Making A Powerful Pledge

Full story: Hartford Courant

More Towns Joining Clean Energy Program May 4, 2007 By JOEL LANG And REGINE LABOSSIERE , Courant Staff Writers Bloomfield and Branford.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated May 4, 2007
Pete

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Why do I feel like this is going to cost me the tax payer more money?
larry Fine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

you feel likes its gonna cost the tax paper. your 100 percent correct, what a joke
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

What doesn't cost the taxpayer? The private sector, as usual, is left picking up the pieces.
CT Yank

Burlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Just another expensive con job.
pauls

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

you guys should also complain about the catalytic converter on your car - doesn't that also cost you $?
Jon

Monomoy Island, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

The only added cost is to those that want to pay the premium. There is no other cost to the consumer involved. But Mayors like Scott Slifka and others are demonstratin their understanding that we need to create a market for clean energy for all of us today and all of our children tomorrow.

Let's Make More!
Mike from Hartford

Salem, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Clean Energy is like 2 cents more for each killowatt you use. You choose it. No one makes you do it. But you get a cleaner planet and we arent dependent on forign oil. I do it because I WANT to do it and I am fighting global warming.
Kato

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Have you considered how much it is going to cost you going forward if your town keeps getting it's energy from traditional fuel sources? The costs of fossil fuels are not going down.
Jon

Monomoy Island, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

To show that this is a cool program, I just found out that almost 13,000 Connecticut households are supporting clean energy. The question really is, "why wouldn't anyone who lives in a 20% by 2010 town like West Hartford sign up for clean energy?" It is certainly worth the equivalent of coffee and a dougnut twice a month. Everyone should go to www.ctcleanenergyoptions.com and sign up now!
Matt from CT

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

20% 2010 is kind of a modest goal.

We could, easily, be 80% 2020 realistically -- and that would have a dramatic impact on oil prices and international politics.

Of course it would require us to get over the left's silly fears of Nuclear energy.

The public wouldn't tolerate the ten thousand or more 300' windmills it would take in CT to achieve a goal such as that; hydropower has larger impacts on the environment; solar power remains too expensive at $75k for an average CT home. All three have downsides of needing a system to store power for when the wind, rain, or sun isn't cooperating -- batteries take heavy metals; stored air as nice as it sounds is horribly inefficient due to thermal loss in compressing/releasing stored gases. Biofuels would require we wipe the forests clean and turn them all into grass farmlands -- something also far too much of environmental impact.

While there is a place for wind, hydro, solar, and bio...

The solution to problems -- the definite problems of a global economy and politics controlled by low priced oil (and the impact on volatile prices of the middle east), as well as the possible problems of Global Warming (something I remain skeptical of the "scientific consensus" given the history of such consensus on eugenics, pesticides, the population explosion, and the new ice age in the past...)-- is nuclear.

Start building them every where there is already a licensed nuclear plant...or fossil fueled plant.

Oh wait...that's a logical thing to do.

I'm sorry, we're talking "Global Warming" and that's an emotional / political issue isn't it. Damn, I guess we can't actually talk logic then...
Digger

Darien, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Clean energy, my foot! This is just another attempt by the government to take us for a ride!
Matt from CT

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

>Have you considered how much it is
>going to cost you going forward if
>your town keeps getting it's energy
>from traditional fuel sources? The
>costs of fossil fuels are not going
>down.

Almost nothing more.

Sure, maybe one year Gas is cheaper then Oil for heat. Sometimes Electricity will be cheapest.

But folks...the "Green Energy" companies ain't in it for the good of their hearts. They are there to turn the maximum profit they can.

Except for cases of building your own infrastructure (windmills, solar panels, etc) and assuming the risks involved...you're buying the power.

Today the Greens charge a premium.

If tomorrow Oil becomes more expensive, over the course of years, I guarantee you the Greens won't keep the price down out of the goodness of their hearts -- they'll raise their prices to match what "conventional" sources of energy charge.

Energy markets are extremely fungible and the price-per-BTU will never be divergent between sources for more than a year or two at a time while the market adjusts.
Amanda

Linden, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

I'm agreeing (mostly with Matt). If we're really serious about curbing global warming and ending our dependency on foreign oil, we should be doing a lot better than 20% renewables as a goal. How about 80% by 2012?
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Matt from CT wrote:
20% 2010 is kind of a modest goal.
We could, easily, be 80% 2020 realistically -- and that would have a dramatic impact on oil prices and international politics.
Of course it would require us to get over the left's silly fears of Nuclear energy.
The public wouldn't tolerate the ten thousand or more 300' windmills it would take in CT to achieve a goal such as that; hydropower has larger impacts on the environment; solar power remains too expensive at $75k for an average CT home. All three have downsides of needing a system to store power for when the wind, rain, or sun isn't cooperating -- batteries take heavy metals; stored air as nice as it sounds is horribly inefficient due to thermal loss in compressing/releasing stored gases. Biofuels would require we wipe the forests clean and turn them all into grass farmlands -- something also far too much of environmental impact.
While there is a place for wind, hydro, solar, and bio...
The solution to problems -- the definite problems of a global economy and politics controlled by low priced oil (and the impact on volatile prices of the middle east), as well as the possible problems of Global Warming (something I remain skeptical of the "scientific consensus" given the history of such consensus on eugenics, pesticides, the population explosion, and the new ice age in the past...)-- is nuclear.
Start building them every where there is already a licensed nuclear plant...or fossil fueled plant.
Oh wait...that's a logical thing to do.
I'm sorry, we're talking "Global Warming" and that's an emotional / political issue isn't it. Damn, I guess we can't actually talk logic then...
Realistically??? Are you kidding??? 20% is hardly modest, and 30% is a far reach. You might want to check with an energy consultant first.

As for the rest of it, I'm speechless. Where did you get this?? Please, oh please cite your sources! Talk about a load of crap!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Harwinton Discussions

Search the Harwinton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Torrington Barber Shops Jun '14 sentral skrutinizer 2
RE/MAX Welcomes Two New Offices to Mississauga,... Jun '14 Halton South 1
Looking for Tyler Clayton Desaulniers parents (Nov '13) Jun '14 John doe 4
Last-minute battle for tax relief in Stratford May '14 Amazing Carnak 3
why? May '14 Toni 1
Give Local Challenge May '14 Greenwoods Counseling 1
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 America Gentleman Samuel 780
•••
•••
•••
•••

Harwinton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Harwinton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••