What happened to the Hillside Shoppin...

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#326 Mar 24, 2013
Hey! My first car was a '73 Maverick and I had a Pyramid EQ - power booster with all the little LEDs hooked up to a Radio Shack(Tandy) cassette "headunit" with Jensen speakers. State of the art for the time. Very loud but distorted. Really who cared about distortion though? My dean was Mr. Bowles and after so many visits he just said screw it. I never had any issues with the T.O.'s. Too smart to get caught. I did on one occasion have my Mom rip a T.O. a new one. I was sick as all hell, my mom had to take me to the Doctor and we stopped at Standard and got gas. My Mom was talking to Ben, the owner and sure enough a red Suburban pulls up on the other side of the pump. I think the T.O. was Steve Bartells and he walked up to the car and started giving me the third degree about not being in school. I was like I'm sick. Then my Mom walks out with Ben and was like Hey, who are you and why are you talking to my kid? She thought he was up to no good. He explained he was a truant officer and that he wanted to know why I wasn't in school. My Mom, being a Teamster and working at Teamster City wasn't having it. She let a barrage of profanities loose on this guy. I was pretty sick but I remember Ben laughing and the T.O. was like I'm sorry Mam. I don't even think he got gas. He wanted out of there.
Mr. Beck used to say to us "Be part of the three quarter A club and make your parents proud"! If you take the back part of the A off it's an F. That was his saying in 1980. I know he was not back in 1981 so maybe that incident happened in the second semester of my freshman year. Actually if you didn't take your fingers off of the generator you wouldn't be hurt. It was when you couldn't take it anymore and let go then it was like snap and the arc would fly into your fingers. He also taught us how to build an Electric Chair with a car battery. I'm pretty sure he was nuts and drunk at that point. He made it very clear that you needed Amperage and not Voltage to kill someone and that a car battery could easily put out 500 Amps. He was a trip and actually put it on paper and made copies for anyone who wanted to try to build one.
On a sub note you guys would be surprised at how many teachers at MacArthur and PW were alcoholics. This was something I learned from the 80's into the early '90s by running into them at bars or in one case having one of them show up at my friends sisters house Smashed looking for his sister. Yes, in 1989 I had a few beers with my 7-8th grade Gym teacher from 10 years before. It was freaky. I later found out that our 8th grade science teacher was a degenerate Gambler. You know someone who used to throw an aluminum bar in your general direction if you weren't paying attention? He used to be on a plane to Vegas two days after summer break started with his girlfriend. These were the people who taught us. It's a wonder we are somewhat normal people.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#327 Mar 24, 2013
Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even live in this area at all? It is going to Hell because of stupid decisions by Government people who have been elected to sell us out for their own benefit.Our parents worked ever so hard to bring us up in a better environment than live in the city of Chicago after WWII with all of the White Hillbilly & Black Gang Problems.These Government idiots have decided that they would rather sell us out than try to preserve our way of life around here than get sued by the Feds for the so called descrimination!Wake up And Smell the Coffee Nucklehead!!
You have much of the history of the destruction correct, but we should be able to fine tune it some......Unless shown otherwise, i would blame the feds for disasterous social engineering.....in the last 30-40 years, as the federal public housing was being destroyed by it's minority occupants....it was decided, those vacant lands were too valuable to rebuild low-income housing.....IT WOULD BE BETTER AND LESS UPKEEP......to hand out Section 8 housing assistance and slowly move the ghetto into the suburbs......The good people, that did everything correctly....GOT F*CKED WITH THEIR OWN TAX DOLLARS..........
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#328 Mar 24, 2013
Wow,now were are really all speaking the truth about the downfall of the Hillside Shopping Center & the Berkeley & Bellwood areas that we grew up in! Westchester is next.The minorities have moved into that town using Bellwood Ave.& Westchester Blvd.Butterfield & St Charles Roads were their to way move in on us West & achieve to their goal of ruining the towns that we once cherished & grew up in & take it over for themselves.But do not forget the Eisenhower Expessway itself which was really was a big mistake to build itself.There has been nothing but noise & air pollution & all of the bother it has created around here since.Who cares about the convenience when Minorities ruin your cities just like Detroit? There went the Chicago,Aurora & Elgin & the Chicago Great Western Railroads through the western suburbs of Chicago along with all of the lost jobs & industry around here.All of the planning the Feds have done to improve this area have basically destroyed it!

