Rich Meyers

Orange, CT

#3168 Mar 23, 2013
curious wrote:
New Rochelle Guy--Murf looked like Bob Denver from Gillians Island. Had a lot of good stories.
Yes Murph passed away about five years ago. He was doing odd jobs at Dudleys. He was a school mate of mine. Nice guy but the sauce i think was his down fall.
paulbel

Vancouver, Canada

#3169 Mar 23, 2013
Rich Meyers wrote:
<quoted text> Yes Murph passed away about five years ago. He was doing odd jobs at Dudleys. He was a school mate of mine. Nice guy but the sauce i think was his down fall.
Bob Denver went to Mayflower, I think. I seem to recall one of my teachers telling me that, back in the day.
Good Old Days

Crossville, TN

#3170 Mar 24, 2013
Rich Meyers wrote:
<quoted text> Yes Murph passed away about five years ago. He was doing odd jobs at Dudleys. He was a school mate of mine. Nice guy but the sauce i think was his down fall.
Was his actual name Vinny Murphy ?
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3171 Apr 8, 2013
Do any of you remember going roller skating down Lincoln Ave., in Mt. Vernon. Also burgers at the Cold N Hut, by the circle at Lincoln and Gramatan Ave. Also having to contend at times with that Gang called The Mt.Vernon Baldies??? Didn't want to let on you were from NR, if alone.LOL

Since: Apr 13

AOL

#3172 Apr 8, 2013
Frankie nac rat wrote:
Do any of you remember going roller skating down Lincoln Ave., in Mt. Vernon. Also burgers at the Cold N Hut, by the circle at Lincoln and Gramatan Ave. Also having to contend at times with that Gang called The Mt.Vernon Baldies??? Didn't want to let on you were from NR, if alone.LOL
I remember skating in Mt. Vernon. Going way back, New Rochelle had a skating rink on Winthrop Ave, in from North Ave. on the left side. Think the Board of Ed is there now. Peekskill had a nice rink also. "ALL SKATE"
Cutting School

Wimauma, FL

#3173 Apr 8, 2013
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Motorcycle club was Ching-a-Ling nomads....they were actually some nice guys....I was friendly with most.
I knew Skipper and Roy, and both were good guys.
I think Skipper was a cop before joining the MC.

These days, the bad guys, are the good guys.
And most of the good kids, are dead, in jail, or usless.

The bad kids, have good jobs, own businesses, and are independent.

I'm certainly glad I cut school (IY), and got an education....

Trinity, Class of 67
frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3174 May 4, 2013
Cutting School wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew Skipper and Roy, and both were good guys.
I think Skipper was a cop before joining the MC.
These days, the bad guys, are the good guys.
And most of the good kids, are dead, in jail, or usless.
The bad kids, have good jobs, own businesses, and are independent.
I'm certainly glad I cut school (IY), and got an education....
Trinity, Class of 67
Hey cutting school, is that murietta ca.? If so I have a cousin who's a deacon at St. Murtha's church there, small world, Nacarato, but he spells it Necerato, Confusion when the family came ove from Italy, two lines at immigration, lol.
Dave M

West Palm Beach, FL

#3175 May 12, 2013
paulbel wrote:
Across the street from Mayflower elementary school (as it was then, in the 50s, early 60s) was a candy store the kinds called "Erb's". I never knew it as anything other than Erb's. But looking back I figure it must have been "Irv's" or something like that. Never got a chance to go back and see for myself. Anyone know for sure?
I believe it was called "Herb's" (aka "Kessler's" (sp?)). Mom and pop place. Had a tiny soda fountain in the back, tons of candy, lots of toys, shelves were packed. I remember saving up for a "Kessler" cap-gun. I also recall them trying to sell the store, they were asking $5,000. This was around the time the White Tower (Hamburger chain) located down the street, on the NW corner of North & Mayflower Avenues. It was also the heyday of the College Diner... and Leo's Delicatessen up next to the firehouse.
Big D

West Palm Beach, FL

#3176 May 12, 2013
Frankie nac rat wrote:
I remember. Used to go there, I think the year was 1955. Rough place, but lots of pretty girls. My best friend at the time ("Dudley" - later of "Dudley's" Hudson Park - and "Dud'Z" on North Avenue) got a few teeth knocked just outside the rink. Next time Mt. Vernon (HS) came to play New Rochelle HS, a riot broke out stemming from the roller-rink confrontation. We won (the fight), but because of the melee it was the last night game ever played at NRHS. Which I believe holds true to this day. Again, the year would have been 1955, possibly 1956. Back in the day when we wore loud pegged pants, in colors like chartreuse - courtesy of Jack’s Army & Navy Store on Huguenot Street. Wild times, they were.
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3177 May 12, 2013
Big D
I grew up next door to Wayne, AKA Dudley, of the Davis family. Do you know if he is still around ?
I lost contact with him a few years ago and the last time I was in NR Dudz bar was closed.
paulbel

