Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
46,881 - 46,900 of 68,920 Comments Last updated 13 min ago
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
To show how asinine your alleged conspiracy is, at least 50% of the US population, including the current fed govt believes the Iraq war was not necessary. So,where is the conspiracy?
I didnt know a federal government had thoughts and feelings.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
The argument is about the conspiracy, not necessity, anyway those things change over time (people's views).
Not quite sure about that poll because i saw one where Iraq was some how tied to 9/11.
The afgan was was unecessary as well.
You do realize that an election was won partly over this issue?

Only a few right wingers still believe that Iraq was behind 911. And lots of people, myself included initially supported the war but still never thought for a moment that there was a 911 connection. Rather, we thought there were WMDs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
I didnt know a federal government had thoughts and feelings.
Fed governmnent is staffed by humans.

You need to get out of your basement more often.

Anyway, I see you gave up on the CO2 article critique. Does science give you a head ache?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

former res wrote:
I didn't know the tea party groups were advocating illegal activities. Is this isolated or widespread? Are they promoting tax evasion? I never heard this.
Tax aversion (not liking taxes) and tax evasion (a federal crime) or two different things.
I also didn't hear this as a defense or justification by the IRS in response. Only that it was lower level employees. Though I haven't read a whole lot about it yet.
Hadn't heard the comparison with DWB (driving while black) issue. That sort of profiling is wrong. The kind that AL EL does is right and we should be doing the same, political correctness aside.(Those folks know how to run a relatively safe airline.) I think we agree on this.
On the face of it, though a federal gov't agency targeting groups of Americans for increased scrutiny based on their free speech/political views sounds and looks pretty bad to me.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0220/Joe-St... (page)/2

The Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project counts five known domestic terrorist plots against the IRS in the past 15 years. Tensions are rising as federal tax authorities have begun stepping up collection efforts in the midst of flagging tax receipts.

"There's been an explosive growth of anti-government militias and so-called Patriot groups over the past year, and the central idea of many of them is that taxes are completely illegitimate," Intelligence Project editor Mark Potok tells Fox News.

Itís not just conservatives, either. Part of the tax resistance movement is left-wing resisters who donít want their tax money spent on foreign wars..."
----------

plus the fact that these groups are political parties - which I beleive is in violation of 5013c (in some way - not an expert)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

former res wrote:
I didn't know the tea party groups were advocating illegal activities. Is this isolated or widespread? Are they promoting tax evasion? I never heard this.
Tax aversion (not liking taxes) and tax evasion (a federal crime) or two different things.
I also didn't hear this as a defense or justification by the IRS in response. Only that it was lower level employees. Though I haven't read a whole lot about it yet.
Hadn't heard the comparison with DWB (driving while black) issue. That sort of profiling is wrong. The kind that AL EL does is right and we should be doing the same, political correctness aside.(Those folks know how to run a relatively safe airline.) I think we agree on this.
On the face of it, though a federal gov't agency targeting groups of Americans for increased scrutiny based on their free speech/political views sounds and looks pretty bad to me.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tax-Resistance...

Excerpt: The Tea Party movement (TPM) is an American populist political movement which is generally recognized as conservative and libertarian, and has sponsored protests and supported political candidates since 2009. It endorses reduced government spending, opposition to taxation in varying degrees, reduction of the national debt and federal budget deficit, and adherence to an originalist interpretation of the United States Constitution. The name "Tea Party" is a re...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Not sure where these people are vis a vis evasion vs aversion - but "movement" suggests to me evasion, "central idea" could mean aversion, and "varying degrees" leaves room for both.
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that an election was won partly over this issue?
Only a few right wingers still believe that Iraq was behind 911. And lots of people, myself included initially supported the war but still never thought for a moment that there was a 911 connection. Rather, we thought there were WMDs.
You are speaking generalization after generalization.

Mean time iraq and afgan is still occupied and gitmo is still open.
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Fed governmnent is staffed by humans.
You need to get out of your basement more often.
Anyway, I see you gave up on the CO2 article critique. Does science give you a head ache?
There is no convincing you, global warming is like a cult to you.
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont have a problem with it. Unless there is evidence that prosecution were handled any differently, which so far, there isnt.
The Tea Party is not only a political group (they run candidates) but they promote tax aversion. It would seem to me that this is exactly what the IRS should be investigating.
I dont get the backlash.
The backlash is the profiling dont you get it einstein?

