Gov. signs measure to protect NM chil...

Gov. signs measure to protect NM chile market

There are 45 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Gov. signs measure to protect NM chile market. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Amid the lunch-hour hubbub in a downtown Hatch cafe, Gov. Susana Martinez unwrapped a plastic-covered bundle to find a string of brilliant red peppers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ALJS

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Apr 6, 2011
They need to outlaw putting nasty cumin and cilantro in NM Chile.
The Ministry of We

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Apr 6, 2011
Gov quit being silly with all of these photo ops with your cop/sheriff friends and focus on REAL issues....
Reality Check

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Apr 6, 2011
"The statewide crop was valued at $41.6 million last year, according to the agriculture department."

$41.6 MILLION...

This is 1/3 of what the Avengers movie would have brought to New Mexico in 7 MONTHS!!

ONE THIRD OF WHAT THE AVENGERS MOVIE WOULD HAVE BROUGHT TO NEW MEXICO IN ONLY 7 MONTHS!!!

Think about that next time you vote for a Governor... do they want whats good for the state, or do they pass laws out of hatred for the previous officeholder...
Carlsbad ex

United States

#4 Apr 6, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
"The statewide crop was valued at $41.6 million last year, according to the agriculture department."
$41.6 MILLION...
This is 1/3 of what the Avengers movie would have brought to New Mexico in 7 MONTHS!!
ONE THIRD OF WHAT THE AVENGERS MOVIE WOULD HAVE BROUGHT TO NEW MEXICO IN ONLY 7 MONTHS!!!
Think about that next time you vote for a Governor... do they want whats good for the state, or do they pass laws out of hatred for the previous officeholder...
So you think that much of the movie profit would have ended up in NM? How do you figure?
LCNM

Anthony, NM

#5 Apr 6, 2011
We dont want anymore liberal Hollyweirdos here. Tell us how they bring in millions? Paying low wages to locals. Eating at resturants. That does not equate to millions. Oh yeah, they dont pay very much in taxes.
im just sayin

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Apr 6, 2011
this is stupid...potatoes are raised all over the U.S. and they are shipped to Idaho and bagged with a label that says they are grown in Idaho!!!! same for the chiles, they are grown in other states too, just like rice is grown in Texas and packaged to say it came from China...it is all a game, and who the heck cares where anything is grown??!!
George

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Apr 6, 2011
So are the illegal chiles going to be eligible for fake "grown in Hatch" licenses? Stup d people playing games.
Johnny

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Apr 6, 2011
When I have time to drive over the Pepper Pot is a great place to eat. The legislation doesn't seem necessary, and trivial. Seems like the Governor is going to have to much time on her hands.
Quark

United States

#10 Apr 6, 2011
jiffy wrote:
How 'bout passin' a law that gets all the illegals back to meheeco. This is more important than arguing where chiles are raised. What a bunch of dum-asses.
You mean like the immigration laws that currently exist? Speaking of dum-asses ...
Quark

United States

#11 Apr 6, 2011
So this is an issue? I thought Martinez said she was going to stick to the issues?

Since then she's also declared the squash blossum necklace the official necklace of New Mexico. I'm just glad she's tackling the hard stuff first!
Been here Seen that

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Apr 6, 2011
What garbage! Making false claims was already covered under fraud laws. These clowns in the legislature just keep adding to the laws so that they can derive some "fame" from having done something even when that something is nothing, other than a waste of time and ink.
Sherrill

Santa Fe, NM

#13 Apr 6, 2011
Our governor's photo is in the LC Sun-News everyday...election is over -- is it her penchant for publicity or the hometown's obsession with her?
Former Resident Pee J

Kihei, HI

#14 Apr 6, 2011
Yep,protect the chilies but don't protect the border or the citizens from the gangs.
T Ref

Oakland, CA

#15 Apr 6, 2011
Get a job
Jamie

Elgin, AZ

#16 Apr 6, 2011
who="Sherrill"]Our governor's photo is in the LC Sun-News everyday...election is over -- is it her penchant for publicity or the hometown's obsession with her?

I like to see the articles in the Sun-News about the Governor. We need to know if Promises are being kept and hold her to her campaign promises. keep up the good work
Sun-News.
EL POLITICO - ABUQ

United States

#17 Apr 6, 2011
It is ashame that this is what the "People's Business" is all about. Chile, Squash Blossoms, Tax Breaks to the rich and famous.

It is disappointing to see our new Governor playing into the "photo op" game.

There is so much important business to address...like the state budget shortfall, education funding, 911 Call Center funding which the Gov. veto for in allowing for a fee to be added to cell phone bills....how ridiculous!

Governor, please try to be a more doing Governor and not fall trap to your predecessor (Big Bill) and just sign bills in Santa Fe and stop wasting money traveling around the state to sign bills and photo ops.

P.S. Maybe you should reconsider and keep the state plane.
2cool4school

Eagle, CO

#18 Apr 6, 2011
Let me guess. China is going to "import" chile's?

Don't we have a few more problems than "chilies"?

What about a 'free market'.....?
2cool4school

United States

#19 Apr 6, 2011
2cool4school wrote:
Let me guess. China is going to "import" chile's?
Don't we have a few more problems than "chilies"?
What about a 'free market'.....?
I'm the real 2cool4school. You are a imitation.
Former Resident Pee J

Kihei, HI

#20 Apr 6, 2011
I prefer the chilies from New York City myself.
Reality Check

Las Cruces, NM

#21 Apr 6, 2011
Carlsbad ex wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think that much of the movie profit would have ended up in NM? How do you figure?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainment...

Where do you think the money for these rebates comes from? "REBATES"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rebate

The money has come in first to be awarded back!
In addition, I am all for local film production, and the money spent by local companies would stay in NM and help build the infrastructure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Tue Harold P 6,867
bobsie twins (two liars on stage together) Tue Bloodonhishands 1
please come see me Tue Yes Baby 26
las cruces sun news sucks! Mon Stopthepaperfools 2
affrique (May '12) Jun 26 anonymous 243
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) Jun 25 Suicidel freak 209
In pain Jun 24 Robcar 1

Hatch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance