Return a can, get a dime. Two DFLers ...

Return a can, get a dime. Two DFLers ask why not?

There are 135 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 8, 2011, titled Return a can, get a dime. Two DFLers ask why not?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

When it comes to recycling bottles and cans, Minnesota pales in comparison with Iowa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Apr 8, 2011
Let me guess, at the end of every quarter, points of sale have to give the state any unclaimed deposits, is that how the scam's going to work? Based on the way Obama ran the country into the ground lots of people have resorted to scrapping. Now the government wants that.
Klueless Klobachar

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 8, 2011
This is part of Amy and Als plans to get Minnesotans back to work. This is the best plan they can come up with.

Since: Apr 08

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#3 Apr 9, 2011
A new tax, Surprise. DFL = TAXES.
10 cents a can

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 9, 2011
Is an extra buck twenty on a 12 pack. With the price of pop already going up, I guess it's a way to finally get me to stop drinking it.(Since I never purchase a 'single' 12 pack, only larger quantities when they are on sale; it'll kill my ability to purchase it.)

We are already recycling our cans/bottles at our place,(glass/plastic to the curb & aluminum to the recycler for 'bonus' money during some entertainment event)

I guess I can use the money I "save" by not purchasing pop, to purchase headache medicine instead.(Hmm, less money for the state, pop = sales tax / medicine = no-tax)
Cindy S

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Apr 9, 2011
For 10 cents a can (and bottle) the scrappers will not only go through your trash but will break into your garage and homes.
iowan

Hazel Green, AL

#6 Apr 9, 2011
Iowa also returns thier stinky, filthy cans to thier food source, the grocery store. The back rooms of some grocery stores are terrible. Its a tax, don't let them fool ya
Smartass

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Apr 9, 2011
Wow can my dimes all be dated like 1881 ? Then I can sell them for profit..........OMG , I am starting to think like a republican, please shoot me
Old Guy

Andover, MN

#8 Apr 9, 2011
These politicians need to go back to sleep. What a stupid proposal.
Rachel Carson

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 9, 2011
We can't keep throwing away 65 percent of our recyclables. The state gave industry a chance to move the needle, and they failed. Now it's time for someone else to give it a try. And it's only a tax on people too lazy to collect their deposits. I say let's give it a shot!
mrmr

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 9, 2011
Why do we need this? We have curbside recycling here. When I lived in Iowa about 5 years ago, we didn't have curbside recycling, only bottle/cab deposit. So guess what? I didn't recycle any cardboard and paper, I couldn't in fact. It all went in the trash. It it was a pain in the a s s to have to keep the cans inside becuase if we left them out, someone wold just take them.
Jim M

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Apr 9, 2011
Would the new law require returned cans be brought back whole or could they be crushed? Whole cans take up a lot of space and in two-week's time some of us would have a big pile of cans. A bummer. I am thinking the bar codes would have to remain intact.
Exxon Valdez

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 9, 2011
NO WAY! I fought in Vietnam for the right to throw my cans and bottles in the ditch, and no new law is going to take that right from me. Recycling is dumb. The people who do it are stupid. I pay my trashman to take my trash, and that INCLUDES empty cans and bottles. If the government is going to charge me for landfills, I am damn well going to get my money's worth.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Apr 9, 2011
Rachel Carson wrote:
We can't keep throwing away 65 percent of our recyclables. The state gave industry a chance to move the needle, and they failed. Now it's time for someone else to give it a try. And it's only a tax on people too lazy to collect their deposits. I say let's give it a shot!
cans are one part of recycling, not sure how much of a difference it would make, but it would raise the prices for everyone.
wtf

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Apr 9, 2011
It was a simple fix wrote:
A new tax, Surprise. DFL = TAXES.
How is this a tax? You're actually getting money back in return!

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Apr 9, 2011
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
no you pay extra 10cents at the register and every can not returned will cost you 10 cents, which will go to the state.
wth

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 9, 2011
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
They will need more govt workers to manage this new tax (program). Who will pay them?
Give it a try

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Apr 9, 2011
Years ago, there was always a deposit required on pop bottles and beer bottles, prior to the wasteful introduction of plastic, glass, and aluminum throw away containers, which makes no sense at all. Kids looking for extra money would walk the ditches looking for containers they could collect and return to the store and receive the deposit. Chances are if there was a deposit put on the containers, you would be hard pressed to find and empty container laying along side the road, or scattered throughout a public park.
Recycling

Elk River, MN

#18 Apr 9, 2011
Recycling actually has more negative effects on the environment than not recycling. The whole process to break down the plastic and aluminum so they can use it again uses up too many Al Gore carbon credits.
Recycling

Elk River, MN

#19 Apr 9, 2011
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
You're also paying more for the product in the beginning which gives the state more tax revenue. Not hard to figure out if you have any education at all wtf.
bob

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Apr 9, 2011
This idea is so bad it stinks. We are already recycling cans. Even if it goes to a landfill eventually someone will figure out a way to mine the landfills and materials will be reused.

At the end of the day this is another way to create lost of meaningless jobs and add a burden on stores, etc. In the end it will end up costing consumers more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Storm blows Rosemount Dairy Queen robbery loot ... (Sep '10) Nov '16 hahahahaha 8
Trump will win, wait and see just watch (Aug '16) Aug '16 sgt Witold Kowal 1
News 2 ID'd In Hastings Apparent Murder-Suicide (Aug '16) Aug '16 Old Sam 2
How to actually hook up (Jun '16) Jun '16 Serrdog16 3
News In-N-Out Burger: Hastings, MN (Apr '12) Mar '16 Three Days 3 Miles 13
News Hastings cop cleared in fatal shooting in cemetery (Oct '08) Jan '16 digger 17
News St. Paul man charged in Selvig Jewelers robbery (Apr '08) Nov '15 Josh Lockhart Jr 13

Hastings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hastings Mortgages