Child-abuse suspects free on bond

A husband and wife accused of punishing four children by confining them to a garage have bonded out of jail. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Judas

United States

#1 Aug 12, 2008
As usual, the Albuquerque Journal's version of this story was much more complete, including that neighbors in the mobile home park took pity on the kids and took them in and fed them in the mobile home, and that the girls slept over with neighbors but rushed back in the morning because they were afraid that their father would catch them not in the mobile home (and then who knows what kind of punishment he would have meted out).

The article also noted that for a brief period, one of the girls was allowed to attend public school but then was yanked right back out again. These kids had no adult that they could turn to besides their abusive father and out-to-lunch stepmother.
cruces not crosses

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Aug 12, 2008
everytime I want to defend our nice little city something in the news like this comes out. How can I defend it further if things like this keep happening? why were they even aloud to bond out?
I give up.
Judas

United States

#3 Aug 12, 2008
They were allowed to bond out because there is differential justice in Las Cruces for the wealthy or well-connected versus the poor and those who are not somehow related to the DA!
joyce donadee

United States

#4 Aug 12, 2008
I know the Yaw children including their older siblings. After their mother died of breast cancer when they were very young, their father started to move them around from house to house and from school to school in Pittsburgh. After he married Rita, I heard stories for years about how harsh he was with the older children. All of the Yaw children are well-behaved, good children. Please dig more into why he keeps moving around.
Chalupa Chancellor

Los Lunas, NM

#5 Aug 12, 2008
Reporter wrote:
where the girls lived until last week with little food or water.
LIttle water? Was the tap in the mobile home broken or something?
Judas

United States

#6 Aug 13, 2008
If you heard stories about how harsh he was, you should have reported him to the relevant authorities. I keep hearing about how he kicked an older child out of the home before the age of 18; this is clearly child neglect, and yet YOU and others stood by and did nothing. Search your conscience.
Mike Barrett

AOL

#7 Aug 13, 2008
Chalupa Chancellor wrote:
<quoted text>
LIttle water? Was the tap in the mobile home broken or something?
Ken insured that everything in the MH was operational. A/C, hot & cold running water, stove, ref, etc. Oh, did I forget to mention that they also had a phone? Compared to a Sonoma Ranch garage, this MH was meager, yes, but these girls laughed, played, and interacted with others at will.
Why not turn some attention on other children in this same MH park whose parents are selling drugs, sniffing paint, gangbanging, and REALLY abusing their children? Or is their plight not as eye-grabbing? I've been here for 7+ years, and if the Yaw children were the "worst-case", we would all be in much better shape than we are now!
LyndaLBD

El Paso, TX

#8 Aug 13, 2008
I hope these people will now know how it feels to be locked up - deservingly - this is not how you deal with problems with children. People can have babies, but that doesn't make them good parents. Perfect candidates for birth control
little mom

El Paso, TX

#9 Aug 13, 2008
this was aweful and wrong but...
my friend and i were talking about this yesterday. my 14yr old son is 6in taller than me and outweighs me by 70lbs. how am i supposed to punish him? i've already taken away all of his things (video games,cell phone, tv,etc.) and grounded him. he needs a belt to the behind but he knows i can't hit or i go to jail. my husband is away alot for work and tell me to kick his a88 (like i could do any damage). how are parents supposed to dicipline our kids now?
Jamie

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Aug 13, 2008
This is the most despicable case. Shame, shame on these two individuals for putting these poor young girls through such terror and torture. As if their mother's death wasn't tragic enough they had to endure such severe mental and emotional abuse-something they may never recover from. Yaw and Starceski should never have been released from jail. Their bond was far too low and the 7 counts against them isn't even high enough! We punish alleged animal abusers more than we punish child abusers. This is just shameful.
Judas

United States

#11 Aug 13, 2008
Hey Mike Barrett, if you see other kids in the MH park whose parents are ALSO abusing them in the manner in which you state, and you have failed to report said child abuse to the police, then you are legally liable under NM law.

Should I direct the police to your address so that you can fill them in? I'm sure that since you are aware of the abuse you wouldn't want to be breaking the law by not telling them all about it.
Jamie

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Aug 13, 2008
Shame on those of you who are mocking this case. What is wrong with you and your conscious? I am sorry it is sad that other children in the mobile community are subject to abuse and unsafe living conditions, however, two wrongs don't make a right! What the Yaw children went through is not OK. They are minors living alone, that is not OK. So what if the house had running water, they were still minors living alone and that is illegal. Shame on you, what a sad and pathetic town Las Cruces must be if this is how all of you feel. I am sorry for your community as it is not OK to think and write as some of you have!
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Aug 13, 2008
Jamie wrote:
Shame on those of you who are mocking this case. What is wrong with you and your conscious? I am sorry it is sad that other children in the mobile community are subject to abuse and unsafe living conditions, however, two wrongs don't make a right! What the Yaw children went through is not OK. They are minors living alone, that is not OK. So what if the house had running water, they were still minors living alone and that is illegal. Shame on you, what a sad and pathetic town Las Cruces must be if this is how all of you feel. I am sorry for your community as it is not OK to think and write as some of you have!
Oh, Jamie from Pittsburg is writing about how hoity toity he lives in dreary old pitts-burg. That's why it's called pitts-----berg. It's the pits yo! And you live on a berg that is the pitts! This is sunny LC, quit writing while you still have a silver spoon in ya mouth! yo! yabba dabba ding dong!
Jamie

