Officials Talk About Cost Of Search F...

Officials Talk About Cost Of Search For Missing 10 Year Old

There are 36 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from Aug 10, 2010, titled Officials Talk About Cost Of Search For Missing 10 Year Old. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

A 10 year old Madison County boy is relaxing in the comfort of his own home. It's a quite different scenario from what Jordan Smith was doing hours ago when dozens of people were looking for him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Peter Hungsley

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1 Aug 11, 2010
Sounds like taxpayers money going to waste right here. I can't believe the Smith family will not have to pay any kind of penalty. I am glad little Jordan is okay, and I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson. I hope the parents learned one, too.
lau

United States

#2 Aug 11, 2010
that is funny! i have to be within 20 feet of my base for my phone to work. was the little feller under their nose the entire time or where exactly was he, under his bed? Personally, i think he should have been arrested for real, running away is a crime for little offenders and cost lots of time and energy for police and in this case lots of much needed money and police resources. What if their had been a real emergency/diaster, this type of incident cost too much money and could possible cost lives. Put him in the D-Home, he earned it.
Elle

Huntsville, AL

#3 Aug 11, 2010
I am so thankful that this turned out not to be another tragic ending to the life of an innocent child.
lau

United States

#4 Aug 11, 2010
Elle wrote:
I am so thankful that this turned out not to be another tragic ending to the life of an innocent child.
the term innocent child is over used and over rated. I'm glad he's safe too, and not news for Nancy Grace, but he is not innocent.
frypan2000

Huntsville, AL

#5 Aug 11, 2010
I need a new cordless phone. What kind did he have? Mine is terrible.
txgal49

Huntsville, AL

#6 Aug 11, 2010
after my comment was removed 8-10-10, i will attempt a 2nd today. authorities did what they should do when a minor goes missing. the father should not have put the parenting on the sheriff's dept. in the manner that he did and the officers should not have agreed to do that to a 10 yr old child. good parenting begins in the home. maybe the boy had a valid reason for wanting to go somewhere to call his mother in Georgia--away from his other parent. i do not know the family nor the situation, just my opinion that you do not cuff 10 yr olds and haul them off to jail because the Dad thinks it's a good idea. bad judgement on MSCO part. my opinion. now rate it--if it's still on here.
John

Florence, AL

#7 Aug 11, 2010
Look,the people doing the search were just doing their job.It's what they get paid for.It's what we pay taxes for.

Every time something like this happens you people jump on the who's going to pay bandwagon.

We all pay and should be thankful that the people who do the job of protecting us and our community are there when needed.

Like the man said they do their job and don't worry about who pays.Maybe some others could do the same.
Michelle

United States

#8 Aug 11, 2010
For those who spoke negatively of this child and his family and those who helped him... SHAME ON YOU! You were a child once and likely made bad choices as well. Obviously if his mom is in Georgia and Dad is in Monrovia, there are some very grown up and serious issues he is having to deal with. He made a bad decision and ran away. I applaud his father for approving the method of discipline... Likely scared the heck out of him.

No way the parents should have to pay for this! Look at what the FBI and other policeman spent tracking down the Flight attendant who used the F word to a passenger and took 2 beers. They had SWAT teams, helicopters, etc... for that???? The life of a 10 year old boy was certainly worth the time and effort of all of those who went out to search!!! I am actually proud that my tax dollars were spent on something useful and community related. WHAT IF IT WERE YOUR CHILD... WHAT IF HE HADN'T RUN AWAY BUT WAS ABDUCTED INSTEAD???

I applaud all those who helped - MADISON COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT - MONROVIA VOLUNTEER FIRE FIGHTERS - NEIGHBORS - ETC!!!!
paul

Flat Rock, AL

#9 Aug 11, 2010
Unbelievable, I am writing not regarding the lead story but the news media and comments here. It is sad that people put money as an issue when it comes to the disappearance of any child, whether the outcome was as in this case or not. XXXXXX XXXXXX (Young child presumed dead) is missing, a body was ever found, and this child must have run away or is hiding, right? So letís charge all these missing childrenís families for all the wasted tax payer money spent looking for them!

