Law drives beer nuts to brew

Law drives beer nuts to brew

There are 43 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 11, 2008, titled Law drives beer nuts to brew. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Two dozen guys are crowded into a basement, talking loudly over Triscuits, when Scott Oberman breaks the law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Vinny

Chicago, IL

#1 Mar 12, 2008
I'm surprised the i-d-i-o-t-s that make up the city council haven't jumped on this band wagon.
Dienne

United States

#2 Mar 12, 2008
"Arguing that alcohol can corrupt body, mind and soul, Alabama's Southern Baptists are fighting to derail the 13.9 percent bill in the Senate."

So fine, alcohol corrupts. If you believe this, then just don't drink - problem solved. Go home and read your scripture while the rest of us go to hell - what concern is it of yours?

The mere thought that in the 21st century we're still even considering banning something based on scripture is so absurd I can barely comprehend it.
T-man

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 12, 2008
Beer is liquid bread; it's good for you.

I agree that teens won't be tempted by the microbrews. The price is one barrier, and their palate is another.
John O

Riverside, IL

#4 Mar 12, 2008
Ummm, Alabama? Were you aware that home-brewing beer and wine are federally-protected activities and legislation restricting them is, well, illegal? Furthermore, the strongest beers in the world are brewed by monks....
Chicagoan

Washington, DC

#5 Mar 12, 2008
I have to imagine they allow wine to be sold. Not uncommon for wine to be 14% alcohol, and extremely rare for it to be under 6%. The law at least ought to give beer even footing with wines, which would cover most beers other than some of the really strong Dogfish Head beers, Sam Adams Utopias, and a few others.

And homebrewing being illegal is just absurd. Many of our founding fathers brewed.
Scott L

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 12, 2008
John O - See the 21st Amendment. I think Alchohol is a state issue.

I enjoy beer, but posting of alchohol content should be requried in some fashion (even in bars), anyone who has drunk Belgium beers for the first time without awareness of how strong they are knows this.
daryl

United States

#7 Mar 12, 2008
Dienne wrote:
"Arguing that alcohol can corrupt body, mind and soul, Alabama's Southern Baptists are fighting to derail the 13.9 percent bill in the Senate."
So fine, alcohol corrupts. If you believe this, then just don't drink - problem solved. Go home and read your scripture while the rest of us go to hell - what concern is it of yours?
The mere thought that in the 21st century we're still even considering banning something based on scripture is so absurd I can barely comprehend it.
Well said, Dienne.
Todd

Oak Park, IL

#8 Mar 12, 2008
I love how the baptists say it corrupts the soul, but Monks in Europe who are forbidden to eat during daylight hours drink super heavy beer as nourishment during the day.

Yet another fine example of how the right wing religious idiots try to control every aspect of peoples lives. Fascists in clerical robes. I'm surprised they don't try to get wine banned during Catholic mass.
Turbo

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 12, 2008
Dienne wrote:
Exactly, it's truly frightening. Let's start basing legislation on Harry Potter novels or maybe Star Wars films? They're about as reality based as the bible.

“Go Cubs Go!”

Since: Sep 07

Homewood

#10 Mar 12, 2008
Todd wrote:
I love how the baptists say it corrupts the soul, but Monks in Europe who are forbidden to eat during daylight hours drink super heavy beer as nourishment during the day.
Yet another fine example of how the right wing religious idiots try to control every aspect of peoples lives. Fascists in clerical robes. I'm surprised they don't try to get wine banned during Catholic mass.
That's just it Todd, those Monks brewing beer are Catholics! Funny how Protestants thought Catholics were too conservative back in the time of Luther and the Reformation. It now appears that in the U.S. the shoe is on the foot today on many issues..

“Receding Headline”

Since: Oct 07

Athens

#11 Mar 13, 2008
Northside Neuman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just it Todd, those Monks brewing beer are Catholics! Funny how Protestants thought Catholics were too conservative back in the time of Luther and the Reformation. It now appears that in the U.S. the shoe is on the foot today on many issues..
First of all, neuman, you haven't a clue about Martin Luther. The protestant reformation was about purifying the corrupt catholic church. The protestants were more conservative. Also, the article says, "Alabama authorities rarely prosecute anyone for home-brewing, or for possessing beer with more than 6 percent alcohol content.

