Rell School Plan Faces Opposition

Rell School Plan Faces Opposition

There are 22 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 20, 2007, titled Rell School Plan Faces Opposition. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Governor Would Make Construction Cost-Sharing Formula Less Generous February 20, 2007 By DON STACOM , Courant Staff Writer Middletown is cashing in on an enticing offer from the state: The city pays about $40 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Think About It

Portland, CT

#1 Feb 20, 2007
Rell's plan is just no good.
Early Childhood Adv

Hartford, CT

#2 Feb 20, 2007
Aren't we building any more jails? Why not? Education doesn't work if people don't want to get educated and get out of gangs...so why build them? Bring on those jails...at least we will know where the bad guys are. How much do you think the War on drugs costs? Tons...How much do you think it costs to have people go through rehab, if they live through it? Mucho mula...How much do you think it costs to treat/cure disease? If at all possible...there is no end. How much do you think it costs hospitals to remain open? I don't know ask California, 84 of theirs closed and don't forget patient dumping on skid row. How much do you think gets written off by physicians because their patients claims weren't paid because of fake id's? Should we even touch that one? Or claims denied becuse people don't know what they are doing and pass the filing limits? Ask teh accountants. How much do you think it costs to JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS? NOTHING!

REMEMBER, TO JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS,OUR OTHER WAR!!!
Lone Taxpayer

East Hartford, CT

#4 Feb 20, 2007
"At the same time that she wants to roll back the reimbursement formula, though, she's also proposing to cap the total aid payouts at $300 million a year - less than half of what's being spent now. "
GREAT! Then why does she need to increase the income tax?
shrublite

Hartford, CT

#5 Feb 20, 2007
look...school construction has been out of control for years, but never more so than in Easthaven and New Haven. Easthaven has a mall atrium and about the same size as an entrance way to their performing arts hall and field house. New Haven is spending an astonishing 1.5 billion on new schools complete with custom limestone, ironwork, and skywalks so the kids don't have to walk outside across a street. That skywalk is not just a walkway...it's an enclosed skywalk, with a building at the bottom of it. I'm sure it cost at least a million, probably more...In Oxford, the brain trust school board spent $1 million on a stone wall lining the driveway to the school.

What the frig are the nutcases thinking? It's time for school consolidation -- by county. Lose the superintendents, assist supers, corriculum people and all the rest of duplication that plagues our system.

It's time for a Taxpayer's Bill of Rights!
Adam Colchester

Newington, CT

#6 Feb 21, 2007
Hey Dan,
Maybe your company could save some money by reducing the pay for your position by 50%. But, then of course you would leave, and they wouldn't be able to attract an equivalent replacement. Furthermore, you probably don't know anything about the responsibilities of being a principal or superindentent. And should we eliminate Bill Gates as the Chairman of Microsoft because he doesn't have daily interaction with computer programming? I think you need to look at the big picture...
Daniel K wrote:
The STATE needs to get out of financing TOWN schools. If the Town can't afford new schools, first thing the town should do is cut unnecessary costs such as giving a superintendent $150,000 a year and an assistant superintendent $125,000 a year. That is close to $300k a year the town just saved and over 10 years that would be $3 Million the town would save just by cutting back on 2 positions. Those superintendents usually have secretaries and large offices in their own building and pile on loads of other costs. The roles of superintendent and assistant superintendent are not necessary for the majority of communities. The elected Board Of Education should be hiring a Principal for each school to manage the daily workings and hiring of employees in that school. Most students only interact with the town's superintendent once during their entire schooling experience, usually at graduation when the student walks across the stage to pick up the diploma the Superintendent will be standing their handing out the diploma. For most students, that will be their first and last glimpse of the superintendent.
State Constitution needs to be changed so the State is not responsible for the funding of schools. The judicial branch of non-elected members should also be removed from determing how education money is being spent. If you can get the corrupt teachers' unions and activist judges and overpaid superintendents out of the school system; and just let the town residents elect a Board of Ed and let that Board of Ed directly hire and fire principals and teachers, the cost of schooling and building schools would plummet and citizens would have a lot more influence over their local school. It would be a plus for everyone (except for the corrupt teachers' unions where the union bosses sit on leather chairs all day long and the overpaid school superintendents sitting on leather chairs that have next to no interaction with students).
Funding Education

Manchester, CT

#7 Feb 22, 2007
There are state standards for square footage for school buildings. There should be state standards for certified staff ratios to students and state negotiation of salaries jointly for all districts. These are the two largest expenses for school districts. I suggest that state government fund both based on a formula taking into account the incomes of families and businesses in each school district. State government must also repeal all mandates that do not apply to safety and proficiency achievement for all students. School districts need to work together to reduce administrative costs and school supplies/equipment. Voters need to be more active and informed. Elected leaders must recognize what the voters can afford or are willing to spend on school functions and extra curricular activities.
Susan Holmes
Manchester, CT
Funding Education

Manchester, CT

#8 Feb 22, 2007
Additionally, parents need to be held responsible for preparing children for formal schooling and ensuring a home environment conducive to learning.

Manchester, CT
No Sympathy

Portland, CT

#9 Feb 22, 2007
The State of Connecticut is Bankrupt and will keep raising taxes..There is no growth except in Stae, Federal and Town Employees. With Full HealthBenefits and Pensions.
shrublite

Waterbury, CT

#10 Feb 23, 2007
Adam: We should look at the big picture??? What exactly does that mean? The big picture scares the hell out of me. Each town is like a kingdom. Every town, no matter how small has its own super, assist super, curriculum, etc...Several towns in the Valley could have built one combined high school -- do you think they did that? No, so they built a school with a million dollar driveway..New Haven built a multi million dollar skywalk..what big picture are you talking about? Why don't you look at the big picture -- growth limited to state jobs with full benefits. They are the only ones with full pensions...Amazing.
It Is Coming Bigtime

Portland, CT

#11 Feb 23, 2007
The Town of Milford, a few years back, tried to selltle a contract with the the local teacher's union. It went to court and the CT Judge ruled in favor of the teachers, say the town had the resources..MEANING--You can raise Taxes....Yes--CT Taxpaers--You are gonna get it and get it HARD from Jodi Rell and the State and Teacher's Unions and throw in the Police and Fire. Unions..
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Brewster, NY

#12 Feb 23, 2007
Shrublight, don't waste your breath. It's just union stooge rhetoric.
Jerome Horwitz

United States

#13 Feb 23, 2007
Konnecticut_Better_Yet wrote:
Shrublight, don't waste your breath. It's just union stooge rhetoric.
"just... stooge rhetoric" Coming from a guy who calls himself "Konnecticut_Better_Yet " Man that is just too precious. The question is are you being deliberately ironic, or are you blinded by your own rhetorical excesses? Well, in either case, you've got the stooge act down pat. Say, you don't work for Dewey Cheatum & Howe do you?

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!
corky

Madison, CT

#14 Feb 23, 2007
It,s time to get out of Ct. My retirement is not enough for here - but it is plenty elsewhere.
Rick Bornemann

Owings Mills, MD

#15 Feb 24, 2007
Please send the RINO Rell back home to the garden club and other genteel pursuits.

In wanting to raise the income tax, she stabbed her supporters in the back in much the same way as Governor Weicker did.

Recall his declaring during his successful 1990 campaign that impsosing an income tax (while Connecticut was in recession) was akin to "pouring gasoline on a fire."
That led reasonable people to believe that an income tax, while not off-the-table forever, wouldn't be Weicker's immediate Number One priority.

It was.

Weicker and Rell differ only in style. His egomania led to his creating (with Lt. Gov. Eunice Groark) the two-memer A Connecticut Party. Rell prefers to pretend to stay a Republican.

Either way, Weicker and his heir are too pure and important to consider the constitencies that elected them. They're so above all that stuff.

She's just nicer about it.

Connecticut has never really recovered from the imposition of the income tax. We continue to lose population and manufacturing jobs to other states.