THIS JUST SOUNDS COMPLETELY AWFUL DOES IT NOT. So why the difference here with this child, It must be the color of skin, maybe because it is not a Rock Stars child or a Movie Stars child, it could be the economic status of the family or their just not one of the so called elite Alabama families, for it sure has to be something, right?

Because the real truth is any missing child is worth every penny to find, no matter the outcome.(Fill in the name with of any one of the thousands of Alabama missing CHILDREN)
Karinttt

Toney, AL

#10 Aug 11, 2010
When looking for a missing child, it doesn't matter the cost. Fortunately, it would be rare that the child has been kidnapped. Still, I applaud the City of Huntsville and the Madison County Law Enforcement and Fire Department Response to actively start looking for a child as soon as a parent calls. Yes, chances are the child's just gone to someone's home and forgotten to call. Still, the best chance of finding a missing child is to respond immediately. How can we weigh cost against any other possibility? Personally, I can't think of a better way to spend tax dollars than "finding" a child. I also think that we should have some way of alerting the public right away. It would be great if there was a way to set into motion an automated telephone alert to every phone number within a radius of where a child went missing, or within an area where a child might be located. If an immediate phone alert had went out, perhaps an adult would have been notified that the child at his house was being sought and responded to law enforcement. Actually, a blanket Madison County phone alert wouldn't seem unreasonable to me. As far as the cost goes, if those workers and vehicles were on duty and we were already paying for them as part of their normal shift; I don't think we should be adding them as "cost." And, parents and caretakers need to be able to call immediately without having to worry about the cost. When a child is missing, we should be responding immediately to determine if there's a reason or indication that we need to involve more resources and step up the search if there's a possibility the child is in danger. Even runaway children are worth finding; and the faster we find them, the less chance they'll come to harm. If our society does not value a child above all else, then we aren't worth much as a society. I'm impressed that our law enforcement pulled out all the stops to find this child!! Mucho Kudos Guys!!
Peter Hungsley

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Aug 11, 2010
Michelle wrote:
For those who spoke negatively of this child and his family and those who helped him... SHAME ON YOU! You were a child once and likely made bad choices as well. Obviously if his mom is in Georgia and Dad is in Monrovia, there are some very grown up and serious issues he is having to deal with. He made a bad decision and ran away. I applaud his father for approving the method of discipline... Likely scared the heck out of him.
No way the parents should have to pay for this! Look at what the FBI and other policeman spent tracking down the Flight attendant who used the F word to a passenger and took 2 beers. They had SWAT teams, helicopters, etc... for that???? The life of a 10 year old boy was certainly worth the time and effort of all of those who went out to search!!! I am actually proud that my tax dollars were spent on something useful and community related. WHAT IF IT WERE YOUR CHILD... WHAT IF HE HADN'T RUN AWAY BUT WAS ABDUCTED INSTEAD???
I applaud all those who helped - MADISON COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT - MONROVIA VOLUNTEER FIRE FIGHTERS - NEIGHBORS - ETC!!!!
I applaud all those hat helped, too. We are lucky to live in such a great community. However, my fear is that the next time a child goes missing the response may not be as swift if the mindset is "ah, we gotta another runaway on our hands". I hope this doesn't dilute the efforts of our response teams. Some kind of fine (that could be used towards emergency response equipment, logistics, etc.) for the parent would certainly help deter this type of unnecessary event from happening again.
Mom

Huntsville, AL

#12 Aug 11, 2010
I know if my baby girl was missing I would want the whole state looking for her..even if it were her own fault and she was hiding at a neighbors house. Your kid is your kid and you cant put a price on them! WHo cares how much it cost, thats what we pay taxes for- and thats why the people who work those jobs are employed!

Huntsville, AL

#13 Aug 11, 2010
Peter Hungsley wrote:
<quoted text>
Some kind of fine (that could be used towards emergency response equipment, logistics, etc.) for the parent would certainly help deter this type of unnecessary event from happening again.
A fine? Really? So my child goes missing and I can't find him with a quick search of the area. I would have to weigh whether I think someone has taken my child and has a vehicular head-start on the police or if I need to look again because I may have to clean out my savings account to pay the fine for not looking hard enough. Every minute a parent spends looking for their child could be a mile or more widening the search grid.
olivia j