"What's done in a private home often goes undiscovered," says John Richardson, assistant administrator of the alcohol control board. "You can imagine how confusing it is trying to enforce this."By law, residents may enjoy such higher-alcohol beers if they order them shipped from an out-of-state vendor to a government warehouse, run by the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. They can pick up the shipment after paying taxes and certifying that the beers are for their personal use."

Sounds to me like someone is making you 'drinking afficianados' panic. What's with this new word for drunkard anyways?
Rhoobarb

Chicago, IL

#12 Mar 13, 2008
"Ummm, Alabama? Were you aware that home-brewing beer and wine are federally-protected activities and legislation restricting them is, well, illegal?"
Not so; states still have the authority to pass laws that restrict the federal law. Utah (Alabama with a dry climate) is the same.

I'm with you, though! It should be legal in all 50 states, DC and all US protectorates.
Sounds to me like someone is making you 'drinking afficianados' panic.
"What's with this new word for drunkard anyways?"
Larry, do yourself and the rest of us a favor. Don't talk about things of which you have no knowledge. If you want to tee-total, that's your right. But don't equate an appreciation for good beer with alcoholism.

“Receding Headline”

Athens

#13 Mar 14, 2008
Rhoobarb wrote:
... But don't equate an appreciation for good beer with alcoholism.
Let's face it. Appreciation for good beer is as much alcoholism as appreciation for good crack is crack addiction. The laws are hardly ever enforced, they're meant for late-night 'running men', and are simply in the best interest of our state's values which are predominantly (as much as 75% of the people) Christian. If you don't like the state or the laws, you are welcomed to go elsewhere. If you aren't from around here, its a southern thing and you just won't understand.
Tom

United States

#14 Mar 14, 2008
Mr. Coons:

---Let's face it. Appreciation for good beer is as much alcoholism as appreciation for good crack is crack addiction.---

Crack has far greater negative side effects, including being far more addictive. Alcohol has its own issues, but they're not nearly as dangerous. I don't buy that analogy.

---If you don't like the state or the laws, you are welcomed to go elsewhere. If you aren't from around here, its a southern thing and you just won't understand.---

That's called "states' rights." I'll accept it as long as you'll accept that that was exactly the same principle that used most often to defend Jim Crow and slavery, while we're on the subject of "southern things."

I'm a Christian, and I'll tell you that, looking at the history of it, the church was always at its absolute worst when it was working hand-in-glove with a secular government. And yes, state governments are, by definition, secular, not religious. Better let Caesar deal with Caesar's things.

Besides, as an anabaptist, surely you realize that the reason you guys came here in the first place was because you were being persecuted by every state Christianity in Europe.

Only once you get here, you try to do the same bloody deeds that drove you outta the old country. History just keeps on repeating itself...
Doug

United States

#15 Mar 14, 2008
Dienne wrote:
i agree 100% what gives some southern baptisit minister the right to tell me what i can and can not do just like the poster says if you dont like alcohol dont drink it its called freedom what a concept.

“Receding Headline”

Athens

#16 Mar 16, 2008
Tom wrote:
...History just keeps on repeating itself...
---Crack has far greater negative side effects,including being far more addictive. Alcohol has its own issues, but they're not nearly as dangerous.----

Tom,

Here are the numbers that support alcohol has far greater negative side effects and is more dangerous

Percentage of traffic fatalities related to alcohol: 39.00%
Percentage of traffic fatalities related to other drugs: 4.30%
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm55...

