Hastings / Police kill suspect in cem...

Hastings / Police kill suspect in cemetery

There are 72 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 11, 2008, titled Hastings / Police kill suspect in cemetery. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

George Siebenaler could hear more than see the commotion in St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Cemetery across the street from his Hastings home Thursday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Metro Resident

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jul 12, 2008
"The only thing that makes me mad is they didn't take the precaution. They shot right at our house. I didn't like that," he said Friday, inspecting the mark in his deck with relatives. "That's something to talk about now — look it there; there's a bullet hole."

Mr. Siebenaler: I'm sorry there was damage to your residence. There was a terrible loss of life. However, do you really believe those officers had ANY time to think about their own lives versus doing damage to your residence? They did take precaution when they told Mr. Rodriguez to drop his sword. And no bystander was injured. You saw multiple officers in an area, why did you wait until you heard one say "drop your gun" before you decided you better go inside? It's like watching a tornado approach your house. Some wait a little too long to take cover and then wonder why they are injured by flying debris.

I'm glad those officers are alive today to be put on paid administrative leave.
Jeebs

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Jul 12, 2008
hey mr. siebenaler, you really think police officers are going to think about trying not to do a little damage to your property over their own lives. would you. no i dont think so.
Dman

Brainerd, MN

#3 Jul 12, 2008
The only way they would hit the house is if the shot missed the suspect. It is,(or should be) second nature to a shooter to be aware of the backstop; an occupied home does not qualify.

A self defense shot at a man with a sword is an easy close range shot; a well trained shooter with a police pistol caliber arguably should not miss and let bullets fly into an occupied house.

Between the lines

AOL

#4 Jul 12, 2008
Heard "Drop your gun" and the suspect was weilding a sword in the attack position?
Self defense theory:
If a well trained officer with a gun vs a sword shot at a suspects leg would the sword fall. Would the glass breaking suspect still be alive?
LOL

Cottage Grove, MN

#5 Jul 12, 2008
Dman wrote:
The only way they would hit the house is if the shot missed the suspect. It is,(or should be) second nature to a shooter to be aware of the backstop; an occupied home does not qualify.
A self defense shot at a man with a sword is an easy close range shot; a well trained shooter with a police pistol caliber arguably should not miss and let bullets fly into an occupied house.
blah blah blah, you ever shoot a gun? And have you ever been in a life or death situation outside of playing your xbox in your mommy's basement, or being a mall ninja playing laser tag?

Rodriquez was nothing more than a thug and he brought a sword to a gunfight.

Good job by the cops.
LOL

Cottage Grove, MN

#6 Jul 12, 2008
Between the lines wrote:
Heard "Drop your gun" and the suspect was weilding a sword in the attack position?
Self defense theory:
If a well trained officer with a gun vs a sword shot at a suspects leg would the sword fall. Would the glass breaking suspect still be alive?
This has got to be the most ignorant thing I have seen in a long time.
Quitcherwhining

Winfield, AL

#7 Jul 12, 2008
"Police kill suspect in cemetary"

Sounds efficient and well planned to me.
Metro Resident

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jul 12, 2008
Between the lines wrote:
Officers aren't trained to wound. My taxes don't pay them to either. They didn't have the leisure minutes you had to write this moronic response. Don't quit your day job of posting Monday quarterbacking.
Walking the Walk

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jul 12, 2008
Between the lines wrote:
You are obviously a person that has never been in a life and death situation where you have to make a split-second decision.....save my own life or die.

Since you are so ignorant, I will enlighten you. When the human body gets into a situation that is life or death; fight or flight, it produces what is called an "adrenalin dump". I'm sure you've experienced this playing X-box "Call to Duty" when your health is at a minimum and there are many soldiers shooting at you (sarcasm).

During an adrenalin dump, the body not only released adrenalin, but it dumps major quantities of blood into the major muscle areas and the brain in preparation for either fight or flight.

When blood rushes into the major muscle areas, smaller muscle areas (like the hands and fingers) have little blood in them so they don't work as well as normal. That is one reason bullets don't fly as true in real life as they do on the range. Also add into the mix a dark cemetery and you have a situation that is truly remarkable that only one shot missed its intended target.

