State of Shutdown: Lakeville's Nonpro...

State of Shutdown: Lakeville's Nonprofits Being Affected

There are 24 comments on the Patch.com story from Jul 6, 2011, titled State of Shutdown: Lakeville's Nonprofits Being Affected. In it, Patch.com reports that:

Thus far, Lakeville has seen relatively little impact from the state shutdown. But sadly, as time moves forward nonprofits stand to lose a lot if the shutdown persists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
shutdown

Elk River, MN

#1 Jul 7, 2011
The shutdown hasn't affected many people, just those looking for the government to bail them out.
liberal spending

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jul 7, 2011
just stop spending money we do'nt have !

2012 will be here soon and we can have faith in the system when the muslim is not voted back, but voted out !
shutdown wrote:
The shutdown hasn't affected many people, just those looking for the government to bail them out.
Professor

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 7, 2011
Shutdown? The government has shutdown?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#4 Jul 7, 2011
Professor wrote:
Shutdown? The government has shutdown?
Most will never know the difference.

But sadly, there are some who will. There are some very needy people that will be going without assistance as documented every single morning, noon, and night by each of our caring local TV stations.

Two things the talking heads always forget to mention are:

Gov GoogleyEyes had a balanced budget with an additional $2 billion in spending over our prior budget sitting on his desk to sign. He chose not to sign it. That happened to be the biggest budget in the State's history.

While the blind and the needy go without assistance they so badly need, Gov GoogleyEye's Chef at the Gov's Mansion is preparing his
dinner each night while the gardener makes sure that there are no weeds in the Mansion's organic gardens.

Just sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Teacher

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 8, 2011
These "non-profits have gotten out of hand. Our health insurance companies are also in this catagory. They sure take in lots of money and pay their upper management multi millions of dollars. I dont feel sorry for any of them and certainly wonder where the money goes even in the smallest non-profits. Ninty percent of the time, someone is making a great living "helping" others.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Jul 8, 2011
Teacher wrote:
These "non-profits have gotten out of hand. Our health insurance companies are also in this catagory. They sure take in lots of money and pay their upper management multi millions of dollars. I dont feel sorry for any of them and certainly wonder where the money goes even in the smallest non-profits. Ninty percent of the time, someone is making a great living "helping" others.
Non-profit does not mean they do not make money. Many of them make lots and lots of money.

Example: Bill Kling and his phony empire of non-profits (MPR, APR, etc.) funneling business into his for profit companies.
LOVE THE SHUTDOWN

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jul 8, 2011
Working in the private sector in St Paul using I35 daily my traffic is vastly improved. It's either a lot less traffic OR State workers don't know how to drive, OR both.

Makes no diff to me just keep the State shutdown!!

The only parts of the State shutdown are non-essential anyway so keep it shutdown FOREVER.

Since: May 11

Burnsville, MN

#8 Jul 8, 2011
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Most will never know the difference.
But sadly, there are some who will. There are some very needy people that will be going without assistance as documented every single morning, noon, and night by each of our caring local TV stations.
Two things the talking heads always forget to mention are:
Gov GoogleyEyes had a balanced budget with an additional $2 billion in spending over our prior budget sitting on his desk to sign. He chose not to sign it. That happened to be the biggest budget in the State's history.
While the blind and the needy go without assistance they so badly need, Gov GoogleyEye's Chef at the Gov's Mansion is preparing his
dinner each night while the gardener makes sure that there are no weeds in the Mansion's organic gardens.
Just sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it?
he is paying for his chef out of his own pocket.
Arch on Larch

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jul 8, 2011
Excxuse Me.

Tax exempt 501(C)(3) charitable non profit organizations that depend on taxpayers funds to operate should have their status removed.

The Non profit health care monopoly is sitting on three billion in profits they are NOT suppose to have as long as they are a Tax Exempt non profit orginazation, Anyone ever wonder why Minnesota is dysfunctional?

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#10 Jul 9, 2011
Snake Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
he is paying for his chef out of his own pocket.
I have seen a number of news stories on what is and is not open. You are the first to make a claim regarding him paying for the chef out of his own pocket.

How do you know this?

Since: May 11

Lakeville, MN

#11 Jul 9, 2011
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen a number of news stories on what is and is not open. You are the first to make a claim regarding him paying for the chef out of his own pocket.
How do you know this?
thursday nights eyewitness news
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jul 9, 2011
Arch on Larch wrote:
Excxuse Me.
Tax exempt 501(C)(3) charitable non profit organizations that depend on taxpayers funds to operate should have their status removed.
The Non profit health care monopoly is sitting on three billion in profits they are NOT suppose to have as long as they are a Tax Exempt non profit orginazation, Anyone ever wonder why Minnesota is dysfunctional?
You are just ignorant. Non-profits can be subcontractors to provide services for the government. I thought republicans were for subcontracting. Most non-profits have extremely flat structures making for minimum overhead. Any non-profit in its tax filings every year have to show that they are fulfilling their mission statements and there monies are being directed toward that mission (except perhaps churches which most really don't deserve to be 501c3 nonprofits, but it is a separation of church and state issue). I would get you IQ checked you may qualify to receive some services.
Best outcome

Delano, MN

#14 Jul 9, 2011
St Croix State park was closed during the major wind damage. IF it had been open many campers may have been injured.

Keep the State closed.
Arch on Larch

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jul 9, 2011
Truth

I don't need tp puke on your defense of Non profits contracting with the state and the filing of a ff900 and other stupulations that forbid a non profit from making a profit..........