AND here are some that support there are more people addicted to alcohol

“In 2005-2006, the rate of past MONTH alcohol use in States among all persons aged 12 or older ranged from a low of 32.4 ... to a high of 63.1 percent...“

“The 2005-2006 national prevalence rate for the use of cocaine in the past YEAR among all persons aged 12 or older was 2.4 percent”

http://oas.samhsa.gov/2k6state/toc.cfm#All

-----That's called "states' rights." I'll accept it as long as you'll accept that that was exactly the same principle that used most often to defend Jim Crow and slavery, while we're on the subject of "southern things." ----

My friend,

Someone thought those were wrong too and developed laws to ban them. I think we are a better country because of it. But that is just my republican side showing again. Nowadays, the democrats that put those laws into place are on the defensive throughout the south.

---I'm a Christian, and I'll tell you that, looking at the history of it, the church was always at its absolute worst when it was working hand-in-glove with a secular government. And yes, state governments are, by definition, secular, not religious. Better let Caesar deal with Caesar's things---

Why can’t the church be involved in government? Isn’t their opinion as valuable as atheists and alcoholics? We are a government of people you know, most of them happen to be Christian.

----Besides, as an anabaptist, surely you realize that the reason you guys came here in the first place was because you were being persecuted by every state Christianity in Europe. Only once you get here, you try to do the same bloody deeds that drove you outta the old country. History just keeps on repeating itself...----

Are you sure you have your history right? As I recall, the Anabaptists were purifying the church and wanted more conservative religion. Yes, the country was founded on those conservative principals that didn’t merely allow one corruptible ‘Caesar’, as you call them, deal with controlling the masses. I propose a democratically elected congress decide to ban alcohol in any form reasonable in order to serve the masses. Anyways, that scripture actually supports my side of the argument. Men should be allowed under Christian doctrine to form laws that restrict other men. Though god is the ultimate authority, we should obey the law of the land and not microbrew where it is illegal. I’m sure you know that since you are a Christian, so why would you misuse it?

“Receding Headline”

Athens

#17 Mar 16, 2008
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>... i agree 100% what gives some southern baptisit minister the right to tell me what i can and can not do ...
Dead children, wives, grandmas, puppies, and a whole lot more give them the right to voice their opinion. What you drunkards are doing affects our lives. Besides, the authority of God should influence the law of man. Check this out:
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>...its called freedom what a concept.
OH MY BUDDHA! What the Hindu are you saying? Let's see: Freedom to live, Freedom to drive around without your drunk Muhammad running into me! Freedom ... what a concept!

“Receding Headline”

Athens

#18 Mar 16, 2008
Sorry doug, let me try again:

Check this out:

http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-exp...
Rhonin

Perris, CA

#19 Mar 16, 2008
Larry, if you weren't such an idiot, it would be good to argue with you. Instead you have your head up your butt with your "better than you" religious values. Gotta wonder why all of those Babtist churches were being burned down.
Larry Coons wrote:
<quoted text>
Dead children, wives, grandmas, puppies, and a whole lot more give them the right to voice their opinion. What you drunkards are doing affects our lives. Besides, the authority of God should influence the law of man. Check this out:
<quoted text>
OH MY BUDDHA! What the Hindu are you saying? Let's see: Freedom to live, Freedom to drive around without your drunk Muhammad running into me! Freedom ... what a concept!

“Receding Headline”

Athens

#20 Mar 16, 2008
Rhonin wrote:
Larry, if you weren't such an idiot, it would be good to argue with you. Instead you have your head up your butt with your "better than you" religious values. Gotta wonder why all of those Babtist churches were being burned down.
<quoted text>
Whoa! sounds like the idiot made you mad. I never said I was better than you though. Sounds to me like you also think it's okay to persecute Christians but not people like you. That tells me you think you feel you are the better one. Better than baptists, that is. You can't spell better than them though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dog Days Flea Market (Jul '06) Dec 2 That Asian guy ov... 74
Whitney Sitzler Nov 29 John Holmes 2
News Murder trial begins for 30-year-old Huntsville ... (Jul '09) Nov 26 I Br 8
Flirting older women Nov 25 Maggie Simpson 4
News Pastor charged with domestic violence (Dec '07) Nov 25 No name 640
Trump's Presidential Qualifications (Mar '16) Nov 23 The Obvious Truth 10
Unsolved murder Nov 23 The Obvious Truth 4

Harvest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance