Teen faces murder charge in Rosemount...

Teen faces murder charge in Rosemount stabbing

There are 157 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 17, 2008, titled Teen faces murder charge in Rosemount stabbing. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Dakota County prosecutor charged Dakota Cheyenne Butler, 16, in juvenile court with one count of second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Cody Casey last Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Mad Jack

Waconia, MN

#1 Mar 18, 2008
I think Lakota has learned his lesson. It's time to let him go.
BillB St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 18, 2008
Rosemount was settled by Irish. Fun loving bunch, not killers.
Homeskillet

Wautoma, WI

#3 Mar 18, 2008
Never bring a rock-in-a-sock to a knife fight.
A mom

Eden Prairie, MN

#4 Mar 18, 2008
All this is completely senseless not to mention, stupid. I question whether Casey did bring a sock w/ a rock in it or was that something that the brother's did to make it look more like self-defense. The dead kid can't tell his side.
Bobo from Southern MN

Knife River, MN

#6 Mar 18, 2008
As I said yesterday, I feel bad that Mr. Casey died. But he brought a weapon with him to confront another guy about a girl, according to the Pioneer Press and the Star Tribune.

I was disappointed to read some of his friends defending his actions, saying "you weren't there so don't judge." Well, life isn't fair. Had he acted like a real man by talking to his girlfriend instead of an instigator, none of this would have happened in the first place. I'd like to believe someone who is coming off some tough times with drugs and alcohol would have been smart enough not to relapse into something stupid. I guess I was fooled again.

Equally, I'm not sympathetic towards the two suspects involved. One of them could have easily gone inside and called police. Again, it's that damn testoterone.

Teenage boys, especially those who dress like a bunch of wanna-be thugs, need to take a look in the mirror. They not only look ridiculous; they're acting as ridiculous as a bunch of white, trailer trash rednecks in the north.
Here We Go

Monroe, LA

#7 Mar 18, 2008
A mom wrote:
All this is completely senseless not to mention, stupid. I question whether Casey did bring a sock w/ a rock in it or was that something that the brother's did to make it look more like self-defense. The dead kid can't tell his side.
He went to the house to confront someone. He knew there were three brothers living there and there was animosity between them. He went alone.
He had some sort of weapon with him!
Marie

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Mar 18, 2008
Well this child needs to go to jail in the big house and learn his lesson! First of all the fight between the last man that got stabbed he chased the poor boy down the street and tried to beat him up yes the boy acted in self defense, this case the boy didnt even brandish his weapon until the other kid brandished his weapon. I dont think it was self defense!
student from rosemount

Duluth, MN

#9 Mar 18, 2008
first of all you all need to get your facts straight. I've known dakota since middle school and he's one of the nicest people i know. im not saying what he did was right but honestly cody shouldn't have gone there in the first place. he should have just talked to ariel about but he didn't. it's very sad to see that someone had to die over this especially a fellow student of mine. Dakota shouldn't be charged as an adult because he was just defending himself. Cody brought a weapon with him and struck dakota first.

anyways none of you know Dakota or Cody. none of you know what our school is going through, and you never will. so don't act like you know everything. it makes you look ignorant.

Since: Mar 08

St. Paul

#10 Mar 18, 2008
student from rosemount wrote:
first of all you all need to get your facts straight. I've known dakota since middle school and he's one of the nicest people i know. im not saying what he did was right but honestly cody shouldn't have gone there in the first place. he should have just talked to ariel about but he didn't. it's very sad to see that someone had to die over this especially a fellow student of mine. Dakota shouldn't be charged as an adult because he was just defending himself. Cody brought a weapon with him and struck dakota first.
anyways none of you know Dakota or Cody. none of you know what our school is going through, and you never will. so don't act like you know everything. it makes you look ignorant.
I really hope all your class mates don't feel the same way you do. Maybe Cody shouldn't have gone over there to start a fight but he definately didn't deserve to die. I'm sorry your friend Dakota got involved in this but you don't run up on anyone with a knife & expect to just poke them with it. If Dakota truely was defending himself he should've called the cops when he saw that Cody had a weapon.
student from rosemount

Duluth, MN

#12 Mar 18, 2008
i'm not saying he deserved to die, im saying that it's not all dakota's fault.

nobody desrves to die no matter what the excuse. dakota was scared, he didn't mean to kill him. what would you do if someone was hitting you in the head with rocks? i know you wouldn't just sit there and take it.

