Officials Talk About Cost Of Search F...

Officials Talk About Cost Of Search For Missing 10 Year Old

There are 36 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from Aug 10, 2010, titled Officials Talk About Cost Of Search For Missing 10 Year Old. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

A 10 year old Madison County boy is relaxing in the comfort of his own home. It's a quite different scenario from what Jordan Smith was doing hours ago when dozens of people were looking for him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hsvillian

United States

#23 Aug 11, 2010
To all those saying the boy shouldn't have been put in handcuffs. As the story reported, the dad gave them permission to do so because he KNOWS what scare tactics work for his child. Remember, the 10-yr old doesn't know the legalities of his handcuffing (we couldn't tell an 18-yr old he gets in jail for running away from home, but we could put some senses into an younger child that way, they still believe (all) of you tell them as a parental authority).

Now, to the paying back the costs: You only say that, because of the outcome. Had he still run away from home, and gotten run over by a car 3 miles down the road, or kidnapped, would you still be asking who's paying for the search? I doubt.
mi mi

Meridianville, AL

#24 Aug 11, 2010
I don't mind paying taxes when it come to looking for a child!!!!! The dad was very worried. I would have called 911 too!!! I don't think it was wrong to handcuff him to try to teach him a lesson either. That doesn't mean you aren't parenting your child @ home!!!! If my child was to do something as stupid as run away @ 10 years old, I would want the law and neighbors to help me find my child. Sometime people need to sit back and think what if it was me going through this situation before you comment!!!!!
mi mi

Meridianville, AL

#25 Aug 11, 2010
Michelle wrote:
For those who spoke negatively of this child and his family and those who helped him... SHAME ON YOU! You were a child once and likely made bad choices as well. Obviously if his mom is in Georgia and Dad is in Monrovia, there are some very grown up and serious issues he is having to deal with. He made a bad decision and ran away. I applaud his father for approving the method of discipline... Likely scared the heck out of him.
No way the parents should have to pay for this! Look at what the FBI and other policeman spent tracking down the Flight attendant who used the F word to a passenger and took 2 beers. They had SWAT teams, helicopters, etc... for that???? The life of a 10 year old boy was certainly worth the time and effort of all of those who went out to search!!! I am actually proud that my tax dollars were spent on something useful and community related. WHAT IF IT WERE YOUR CHILD... WHAT IF HE HADN'T RUN AWAY BUT WAS ABDUCTED INSTEAD???
I applaud all those who helped - MADISON COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT - MONROVIA VOLUNTEER FIRE FIGHTERS - NEIGHBORS - ETC!!!!
well said michelle...my thoughts EXACTLY!!!!
nancy

United States

#26 Aug 11, 2010
I'd much rather see my tax dollars pay searchers to find a little boy than to finance Michelle Obama's outlandish over-the-top vacation!
Madison Mom

Madison, AL

#27 Aug 11, 2010
paul wrote:
Has channel 19 gone out to see how much the search for the missing woman is costing the tax payers, it may be that the searchers are expending too much money on that case as well. Have to insure an invoice is sent to the family of that missing woman, because that is no different a situation then this search for the 10 year old boy was.
All aside:
(I do pray they find her safe as they did with the boy)
They only ask about costs once the person is found alive and well.....sad but true. It is like having a pain and going to the Dr. If it is nothing people say they went for nothing and paid that co-pay for NOTHING.....always been my pet peeve. People would rather exert that energy and money if the outcome is bad.
sam

Huntsville, AL

#28 Aug 11, 2010
southern gal wrote:
Cuffing a 10-year-old child and putting him into a police cruiser is no way to deal with the emotional problems the child is experiencing during the custody dispute. Shame on the father and the police--this is child abuse. You don't punish a child in this manner, by scaring him to death. Obviously, the little boy needs to hear about the alarm that he caused and the cost of the search for him, but scaring him to death because he misses his mother is abusive. I hope his mother files a suit against the father for this abuse.
the boy needed that done. thats not a way to be playing around whether he is mad or upset or whatever. what if something was realy wrong? nobody knew and the father wanted a lesson taught to him. do you have kids?
Seymore

Huntsville, AL

#29 Aug 11, 2010
Wow good thing they didn't have a balloon.
test

Madison, AL

#30 Aug 11, 2010
the majority of the searchers were volunteers from the Monrovia Fire Dept and local concerned parents.
Donna