Let's all thank Mrs. Rell for continuing an honored traditon at Connecticut's expense.
Fedupctyankee

East Hartford, CT

#16 Feb 24, 2007
Paula Schwartz, Superintendent of the Burlington-Harwinton (Region 10) forced our budget to a referendum 5 times last year. She was given a 9% raise and struts about town saying that she is the equivalent to a CEO of a 30 million dollar corporation. Since Region 10 has scarcely 3,000 students, her current $31 million budget is a travesty!(That is without the school building addition). Notice that she said without state aid she would have had to scale back the project. What would she have cut out? Perhaps the new slushie machine in the cafeteria?
Not true pal

United States

#17 Feb 24, 2007
No Sympathy wrote:
The State of Connecticut is Bankrupt and will keep raising taxes..There is no growth except in Stae, Federal and Town Employees. With Full HealthBenefits and Pensions.
If you have been a state employee for 25, or more,, you are probably tier 1,, they have it made. They can retire in their late 40's... If you are tier 1,, then you pay nothing in, but the plan isn't as good as tier 1.. If you are in tier 2a... then you had better plan on working till your dead, and you have to pay into the retirement.. All employees with 12 years or less are tier 2a,,, it ins't looking good.

Now,, the important thing to remember,, nobody holds state employees responsible.. I84 Drainage,,, DCF screw ups giving kids to abusive parents, etc..etc.. Do you see anyone getting fired for these bungles??
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Brewster, NY

#18 Feb 25, 2007
Jerome Horwitz wrote:
<quoted text>
"just... stooge rhetoric" Coming from a guy who calls himself "Konnecticut_Better_Yet " Man that is just too precious. The question is are you being deliberately ironic, or are you blinded by your own rhetorical excesses? Well, in either case, you've got the stooge act down pat. Say, you don't work for Dewey Cheatum & Howe do you?
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!
Ah, must have touched a nerve! The response of the desprate.

Since: Feb 07

Rocky Hill, CT

#19 Feb 25, 2007
Not true pal wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have been a state employee for 25, or more,, you are probably tier 1,, they have it made. They can retire in their late 40's... If you are tier 1,, then you pay nothing in, but the plan isn't as good as tier 1.. If you are in tier 2a... then you had better plan on working till your dead, and you have to pay into the retirement.. All employees with 12 years or less are tier 2a,,, it ins't looking good.
Now,, the important thing to remember,, nobody holds state employees responsible.. I84 Drainage,,, DCF screw ups giving kids to abusive parents, etc..etc.. Do you see anyone getting fired for these bungles??
Small correction to your rant: its tier 2, not tier 1 twice. And judging by the content of your rant (which the average person in CT would have not the faintest clue about state retirement plans) you're giving, you sound like either a current disgruntled state worker or a former disgruntled state worker.
Jennifer

Newington, CT

#20 Mar 7, 2007
Not true pal wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they should be held accountable and fired. But please, I've about had it with the "poor me" attitude of most state workers. You have it made, even in the lowest of tiers, compared to the rest of us. I don't even have a retirement plan where I work and healthcare costs for myself and spouse are over $300 per month for a substandard plan. Not bad for a couple of college graduates who made the mistake of wanting to be close to family and not leave this ridiculous state.

Since: Feb 07

Rocky Hill, CT

#21 Mar 7, 2007
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they should be held accountable and fired. But please, I've about had it with the "poor me" attitude of most state workers. You have it made, even in the lowest of tiers, compared to the rest of us. I don't even have a retirement plan where I work and healthcare costs for myself and spouse are over $300 per month for a substandard plan. Not bad for a couple of college graduates who made the mistake of wanting to be close to family and not leave this ridiculous state.
I see you have had bad experiences with state employees in your line of work?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harwinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
horny chat (Apr '10) Apr '15 Tru confession guy 19
Debate: Gay Marriage - Torrington, CT (Aug '10) Apr '15 anonymous 5
News MySpace In Sex Assault Probe (Feb '06) Apr '15 spen 424
Review: Smile Center - Ralph J Bozza DDS (May '10) Apr '15 William 7
News Torrington parents demand action on race relations (Mar '10) Feb '15 Semipreppy 7
Topless women weekend Jan '15 Ladonna C 1
News Sessions Woods In Burlington Has It All For Nat... (Oct '08) Jan '15 Billd 6
More from around the web

Harwinton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]