just if you're going to do anything pray for both dakota's and cody's families. they are the ones suffering the most.
Mel Jass

Titusville, FL

#13 Mar 18, 2008
Here We Go wrote:
<quoted text>
He went to the house to confront someone. He knew there were three brothers living there and there was animosity between them. He went alone.
He had some sort of weapon with him!
Darwinism at it's best-except the three brothers also survived!
Rock n sock connection

Monroe, LA

#15 Mar 18, 2008
mick foley and dwayne johnson were the original
Rocknsock Connection
Rosemount

Caldwell, NJ

#16 Mar 18, 2008
The sad thing is that there were two brothers there and only Cody. He did not bring any one with him. He went there knowing that the 19 old had two brother's. He went to confront the older brother by himself one on one. Like a man. Not a thug kid. Thing's could have been awhole lot worse if he was acting like a wannabe. Which he wasn't. Wannabe's and thugs never fight one on one with fists. Cause they can't handle an ass whipping.
Aaaa

Caldwell, NJ

#17 Mar 18, 2008
Sound like the 19 old brother was a coward. He knew that Cody was coming over. He called his brothers and told them to be ready for him. Then he was not there. Hiding if you ask me. Sounds like this whole family of boys are trouble. It's always the quite one's who do the most damage. Like school shootings and other murder plots.
Mad Jack

Waconia, MN

#18 Mar 18, 2008
Don't they teach how and when to use capital letters at Rosemount?
Irritated

Mankato, MN

#19 Mar 18, 2008
Mad Jack wrote:
Don't they teach how and when to use capital letters at Rosemount?
Don't people in Watertown have better things to do than read about happenings in other cities and then make comments on punctuation??
student from rosemount

Duluth, MN

#22 Mar 18, 2008
okay teenage boys just don't call the police when someone is at your house to beat you up. he brought the knife out just to try and get him to leave he wasn't planning on killing him. cody was the one who hit him first. and i didn't say it wasn't dakota's fault, i said it wasn't ALL dakota's fault. I'm sure he knows he screwed up.
And he is a nice person. don't tell me he wasn't unless you honestly knew him. nice people make horrible mistakes, and they should be forgiven for them.
Bobo from Southern MN

Knife River, MN

#25 Mar 18, 2008
Rosemount wrote:
The sad thing is that there were two brothers there and only Cody. He did not bring any one with him. He went there knowing that the 19 old had two brother's. He went to confront the older brother by himself one on one. Like a man. Not a thug kid. Thing's could have been awhole lot worse if he was acting like a wannabe. Which he wasn't. Wannabe's and thugs never fight one on one with fists. Cause they can't handle an ass whipping.
It makes me glad to see you and Sr. at Rosemount are taking the side of Cody. His actions proved he was just as much of a wanna-be thug as the two suspects. The only difference is that he wound up dead from being stabbed to death. If he didn't have too much testosterone and would have talked to his girlfriend instead of the suspects' brothers, there could have been a different outcome. Just like all the wanna-be gangsters living in the suburbs and the stupid white trash redneck hicks who live north of the Cities, the victim proved he was a real winner in this case. He brought the weapon and escalated the situation, according to police reports and the Dakota County Attorney's office. Those are the facts. Will Dakota get off? No. But could he and his brother work out a plea bargain given all the circumstances? Probably. The only way that could happen is if they hire or are given a good court-appointed lawyer.
Ariel Neally

Lakeville, MN

#26 Mar 18, 2008
The media had destroyed the lives of many. Don't believe everything you read.
Ariel Neally

Lakeville, MN

#27 Mar 18, 2008
And by the way...there is one person to blame and that's it. And clearly I'm not the one being held for charges. Mind your own business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hastings cave system entrances (May '08) Sat Pat07734 3
News Sheriff: Man Shot Dead In Trailer Park, Juvenil... Aug 7 Parden Pard 6
News Storm blows Rosemount Dairy Queen robbery loot ... (Sep '10) Nov '16 hahahahaha 8
Trump will win, wait and see just watch (Aug '16) Aug '16 sgt Witold Kowal 1
News 2 ID'd In Hastings Apparent Murder-Suicide (Aug '16) Aug '16 Dr Wu 1
How to actually hook up (Jun '16) Jun '16 Serrdog16 3
News In-N-Out Burger: Hastings, MN (Apr '12) Mar '16 Three Days 3 Miles 13

Hastings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hastings Mortgages