Toddler Hurt After Hit & Run Accident

Full story: WHNT News 19 14
A toddler is in the hospital as state troopers look for the person responsible for sending him there. Full Story
dumm

Arab, AL

#1 Dec 27, 2009
Was child hurt during or after the hit and run
Theresia Cantwell

Woodbine, GA

#2 Dec 27, 2009
I hope the troopers do a better job at arresting the person in the vehicle that left the scene. Good thing it didn't happen in Collinsville, AL/DeKalb County because they probably say the same thing that was said to me when I was ran over and injured. "It was just an unfornate accident" are the feelings about my hit and run. I would love to know how you go about justifying a hit and run as anything but an accident. If it wasn't an "accident" then it would/should be charged as vehicular manslaughter, vehicular whatever but NOT "just and accident" with NO tickets and nothing done to the man who did it. And to this day the man is still drinking and driving and shows no remorse. God help the people who may in the future have the unfornate opportunity to be hit by him while he's drunk driving. What are the police in this town and county thinking? Does it have to take him killing someone before they don't just shake their heads and say, "That's just Jake. He's been that way for years".
Hope they find Him

Buford, GA

#3 Dec 27, 2009
The boy and two girls, 5 and 11 I think, were in the back seat. The hit and run vehicle, hit the rear passenger side of the other vehicle the boy was in, where he was sitting. The two girls and the parents are OK, physically.
Rodale Newsome

Loretto, TN

#4 Dec 27, 2009
Why can't they provide a better description than just a SUV? What color was it? 2-Door or 4-door? If they want the public's help, they need to provide better information
Hope they find Him

Buford, GA

#5 Dec 27, 2009
My wife saw the accident. She said it was a Red SUV, maybe Explorer, maybe Blazer. She thinks it was 4-door. She was traveling the opposite direction of the vehicle that was hit, and the hit vehicle spun it front of her path and off the side of the road. She was very scared and called 911. While making the call, she noticed the SUV continuing West on Burwell Rd. She was in total disbelief, but noticed another vechile behind the SUV and assumed they would call police to notify them. Apparently, they did not. She was shook up, and she and everyone else were more concerned for the occupants of the struck vehicle, and did not pay close enough attention to the SUV.
Scott in Hazel Green

Spirit Lake, IA

#6 Dec 27, 2009
OK Rodale. Without turning around, describe everything in the room that is directly behind you.
Point made. An accident happens so quickly you don't have time to get a good description.
amanda

Huntsville, AL

#7 Dec 27, 2009
This is so sad to read. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time. I hope the child recovers fully and quickly. One question for WHNT though: Since when is a 4 year old child considered to be a toddler?
angie

Stockbridge, GA

#9 Dec 27, 2009
YOU KNOW IT MAKES ME SO MAD WHEN PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE RRESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE THAT THEY WANT OTHERS TO GIVE THEM.I BET IF THAT WAS SOMEONE IN HIS FAMILY HE WOULD BE FUSSING AND SAYING THEY NEEDED TO BE IN JAIL. WELL PEOPLE LIKE THAT NEED TO REALIZE THAT PERSON IS SOMEONE FAMILY.
Elgato

United States

#10 Dec 27, 2009
If the troopers will stay focused long enough and have a heart for kids they will find him.
Doug Keel

Dubuque, IA

#11 Dec 30, 2009
Per his grandfather, Jacob is still in ICU in a coma today (12/30) with a severe brain injury. All others in the car were okay; Jacob was sitting where the SUV hit their vehicle.

PLEASE PRAY FOR JACOB AUSTIN and ask everyone you know to add him to their prayer lists.

Hey WHNT, are you keeping up with this story? Did they find the driver?
Kerri

Madison, AL

#12 Dec 30, 2009
I hope your son is getting better. All of us at Toney Post Office are thinking of your family you all are in our prayers.

Since: Dec 09

Austin, TX

#13 Dec 31, 2009
Theresia Cantwell wrote:
I hope the troopers do a better job at arresting the person in the vehicle that left the scene. Good thing it didn't happen in Collinsville, AL/DeKalb County because they probably say the same thing that was said to me when I was ran over and injured. "It was just an unfornate accident" are the feelings about my hit and run. I would love to know how you go about justifying a hit and run as anything but an accident. If it wasn't an "accident" then it would/should be charged as vehicular manslaughter, vehicular whatever but NOT "just and accident" with NO tickets and nothing done to the man who did it. And to this day the man is still drinking and driving and shows no remorse. God help the people who may in the future have the unfornate opportunity to be hit by him while he's drunk driving. What are the police in this town and county thinking? Does it have to take him killing someone before they don't just shake their heads and say, "That's just Jake. He's been that way for years".
Lauderdale Co isn't any better. Had family members killed by a teenager (Melissa King, went to Colbert Co high school) who crossed a double yellow line and she wasn't even issued a reckless ticket. She was allowed to file bankruptcy right after her 18th birthday so she could have her license reinstated also!!! No one should be allowed to file bankruptcy just to avoid a financial claim after you murder people!!!
Donnaew

Huntsville, AL

#14 Jan 3, 2010
His grandmother said Jacob is still in a coma and asked for prayers. He is such as sweet little boy.
sister

Huntsville, AL

#15 Oct 13, 2011
Im the sister of Jacob Austin, Breanna. At the time was eleven im now 13. They still havent found the person after two years. I loved all of your encouraging words. Jacob is much better he is back in school and pretty much normal.Thanks for yor support.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White People are OUR Natural Enemies 16 hr Crush White Liars 1
Wyte on the Moon Tue Davis Chainberlin 3
Forensic Evidence Supports Ferguson Police Shoo... Oct 18 Hans Omaicok 3
Meeting Asians Oct 18 Dick Goesinher 3
Who do you support for Sheriff in Alabama (Madi... (Oct '10) Oct 17 Rosa Parks 27
Youths recognized for community spirit (Apr '07) Oct 16 Eric Cartman1870 4
Ebola Patient Vomited on Children Oct 15 PigTail at The Grove 17
Harvest Dating
Find my Match

Harvest Jobs

Harvest People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Harvest News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Harvest

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]