Tell us ignorant citizens how the Non profit health care monopoly is sitting on 3 Billion dollars profit, exposed by Governor Dayton that demanded a look at their records. Non profits have not seen public sunshine in over 25 years in Minnesota.

The three bid contracting is no longer used by the state when issuing state contracts. The criteria is an allowance, For race of the subcontractor, The Sex of the subcontractor an allowance for being a non profit with disabilities. When all of the "Special Rights" are considered, the average Minnesotan has no chance of getting a contract as a subcontractor... Ewe are an un informed ignoramis that has no idea of how the non profits screw the people of minnesota. Check it out "PRECIATE"
SpongeBob

Flushing, NY

#16 Jul 9, 2011
shutdown wrote:
Minnesota’s government shutdown brought some programs at the Lighthouse Center for Vision Loss in West Duluth to a halt.

Seven students, ranging in age from teens to 50s, won’t be getting intensive training for the balance of the shutdown. The newspaper isn’t being read anymore to visually impaired people in the region via special-frequency radio.

It’s disappointing for Jennifer Davies, 24, who’s hoping to be able to return to college next spring after several years of diabetes-related medical challenges that included vision loss in 2008.
SpongeBob

Flushing, NY

#17 Jul 9, 2011
Best outcome wrote:
St Croix State park was closed during the major wind damage. IF it had been open many campers may have been injured.
Keep the State closed.
The burden of no bus service will impact thousands of people. Traffic will certainly increase but worse is that some people will not be able to get to their jobs, or to their health care provider, or to any of the places they need to be. It will disrupt city life as well as local businesses who rely on the buses to deliver both their customers and their employees.

The potential end of bus service means I'll be out $300 a month, but that doesn't compare to the hundreds of thousands of dollars the city could possibly lose.
SpongeBob

Flushing, NY

#18 Jul 9, 2011
shutdown wrote:
ST. CLOUD, Minn.(AP)- Minnesota's $11 billion travel and leisure industry continues to creep out of the recession, but experts said there could be obstacles ahead, including a government shutdown.

The president of Hospitality Minnesota, Dan McElroy said about 75,000-80,000 jobs -- of the 2.6 million jobs in the state -- are at risk from a shutdown."We're worried," he said.

The impact on tourism would vary by region, McElroy said, "but we're concerned, particularly along the North Shore where those six state parks along (U.S.) Highway 61 are a big part of the draw."

Those are some of the state's premier parks -- Split Rock, Gooseberry Falls, Tettegouche, George Crosby Manitou, Temperance River and Cascade River. If those parks, and Judge C.R. Magney and Grand Portage farther north, were to close, businesses in the area would suffer.

SpongeBob

Flushing, NY

#19 Jul 9, 2011
Dat Tru wrote:
<quoted text>Surly you jest! The head of many non-profits make half a million to over a million dollars a year. And, Government oversight is a joke. Also, when government money is funneled through a religious charity they are bound by the separation of church and state guidelines. That's why the Catholic adoption agencies stopped taking government money, they were forced to adopt to gay couples.
They more than stopped taking gov't money, they closed the adoption services.

The Catholic Diocese of Rockford, IL announced the closing of their adoption agencies last week, forced out of service due to new legislation that would oblige them to service homosexual couples.

Catholic Charities of Illinois has been in business for more than 100 years, providing adoption and foster-care homes to hundreds of children. Currently, the Diocese handles approximately 350 foster family and adoption cases in 11 counties in northern Illinois with a state budget of $7.5 million and 58 workers who will now no longer have jobs.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#20 Jul 9, 2011
Snake Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
thursday nights eyewitness news
I went to the KSTP web site and found the story, thanks.

"The shutdown is creating some political heat in Governor Dayton's kitchen. Minnesota Republicans say the chef and housekeeper at the Governor's residence are still on the job."

"Republicans say his chef earns 45 thousand dollars and his housekeeper/server makes 35 grand. The DFL and the governor's office say Dayton is paying for his chef out of his own pocket and the housekeeper is needed to maintain the nearly one-hundred-year-old residence."

OK, after getting slammed - and rightfully so - the trust fund baby decided to pay for the chef. But the housekeeper is an "essential" employee? And how about his gardener?

But the aides for the handicapped, the blind, and disabled are still non-essential in the Governor's eyes.

Gov GoogleyEyes is still a piece of crapola.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#21 Jul 9, 2011
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Minnesota’s government shutdown brought some programs at the Lighthouse Center for Vision Loss in West Duluth to a halt.
Yep, good old Gov GoogleyEyes gardener and housekeeper are essential employees that need to stay on during the shut down.

PLEASE NOTE: Per the information uncovered by Dr. Snake, Gov GoogleyEyes is paying for his personal chef at the Masion out of his own pocket.

We are so lucky to have this Trust Fund Baby as our State's leader.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A history of bullying complaints dogs Hastings ... Feb 10 Jim Clothier 1
News Hotel and restaurant eyed for century-old river... Jan 28 Jim Clothier 1
News St. Paul / Porky's drive-in is going for a ride (Apr '11) Dec '17 Berand Kirchner 31
News Storm blows Rosemount Dairy Queen robbery loot ... (Sep '10) Oct '17 Cazer Int 9
News Sheriff: Man Shot Dead In Trailer Park, Juvenil... (Aug '17) Sep '17 Aprillee1982 10
hastings cave system entrances (May '08) Aug '17 Anonymous 3
Trump will win, wait and see just watch (Aug '16) Aug '16 sgt Witold Kowal 1

Hastings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hastings Mortgages