Gov. signs measure to protect NM chil...

Gov. signs measure to protect NM chile market

There are 45 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Gov. signs measure to protect NM chile market. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Amid the lunch-hour hubbub in a downtown Hatch cafe, Gov. Susana Martinez unwrapped a plastic-covered bundle to find a string of brilliant red peppers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
chiledog

Santa Fe, NM

#45 Apr 7, 2011
"That's irrelevant. Did you read the article? It says restaurants won't be able to falsely advertise that their chile ORIGINATED in New Mexico. It does not say anything about the name."

You put a lot of trust in the LC news reporting being complete and accurate (but that's another topic). The law says:
"It is unlawful for a person to advertise, describe, label or offer for sale chile peppers as New Mexico chile, unless the chile peppers were grown in New Mexico."

So my point is if someone grows New Mexico chiles in Mexico and want to sell them here, what do they call them? Our laws ALREADY require country of origin labeling (as of 2008) so you know where they're from.
2cool4school

Eagle, CO

#47 Apr 7, 2011
The "chinese" chilies are coming,...." SO what. Let's turn this over to the Mexican Durg Cartel...
ABQlib

United States

#48 Apr 7, 2011
chiledog wrote:
"That's irrelevant. Did you read the article? It says restaurants won't be able to falsely advertise that their chile ORIGINATED in New Mexico. It does not say anything about the name."
You put a lot of trust in the LC news reporting being complete and accurate (but that's another topic). The law says:
"It is unlawful for a person to advertise, describe, label or offer for sale chile peppers as New Mexico chile, unless the chile peppers were grown in New Mexico."
So my point is if someone grows New Mexico chiles in Mexico and want to sell them here, what do they call them? Our laws ALREADY require country of origin labeling (as of 2008) so you know where they're from.
The statute does say that, you are right. But nevertheless, Diana's interpretation of the statute appears to be correct, given the last sentence of the paragraph, which you cited. That's because the phrase "New Mexico chile" implies chile that originated in New Mexico. It doesn't make any difference whether that is the cultivar. When you hear the words "Georgia peach," do you think of a peach that might have been grown in China?

Foreigners can call their chile whatever they want, as long as they don't describe the chiles as New Mexico chiles when they're selling it within the boundaries of New Mexico. They can even continue to market it as "New Mexico chile" in other states.

So what if our laws already require country of origin labeling? That doesn't prevent us from passing more laws on top of that.

And no, I really don't have much trust at all in Jim Lawitz and his right-wing rag.
Al Reine

United States

#49 Apr 7, 2011
New Mexico, and America look what NAFTA, CAFTA, SAFTA, and China has done to America and what Obama, Bush and Clinton did to the America Food Market ! Now look at WalMart, China, and what has going on in America, because of the Greed of both parties, Big Corrupt Business like General Electric, and even the pharmacy giants ! Now Obama will pay with your tax dollars, Billions of America Green Backs to Brazil so that Brazil will have jobs to drill, and sell oil back to America ! Czar Obama knows how to spread your wealth, and help bankrupt America, and the American Citizens. Is this the Change you want ??
chiledog

Santa Fe, NM

#51 Apr 13, 2011
I guess what sticks in my craw is that Gov SM is touting this as an "Advertising Act" when in actuality it effectively prohibits import of green chile and red chile into NM. The NM chile industry leads the world; do they need this trade protectionism to survive? It plays well for the Gov with the agribusiness lobby she's keen for. But who is harmed? Without competition inside NM, it will be mean higher chile prices for us, NM consumers. Look at how California banned the importation of avacados to protect their home grown industry. The result was rediculously high prices for avocados in CA. So it's business as usual for the Gov: supporting the big businesses who got her elected on the backs (and pocketbooks) of NM consumers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
las cruces sun news sucks! 5 hr Stopdapaperfool 1
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 17 hr More 6,866
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) 23 hr Suicidel freak 209
In pain Fri Robcar 1
King Obama gets slapped down twice Fri Bloodonhishands 1
Demo rats leadership II Thu Bloodonhishands 1
demo rats leadership Jun 23 Bloodonhishands 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hatch Mortgages