United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2007

Judged:

I see someone was interested in gang problems in Las Cruces and no one replied to their post. I also asked about this subject on City Data Forum and received 0 replies. Does this tell you something? It reminds me of the ill advised move I once made to Knoxville, Tn. The city council had sent me these glowing photos (edited, I now know) of "a vibrant downtown". Well, when I went there the place looked bombed out! Seriously. When I asked one of the locals how long it had been that way, they thought for a bit, and said "oh, about 20 or 30 years". Too bad though, because the people there were just wonderful, but downtown's problems and a very cold winter climate resulted in my moving away.
My point is, don't believe everything you hear on these posts. There are people who are city boosters, and have never seen a bad thing about their city (think of a horse w/ blinders on), and others who have a grudge against the city and never say a good thing about it. I have finally got it that we need to go to Las Cruces for a visit before even thinking of moving there. It has a lot of the qualities we are looking for, but we are concerned about crime and gangs. When you think about it, looking at where Las Cruces is geographically and the economics of the town, why WOULDN'T it have gang problems? So we will go see how much and where and how bad it is w/ our own eyes. Better to spend some money on traveling then to move and have to move again.

Since: Mar 07

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

Personally I like Las Cruces and you cannot beat the weather. But there is a gang problem.

The good thing about gang problems is that they tend to go after each other -- and Las Cruces is a much cleaner town with far less graffitti than El Paso and other gang ridden towns.
phil baquera

Fresno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2007

THE WHOLE CONTRY HAS GONE TO H--LL WITH THIS GANGS. NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO.THERE IS NO CURE, SO DON'T PICK ON LAS CRUCES.
Red Rag

Muskego, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Judged:

We got gangs in Milwaukee too , BUT I heard Las Cruces was exceptionally BAD ??? that you can even leave your house at night ?? And that there's not enough POLICE ???
little one

Cheyenne, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

uh well i've lived in las cruces for a couple years and I'll tell you there aren't no gangs. wanna be gangs maybe but nothin for real. you wanna see gangs take a trip down to denver colorado.

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Judged:

little one wrote:
uh well i've lived in las cruces for a couple years and I'll tell you there aren't no gangs. wanna be gangs maybe but nothin for real. you wanna see gangs take a trip down to denver colorado.
They've had gang killings in Las Cruces, the gangs are there.
Lil Lc

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

Judged:

there are gangs here i live here an there are east side,west side, the crips the bloods there are all kinds and if you want to see real gangs go to Cali. cuz thats where everythin started.
Mike

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2008

Judged:

I am a police officer in Las Cruces. We have hundreds of so called gang members. The city police do a good job of keeping them in check. I can't stand the fact that they drive all over town in their low riders but they know better than to cause a lot of problems. I think we are in for worse times in New Mexico because we have some crazy law makers doing everything they can to give criminals the right to get away with everything. To be honest I plan to move away when I retire. For the most part you can live a life in Las Cruces without having any problems with any little shaved head losers that call themselves gang members.
Sami Slim

Los Lunas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

Judged:

I've lived in Las Cruces since 2000. If you would look at actual statistical evidence, Las Cruces, NM is one of the safest mid-sized cities in the U.S. The one crime that is high here is rape. Stay off of Picacho Ave. Give me the links to the gang killings that have happened here because I would really like to look that up!!!

“time to get rid of murderers”

Since: Dec 07

roswell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

Judged:

gangs are everywhere and the darn cops dont do anything cause they are just as scared as everyone else. the only way i see to stop it is to dangerous and i am sure to many people would play chicken (which is understandable) but why dont the other people stand up and go beat the hell out of those wana bee big guys and girls that dont realize how much of shi** they really are.

roswell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

Mike wrote:
I am a police officer in Las Cruces. We have hundreds of so called gang members. The city police do a good job of keeping them in check. I can't stand the fact that they drive all over town in their low riders but they know better than to cause a lot of problems. I think we are in for worse times in New Mexico because we have some crazy law makers doing everything they can to give criminals the right to get away with everything. To be honest I plan to move away when I retire. For the most part you can live a life in Las Cruces without having any problems with any little shaved head losers that call themselves gang members.
see i have a question for you,
i understand that cops do a job that is very dangerous. but dont you think that if the court system wasnt such a pain, more could be done.
this woman killed someone then laughed in court and got 10 1/2 years.........what the hell is that.....where is justice in that???? does the system actually think they can teach people like that a lesson after 10 years???
for laughing alone she should have gotten life, she does not care about others and she seems to want to go out and do it again.
there are cops and judges who do theyr jobs but others who have no clue what the hell they are doing!!!
the system sux...and shi** will never stop due to cops and judges making it to easy on others.
(i dont know you, so i cant judge you and i wont, this was meant for all the cops and judges who think a dwi offender needs 1 to 2 years olny)
Stacey

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

I would never in a million years rear children there. As an adult, I think it is a fine place to live. Just don't piss anybody off.
Mario

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Judged:

F*** you chavalas that diss on CRUCES

roswell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

Mario wrote:
F*** you chavalas that diss on CRUCES
keep your home clean and your homies off drugs and out of trouble and we wont have to talk about cruses. not all but most people living there are screwing up the town, just like other towns cruses is no different!
clean it up and we wont talk. simple
Barbara from Las Cruces

