Hastings police to auction 1969 Ford Mustang after forfeiture

Public auctions have become a popular way for police departments to unload their seized and recovered property - mostly oodles of bikes, tools and electronics. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marine from Marine

United States

#24 May 5, 2011
Typically the court hands out the punishment for a DWI, which they should. However, taking someones stuff is wrong. The person paid his debt consisting of fines, revocation of license, jail, etc. Why do the police have the authority to punish additionally? It's not their job. What it is, is vigalante justice. Say two people commit the same crime, one driving a $200.00 auto, the other a $10,000 auto. One guy gets 50 times more punishment for the same crime. Take a persons car, they can't work and end up on welfare. Can you say unintended consiquences. I love my country, but I hate my government.
What Bob Zick

Plymouth, MN

#25 May 5, 2011
Really wrote:
Seems like a lot of Bob Zick supporters on the board....
Who is Bob Zick?

You mean Will Rossback's (the poacher/mayor) buddy?

Fed Up

Washington, DC

#26 May 5, 2011
Why did they return the car to him while he was appealing the forfeiture? Sounds like he stripped all the valuable parts off.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#27 May 5, 2011
Gabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Disgusting that somebody would drive drunk enough times, and get caught driving drunk enough times to allow the government to take their legally purchased car. They don't take it the first time you're arrested and convicted. Thankfully they don't have to wait until the person kills somebody either.
It's one thing to take posessions from say drug dealers, their money is dirty to begin with. Alcoholism is a disease, take their licence, take their keys, take their plates but it should be unconstitutional to take the vehicles. What's next, make an illegal turn and bam, no car?
Chris Mankey

Minneapolis, MN

#28 May 5, 2011
Wow - compelling journalism. They're selling off some d-bag's car. I'm glad I can finally sleep at night knowing that issue is settled. Am I reading a Twin Cities paper or is this Hibbing? I suppose we'll have updates on anniversaries and a list of garage sales next.
the cleaner

Le Center, MN

#30 May 6, 2011
Chris Mankey wrote:
Wow - compelling journalism. They're selling off some d-bag's car. I'm glad I can finally sleep at night knowing that issue is settled. Am I reading a Twin Cities paper or is this Hibbing? I suppose we'll have updates on anniversaries and a list of garage sales next.
We need to know things like this so we can stay informed of the govt's overstepping.
the cleaner

Le Center, MN

#31 May 6, 2011
Marine from Marine wrote:
Typically the court hands out the punishment for a DWI, which they should. However, taking someones stuff is wrong. The person paid his debt consisting of fines, revocation of license, jail, etc. Why do the police have the authority to punish additionally? It's not their job. What it is, is vigalante justice. Say two people commit the same crime, one driving a $200.00 auto, the other a $10,000 auto. One guy gets 50 times more punishment for the same crime. Take a persons car, they can't work and end up on welfare. Can you say unintended consiquences. I love my country, but I hate my government.
Or, it could be a $50,000+ vehicle. It is simply assinine that they can do this to their citizens.
Mike

United States

#32 May 6, 2011
It's simple, morons... don't drink and drive. Problem solved...
izzy

Minneapolis, MN

#33 May 6, 2011
Sad that they can take a car like that away from u cops suck in hastings they see a car they want and pull it over ,and i heard he was found not guilty of D.U.I
Doug Fredricksen

