Dona Ana County's trash-voucher system raises concerns

Doa Ana County's system for collecting trash-dumping fees has come under fire, as some residents have complained that it's too inconvenient. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
scraper

AOL

#1 Nov 21, 2010
it is so stupid we cant buy the coupons and the land fill, most people work and cant buy them during the week. if you cant trust your employees to sell them that is not the publics fault, but we are being punished.
Carlos Spiceeweiner

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Nov 21, 2010
Meanwhile, the deserts are suffering from the most intensive illegal dumping I have seen in years. Drive up to the Hill substation and go up the arroyos and trails leading off the main road. It's disgusting what's happening to the desert! Piles of trash are accumulating everywhere!

PLEASE SELL THE TICKETS AT THE WASTE STATION! If the county can't trust the employees not to steal money, get new employees!
yeahright

United States

#3 Nov 21, 2010
Carlos Spiceeweiner wrote:
Meanwhile, the deserts are suffering from the most intensive illegal dumping I have seen in years. Drive up to the Hill substation and go up the arroyos and trails leading off the main road. It's disgusting what's happening to the desert! Piles of trash are accumulating everywhere!
PLEASE SELL THE TICKETS AT THE WASTE STATION! If the county can't trust the employees not to steal money, get new employees!
and I guarantee you I will be dumping mine in the desert. They can take this trash fee and stick it up their a55. They raise property taxes every single year while values decline and then CHARGE TO DUMP SOME TRASH?????? No way. Please enjoy my trash on the landscape.
leonard

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Nov 21, 2010
yeahright wrote:
<quoted text> and I guarantee you I will be dumping mine in the desert. They can take this trash fee and stick it up their a55. They raise property taxes every single year while values decline and then CHARGE TO DUMP SOME TRASH?????? No way. Please enjoy my trash on the landscape.
Maybe the city people should do the same. Charging us to seperate our garbage.
Concerned

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Nov 21, 2010
Thanks County!! How come the residents weren't even notified of this?? I showed up with a truck full of trash only to be turned away!! This is how I've been dumping my trash for years and now all of a sudden I can't. This is ridiculous!

“ keep the loonies on the path.”

Since: Aug 10

Detroit

#6 Nov 21, 2010
They need a automated kiosk that accepts cards and cash at the dump site...Problem solved.
wait

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Nov 21, 2010
Wait til these more ons take over health care!
ITOLDYOU

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Nov 21, 2010
yeahright wrote:
<quoted text> and I guarantee you I will be dumping mine in the desert. They can take this trash fee and stick it up their a55. They raise property taxes every single year while values decline and then CHARGE TO DUMP SOME TRASH?????? No way. Please enjoy my trash on the landscape.
Its ones like you that make New Mexico the scenic place known to all others in the country today. Increase the taxes so that more employees can be hired, and have a large bulk pick-up offered once/month at one's property. Place a lien on one's property and a $5000 fine for those caught dumping illegally.
EEE

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Nov 21, 2010
I hate to admit it but I drove about a quater mile into the desert and dumped a couple truck loads after I ran into this problem...
Disgruntled

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Nov 21, 2010
Showed up with trash as usual and was turned away because I didn't have a stupid punch card. Nowhere available to purchase at the time. What was I supposed to do with trash full of truck? Next time I will dump it on my County Commissioner's lawn.
Nate

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Nov 21, 2010
Disgruntled wrote:
Showed up with trash as usual and was turned away because I didn't have a stupid punch card. Nowhere available to purchase at the time. What was I supposed to do with trash full of truck? Next time I will dump it on my County Commissioner's lawn.
The commissioners are partly at fault on this screw up, but you should blame the county manager and his staff for this one. They spend too much time micromanaging and not enough time thinking through the problems. Total control is the name of their game and this mess is a consequence of their controlling managerial style.
lost causes

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Nov 21, 2010
EEE wrote:
I hate to admit it but I drove about a quater mile into the desert and dumped a couple truck loads after I ran into this problem...
any illegal dumping and they will go through your trash and find anything with your name or address on it. It will come back to you with a stiff fine or even jail
LC Today

AOL

#13 Nov 21, 2010
People around here have always been inherent slobs. Too damned lazy to pick up after themselves, and God, forbid, put their trash in the appropriate place.