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

Judged:

I don't think we really have a serious gang problem in Las Cruces. The police department does a good job of keeping them in check. I think our biggest problems are our kids on drugs. There are gangs no matter where you live. The serious gangs come from the bigger cities in California, New Mexico, etc. I'd rather live here than in Albuquerque or El Paso. Times are changing and we need to be more careful with our surroundings, but "lil ole" Las Cruces is not a bad place to live.
cruces

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

there was gangs, and alotta taggers...but that was 90s early 2000snds..now its a buncha wanna b gays? like emos..there still is tha gangs but just tha same ol ones..gang problem..na. not any more....red up crabs down.
LC-NM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

Judged:

Out here in LC there are gangs. NORTHSIDE14, SUR,ES,WS, NSDA(BLUE RAG), BROWNPRIDE, VML-MESQUITE/LAS CRUCES, BLOOD, CRIP, CMF. At school there are a lot of SUR but they ain't down for their shit, me my homies from NORTE 14 run this bitch. And then you got the bitch ass taggers and skaters. AQUI PARA ALMIGHTY NORTE PURO CATORCE 14
cruces boy og13

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2008

Judged:

Just one comment for the cop if y'all would stop settin up the gang members so that they could go 2 prison there would be less violence because the real fuck ups that don't have any mortals at all are the ones still out on the streets. Y'all settin up the wrong people an you can't tell me it's not true because I know, I was a victim of that bull an I went to prison for protecting my loved one and when it comes down to the courts it's all racial or it all comes down to who you know because of the people I know now the laws have been bent for me and it's all about corruption in las cruces. I love the town and I will always live here but the trick is not to show what you got cause the cops will always hate just cause your doing better then they've ever imagined! Like I've said many times HATERS MAKE ME FAMOUS!!!
Mike

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2008

Judged:

jessy from roswell wrote:
<quoted text>
see i have a question for you,
i understand that cops do a job that is very dangerous. but dont you think that if the court system wasnt such a pain, more could be done.
this woman killed someone then laughed in court and got 10 1/2 years.........what the hell is that.....where is justice in that???? does the system actually think they can teach people like that a lesson after 10 years???
for laughing alone she should have gotten life, she does not care about others and she seems to want to go out and do it again.
there are cops and judges who do theyr jobs but others who have no clue what the hell they are doing!!!
the system sux...and shi** will never stop due to cops and judges making it to easy on others.
(i dont know you, so i cant judge you and i wont, this was meant for all the cops and judges who think a dwi offender needs 1 to 2 years olny)
Ok, I am confused? What makes you think the police have any power to give someone more time in jail? I'f we had that kind of power we would have no gang members. I have seen a man only get 4 years for shooting one officer and trying to shoot a second officer. I would have liked to have some say in that sentence.
Meowbot

Cedar Crest, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Steve wrote:
I see someone was interested in gang problems in Las Cruces and no one replied to their post. I also asked about this subject on City Data Forum and received 0 replies. Does this tell you something? It reminds me of the ill advised move I once made to Knoxville, Tn. The city council had sent me these glowing photos (edited, I now know) of "a vibrant downtown". Well, when I went there the place looked bombed out! Seriously. When I asked one of the locals how long it had been that way, they thought for a bit, and said "oh, about 20 or 30 years". Too bad though, because the people there were just wonderful, but downtown's problems and a very cold winter climate resulted in my moving away.
My point is, don't believe everything you hear on these posts. There are people who are city boosters, and have never seen a bad thing about their city (think of a horse w/ blinders on), and others who have a grudge against the city and never say a good thing about it. I have finally got it that we need to go to Las Cruces for a visit before even thinking of moving there. It has a lot of the qualities we are looking for, but we are concerned about crime and gangs. When you think about it, looking at where Las Cruces is geographically and the economics of the town, why WOULDN'T it have gang problems? So we will go see how much and where and how bad it is w/ our own eyes. Better to spend some money on traveling then to move and have to move again.
I'm a Knoxville expatriate living in Las Cruces. I've never had a problem with gang members here. The city is very kind to artists (I understand Knoxville is getting there too).

If you've been living in east Tennessee, the landscapes here will knock your socks off. Go spend a lot of time in the mountains before you visit here, for contrast. Each place is breathtaking in its own way (outside the city), but starkly different from one another.

Bring sunglasses and a hat.

Downtown Knoxville is a sad thing, but folks have been trying to revive the place for as long as I've been paying attention. If you're stuck there while you find someplace else, there's entertainment to be had in following the plans and squabbles involved with getting the area perky again. They keep putting in bars and condos, but why in he11 there's not a grocery store or movie house there is one of the great mysteries.

knoxblab dot com is a good forum to read about loving/hating Knoxville.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hatch Discussions

Search the Hatch Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Shake shops becoming cool spots to hang out (May '11) 1 hr moron 81
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr Eric 68,396
County has given hundreds of gay marriage licenses Sun Belle Sexton 3
affrique (May '12) Jul 25 Sailboat1107 210
Randy Mattingly and Olga Back Jul 24 Family 1
county commissioners Jul 23 behindschedule 1
las cruces sun news - going out of business Jul 23 behindschedule 3
•••
•••