Vancouver, Canada

#3178 May 12, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember. Used to go there, I think the year was 1955. Rough place, but lots of pretty girls. My best friend at the time ("Dudley" - later of "Dudley's" Hudson Park - and "Dud'Z" on North Avenue) got a few teeth knocked just outside the rink. Next time Mt. Vernon (HS) came to play New Rochelle HS, a riot broke out stemming from the roller-rink confrontation. We won (the fight), but because of the melee it was the last night game ever played at NRHS. Which I believe holds true to this day. Again, the year would have been 1955, possibly 1956. Back in the day when we wore loud pegged pants, in colors like chartreuse - courtesy of Jack’s Army & Navy Store on Huguenot Street. Wild times, they were.
The White Tower was the first meal outside of the home that I ever had. As it might have been for lots of kids who went to Mayflower. And Leo's became a place for lunches while at NRHS. thanks for the memories of "Herb's" Big D. I never was aware of "Kessler"
Big D

West Palm Beach, FL

#3179 May 12, 2013
Fred H wrote:
Big D
I grew up next door to Wayne, AKA Dudley, of the Davis family. Do you know if he is still around ?
I lost contact with him a few years ago and the last time I was in NR Dudz bar was closed.
Sadly, Wayne (Dudley) passed in February. Last time I saw him was about ten years ago - on trip up from Florida. I stopped by Dud'Z one early afternoon, had a nice visit. We were like brothers during our early-mid teens. I knew the whole family (Terry, Jay, Kit-Ellen, Noel - plus his live-in aunt, a retired school teacher I think). Wayne and I did a lot of "stuff" together, he even gave me the nickname "BD" - aka Big Dave)- not because I was especially "big", just bigger than he was. Wayne was a tough character, with a great sense of humor. And a lightening-quick wit, really smart. Aside from the "stuff" we did, we worked together at Bonnie Briar CC and 7-Up. He eventually got his own truck/route at 7-Up, saved his money, then opened "Dudley's".(His brother Terry had married Polychron, who had inherited the marina from her parents). Wayne and I had many great times together, lots of fond memories.
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3180 May 12, 2013
Yea Dudley was a great guy, I had some good times with him also, Yes the skating rink could be a tough place, but it had its good times. Also the Cold n Hut at the circle, great burgers. I spent more time at the White Tower on Main n Stephanson Blvd.Though. Used to hang out there a lot when I drove for Sal LaPera at All American Taxi.
Big D

West Palm Beach, FL

#3181 May 12, 2013
Frankie nac rat wrote:
Yea Dudley was a great guy, I had some good times with him also, Yes the skating rink could be a tough place, but it had its good times. Also the Cold n Hut at the circle, great burgers. I spent more time at the White Tower on Main n Stephanson Blvd.Though. Used to hang out there a lot when I drove for Sal LaPera at All American Taxi.
Frank, do you remember Mike Ranilla? He used to drive for Sal LaPera - late 1950's. Mike and I were very good friends - grew up in the same neighborhood. Regarding Sal, he also ran an acting school out of his house (this was primarily after the cab business). During Christmas, Sal also played Santa Claus - including on local radio. And if I remember correctly, he played stand-in/stunt-man for Lee J. Cobb in the movie "On The Waterfront" (w/Marlon Brando)- Sal did the fight scenes. Sal was also a star football player (offensive lineman/tackle), he was an important part of NRHS’s unbeaten season, I think the year was 1933.
I also recall "your' White Tower very well - I lived nearby during the 60's.
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3182 May 12, 2013
Big D,
We must know each other or at least seen each other many times. My nickname was Buddy then even before Wayne’s nickname became Dudley. Dudley and his then wife and family stayed with us at our house in Boca Raton in the mid 70’s. My bar named the Ship Ahoy, sound familiar? was a few blocks away.
Wayne and I did many of the same things. I also had a Joyce 7up Company “Diet Rite Cola” route in Brooklyn after I got out of the USN in 1964. That was really good money then.
I visited with him at Dudz bar about 7 years ago. Time sure flys. Barry Smith, a friend of Noles, told me about a year ago Wayne was sick and his bar was closed. I tried to call him with no luck.
Sorry to hear of his passing.
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, Wayne (Dudley) passed in February. Last time I saw him was about ten years ago - on trip up from Florida. I stopped by Dud'Z one early afternoon, had a nice visit. We were like brothers during our early-mid teens. I knew the whole family (Terry, Jay, Kit-Ellen, Noel - plus his live-in aunt, a retired school teacher I think). Wayne and I did a lot of "stuff" together, he even gave me the nickname "BD" - aka Big Dave)- not because I was especially "big", just bigger than he was. Wayne was a tough character, with a great sense of humor. And a lightening-quick wit, really smart. Aside from the "stuff" we did, we worked together at Bonnie Briar CC and 7-Up. He eventually got his own truck/route at 7-Up, saved his money, then opened "Dudley's".(His brother Terry had married Polychron, who had inherited the marina from her parents). Wayne and I had many great times together, lots of fond memories.
Big D