Morris, AL

#31 Aug 11, 2010
southern gal wrote:
Cuffing a 10-year-old child and putting him into a police cruiser is no way to deal with the emotional problems the child is experiencing during the custody dispute. Shame on the father and the police--this is child abuse. You don't punish a child in this manner, by scaring him to death. Obviously, the little boy needs to hear about the alarm that he caused and the cost of the search for him, but scaring him to death because he misses his mother is abusive. I hope his mother files a suit against the father for this abuse.
The problem here would be you do not have a clue of what is going on in the dispute over custody with the little boy. So that being said I do not feel you have the right to start screaming child abuse. Sounds to me like you must be divorced and blamed everything on your EX, and now want to blame everything on this (man)father and anyone who helps him. For all you know the mother could be molesting the boy.
Bestworking

Birmingham, AL

#32 Aug 11, 2010
Claiming child abuse every time a parent does something another parent doesn't agree with is becoming as common and tiresome as people calling political opponents racists. Soon it will lose it's meaning too.
Child abuse is serious, but what happened here is far from abuse. Granted it scared the child, but did it teach him anything? It taught him that his father and the police were only "bluffing", and the next time he does something wrong there will be no consequences, only idle threats. What should happen is someone in the police department that is qualified to work with children spend a few hours with him explaining why his actions were wrong, and the right way to "act out". Also he needs to know what could happen to him should he ever actually run away. Give the child a "softcore" lecture so to speak. Show him pictures of other children his age that have been abducted and never returned, so it will be real to him.(normal pictures of course, no murder scene pictures), and explain how the disapperances affected the parents. Have him write a little essay on what he learned, how he feels, and let him ask questions if he's still upset. What his father chose to do was what he thought was right, and was not child abuse in any way.
Too funny

Des Moines, IA

#33 Aug 11, 2010
I can not believe that they called Limestone Correctional Facility's canine search team out to find this kid. Their team has a hard enough finding the "decoy" person that they do drills with. Wait, that might explain why the team was not the ones that found the kid.
BAHAHAHA!
Peggy

Birmingham, AL

#34 Aug 11, 2010
Thank God that that little was found. Kids are sometimes placed in confusing circumstances through no fault of their own. His Dad obviously cares for him, and hopefully he has learned a lesson. I wish him the best of everything this school year, and may God watch over him. Money is not the issue in a case like this. If one of my grandchildren was missing, I would everything possible done to find him/her. I would want nothing less for ANYONE'S child.
citygirl

AOL

#35 Aug 11, 2010
You can't put a price on a child. I'm glad he was found safe and glad my tax payers money went to a the search. No parent should EVER pay any money back....Thank God it was a happy ending.
Melissa

Huntsville, AL

#36 Aug 12, 2010
I feel that this was handled in the best possible manner. I have 2 children and love and care for them and if one of them went missing or may have run away I'm calling 911. Why should I be charged for a service that I and everyone else may be in the need for at anytime and is being paid for continually out of our tax dollars. This child is 10 years old was upset over everything going on in his life and wanted time alone to deal with it. The father had no way of knowing if he was safe or in trouble, that boy needed the scare now eveyone with a child needs to communicate the dangers and the conciquences that can happen when they do things like this. The next step for the child is family counciling and to open up the communication between him and his father whom he just started living with. What are the police for, should we invoice everyone who calls 911? What if I need some me time am I at fault that someone calls 911? Get over it.
jacko

Toney, AL

#37 Aug 12, 2010
Ok so you didnt say how much or who is going to pay
that was the story header
this story was not complete
haphazardly bad reporting
Bestworking

Birmingham, AL

#38 Aug 12, 2010
Melissa wrote:
I feel that this was handled in the best possible manner. I have 2 children and love and care for them and if one of them went missing or may have run away I'm calling 911. Why should I be charged for a service that I and everyone else may be in the need for at anytime and is being paid for continually out of our tax dollars. This child is 10 years old was upset over everything going on in his life and wanted time alone to deal with it. The father had no way of knowing if he was safe or in trouble, that boy needed the scare now eveyone with a child needs to communicate the dangers and the conciquences that can happen when they do things like this. The next step for the child is family counciling and to open up the communication between him and his father whom he just started living with. What are the police for, should we invoice everyone who calls 911? What if I need some me time am I at fault that someone calls 911? Get over it.
Adults that need "me" time should be responsible enough to tell someone they're leaving. Yes of course you would be at fault if you just disappeared on your own. If your concerned family members called 911 and a full out search resulted of course you should have to pay for the resourses used to find or search for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dumb conspiracy theorists. Tue 314159times 5
How old is the sewage system in Huntsville? Tue 314159times 6
brad bost Tue Tammy 11
pig eats and reads in the menroom Aug 20 Boss Man 1
green house Aug 19 jerome 1
Boots (Jul '16) Aug 16 Margie Royce 5
Bridge Street Monaco Gang Shooting Aug 16 James Alex Fields 6

Harvest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance