Murders Soar in New Orleans Suburb

Murders Soar in New Orleans Suburb

There are 31 comments on the The Associated Press story from Aug 15, 2006, titled Murders Soar in New Orleans Suburb . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Murders are up more than 50 percent this year in suburban New Orleans' Jefferson Parish, and the sheriff blames drug dealers who have set up operations here after being driven out of the big city by Hurricane ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lionel ellis

Springfield, IL

#22 Nov 14, 2006
I would like information about a beating death that occurred in one of your new orleans complexes on or about november 12th or 13th. a yong black man from texas down in your city on business was beaten to death. his name was david wesley.
lionel ellis

Springfield, IL

#23 Nov 14, 2006
was that an inappropriate question?
rexdeus

Mobile, AL

#24 Nov 17, 2006
Wayne ISP location: Webster, NY - It been not like that for 15 years N.O. been one of an American City that been aways like that it was aways an place for the sub-culture one of the first city in America.

First of all, nice grammar. Second, believe it or not, New Orleans was actually larger and more powerful than New York City until the turn of the century (20th). The culture created by the city itself has contributed dramatically to the country. If you are inclined to check it out, the Napoleanic code, the basis for law in Louisiana, was adopted by none other than the NEW YORK BAR ASSOCIATION as the tenets for codified law in YOUR state. Third, like everywhere in the country, there are people of ALL races that are hard-working, educated and responsible for themselves, their children and their property. Unfortunately, in New Orleans, since the oil bust of the early 1980s there has been a gradual decline in commerce and thus in a tax base to support adequate infrastructure development. This has led to sub-standard education and exacerbated the problems of the lower class of all races. I would also remind you that it wasn't all that long ago that New Orleans was predominantly caucasian and had significant amounts of the population that were poor. The difference was at that time many people didn't resort to violence or drugs as "quick fixes" to their problems. The solution is long term, just like the problem has been.
Ana

Dillon, SC

#25 Nov 22, 2006
rexdeus wrote:
Wayne ISP location: Webster, NY - It been not like that for 15 years N.O. been one of an American City that been aways like that it was aways an place for the sub-culture one of the first city in America.
First of all, nice grammar. Second, believe it or not, New Orleans was actually larger and more powerful than New York City until the turn of the century (20th). The culture created by the city itself has contributed dramatically to the country. If you are inclined to check it out, the Napoleanic code, the basis for law in Louisiana, was adopted by none other than the NEW YORK BAR ASSOCIATION as the tenets for codified law in YOUR state. Third, like everywhere in the country, there are people of ALL races that are hard-working, educated and responsible for themselves, their children and their property. Unfortunately, in New Orleans, since the oil bust of the early 1980s there has been a gradual decline in commerce and thus in a tax base to support adequate infrastructure development. This has led to sub-standard education and exacerbated the problems of the lower class of all races. I would also remind you that it wasn't all that long ago that New Orleans was predominantly caucasian and had significant amounts of the population that were poor. The difference was at that time many people didn't resort to violence or drugs as "quick fixes" to their problems. The solution is long term, just like the problem has been.
I agree with you... but right now the problems we saw mainly in the metropolitan area (thanks to Katrina) it has spread all around.... Most people didn't knew how bad the problem was not because it was a black on black crime or a lower income thing.... we had some of the police lowering the crime rate in the metro area and now is when we are looking at what kind of scum had been plaguing the streets of the metro area... and the worse is that we have politician that do nothing to make things better....they rather get votes than work on making the city a better city...
Ana

Dillon, SC

#26 Nov 22, 2006
lionel ellis wrote:
was that an inappropriate question?
I didnot knew something like that had happen. I hope you get the info you are looking for
Grant

New Orleans, LA

#27 Nov 22, 2006
I have recently ran across this forum and am very pleased to find this discussion. The problem and answer is culture. Some cultures (whites, Asians, etc.) have morals and attributes that advance their people further... evolution. In a globalized society that we are begging to live in, other cultures see this prosperity and begin to wonder why they don't have the same. Now this is the big one! Why? Ignorance becomes the key now. Ignorance is bliss and it is much easier to point the finger and make white people the scapegoat than to accept the truth. Truth often hurts and this one is a whammy. YOU ARE IGNORANT! Doesn't mean that aren't educated. It means that your people are not as evolved as others. Scientists have recently proven that whites and blacks are probably different species. Blacks (on average) have more genetic diseases and disorders. That's a fact, not my opinion. I could write on and on, so let me stop here and wait for a response. Thanks for the educated discussion. P.S. If you misspell words and have poor grammar you may not get a response from me as I don't want to waste my time explaining the world order to you.
Ana

Angie, LA

#28 Nov 30, 2006
Grant wrote:
I have recently ran across this forum and am very pleased to find this discussion. The problem and answer is culture. Some cultures (whites, Asians, etc.) have morals and attributes that advance their people further... evolution. In a globalized society that we are begging to live in, other cultures see this prosperity and begin to wonder why they don't have the same. Now this is the big one! Why? Ignorance becomes the key now. Ignorance is bliss and it is much easier to point the finger and make white people the scapegoat than to accept the truth. Truth often hurts and this one is a whammy. YOU ARE IGNORANT! Doesn't mean that aren't educated. It means that your people are not as evolved as others. Scientists have recently proven that whites and blacks are probably different species. Blacks (on average) have more genetic diseases and disorders. That's a fact, not my opinion. I could write on and on, so let me stop here and wait for a response. Thanks for the educated discussion. P.S. If you misspell words and have poor grammar you may not get a response from me as I don't want to waste my time explaining the world order to you.
I don't believe the violence is a genetic thing..... I do believe is in part a the lack of values with some ignorance combine but not the way you describe it... I will explain why

Values like in every race is something that has been in a sharp decline...you can see this every where some people are more willing to accept this than others... Do you really thing that whites,Chinese etc... values have not change trough the years?

Ignorance not because they are not educated but rather the "we don't have a big problem" or "those are isolated cases" or "we have violence because we are poor" mentality because this only gives excuses for people to accept the wrong...

These components plus the wanting big bucks and power without the work triggers the violence, with the help of people's silence....

This is my opinion I hope that it makes sense to someone so smart like you.
Mwanenchi de Belle Chasse

United States

#29 Nov 30, 2006
Sadie wrote:
I can understand how the people in the suburbs feel, both black and white. I am African American and my family are hard working decent people who live on the West Bank. I have lived out of state for a number of years and I see what is going on. Also I fear for my parents who by the way when we moved to the neighborhood where they have lived for about 30 years in a 95% white neighborhood always had the best kept house and lawn, are now affraid of what I personaly call the cock roaches who have manefested themselves in the surronding areas of La. I say arm yourselves and do what you have to do to keep yours and what's yours safe. Authorities cannot do it.
I grew up on the West Bank and as a teenager was always teased by friends and family from "Across the River" that we lived in the country. Most said they couldn't see how we lived in Belle Chasse and that they could NEVER and would NEVER move to the West Bank. Well it seems like one should ever say never! Crime and everything evil that goes with it seems to have taken over the city and has bubbled out of the pot onto the west bank. Doesn't matter if it's black, white,purple or orange, it is wrong and something needs to be done about it. THAT is what the Army and Air National Guard can be utilized for. To protect the innocent, work hard, trying to put their lives back together citizens of the community. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT's TOO LATE.
P.S. I moved away 15 years ago. If I may say, I don't plan on ever moving back.(Not the same as NEVER)
Mwanenchi

United States

#30 Nov 30, 2006
Ana wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you. you have nail it...
AMEN! 10-4, I agree whole heartedly!!
Doctor Brooks