United States

#14 Aug 11, 2010
the investigator did a wonderful job on location the child. IT should have been treated as an emergence and every thing was done to help find the child. weather the child was found 500 or 5000 thousand a life was saved and a child returned to their family. channel 19 should be ashamed to even ask who was footing the bill. 19 didn't care or it seems that a life was save or it could have been worse or the child could have been in real trouble they just wanted the bottom line of how much and who was going to pay that is what this world has come to. i think the boys father will handle him and he has a good start on it by letting the police cuff him and put him in the car. I think that the boy has learned his lesson but has 19 no it just wanted to know what was the cost and who was paying. Its more to life then who pays show some compassion to the family and friends that was help looking for the boy. those three hours was life changing for everyone involved .
Peter Hungsley

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Aug 11, 2010
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
A fine? Really? So my child goes missing and I can't find him with a quick search of the area. I would have to weigh whether I think someone has taken my child and has a vehicular head-start on the police or if I need to look again because I may have to clean out my savings account to pay the fine for not looking hard enough. Every minute a parent spends looking for their child could be a mile or more widening the search grid.
Look, we don't know the background of the story. I understand there was a custody dispute or something along those lines. A 10 year old being angry with dad and leaving the house in his upscale neighborhood is quite different from a child being abducted and sent off in a speeding van. I was upset when I first heard the story because I live close by, but when the truth comes out and you see what everyone went through to find him, its annoying. I would do the same thing if my son went missing, but if it turns out he was down the street trying to get me mad, I would be humiliated to find a command center was set up, several sheriff's deputies and volunteer firemen were sent out patrolling for him, and dozens of other volunteers were taking time out of their day to help find him. I would want to pay a fine for troubling these people! I bet several parents in the neighborhood feel the same way I do now. At the end of the day, I am happy that the story has a happy ending. But remember what happened to the boy that cried wolf.......I don't want this to happen again because the community will begin to ignore it after it happens continually. Just like we all ignore the car alarm that goes off in a parking lot........ no one looks or pays any attention to it........
UncleTwoDogs

United States

#18 Aug 11, 2010
Consider it a training exercise for first responders, an opportunity to coordinate and communicate with civilians, and then move on. As for the child, he should receive a consequence such as having all media and toys withheld for a while and I would have him write a paper apologizing and thanking law enforcement and the community. But, you folks talking about a fine for the family and detention for the child(where he can learn how to commit real crimes), must not understand what it's like to wear someone else's shoes.
Elizabeth

United States

#19 Aug 11, 2010
Kudos to the searchers! I have to agree with the dad. I'm really happy for his parents that this child was found safe and sound. I can't imagine what his father was feeling.
Uncle Two Dogs, your idea of writing the paper and/or the letters is absolutely brilliant!
casey

Old Hickory, TN

#20 Aug 11, 2010
We should not think about the cost, what if it had been an abduction? I am proud that the boy was safe and found.
paul

Flat Rock, AL

#21 Aug 11, 2010
Has channel 19 gone out to see how much the search for the missing woman is costing the tax payers, it may be that the searchers are expending too much money on that case as well. Have to insure an invoice is sent to the family of that missing woman, because that is no different a situation then this search for the 10 year old boy was.

All aside:

(I do pray they find her safe as they did with the boy)
southern gal

Biloxi, MS

#22 Aug 11, 2010
Cuffing a 10-year-old child and putting him into a police cruiser is no way to deal with the emotional problems the child is experiencing during the custody dispute. Shame on the father and the police--this is child abuse. You don't punish a child in this manner, by scaring him to death. Obviously, the little boy needs to hear about the alarm that he caused and the cost of the search for him, but scaring him to death because he misses his mother is abusive. I hope his mother files a suit against the father for this abuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boots (Jul '16) Wed Margie Royce 5
Bridge Street Monaco Gang Shooting Wed James Alex Fields 6
News Stevenson unveils a new historical marker for A... Aug 13 One2one 5
Oral sex Aug 9 Boss Man 5
Dumb conspiracy theorists. Aug 7 Oh good grief 2
News Luther Strange leads in GOP Senate primary, pol... Aug 5 ThomasA 12
News Daniel Moore Murder Trial: David Tipton Takes S... (Feb '10) Aug 5 Eaton Beavers 52

Harvest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harvest Mortgages