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Aug 13, 2008
I don't have a silver spoon, I have a moral conscious. I have two children who mean the world to me and are my top priority in life as should be for all parents. Child abuse is not acceptable and should not be tolerated by anyone, period. We need to all work harder to bring abuse cases like this into the public eye, condemn the abuser and maybe this won't happen in the future. I am a proud American and I will stand up for what is guaranteed for all the citizens of this country regardless of their age or demographic! Perhaps you should stick to the subject at hand, the tragic abuse of innocent children and how to make life better for all of our children
Beyond prayers

Farmington, NM

#15 Aug 13, 2008
THIS GOES OUT TO THE CHILDREN THAT WHERE ABUSED, My heart goes out to the four children that were punished by there parents, My pryaers are with you, And the good Lord see's all. May the lord bless and open door's for these poor children. GOD BLESS YOU Baby's, Im a parent of 3 and i get frustrated but i take time out for my self to take pressure off my self by soothing music, Going for a walk. Or reading a good book, Our minds our open for whatever it is that upsets us. But we the parents should show our childern,(NOT ABUSE) them. Show them what they did before you punished the children. To show them every day life is made up of mistakes we can correct them even parents make mistakes. WE MOLD OUR CHILDREN TO WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO ACCOMPISH IN LIFE! I love my children and i would do anything to insure there safty and there welfare being. so its up to you what you have planned for the goals and accomplisments for YOUR children! If the parents agree to take angermanagment classes. OR seek a councilor for advise. Thats why most of our teens become at risk kids i have a minor field in social workeing. ANY ABUSE IS WRONG WEATHER IT IS VERBAL, RAISING A HAND. ITS W-R-O-N-G-E MY prayers are with you (CHILDREN)!
Mike Barrett

AOL

#16 Aug 13, 2008
Judas wrote:
Hey Mike Barrett, if you see other kids in the MH park whose parents are ALSO abusing them in the manner in which you state, and you have failed to report said child abuse to the police, then you are legally liable under NM law.
Should I direct the police to your address so that you can fill them in? I'm sure that since you are aware of the abuse you wouldn't want to be breaking the law by not telling them all about it.
++++++++++
First, I have, on very numerous occasions. Still waiting for the results!
This is the ghetto, this is the way it is and will be!
Second, I am in regular communication with the police. Send all you want, but include your REAL name and address. You can sure dish out threats under that pseudo name, can you actually face anyone man to man? I seriously doubt it.
Again, grow up!
Judas

United States

#17 Aug 13, 2008
Your quotations in the press, saying that the girls were "happy" in your slum MH development, are so self-serving as to be hilarious.

Maybe it would not be the ghetto if you maintained your mobile home park in a way that was fit for human habitation ...?
C Rose

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Aug 14, 2008
This couple used to be my neighbor. I was completely dumbfounded when I heard the news. I wanted to see if there might be better information on this surgeon and went to his hometown newspaper to see...
You should too. Go to www.post-gazette.com and search for Kenneth Yaw. They have an article with much more information.
So truly sad!
Maggie

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Aug 14, 2008
C Rose wrote:
This couple used to be my neighbor.
Your post says you live in NM. People from Pittsburgh have posted on the internet saying that he moved the children to different homes and school districts while living in Pittsburgh. Your post says you live in New Mexico and he *used* to be your neighbor. Does that mean he also moved the children around to different homes in New Mexico during the past year?
Judas

United States

#20 Aug 14, 2008
I'm not "C. Rose," but there are two possibilities here; that C. Rose moved away from 1234 Golf Course, or that he or she is referring to the period during which the Yaw-Starceski family lived at 1293 Mission Nuevo Dr., which is a townhome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 41 min Abolish The Fed 70,065
Kiki has no qualifications Tue George 2
Some gay-rights foes claim they now are bullied (Jun '11) Oct 19 Anonymous 12,365
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Oct 18 justice is just a... 6,084
Maobama and Ebola Oct 18 Bloodonhishands 1
Sound Off Oct 17 kimberly atencio 4
Sheriff's office reports burglary spike in area... Oct 16 Sonia 1
Hatch Dating
Find my Match

Hatch Jobs

Hatch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hatch News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hatch

Personal Finance