United States

#3183 May 12, 2013
Fred H wrote:
Big D,
We must know each other or at least seen each other many times. My nickname was Buddy then even before Wayne’s nickname became Dudley. Dudley and his then wife and family stayed with us at our house in Boca Raton in the mid 70’s. My bar named the Ship Ahoy, sound familiar? was a few blocks away.
Wayne and I did many of the same things. I also had a Joyce 7up Company “Diet Rite Cola” route in Brooklyn after I got out of the USN in 1964. That was really good money then.
I visited with him at Dudz bar about 7 years ago. Time sure flys. Barry Smith, a friend of Noles, told me about a year ago Wayne was sick and his bar was closed. I tried to call him with no luck.
Sorry to hear of his passing.
<quoted text>
No doubt we met each other at some point, although your name doesn't ring a bell at the moment (which happens a lot lately). Wayne (never liked the nickname "Dudley") and I started to lose touch with each other in our later teens. As a result I barely knew his wife, much less his kids. We'd run into each other at places like the Thru-Way Diner, catch up on old times, then go our separate ways. But always with fond memories. I moved to Florida during the early 70's, so we saw each other even less. You may remember that Wayne's father died young - I believe he was in his early forties - also his brother Terry. Heart conditions. I worried that Wayne would go the same way, since the three of them were very similar physically. But I recall that he was on a heart medicine when we last visited. As it turned out, he did pretty well compared to his dad and brother Terry - lasting into his 70's. Not bad, all things considered. You may also recall that his brother Jay became a VP at 7-Up, the DC office. I went to grammar school (Holy Family) with all the 7-Up people, including the Mudd's, McCan's, Parilla's, and others. Good Catholics; big families!
If you happen to know Ronny Lalli, then you know what I look like; Ronny and I were often mistaken for each other during our teens - although we didn't know each at the time. When we finally did meet up, we shared a natural affinity because we looked so much alike, and because so many people thought I was him, and him me. The last time I saw Ronny he was a blackjack dealer (his dream job) in Caesar's Palace (Las Vegas). That would've been the later 70's. Anyway, though I'd mention it.
Big D

United States

#3184 May 12, 2013
Fred H wrote:
Big D,
...My bar named the Ship Ahoy, sound familiar?
<quoted text>
Btw, Fred, "Ship Ahoy" does sound familiar. Was it located on Shore Road, near Tuck-Tape? Or in Boca? I wasn't a bar person, so I'm not much of an expert. In fact, I was only in "Dudley's" twice, and Dud-Z's once - and on both occasions to visit Wayne.
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3185 May 13, 2013
Fred H wrote:
Big D,
<quoted text>
We gotta know each other also, I went to school with Barry, Mike Yamazzo, Joey Mueller, They had Biesgens?? Deli on corner of main and Div. around the corner from you.I drove for White Rock, with Tony Desanti.If you had to go, down them stairs and all the way down the hall,LOL
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3186 May 13, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank, do you remember Mike Ranilla? He used to drive for Sal LaPera - late 1950's. Mike and I were very good friends - grew up in the same neighborhood. Regarding Sal, he also ran an acting school out of his house (this was primarily after the cab business). During Christmas, Sal also played Santa Claus - including on local radio. And if I remember correctly, he played stand-in/stunt-man for Lee J. Cobb in the movie "On The Waterfront" (w/Marlon Brando)- Sal did the fight scenes. Sal was also a star football player (offensive lineman/tackle), he was an important part of NRHS’s unbeaten season, I think the year was 1933.
I also recall "your' White Tower very well - I lived nearby during the 60's.
We also must know each other, I remember Mike, also Johnny Rabius drove with us.I grew up working for Sal, when he was on Mechanic Street. next to Deluxe. He had a fleet of Chryslers. My job was was to wash and vacuum them every day after school. Then we'd go around the corner to Tony's to eat. Tommy Okeefe,was my uncle he drove a cab there also an Independent, His son had the gas station corner of echo and main. Sal lived on Woodbury. My wife lived one block over on Bayard. her father owned the bar there, also Hummels Tree Surgeons. My buddy Tony DeSanti lived off Petersville Rd. By the church. His family had the Ice Trucks, I'm sure some of you old timers remember them. Remember the Howard Johnson's between Main and Hougenot? How about Jonny Boy Ferrara.
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3187 May 13, 2013
Johnny " Boy" Ferara

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Westchester judge resigns after investigation (Jul '07) Thu operation gladio 9
News In Huffington Post Column, Mayor Bramson Imagin... Aug 24 333stenbrian 1
News NY Woman Arrested for Serial Fraud (Jun '14) Aug 20 peter becht 666 20
Growing up in Mamaroneck (Jan '06) Aug 18 joeypad 352
Gray Gables Theatre Workshop Aug 12 JoeWindow 1
Review: Shaun Levine Lcsw (Dec '15) Dec '15 Valley Indian 2
Game Between Ogdensburg Free Academy and Woodlands (Mar '15) Mar '15 BOO WOODLANDS 3

Hartsdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hartsdale Mortgages