Tossed gun goes off in struggle, cops...

Tossed gun goes off in struggle, cops say

There are 15 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 28, 2011, titled Tossed gun goes off in struggle, cops say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A West St. Paul man faces multiple felony charges after allegedly throwing a gun - causing it to fire - during a fight with police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 28, 2011
"The gun was fully loaded, with one of the bullets discharged and the firing pin mark nearby."

What does this statement even mean? It generates more questions rather than provding any factual information.

Whenever there is a story that contains information about a gun, the reporter needs to run it past Chris Niskanen to make sure sentences like this never appear in news stories.
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#3 Mar 29, 2011
Robert Thorn wrote:
"The gun was fully loaded, with one of the bullets discharged and the firing pin mark nearby."
What does this statement even mean? It generates more questions rather than provding any factual information.
Whenever there is a story that contains information about a gun, the reporter needs to run it past Chris Niskanen to make sure sentences like this never appear in news stories.
Your correct! I have never heard of a "firing pin mark" nearby. I have also never heard of a firing pin falling out of a weapon unless it were run over by a tank.
Matt

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Mar 29, 2011
I am only guessing, but I think

"firing pin mark"= spent shell casing???

Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 29, 2011
Matt wrote:
I am only guessing, but I think
"firing pin mark"= spent shell casing???
It's a news story so the the reader should not gave to guess what the reporter's words means. By the way how can a gun be 'fully loaded' if it has discharged a bullet and ejected a shell casing?(More guesswork since all of these details were not in the story).
AntiMelting

Buffalo, MN

#6 Mar 29, 2011
Robert Thorn wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a news story so the the reader should not gave to guess what the reporter's words means. By the way how can a gun be 'fully loaded' if it has discharged a bullet and ejected a shell casing?(More guesswork since all of these details were not in the story).
It means the reporter never grew up having bbgun wars or going out in the woods at age 10 with a .22, shooting "stuff."

In their world, guns are the problem not the finger on the trigger.
What

Newington, CT

#7 Mar 29, 2011
No mugshot?
Open Mind

Lindstrom, MN

#8 Mar 29, 2011
AntiMelting wrote:
<quoted text>
It means the reporter never grew up having bbgun wars or going out in the woods at age 10 with a .22, shooting "stuff."
100% correct ! All these morons know is to put any type firearm in BAD light, He is so excited to get the bad word out, His hands type faster than his mind can go !!!!!!!!!!
Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Mar 29, 2011
AntiMelting wrote:
<quoted text>
It also means she doesn't have enough brains to seek information when she is clueless on a topic. It's possible that she is so clueless that she doesn't know she is clueless.
Open Mind

Lindstrom, MN

#10 Mar 29, 2011
What wrote:
No mugshot?
ONLY TIME YA GET A MUG SHOT IS IF HE/SHE IS WHITE ! I have been keeping track on ALL news stories local & National, IT MUST BE A UNWRITER LAW OF THE PRESS, Only show the Photo's of white people! AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CHARGED!
Good Heavens, You wouldn't want to offend the TRASH in our country !!!
That would be UNAMERICAN & NOT POLITICALLY Correct !!!!!! WE Just have to Guess what a Rapist, Robber, Killer, Child Molester Etc. look like !!! Now Don't you feel safer ???
Cache

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Mar 29, 2011
Cache wrote:
What is with the swinging doors of our court system...the scum is arrested and turned loose...when are you bleeding hearts going to learn who the criminals are. 90% in prison are Black or Hispanic...wake up THEY ARE THE CRIMINALS! Dumber than a bag of hammers is the public!
OMG ...Wow...from the judging I See I struck a nerve and the bleeding heart progressive liberals are delusional by their votes...you fools keep ignoring the real facts...silliness at best stupid head in the sand suicide at the worst!
Dry fire

Long Lake, MN

#13 Mar 29, 2011
If a centerfire gun is shot without a round in the chamber the fireing pin can break and fly out the barrel, a small piece of it anyway.

Don't suspect that is what occurred here.

Reporters should either know the subject or not do the story.

Nick

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Mar 29, 2011
Dry fire wrote:
If a centerfire gun is shot without a round in the chamber the fireing pin can break and fly out the barrel, a small piece of it anyway.
>>Reporters should either know the subject or not do the story.<<

Reporting would come to a standstill.
Get Real

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Mar 31, 2011
What a poorly written article. I think I just have become dumber as a result. Miranda needs to get some basic instructions on some very simple things like guns. How does a gun leave a firing pin mark near by?
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#16 Apr 1, 2011
Dry fire wrote:
All 22's are rim fire ammo and contrary to the myth dry firing DOES NOT arm the weapon. Well maybe a $50 dollar gun. Most gun companies tell you to dry fire your weapon so you have a feel for the pull [lbs] of your weapon. Especially your carry weapon.
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#17 Apr 1, 2011
Tweet this Post!#3 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
DeadHorrorFan
Elitist Gun Snob Join Date: Sep 2007

----------

The idea that you can't dry fire a weapon is a myth....with a few exceptions. I worked for a 30+ year experienced gun smith and gun seller. He has more than reassured me of the facts about it in the time I've known him. As a matter of fact, he lets all of his customers dry fire the weapons he sells as often as they like. Because he knows there is no danger.

But like I said...there are a few exceptions. Never dry fire a rim fire weapon. The striker pin has no stop, and it can literally ping off the retainer in the back of the pin and crack, or break apart altogether. So dry firing rimfires is a BIG no-no.

The other exception is antique firearms dating from the 1950's and prior. Usually, the steel is a bit more brittle than whats being used in newer production firearms, and while it can take the stress more often than not, it's probably still not a good idea to test it. For instance, I wouldn't fire a pre 1960's Winchester 94, but the newer ones, I'll cycle the trigger in all day long and never think twice about the damage done. Mainly because there isn't any.

If you're just looking to dry fire for the control and trigger practice, well....how else can you practice without actually firing rounds which sometimes just isn't practical based on your location or circumstances.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Storm blows Rosemount Dairy Queen robbery loot ... (Sep '10) Nov 27 hahahahaha 8
Trump will win, wait and see just watch Aug '16 sgt Witold Kowal 1
News 2 ID'd In Hastings Apparent Murder-Suicide Aug '16 Old Sam 2
How to actually hook up (Jun '16) Jun '16 Serrdog16 3
News In-N-Out Burger: Hastings, MN (Apr '12) Mar '16 Three Days 3 Miles 13
News Hastings cop cleared in fatal shooting in cemetery (Oct '08) Jan '16 digger 17
News St. Paul man charged in Selvig Jewelers robbery (Apr '08) Nov '15 Josh Lockhart Jr 13

Hastings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hastings Mortgages