Oak Brook, IL

#329 Mar 24, 2013
Don't forget about Hillside. Like I said before, after they redistricted PW 209 because the perception was that PW was for whites only and PE was for blacks, I went to a different school then you guys. 1980 saw a dramatic difference in the racial makeup of PW. 10 years later it was out of control. Now 33 years later it is worse then Proviso East ever was. I moved in 1995 because I could see what was happening. A community where most people didn't even lock their doors became not only will I lock my doors but I will put on deadbolts. You cleaned out your garage because you always parked outside but now it was time to put the car in the garage. The destruction of the projects meant that HUD and the FHA had to put these people somewhere else. That was accomplished by handing out Sect 8 vouchers and coming down hard on anybody who wouldn't accept them. Every apartment building spreading west became a mini project. I have some other news for you. It is everywhere. Westmont has two subdivisions when you drive from the north on Midwest Road which becomes Cass Ave. The first one is a ghetto. Right next to Oak Brook. It is called Brook Hill Apartment Homes and is all Sect. 8. I drive down Cass Ave everyday and have never seen so many out of State plates turn into a place. I think it is like a New Jack City setup. It is ruled by the Gangster Disciples. They constantly tag graffiti all over the fence and sign of the subdivision next to it. That one is called Indian Trails and before the market fell out,those townhomes went for $500,000+. Now you pick one up for around $200,000 because those people want out of there. It's a disgrace and Westmont does nothing. There really isn't anything they could do about the "ghetto" as we call it because everyone who lives there would cry discrimination. It has been brought up at Village meetings and they promise more Police. BS. It is a shame that you come around the turn from Oak Brook and see a welcome to Westmont sign. Then the two ghetto entrances and then a fence with graffiti with beautiful townhomes. This last Friday night was a spectacular display of tagging. They do this even though here is an office building and retirement home across the street and they have cameras up the wazoo. It is usually cleaned up immediately, but this is the first winter this has happened. You cannot repaint a fence when the temps are this cold. The same thing is going on in the south part of Westmont but that is the Latin Kings. Basically you have two apartment complexes causing 95% of the trouble in the town. Most of us are like burn them down. I mean I sound racist. I'm not but these people are destroying property values and making my town look like a slum. These are not kids or Gangbanger wannabes. These are Gangs that have taken over entire complexes just like a housing project. I move west and it still spreads. They drive nice cars and have no jobs. They actually fit right in with traffic around here. The problem is the money comes from selling dope. Then they get all high and walk around spray painting their turf. It's just two apartment complexes and my taxes subsidize this.
"Overlooking the majestic Oak Brook Hills Marriott Resort and Golf Course, Brook Hill Apartments and Town homes provides the lifestyle you’re looking for in a truly great neighborhood." Yeah right! Drive through there on a hot summer night and buy some crack. Whoever wrote that advertisement is on crack. So what does this mean for me? I'm moving again to get away from it. I'm not paying the silly property taxes that I do to send gangbangers kids to school and have my town look like a ghetto. By they way does anybody else have trouble posting with IE10? I have to submit a post 2 or times before it takes. Most of the time I get redirected to something else after I hit Post Comment.

Location hidden

#330 Mar 25, 2013
Look at Park Forest....Hell, Park Forest won awards for suburban planing, book's were written about it's excellence in town design.....My family lucked out in moving to Michigan, summer of 1970....missing much of the incoming blight...Extra sad for the hard working parents, that did all the right things, yet still got screwed by their own government, and with their own tax money.....

Oak Brook, IL

#331 Mar 28, 2013
Hey they painted he fence yesterday so it looks alright now until next weekend. The warmer it gets out, the higher the crime rate. So when you drive down Midwest Road into Westmont you will not see it. The best part is where do you think the money for fixing up what is painted and vandalized comes from? The Indian Trails HOA. These people pay taxes and a monthly HOA assessment to pay for the wonderful Section 8 people in Brook Hill. Yet if you look it up the people who lived there moan about how bad the management treated them. They make no mention that they pay their rent with Section 8 vouchers. Social engineering and Section 8, you have to love it. This ghettos Northern property line actually straddles Oak Brook. You have to love Westmont. A Hinsdale wanna be. They proposed a $1000 charge for the Fire Dept. to put your burning house out. I pay taxes for that and Police plus their retirement funds. All of the property owners in Westmont do. Where is that money going? I can't wait for the next village meeting, it should be up for grabs. The last one, when nobody was there is when they proposed all of these incidental fees. The next one will be I got shot, how much for the police to chase down the person who shot me? Hell,the ambulance ride to the hospital will cost $650 and I pay taxes for that. Basically it is everywhere, the only thing that keeps it in check is the very high property taxes. Apartment complexes on the other hand are where all of your Section 8 is out this way. What does this have to do with the Hillside mall? Everything. You can't discriminate against these fine upstanding citizens if you are a landlord. The management company that runs Brook Hill knows this so they actively market to Section 8. Westmont Median detached house value $396,682. That's what I'm pretty much taxed at and pay homeowner insurance at. In reality my house is worth much less in this market. I'm moving because this is one messed up town. I tell you what, I won't pay the $1000 to have my burning house put out. Let it burn to the ground. Then Allstate can cut me a check for $500,000.$400,000 for my house and $100,000 for my possessions. Anybody want to buy a vacant lot cheap? You will be surrounded by
$400,000 houses. It all starts in the apartments folks. Willowbrook and Darien have some fine new ghettos of their own. We pay for this with our hard earned money through taxes. It was the same in Hillside before I moved and it begins again.