Detroit, MI

#31 Dec 4, 2006
godsunone wrote:
you crackers kill me! its amazing that the same people who' culture you immulate, you mock and degrade. believe it or not, the same criminal element that you all are afraid of, hard working, conscious black dislike as well. id like to see white people survive in the conditions that we are forced to endure, you wouldnt and you cant, because history proves it. yes...... we have some problems in our community, but you couldnt even begin to understand, beacause they stem from a lot of self hatred that your for-fathers instilled in our people. we have been stripped of our idenity, and knowledge of our greatness that surpassess any other people. what i hear comming from your mouths is clear hate, so if we have hatred and anger in us, consider where we learned it from. the white community, has always been the epi-center, racism, murder and the detruction of all weaker classess, since their beginning.
I am black and these people whom you unfairly called
"crackers and such" are understandably sick and tired of us devolving into something that would be insulting to consider animal. My office was broken into after returning from a game (GSU vs MissVal) by black crack dealers. Just recently some gal who is mishandling her own aunt's finances have stopped paying the medicare supplement insurance and now I am left holding the bag on the copay. She is black. Why can't we get beyond this slave mentalli- ty card we keep playing and just plain catch up with the rest of the world. I feel I am shunned by my own people despite my accomplishments but yet we embrace the worst of us. These ugly rappers and their constant use of the n word. Jackson wants us to boycott the Seinfeld DVD. Give me a break. How about boycotting cds made by blackeyepeas or that Jazee who was constantly in the spotlight on ABC (supposedly a family network) and he was a crack dealer. Crack heads are a burden to the healthcare system and to urban communities. Since tobacco industries are forced to pay into state healthcare programs, maybe thugs (once a thug, always a thug no matter what that Barbara Walters and Rosie ODonnel say) like Jazee should pay for prisons and rehab centers and medicaid funds that go to pay for crack babies and such. N.O. blacks (the bad ones which way outweigh the decent ones) need to just stop the crimes. Heck go over to iraq and kill there and let the decent soldiers come home to be with their families. As for that stupid mayor, blacks were demented in putting this formal cable guy back in office and it seems crime REALLY pick up at that point. Stop the blame game my people, take responsibilities for your actions and for God's sake, stopped embracing the worst of us and learn to acknowlede those of us who are trying to make a difference.
Ana

Angie, LA

#32 Dec 6, 2006
Doctor Brooks wrote:
<quoted text>
I am black and these people whom you unfairly called
"crackers and such" are understandably sick and tired of us devolving into something that would be insulting to consider animal. My office was broken into after returning from a game (GSU vs MissVal) by black crack dealers. Just recently some gal who is mishandling her own aunt's finances have stopped paying the medicare supplement insurance and now I am left holding the bag on the copay. She is black. Why can't we get beyond this slave mentalli- ty card we keep playing and just plain catch up with the rest of the world. I feel I am shunned by my own people despite my accomplishments but yet we embrace the worst of us. These ugly rappers and their constant use of the n word. Jackson wants us to boycott the Seinfeld DVD. Give me a break. How about boycotting cds made by blackeyepeas or that Jazee who was constantly in the spotlight on ABC (supposedly a family network) and he was a crack dealer. Crack heads are a burden to the healthcare system and to urban communities. Since tobacco industries are forced to pay into state healthcare programs, maybe thugs (once a thug, always a thug no matter what that Barbara Walters and Rosie ODonnel say) like Jazee should pay for prisons and rehab centers and medicaid funds that go to pay for crack babies and such. N.O. blacks (the bad ones which way outweigh the decent ones) need to just stop the crimes. Heck go over to iraq and kill there and let the decent soldiers come home to be with their families. As for that stupid mayor, blacks were demented in putting this formal cable guy back in office and it seems crime REALLY pick up at that point. Stop the blame game my people, take responsibilities for your actions and for God's sake, stopped embracing the worst of us and learn to acknowlede those of us who are trying to make a difference.
Man you have said it like it is... is a shame a lot of people would rather play the blaming game that stand up and became useful ....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr winston molineri 20,303
to many mexicans in new orleans (Jun '06) Thu JULIO 185
How Corrupt is the Gretna Police Dept? (May '11) May 22 Sanan 13
michelle a larroquette (Oct '08) May 13 jeannie 14
Comedian and Actor Larry Bourne bringing new hy... May 12 SilverScreenPro 1
HEY COON, wanna fight May 9 Zeke the Pinhead 5
News Marrero woman arrested, accused of sex with 16-... Apr '16 Zeke the Pinhead 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harvey Mortgages