Now, they whine because they may actually have to do a little more to find a place for their garbage. Remove your heads from your self absorbed backsides, and do what you need to do, when you need to do it.
LC Today

AOL

#14 Nov 21, 2010
EEE wrote:
You don't have much respect for anything, do you? Please post your address so I can dump my next load on your lawn, ok?
LC Today

AOL

#15 Nov 21, 2010
Disgruntled wrote:
With a trash full of truck? Are you really this stupid? I guess so.
Jamey

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Nov 21, 2010
The various problems that would be encountered with the new "fee" system were pointed out to the county commissioner prior to this new "tax" being levied. And this IS a tax, not a fee. A fee is for a legitimate service and the recipient of that "service" always has the choice to buy the product from one source or choose a competitor. There are no competitors here. The present commercial trash company pick-up in the county IS NOT a competitor, in that they pick up at the homeowner's residence. They do not charge the homeowner for allowing him to transport his own trash to the waste transfer site.

If government is going to try to stick to the claim of providing a "service" to the general public, then they ought to be required to fund the establishment of a competitor to their "service". This is a well established and well used method employed by government to force a private sector company to provide for price and product competition with themselves. Is government exempt from the same competitive commercial rules they require for all private companies, under the threat of fine and/or imprisonment?

The failure of the county government to provide the convenience of the purchase of dumping tickets at the waste transfer stations is indicative of the typical government attitude toward the payer of a "tax" - not a fee for service. The public pays the "tax" at the pleasure and convenience of the government. The payer of a fee would be at the pleasure and convenience of the user of the service - as is done in the private sector.
fed up

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Nov 21, 2010
Dona Ana County government is one of the stupidest organizations I have ever encountered. As far as I can tell, they never get ANYTHING right.
cycle

Peoria, AZ

#18 Nov 21, 2010
It's not the government as a whole that has continously made these haphazard decisions - it's the County Manager, Brian Haines and his inability to lead so he allows his minion Assistant County Manager Sue Padilla to take the bait and think she's actually "leading". All she does is make a half-a** decision, then run to the County Attorney to tell her how to clean up her own messes. Brian Haines isn't even at work to see these lousy decisions. Problem is NONE of the decisions Mr. Haines and Mrs. Padilla make have any planning or thought process involved. Neither one of them have the ability to be leaders and they prove it every single day. They are where they are because they bend over when instructed and repeat "Please sir may I have another".

The taxpayers are the ones who suffer due to the County's poor leaders. The Commissioner's allow them to remain in their comfy offices thinking they're great leaders.
fed up wrote:
Dona Ana County government is one of the stupidest organizations I have ever encountered. As far as I can tell, they never get ANYTHING right.
Harry

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Nov 21, 2010
The county tried this a number of years back. It lasted for about six months, then they found out how much it was costing to clean up the desert in the areas around the transfer points. I think it was STUPID of the county to try to make up a monetary shortfall by using coupons. The use of coupons discourages people from properly disposing of their trash at the transfer stations.
Of course, they will always come up with some excuse as to why it is better this way. I've lived here over 30 years and the politicians never seem to be able to look past the end of their noses. Nor do they look to the past and learn from the decisions (good or bad) made by previous city and county governments.
I tried a commercial service but it was too expensive. I now take my trash to the dump once a month so it isn't too expensive. For Others, who might have more trash, it will cost them more.
The locations to buy the coupons is really inconvenient to say the least. I would need to drive to Radium Springs or to Motel Blvd to buy new coupons; I live NW of Dona Ana, so I spend about $10 in fuel to get the stupid coupons.
simple solution

Ashburn, VA

#20 Nov 22, 2010
... All you people that are fed up just trying to dispose of your trash within Doņa Ana County ... just DUMP all of your trash on the front steps of the Doņa Ana County Government Center ... that should send a STRONG message to those county politicians trying to remedy this problem ... besides, some people have mentioned to me that that the government center resembles a DUMP anyway ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferray and her lying ads! 24 min Bloodonhishands 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 hr JOEL 70,105
Review: CD General Contractors Fri posterchld 1
dumbascaps running for the woodwork Thu bloodonhishands 1
Kiki has no qualifications Oct 21 George 2
Some gay-rights foes claim they now are bullied (Jun '11) Oct 19 Anonymous 12,364
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Oct 18 justice is just a... 6,084
Hatch Dating
Find my Match

Hatch Jobs

Hatch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hatch News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hatch

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]