Dona Ana County's trash-voucher system raises concerns

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Doa Ana County's system for collecting trash-dumping fees has come under fire, as some residents have complained that it's too inconvenient.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Great Scott

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

Judged:

This is such a dumb and ridiculous program. You have to "buy" vouchers to go to dump at the dump?? I'm laughing my a$$ off at this. Who is the incompetent numb skull who thought this one up? A 5 year old? Now we all know why there is so many illegal dumping's throughout the county. The moron who thought this up needs to be sent throughout the county and made to pick up all the garbage. Then fire his a$$!!.
Nate

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

simple solution wrote:
... All you people that are fed up just trying to dispose of your trash within Doņa Ana County ... just DUMP all of your trash on the front steps of the Doņa Ana County Government Center ... that should send a STRONG message to those county politicians trying to remedy this problem ... besides, some people have mentioned to me that that the government center resembles a DUMP anyway ...
You may want to attend tomorrow's county commissioner's meeting and voice the opinions you have posted.
cycle

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

You want names of morons who thought this revenue scheme up: Brian Haines- Manager, Sue Padilla - Ass Manager/Utilities Dir, and all of the Commissioners that voted to approve it.
Great Scott wrote:
This is such a dumb and ridiculous program. You have to "buy" vouchers to go to dump at the dump?? I'm laughing my a$$ off at this. Who is the incompetent numb skull who thought this one up? A 5 year old? Now we all know why there is so many illegal dumping's throughout the county. The moron who thought this up needs to be sent throughout the county and made to pick up all the garbage. Then fire his a$$!!.
Realist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2010

Judged:

I have never bought vouchers.

I have always slipped the guy a FIVER and dumped my trash.

Does the county really think this is not the norm?
dan need to dump

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

I showed up to the dump on friday at like 4;30pm and the guy said i needed to have some ridiculious coupon! i was so upset and then on top of that he couldnt even sell one so i wouldnt carry my trash all over lc for easter weekend. anyway can some tell me where i get these stupid things because i have an entire burnt down mobile home to dump. Just one more pain in the ass in the whole nightmare.
David

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2012

Maybe if enough people show there unhappiness they will consider a new idea. I was surprised to see so many of my concerned fello citizens of Chaparral with such a similar, strong opinion. Keep the comments coming people. Even if nothing changes at least I got a good laugh from reading some of your comments. :)
Ex- El Paso resident

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

The county as usual does not think about the ramifications of this action.

Everyone with property with improvements on it (house or building) produces some type of solid waste.

Allow two options:

1. Assess a fee on property taxes to cover solid waste (where the property has improvements). This way the budegt for solid waste is very stable and everyone that uses it pays. For very poor folks it can be waived if they can prove they are below a certain income level.

2. Use a waste disposal company that already pays fees for disposal of solid waste. If you contract with a disposal company you do not get assessed the fee.

No fees charged at tranfer stations or dump (by either option).

This takes away the incentive for illegal dumping. Many folks will simply drive into the desert and dump their loads if they 1. have to pay. 2. the county makes it hard to pay (have to go to the county building during working hours and buy tickets).

If you cannot get out of paying and it is automatic (paid through property taxes or to disposal company) then there is no incentive to illegally dump. Make illegal dumping very costly.

Now the solid waste goes where it needs to go and everyone generating it pays.

I thought this is what the county did for a long time.

Oh forgot it worked so Dona Ana county needs to scrap that idea. Cannot have ideas in this county that work or make life easier for the citizens.
Ex- El Paso resident

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Realist wrote:
I have never bought vouchers.
I have always slipped the guy a FIVER and dumped my trash.
Does the county really think this is not the norm?
I would guess a 12 pack of bud lite would probably do the trick as well.
Ex- El Paso resident

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Great Scott wrote:
That is why the had to build the multi million dollar monument to wasteful government spending on Motel Blvd.

Had to have some where to sell those coupons from.

Keep in mind when you have a $22 Million dollar settlement to pay for the jail revenue is important. At $5 a dump when they sell 4,400,000 coupons they will have that $22M bill covered!!!

With the folks dumping illegally (because doing it legal is such a pain) and considering the population of the county that should have the 4,400,000 coupons sold by 2112.

“ keep the loonies on the path.”

Since: Aug 10

Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2012

Judged:

By not having at least a kiosk at the dump sites to get that pathetic little coupon, the county is remanding themselves to many years of cleaning up the illegal sites all over the county.
ah yup

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2012

The joke is on the City of Las Cruces as far as I'm concerned. It's just me and the dogs just outside the city limits in the county, so my household does not make that much trash.

It's not worth the fee to take it to the transfer station or hire a hauler for all the trash the dogs and I make, and would be a real reeking mess by the time I got enough together anyway to be worth the trip. Most of mine gets put in the low grade plastic bags the stores use for purchases, and gets pitched into the outside sidewalk trash cans at gas stations, strip malls, etc. Stuff originally too big for that, like boxes, gets cut up with a hunting knife into chunks small enough to fit. What the heck - I pay taxes on most stuff I buy in town, so I figure I'm getting a service in return for the taxes Las Cruces gets out of my wallet.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hatch Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hatch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••