As for the backdrop, police are trained very well to know the target and beyond. Many cops have had a situation where they could have or possibly should have shot someone but didn't due to people standing behind the suspect, etc. I'm sure Sgt Galland had no choice but to shoot to save his life and the lives of the other cops. It a situation of a man with a sword charging you, what is beyond the target has to come second to saving his own life.

As for your moronic comment calling the guy the "glass-breaking suspect", you can add felony assault suspect to the list of charges.

I'm sorry the guy had to die, but I'm more grateful that nobody else got hurt. Mr. Rodriguez chose his own fate.
Bar

Toronto, Canada

#10 Jul 12, 2008
Why did the police have to shoot the suspect? He was in a CEMETERY? Who would he have killed??!
Blue Man

Cottage Grove, MN

#11 Jul 12, 2008
Bar wrote:
Why did the police have to shoot the suspect? He was in a CEMETERY? Who would he have killed??!
THEM!!
Bar

Toronto, Canada

#12 Jul 12, 2008
OK, Blue Man, I won't argue that.
Just seems like such a leap from breaking car windows to a police shootout.
I never feel sorry for criminals, but I really have to think for a second whether death is really an appropriate punishment for some drunk kid busting out car windows.
Can't the police just deploy some kinda gas or a tranquilizer gun for someone like that?
Here we go again

Maple Grove, MN

#13 Jul 12, 2008
Bar wrote:
Um, maybe the police officers? What a stupid comment.
Ashlea A

Becker, MN

#14 Jul 12, 2008
Brandon Rodgiguez was way more than a "thug."
He was my best friends brother.
His fathers only son left in this world.
He may not have been anything to you,
but think before you say he was nothing more than a thug.
He messed up, bad, i know, i understand.
but he was a great person not in his right mind.
R.I.P. Brandon!
Gar

Maple Grove, MN

#15 Jul 12, 2008
Dman wrote:
You are real big talk. I would like to see what you would do if a moron was coming at you with a sword intent on shoving it into your body. I am really sick of all the armchair quarterbacks that know the perfect answer to all situations.
LOL

Cottage Grove, MN

#16 Jul 12, 2008
Bar wrote:
OK, Blue Man, I won't argue that.
Just seems like such a leap from breaking car windows to a police shootout.
I never feel sorry for criminals, but I really have to think for a second whether death is really an appropriate punishment for some drunk kid busting out car windows.
Can't the police just deploy some kinda gas or a tranquilizer gun for someone like that?
You need to remember that the police did not punish Rodriguez for breaking windows. The police shot and killed Rodriguez because Rodriguez took away any other reasonable response on their part.
Bar

Toronto, Canada

#17 Jul 12, 2008
Ok, I stand corrected.
What I should be asking is what would make a kid go from breaking windows to threatening a police officer?
Obviously, he had a long criminal career, and this was his last 'promotion.'
LOL

Cottage Grove, MN

#18 Jul 12, 2008
Bar wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected.
What I should be asking is what would make a kid go from breaking windows to threatening a police officer?
Obviously, he had a long criminal career, and this was his last 'promotion.'
Don't know for sure, but here are some common reasons.

1. Chemical impairment
2. Suicide by cop
3. He was plain nucking futs.
Sue

Hastings, MN

#19 Jul 12, 2008
all I have to say is he did'nt deserve to be shot in the head to be killed he only broke a window he could've been shot somewhere else and taken down but I guess that would have been to easy for the Hastings Police Department. my Sympathy to his his Family
Ash

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jul 12, 2008
Sue wrote:
all I have to say is he did'nt deserve to be shot in the head to be killed he only broke a window he could've been shot somewhere else and taken down but I guess that would have been to easy for the Hastings Police Department. my Sympathy to his his Family
Good Rucking Fidance

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump will win, wait and see just watch Aug 23 sgt Witold Kowal 1
News 2 ID'd In Hastings Apparent Murder-Suicide Aug 18 Old Sam 2
How to actually hook up Jun '16 Serrdog16 3
News In-N-Out Burger: Hastings, MN (Apr '12) Mar '16 Three Days 3 Miles 13
News Hastings cop cleared in fatal shooting in cemetery (Oct '08) Jan '16 digger 17
News St. Paul man charged in Selvig Jewelers robbery (Apr '08) Nov '15 Josh Lockhart Jr 13
catherine hintz (Jan '15) Aug '15 Sam 2

Hastings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hastings Mortgages