Despite push, driver's license law re...

Despite push, driver's license law remains unchanged

There are 21 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 19, 2011, titled Despite push, driver's license law remains unchanged. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

The law that enables undocumented immigrants to obtain New Mexico driver's licenses will remain in effect.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LC Today

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Mar 20, 2011
Rep. Miguel Garcia....you and your little buddies who decided to ignore the wishes of the majority of NM voters will pay the price come 2012. We will remove you from office, once and for all since you support criminals who violate our laws and have no respect for this country and its people. You are the first on that list.
desertkat

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#2 Mar 20, 2011
This makes me sick. NM is nuts. If these people are illegal, then they are criminals. How can we support that!? This makes me spitting mad.
little one

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Mar 20, 2011
I have a family member who is a police officer in New Mexico. They pull over 100s of people and the ones that are illegal the vast majority dont have auto insurance. And the ones that do bought it 6 months ago the last time they got a ticket. They buy insurance only when they want to get out of having to pay a fine. Im not saying its every illegal but if we have 50 and 5 have insurance they pay for every month how much does that help the citizens of the U.S. They dont buy their own medical insurance, most are on U.S. government assistance. I would realy like to see the exact numbers because the illegals I come in contact with are not the great, upstanding citizens trying to make a better life they just want it given to them with no thought of what its costing Legal U.S. citizens who pay their taxes, have full cover auto insurance, and pay their own medical insurance. If Illegals were coming here to make a better life, get an education and not bleeding the system I would have no problem with it. but I just dont see that anymore and Legal citezens are the ones paying for it. We might as well take away laws that prevent child molesters from working in schools. Illegal is illegal no matter what kind of spin you put on it.
lib loon

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Mar 20, 2011
little one wrote:
I have a family member who is a police officer in New Mexico. They pull over 100s of people and the ones that are illegal the vast majority dont have auto insurance. And the ones that do bought it 6 months ago the last time they got a ticket. They buy insurance only when they want to get out of having to pay a fine. Im not saying its every illegal but if we have 50 and 5 have insurance they pay for every month how much does that help the citizens of the U.S. They dont buy their own medical insurance, most are on U.S. government assistance. I would realy like to see the exact numbers because the illegals I come in contact with are not the great, upstanding citizens trying to make a better life they just want it given to them with no thought of what its costing Legal U.S. citizens who pay their taxes, have full cover auto insurance, and pay their own medical insurance. If Illegals were coming here to make a better life, get an education and not bleeding the system I would have no problem with it. but I just dont see that anymore and Legal citezens are the ones paying for it. We might as well take away laws that prevent child molesters from working in schools. Illegal is illegal no matter what kind of spin you put on it.
That's exactly correct. Too bad we have soon-to-be-unemployed legislators who vote against the majority of the people in this State.
Native New Mexican

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Mar 20, 2011
Drivers's licenses for non-citizens should indicate their status on the drivers's license. People convicted of DWI should also have a marking indicating past convictions. The driver's license is an essential form of identification used by different societal entities. It is a powerful instrument not only of identification; it also identitifies entitlement.
NMParent

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Mar 20, 2011
This is ridiculous! We might as well send out invitations to all illegal immigrants in this country and those thinking about coming here. I think the wording should be something like this:
"Please, please come to NM! We know some of those other mean states won't give you driver's licenses but you can get one here!!! P.S. Please pay for some car insurance too. Thanks!" I don't know. It's just a rough draft!
WTH

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Mar 20, 2011
Figures. That is about the mentality of our ridiculously liberal legislature. Our state is a laughing stock because of them. Isn't one of our local "legislators" an elderly woman who recently blamed everyone (except the suspect, of course) for a child murder?? I don't know that you can expect anything more from people like that.

My family legally emigrated across an ocean from Europe and prospered only by hard work and the sweat of their brow. These people illegally emigrate 1/2 mile across a river and live off the sweat of mine. Then they get a driver's license legally provided by my own state.

I have nothing against immigration. But if it's going to be done, it should be within the parameters of the law for EVERYONE. Otherwise, why have the law to begin with?
Unrecognized Power

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Mar 20, 2011
LC Today wrote:
Rep. Miguel Garcia....you and your little buddies who decided to ignore the wishes of the majority of NM voters will pay the price come 2012. We will remove you from office, once and for all since you support criminals who violate our laws and have no respect for this country and its people. You are the first on that list.
Good luck.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#12 Mar 20, 2011
Why are these democratic political outcasts so hell bent on keeping New Mexico in the "illegal sympathizer" column?

We spent a billion freaking dollars to build a wall to keep out illegal migration and they keep
on air-lifting them over and bending the rules of good
sense by public support to support their transition while still illegally in the state and country.

This handful of democratic liberal radicals are ridiculous and out of control.

Their very public actions are just saying "screw you" to the general law-abiding public if you don't like what they are doing.

Kick them out. We're through with this Obamaesque hi-jacking buullshiit.

Native New Mexican

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Mar 20, 2011
I guess at least 47 other states are wrong about drivers licensing. We are one of three states granting licenses to illegal immigrants. We are 49th in educational attainment. Is there a correlaton?
sterco

Kalispell, MT

#17 Mar 20, 2011
Native New Mexican wrote:
I guess at least 47 other states are wrong about drivers licensing. We are one of three states granting licenses to illegal immigrants. We are 49th in educational attainment. Is there a correlaton?
You live in a GREAZED STATE!!!!
ABQlib

Rio Rancho, NM

#18 Mar 20, 2011
Who cares? This is a non issue for New Mexicans.
ABQlib

Rio Rancho, NM

#19 Mar 20, 2011
Too bad the dumb "governor" didn't lose on some of her police-state initiatives. Damn inbred Texans trying to take over our state.
Bikerofdoom

AOL

#21 Mar 20, 2011
Will the last rational person leaving the state please close the door
So true

Albuquerque, NM

#22 Mar 20, 2011
lib loon wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly correct. Too bad we have soon-to-be-unemployed legislators who vote against the majority of the people in this State.
I completely agree.
Unfair

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Mar 20, 2011
These illegals move down here and have all these kids so the government can support them. We have to work or go to school or they take the assistance from us but yet the illegals don't have to because they are illegal but they cannot deprive the kids because they are US citizens so they give them government assistance
jeez

Santa Fe, NM

#24 Mar 20, 2011
susanna accomplished her purpose - keeping people distracted with BS like this.

dumb goobers.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#25 Mar 20, 2011
jeez wrote:
susanna accomplished her purpose - keeping people distracted with BS like this.
dumb goobers.
Lady, put the bong down for one day.

Santa Fe liberals and northern NM democrats and keep crap like this alive.
Free to all who cross

Las Cruces, NM

#26 Mar 20, 2011
Lets all take our state back! Vote these terrorist sympathizers out of office! The silent majority must make a statement. This is so ridiculous!

“Close the Borders”

Since: Jun 08

Out in the County

#27 Mar 20, 2011
I am so tired of hearing that illegal aliens only do the jobs that Americans will not.

The truth is that illegal aliens only do the jobs that Americans would not do for less than minimum wage.

Big difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Thu Norbert of Norview 71,944
News Gov. Martinez appoints Las Crucen to judicial p... (Mar '11) Aug 25 Robbie 23
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Aug 15 Sam A 6,450
News A local intstitution Aug 14 EarthwrightsDesigns 1
News Tempers flare over proposed food stamps changes Aug 11 Joel 69
News Different Sparky's signature is the draw for 'A... Aug 11 I love the southwest 1
law enforcement salaries Aug 8 Bloodonhishands 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hatch Mortgages