
Either way someone will Butch. Fox is blatent though and claims balanced.
Wecc

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Jan 17, 2011
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, maybe fox news can buy it so they too can be" fair and balanced."
Oh just STFU will ya.
Huh

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Jan 17, 2011
A million gallons of water? In one hour? That comes out to over 16 thousand gallons a minute. Most fire engines have a capacity of about 2000 to 2500 gallons per minute. To flow a million gallons in one hour would have required every single fire pump in Las Cruces flowing at full capacity! I don't even think our water supply system could handle that kind of demand. Don't these reporters think about what they write?
Huh

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Jan 17, 2011
Your kidding right wrote:
The building that burned is next door to sun news. The fire did them a favor. They would not have cleaned up that dilapidated building otherwise.
The Sun News owned that building. It was used to store old records.
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

#23 Jan 17, 2011
Huh wrote:
A million gallons of water? In one hour? That comes out to over 16 thousand gallons a minute. Most fire engines have a capacity of about 2000 to 2500 gallons per minute. To flow a million gallons in one hour would have required every single fire pump in Las Cruces flowing at full capacity! I don't even think our water supply system could handle that kind of demand. Don't these reporters think about what they write?
A Million Gallons...No WAY!! I was there and it looked more a a GaZillion gallons to me.
Amy R

Las Cruces, NM

#25 Jan 17, 2011
We also heard it was a million gallons, so to whoever thinks that's too much water to put out a fire, you obviously didn't see this one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Unemployment rate rises for NM cities as other ... (Jul '13) 4 hr Francia 388
News Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard (Jun '11) 8 hr Pity the fool 363
News Anti-bullying bill passes New Mexico Senate (2:... (Feb '11) 9 hr trying 25
affrique (May '12) 12 hr gab 228
News Robbery suspect commits suicide - Alamogordo Da... (Feb '08) 20 hr Mr T 85
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Thu scirocco 71,697
nita tredway/rusak Mar 25 Kimberly atencio 8
Hatch Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hatch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]