Besides, the IRS doesnt care about evidence so your argument is foolish.

Meanwhile GE pays zero taxes, thats ok go after political enemies.
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont get how IRS investigation is implicitly tyrannical.
Lets look at a false equivalence that is being bandied around. Black people being pulled over by cops. That is wrong. In that situation, there is no reason to believe that black people are more guilty of a potential crime than white people, therefore profiling for the purpose of investigation is wrong.
But in the case of the Tea Party - these people are actually advocating illegal behavior. Therefore, the potential is there. Plus they are not acting as individuals, they are filing as an organization with voluntary membership. So it makes sense to profile the organization.
You are still making generalizations do you know how foolish you sound?

Is there anything this administration does that will make you be critical?
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project counts five known domestic terrorist plots against the IRS in the past 15 years. Tensions are rising as federal tax authorities have begun stepping up collection efforts in the midst of flagging tax receipts.
"There's been an explosive growth of anti-government militias and so-called Patriot groups over the past year, and the central idea of many of them is that taxes are completely illegitimate," Intelligence Project editor Mark Potok tells Fox News.
Itís not just conservatives, either. Part of the tax resistance movement is left-wing resisters who donít want their tax money spent on foreign wars..."
----------
plus the fact that these groups are political parties - which I beleive is in violation of 5013c (in some way - not an expert)
The splc is just an extension of the federal government, they mean nothing.

They have a libertarian guy that ran for congress listed for no reason, no evidence , nothing.
Purely political enemy.
Abolish The Fed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Yet government prosecutors refuse to offer evidence that the constitution and code are applicable time and time again.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
If it was about terrorism, why wouldn't the IRS have handed this off to Homeland Security?

I thought you were saying it was about tax aversion/evasion.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tax-Resistance...
Excerpt: The Tea Party movement (TPM) is an American populist political movement which is generally recognized as conservative and libertarian, and has sponsored protests and supported political candidates since 2009. It endorses reduced government spending, opposition to taxation in varying degrees, reduction of the national debt and federal budget deficit, and adherence to an originalist interpretation of the United States Constitution. The name "Tea Party" is a re...
And??? Still not seeing the promotion of tax evasion only reduction in spending and taxation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
I will be more than happy to discuss the topic with you, provided you tell me what exactly you are having difficulty with. So far I offered an article about co2 levels and you are off on a rant about global warming.

What in the article do you take issue with?(hint - you should probably click on the link and actually read the damn article)

This is how logical people operate.

former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
Not sure where these people are vis a vis evasion vs aversion - but "movement" suggests to me evasion, "central idea" could mean aversion, and "varying degrees" leaves room for both.
I give you credit for creative thinking.

And I accept your reversal/self-correction on the issue!

Honest mistake. Probably some lefty blathering on NPR planted the seed.

:))

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was about terrorism, why wouldn't the IRS have handed this off to Homeland Security?
I posted that for the insight into ideologies. You posed a good question and I was trying to see what is openly available on the topic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
"tax resistence" sounds like evasion to me.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think you know more about the subject than 95% of the world's climate scientists?

I doubt it. Though I'm sure you're a fine young man.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
The backlash is the profiling dont you get it einstein?
Besides, the IRS doesnt care about evidence so your argument is foolish.
Meanwhile GE pays zero taxes, thats ok go after political enemies.
IRS did care about the evidence, as no one is claiming that they prosecuted these groups unfairly. Only that they profiled them for auditing.

I am fine with the profiling, if, as FR questioned, the members actually evaded the taxes.

Besides, even if they didnt evade taxes, the fact is that it is a political group and therefore really shouldnt be a nonprofit. That is what triggered the whole event.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Paso border advocate arrested at Rep. Steve ... 16 hr George 73
las cruces sun news - going out of business Tue Brian 11
Officials offer no details of Las Cruces myster... Tue Knight1 1
Interstate 10 overpass project at Mesquite exit... Aug 22 MrBuster 4
single women in cruces Aug 22 Anonymous 1
Review: Action Towing & Rescue Aug 21 Drunken Davin 2
Carlsbad fourth among New Mexico cities in lodg... Aug 21 Carlsbad Resident 1
•••
•••
•••