Some Hatch Farmers Turn From Chile To Cotton

Aug 11, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KOAT-TV

Farming in Hatch, N.M., is nearly synonymous with green chile, but a lot of farmers in the area are falling in love with another cash crop - cotton.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Aug 11, 2011
Riggerup

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

It is disheartening that Hatch chile growers are looking at cotton as an alternative crop to chiles. Cotton is not green, not good for the environment and wasteful of water.

Industrial Hemp would be a much better crop for New Mexico, and it is time for our representatives to work for legislation that would legalize the growing of this incredible crop. Hemp provides food, clothing and fuel to name but three of the myriad of products produced from this renewable resource.

The false association with Marijuana that produces a "high" has kept this crop from being legal by the DEA. This lie has kept Hemp from being grown here since the 2nd World War. Canada has legalized the growing of Industrial Hemp and the results have been spectacular.

Please consider speaking out against Cotton in New Mexico, and impress upon your representatives the value and need for Industrial Hemp
aa jondo

Espanola, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

I noticed on a recent trip to Hatch for a Village meeting, that a lot of cotton is growing in spots I usually saw chile. I was surprised, but there happens to be a lot of demand for it, and competition with Mexican chile is tough. Neither crops are doing that well due to drought. It is unusual to see someone boldly come out with an alternative energy and textile source. Especially such a controversial one. Your observations are correct, although I wouldn't go so far as to condem cotton, but I certainly do like the idea of pushing for hemp production. Fumes from the biofuel made from the oils will not get the country high!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hatch Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hatch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••