Oak Brook, IL

#332 Apr 1, 2013
12 days ago someone challenged me to file a Freedom Of information Act at the Hillside PD. I did not have to do this because yesterday I ran into one of my friends who is a Hillside Cop. He CONFIRMED what the salesman said. After an incident happens at CarMax they change their rules for test drives for a while. He no longer wants to be a Hillside cop. He did not sign up for basically working in Chicago. He was like you pull someone over and you really never know. That is why they at night try and get at least two or more squad cars there before they walk up to the car. He let me on something that everyone on this board should find interesting. The closing of Menards and the ultimate end of The Hillside Shopping Center. The Menards evidently did OK business. Enough to stay open. Then last year some of their fine employees staged an inside job. They stole in in the middle of the night. They stole a lot. 7 figures worth of merchandise. The biggest heist in Menards history. They have over 270 stores and some of them are in very bad neighborhoods. There is a Menards in Gary Indiana. They are one of the largest privately held companies in America. When John Menard Jr. found out what happened in Hillside he flipped. They pretty much know who was in on it but they don't have enough proof to get convictions. He said CLOSE that store. He is known for treating his employees well and if ask at most Menards you will hear nothing but praise about him. He was so disgusted that his employees would steal from him he said close it and let everyone go. I guess moving the Police Station was more of a bad idea then I have stated before. That is what caused the closing of the Hillside Menards and really ultimately the last thing that was left of The Hillside Shopping Center. I bet most of you did not now that. That was deathblow to our Shopping Center.

Oak Brook, IL

#333 Apr 1, 2013
"That was THE deathblow to our Shopping Center." I'm typing too fast.
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#334 Apr 17, 2013
Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi everyone,The Variety Store at the southwest corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads was known the Bellwood Variety Store,we had to buy our Proviso West Gym Class Clothes there during the 1970's.My late Father also purchased some Chicago Blackhawk's uniform items there such as jersey's and other items for me as a young teenager during the early 1970's when Bobby Hull & the rest of the Hawks used to live in this area when things were good. There was also Enid'S Drug Store On the corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads.A small Burney Brother's Bakery Store was also located on the East side of that small strip mall shop facing Mannheim Road,I can still remember seeing a Wedding Cake in the window when I was a Kid.During the 1960's Enid's Drug Store was the only place you could take your Kodak Photographic Snapshot Film to be sent out for development in this area,it took over 2 weeks to get it returned to you just for black & white photos to be developed! What the Hell has gone wrong with this picture? It is far beyond a Kodachome Photo of this area that I fondly remember!
The variety store at the southwest corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads was Tri-Town Drugs. The Bellwood Variety Store was just a door or two west on St. Charles. I remember Bellwood Variety had all those wooden bins filled with toys.
pete

Kalispell, MT

#335 May 3, 2013
i use to work at the woolworth store in 60's at the time i thought thier had to be something better to do but looking back it was probably one of the most fun jobs i ever had. every day was different every saturday we sold ice cream sandwiches for .09 each and they flew out of there. the lunch counter was geat first time i ever had an apple dumpling. it was a great shopping center always busy and exciting always something going on. i can't believe it has diminished is there any one still around that use to work at woolworths lets hear from you
Hillside elementary

Hanover, Canada

#336 May 11, 2013
After reviewing 5 years of hillside posts, these items were the best:

The six o'clock whistle from the cop shop

The elm roller rink and the twin ice forum

The shopping center caramel corn taste and aroma

The hillside theater (the song remains the same) and bowling alley (we bought Kools from the machine in 6th grade, smoked them til we puked in the cemetary)

The monkey and goldblatts in general...yes they sold Christmas trees

Other memories, the shoe cobbler in the SC and the aromatic solvents he used (heavenly mixed with the caramel corn)

Baseball at S & H field and at the sem

Lived on ashbel (spelled ashbell at one end and ashbel at the other) from 64 to 77...parents thought it best to be moving on as integration of PW and PE was not going well...many an ass kicking was being issued to both parties. Me thinks they were correct in their assessment...but what a fine place in which to grow up in the late sixties and early seventies.
jimmyguitar

