Where one man's trash is . . . ONE TO...

Where one man's trash is . . . ONE TOWN'S REVENUE

There are 271 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 2, 2009, titled Where one man's trash is . . . ONE TOWN'S REVENUE. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

As barbecue grills, bikes and an occasional lawn mower disappear from alleys in Evanston , officials are studying how to regulate "junk metal pirates." The scavengers often drive beater pickups and usually target discarded appliances and other castoffs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
evanston resident

Chicago, IL

#280 Jun 4, 2009
Let the haulers recycle! Those guys are working hard and doing the community a service...for free! Evanston is getting too greedy for anyone's good.
JSIII

Homer Glen, IL

#281 Jun 5, 2009
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, that is the uncomfortable truth. More and more, people are beginning to figure this out. But few are willing to talk openly about it.
Hopefully they will come forward on election day, Throwing out Dummy-Crats & Republicants alike. We need Politicians who reflect the values of the people, not the elite, not the poorest of the poor, but the average family.

“ChiliMac joins Topix!”

Since: Sep 08

Chicago, IL

#282 Jun 5, 2009
You're not going to get rid of Republicans or Democrats. What you can do is get to the primaries and change the people who represent those parties.
JSIII wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully they will come forward on election day, Throwing out Dummy-Crats & Republicants alike. We need Politicians who reflect the values of the people, not the elite, not the poorest of the poor, but the average family.
SharonD

Hampshire, IL

#283 Jun 5, 2009
JSIII wrote:
JSIII wrote:<quoted text>
The government doesn't want you to be independent, they dont want you to own a small business, they want you Dependant totally and fully on them. The Chicago politicians have successfully held the poverty vote for decades because they control basically the survival of anyone on welfare. If they stay in office, maybe more welfare is given out, if they dont, it is cut. Now obama wants to pay for college IF and only IF you pledge to work for the government for a length of time(who leaves the public sector for the private?) we will be slaves from cradle to grave.
I agree with you on everything except the college issue. Why should "Obama" (taxpayers) pay for everyone to go to college without compensation. I actually think the trade of college fees for work makes sense.
Evanston taxpayer

South Bend, IN

#284 Jun 7, 2009
The same idiots that run our city, who want to tax junk collectors.
Have proposed that we take the current recycling service which is done by a private company and put the city workers who pick up the trash on it. Then privatize the trash collection service.
To these clowns it is all about protecting their patronage jobs and taxing us citizens.
Why not privitize both? They have 2 city employees for garbage truck versus one for private companies in other suburbs.
Evanston has one of the highest effective tax rates of all the suburbs.
JSIII

Homer Glen, IL

#285 Jun 8, 2009
SharonD wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you on everything except the college issue. Why should "Obama" (taxpayers) pay for everyone to go to college without compensation. I actually think the trade of college fees for work makes sense.
The thing is then suddenly your vested interests are the same as a welfare family. Bigger government, more reckless spending, means you, as a government worker, benefit. It a way to enslave you because basically, if you vote against the socialize healthcare, or college program, or to cut spending, your now suddenly voting against yourself or your kids, and who would do that? I swear sometimes i wonder if these democrats are master chess players or just lucky.
SharonD

Hampshire, IL

#286 Jun 9, 2009
JSIII wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing is then suddenly your vested interests are the same as a welfare family. Bigger government, more reckless spending, means you, as a government worker, benefit. It a way to enslave you because basically, if you vote against the socialize healthcare, or college program, or to cut spending, your now suddenly voting against yourself or your kids, and who would do that? I swear sometimes i wonder if these democrats are master chess players or just lucky.
I also disagree with you about voting against big spending projects equating to a vote against yourself or your kids. "Free rides" have to be paid for by future generations. How is that good for today's kids? You seem to be advocating big social services.

Government needs to get out of the business of first extorting money in order to appear genenerous--and buy votes. Forced "charity" isn't charity at all.
SharonD

Hampshire, IL

#287 Jun 9, 2009
JSIII wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see how working off a college loan for a finite period of time puts your interests in line with those of a welfare recipient. It'd be like going into the armed forces. Sure, some will become lifers, but others will be champing at the bit to get out once the term is up.
JSIII

Homer Glen, IL

#288 Jun 11, 2009
SharonD wrote:
<quoted text>
I also disagree with you about voting against big spending projects equating to a vote against yourself or your kids. "Free rides" have to be paid for by future generations. How is that good for today's kids? You seem to be advocating big social services.
Government needs to get out of the business of first extorting money in order to appear genenerous--and buy votes. Forced "charity" isn't charity at all.
Your getting me all wrong I am not FOR big government or welfare. People in general are dumb, they dont think about the future of their children, many families are lucky to have both parents in the home, They dont realize that the free healthcare today means that their childrens children will live in a third world country.
SharonD

Hampshire, IL

#289 Jun 11, 2009
Lucia Bartoli wrote:
Regarding the scavenger issue in Evanston, at least they are scavenging what people have thrown out. Here is southern California there are scavengers ripping copper wire from street lamps, taking the bolts from copper/brass plaques, stealing metal sculptures from city streets. It is awful. Now the police have sent notice to scrap metal buyers to notify the authorities when someone sells them such stuff. They audit the local buyers of scrap and if they buy, they lose their business license and are prosecuted with fines and perhaps jail time. It is a very serious problem out here.
That happens here, too, but not so often. Last year a copper thief was electrocuted by a high-voltage transformer outside an abandoned building when he cut the copper wires above the switchgear. Darwin rules!
community idiot

Kansas City, MO

#290 Jun 12, 2009
these people are nuts ...
they require a drivers license in florida and video surveillance is routine
there have been instances where cell towers are stripped of all their copper antenna lines from the ground up
people found dead in sewers in milwaukee attempting to cut feeder lines
missing siding and plumbing from new construction
appliances need to be stripped of their freon before recycling
this isnt world war II ....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harwood Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) 5 hr watched him 178
Taylor St. gypsies claiming Melrose Parker iden... 9 hr eP_2112A 9
News Girl drowns at Gary Beach (Jul '07) Fri Auntie Tutu 24
berwyn gang shooting (Aug '08) Fri cicerogirl 266
Robert T Larson (Aug '16) Feb 15 REALSARVOLUNTEER 3
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? (Mar '08) Feb 14 Scrubber59 669
candlestick Feb 12 indiana hall monitor 6

Harwood Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harwood Heights Mortgages