Maple Grove, MN

#34 May 6, 2011
The person you are talking about is me. Thank you for the support. There is more to this than a simple stop. I have no problems with people not liking drinking and driving its dangerous i get that and my first two (in my twenties) well deserved didnt even fight them. This one is a bit different. I was losing that car before the cop even got out. They with held evidence of the cop cam and boy did the cop run with that but bit him in the ass when the video tape showed up, then the true colors of Brian Schowalter (cop) came out. Never seen a cop look so stupid when he couldnt answer his own previous statements (because a video tape showed him to be lieing) but even with that it is still ok for him to lie. Remember I dont get to tell my story only now. I did not refuse any test until the station and the reason i refused which i didnt really say that but to move on I wanted a certain lawyer he said I could use only the two books sitting there and he would not get me a local phone book in which the lawyer i trusted with advice and know is not there just for my money. I called a cop friend to talk to him about this and this cop also testified in my defense. Now the refusal, Schowalter took the phone from me and said i was done with the phone 45 minutes before he legally had to and would not allow a breath test only blood and urine (he would not show me the PBT during the arrest he said he doesnt have to). That told me I was well under due to the fact I had 3 beers Mich Gold Light in an hour and a half but I think he was hopeing I had been drinking earlier in the day and find more in the blood or urine I was working so that didnt happen. There is so much more BS but I dont want to spend much more time on this cause you can imagine my anger. Hastings cops are the worst Dakota County cops I have seen not just because of this my other cars have been broken into and no results even chased the guy to his trailer home and did all the foot work and nothing when I called the police. Had a different truck get gang taged in my driveway saw other people did as well (from the paper) nothing but at 2 in the morning i had gotten a no tabs ticket while parked in my own driveway and i was sleeping. Had more things happen as well but decided to get cameras installed outside my house to deal with these matters. Looks like to me from living here that these cops are not trained to help the public but trained to get as much money as they can govt. is broke due to miss management and they are not tightening up instead they focus on the publics money and call themselves heros in the end. Not all cops suck, some do a good job and we need them but the idea of protect and serve is clearly no longer the goal. I want to thank everyone for there time to read this and I wrote a 4 page essay about my case and sent it to select people in hopes they would listen (even the mayor) but looks like it fell on deaf ears. Anyone intrested in the truth I have a 5 inch stack of paper work from all this. I own 3 business and all do well and the people who know me like me so calling me a drunk, dirtbag, or any other names grow up, like the guy said above one wrong turn and you lose the things you work hard for. Come to the conclusion that the govt owns everthing I own nothing they just let me use it.
One more thing

River Falls, WI

#35 May 6, 2011
Doug, you left out the most important thing. You were found NOT GUILTY of a DWI. It went to court, the tape of the field sobriety test was viewed by a jury, the cop was shown to be lying, you were cleared. This car was not used in a crime. They confiscated the car based only on the refusal--if that is a crime then its a crime, but you sure as heck don't use a car to commit it. I just don't see how they can take this car. It's ridiculous.
NUTSTOU

Minneapolis, MN

#36 May 7, 2011
The Minnesota gang task force demonstrated for all to see, that it is crooked cops, taking what they can get!
Buttomfly

Madison, WI

#37 May 8, 2011
They take the cars they want. You just never hear about it. This case made the paper, most don't. It is a very good source of revenue for local PD's. I know, we lost one too, worth about $15,000 just because they wanted it. It is useless to fight, it just costs you another lawyer and they win anyway. I wish there was a tally of people who lost cars in the last 5 years or so to forfeitures. Would make interesting reading. However, I think that lady who killed that pedestrian while drunk and got the light sentence for it, never lost her car. Go figure. She couldn't have killed him without the car, and it was a nice Audi if I remember right.
the cleaner

Le Center, MN

#38 May 11, 2011
Mike wrote:
It's simple, morons... don't drink and drive. Problem solved...
It is pretty simple....guys named mike in TX are d'bag losers!!
NUTSTOU

United States

#39 May 12, 2011
We all need to contact the legislature and have them pass a law banning the confiscation of folks personal property. It is one thing to take things from big time drug dealers, and a totally different thing to confiscate working class folks cars. In some cases it leads to unemployment for the family as they cannot get to work. They then lose their houses and end up on Welfare or the streets!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bbm pins from Hastings Oct 1 Millie 1
Hastings cop cleared in fatal shooting in cemetery (Oct '08) Jun '14 Klette 14
Anyone in the Woodbury,MN area know? (Jan '13) May '14 guest 2 3
Father Sentenced After 2-Year-Old Found With Al... (Mar '14) Mar '14 richard 1
Who do you support for Mayor (Lake St. Croix Be... (Oct '10) Mar '14 a real LSCB resident 87
Woman Accused Of Threatening Hospital Rampage (Feb '14) Feb '14 Vnilla girl jizon 2
Hastings unveils new logo (Jan '14) Jan '14 WhatIDesire 1
Hastings Dating
Find my Match

Hastings Jobs

Hastings People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hastings News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hastings

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]