Germantown, TN

#337 May 12, 2013
Hillside elementary wrote:
After reviewing 5 years of hillside posts, these items were the best:
The six o'clock whistle from the cop shop
The elm roller rink and the twin ice forum
The shopping center caramel corn taste and aroma
The hillside theater (the song remains the same) and bowling alley (we bought Kools from the machine in 6th grade, smoked them til we puked in the cemetary)
The monkey and goldblatts in general...yes they sold Christmas trees
Other memories, the shoe cobbler in the SC and the aromatic solvents he used (heavenly mixed with the caramel corn)
Baseball at S & H field and at the sem
Lived on ashbel (spelled ashbell at one end and ashbel at the other) from 64 to 77...parents thought it best to be moving on as integration of PW and PE was not going well...many an ass kicking was being issued to both parties. Me thinks they were correct in their assessment...but what a fine place in which to grow up in the late sixties and early seventies.
Which part of Ashbell did you live on? North of the freeway or South? I lived on Howard (south, near Harrison St.) from 55 - 73.
Hillside elementary

Hanover, Canada

#338 May 12, 2013
jimmyguitar wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part of Ashbell did you live on? North of the freeway or South? I lived on Howard (south, near Harrison St.) from 55 - 73.
South of Ike expressway, 33 ashbel near Harrison. My best bud lived on Howard.
Hillside elementary

Hanover, Canada

#339 May 12, 2013
<quoted text>
South of Ike expressway, 33 ashbel near Harrison. My best bud lived on Howard.
64-77, this forum cracked me up...amazing how folks remember similar things.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#340 May 12, 2013
How many remember Stricklands and Kroger?
jimmyguitar

Germantown, TN

#341 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
64-77, this forum cracked me up...amazing how folks remember similar things.
HaHa.... I lived at 42 Howard.... our backyards almost touched. Small world! I probably was your paperboy if your family subscribed to the Proviso Herald! Married a girl who lived down the street from you.

Location hidden

#342 May 13, 2013
Back in the 70-80's Jewell was the biggest grocery chain in Chicagoland, by miles.....what happened to them?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#343 May 13, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Back in the 70-80's Jewell was the biggest grocery chain in Chicagoland, by miles.....what happened to them?
Got to big for their britches
Hillside Cop

Mokena, IL

#344 May 16, 2013
High on a Hillside wrote:
12 days ago someone challenged me to file a Freedom Of information Act at the Hillside PD. I did not have to do this because yesterday I ran into one of my friends who is a Hillside Cop. He CONFIRMED what the salesman said. After an incident happens at CarMax they change their rules for test drives for a while. He no longer wants to be a Hillside cop. He did not sign up for basically working in Chicago. He was like you pull someone over and you really never know. That is why they at night try and get at least two or more squad cars there before they walk up to the car. He let me on something that everyone on this board should find interesting. The closing of Menards and the ultimate end of The Hillside Shopping Center. The Menards evidently did OK business. Enough to stay open. Then last year some of their fine employees staged an inside job. They stole in in the middle of the night. They stole a lot. 7 figures worth of merchandise. The biggest heist in Menards history. They have over 270 stores and some of them are in very bad neighborhoods. There is a Menards in Gary Indiana. They are one of the largest privately held companies in America. When John Menard Jr. found out what happened in Hillside he flipped. They pretty much know who was in on it but they don't have enough proof to get convictions. He said CLOSE that store. He is known for treating his employees well and if ask at most Menards you will hear nothing but praise about him. He was so disgusted that his employees would steal from him he said close it and let everyone go. I guess moving the Police Station was more of a bad idea then I have stated before. That is what caused the closing of the Hillside Menards and really ultimately the last thing that was left of The Hillside Shopping Center. I bet most of you did not now that. That was deathblow to our Shopping Center.
I work for the Hillside Police and dont know who your alleged friend is but if he does actually work for Hillside he needs to check his facts. I have worked here since before CarMax opened and they have never had any guns pulled on their salesman or cars stolen during test drives.

Thats a good story on why the Menards closed, but again never happened. There are no police reports of "the biggest heist in Menards history". Don't you think that if people stole "7 figures" worth of merchandise that someone would have done a police report and wanted people to go to jail. The store closed because of poor sales and location, I know thats boring but thats why it closed.
Richard Reed

Dunlap, TN

#345 May 16, 2013
Dave wrote:
You're right, now that you mention it, it was Tally Ho. You have a good memory.
It sure was I used to skip gym class at Proviso West 1st period and have coffee there every morning those were the good old days I used to buy my load Bell bottoms at Uncle Sams I also went to St Simeons grade school and lived and grew up in Bellwood good memories!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harwood Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cicero child rapist Patrick Bruno 11 hr shawna bruno 1
Salvi still selling cocaine out of in-laws in W... 17 hr God 4
bond forfeiture Greg Salvi 19 hr WILDBILL 11
Home Rule 19 hr Owner of the sign 22
News Mayors give south suburbs a strong voice on tol... Fri with 2
News Comcast in Elmhurst Hiring 200 Employees for Ne... Thu Joe 1
News Shoe Thief Arrested from Hospital for Car Burgl... Thu Joe 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harwood Heights Mortgages