Where one man's trash is . . . ONE TOWN'S REVENUE

Full story: Chicago Tribune

As barbecue grills, bikes and an occasional lawn mower disappear from alleys in Evanston , officials are studying how to regulate "junk metal pirates." The scavengers often drive beater pickups and usually target discarded appliances and other castoffs.
Comments
1 - 20 of 272 Comments Last updated Jun 12, 2009
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Jack Armstrong

Chicago, IL

#1 Jun 2, 2009
I think our local governments have officially reached a new, desperate low in their desire to continue raping the people, due in large part to their inabilities to maintain a budget.

What clowns.
Chicago

Skokie, IL

#2 Jun 2, 2009
They are constantly here in Skokie. Daily if not hourly now. I have no fence and if anything is out back it seems to be fair game. I'm tired of losing my stuff. Skokie does nothing.
paperdoll

Melrose Park, IL

#3 Jun 2, 2009
I live in the city on the northwest side. Several times a day, scavenger pick-up trucks go through my alley. NEVER has anything been removed from my property except the stuff I put out by the garbage cans. These folks are just trying to scrape out a very meager living, so as long as they have insurance, can't we just leave them alone? The idea that Evanston wants to ding their residents $25 extra for a service for which they already pay taxes is not very...intellectual.
JSIII

Downers Grove, IL

#5 Jun 2, 2009
Wow...the city is whining because the scrappers are not only aiding in recycling but also reducing the work load of city garbage men.... Why do we elect these people? Does anyone else see how insane this is? I Guess we should do away with non government jobs to, because it takes away potential jobs government works could be doing.
JSIII

Downers Grove, IL

#6 Jun 2, 2009
Chicago wrote:
They are constantly here in Skokie. Daily if not hourly now. I have no fence and if anything is out back it seems to be fair game. I'm tired of losing my stuff. Skokie does nothing.
In Florida you could shoot the guys..... At my place of business, usually the guy comes up front and asks if something is not in a dumpster. if its outback in a dumpster, legally, its fair game.
an observant citizen

Evanston, IL

#7 Jun 2, 2009
if someone can make a living hauling away my junk for free, while saving me from paying another $25 bucks to the city, i am all for it! these folks have found a way to earn a living while performing a voluntary--and valuable--community service. the city should back off and let them work.

if evanston needs revenue,$89K is PEANUTS compared to the MILLIONS given away to greedy developers every year!

hey there, aldermen? mayor tisdahl? can you HEAR this!? if not, you're not representing your constituents....
Pollyanna

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 2, 2009
I HIGHLY doubt there's much of a problem with these scavengers entering private property and stealing things.

If you've put stuff out in the alley or in your trash cans in the alley, it is fair game. These people perform a service while trying to eek out a living for themselves.

“http://tinyurl.c om/dgnlyl”

Since: May 08

Buffalo Grove, IL - HR-676!!!

#9 Jun 2, 2009
People just trying to survive, and the government trying to stop them from surviving.

Nuttin' new with that scenario.
Michael J

Chicago, IL

#10 Jun 2, 2009
This must be Evanston's dumbest idea of the month! Don't Evanston leaders have more serious needs to handle such as stopping violent crime and making the city more livable. Get real or get another job!
Tired of this nonsense

Fairport, NY

#11 Jun 2, 2009
So typical Evanston. Completely boneheaded idea -- try to eliminate the junk collectors so that we can pay more in taxes.

Why not lay off a few city garbage collectors if there is less trash to pick up?

News flash to the Evanston Mayor and City Council: it's called cutting expenses. Not everything needs to be about raising taxes and other fees to residents. Try CUTTING for a change.

But our new mayor is a millionaire. I think that she will think that "the little people" paying more in taxes and fees will be just great.
Pete

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 2, 2009
Naturally the North Shore towns, instead of cracking down on increasing real crime, decide to enforce totally victimless crimes by targeting the working poor.
Flooded

Park Ridge, IL

#13 Jun 2, 2009
These people did everyone a huge favor during the clean-up after last September's flood. I was very happy to see that a lot of junk was recycled rather than just dumped in a landfill
Bugger Off

Northbrook, IL

#14 Jun 2, 2009
Leave the guys alone. The only time I don't like them is when they park their full trucks on residential streets. But they are very helpful and I have never met one who wasn't polite. Bless them, they do a fantastic service in my northwest side neighborhood.
Andy

Phoenix, AZ

#15 Jun 2, 2009
It's stupid stuff like this that makes me ashamed to have grown up in Evanston. The mayor must be taking lessons from that shyster Daley on how to nickle and dime the people.
Bob J

Evanston, IL

#16 Jun 2, 2009
Dear Evanston,

Give a poor taxpayer a break. Those very same scavengers hauled an old, non-functioning, rust-filled radiator out of my yard so I didn't have to haul the monster out to the alley so you could charge me $25 to pick it up.

Back off. These poor guys are trying to make a buck and they save your citizens a few bucks in the process.

Sounds like a win-win to me.
TPK

United States

#17 Jun 2, 2009
This is SO Evanston. These liberal pukes will do anything for a tax payer's dollar. They are actually concerned that these scaverngers are taking CANS! Oh no!!! And, if you don't want your lawn mower to get taken, don't leave it unattended in an alley, you dope! The people of E-Town have way too much time on their hands.
Hmmmmm

Hoffman Estates, IL

#18 Jun 2, 2009
an observant citizen wrote:
if someone can make a living hauling away my junk for free, while saving me from paying another $25 bucks to the city, i am all for it! these folks have found a way to earn a living while performing a voluntary--and valuable--community service. the city should back off and let them work.
if evanston needs revenue,$89K is PEANUTS compared to the MILLIONS given away to greedy developers every year!
hey there, aldermen? mayor tisdahl? can you HEAR this!? if not, you're not representing your constituents....
And it looks like they don't even need to charge that $25 bucks. They do it because they can.
Alex

Glen Ellyn, IL

#19 Jun 2, 2009
A politician can't stand it, if taxpayers receive a service for free. These corrupt politicians want to regulate everything and everyone. Tax and charge fees for everything to support these leaches that feed off the working public.
JSIII

Chicago, IL

#20 Jun 3, 2009
The government doesn't want you to be independent, they dont want you to own a small business, they want you Dependant totally and fully on them. The Chicago politicians have successfully held the poverty vote for decades because they control basically the survival of anyone on welfare. If they stay in office, maybe more welfare is given out, if they dont, it is cut. Now obama wants to pay for college IF and only IF you pledge to work for the government for a length of time(who leaves the public sector for the private?) we will be slaves from cradle to grave.
Matthew

Skokie, IL

#21 Jun 3, 2009
Chicago wrote:
I agree, they are constantly perusing our alley in Skokie as well...we put up a privacy fence to keep them from invading to get stuff that's left at the edge of the lawn.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harwood Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr well 49,521
considering buying home in Berwyn..advice? (Dec '07) 4 hr Peggy 77
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? (Mar '08) 10 hr Taxpayer for years 516
zurek signature collector ronald ferguson 15 hr Disappointed in FP 4
hillside hurricanes 15 hr sucks to be you 2
did Adan echevira aka the weasel steal from the... 16 hr the truth 1
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 17 hr only one voter 1,909
•••
•••
•••

Harwood Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••