New Rochelle Guy

Warwick, NY

#3147 Feb 15, 2013
Bayview wrote:
Yup...I got the news too last night about BS-SG HS. Makes me think even more about what New Rochelle Guy said about "character". Maple and Shea will never be the same, nor will New Rochelle. As a grad of BSHS in '74, I am very disappointed and feel empty about the whole thing.
Some people may say all that has happened to NR over the past few decades is progress and we just want to live in the past. I don't want to live in the past although I have fond memories, but what has happened to NR over the past few decades is not progress; it's decay...plain and simple.
<quoted text>
I made two good friends from BS...Johnny and Louis Maiola (not sure if I am spelling their names right)they lived at the bottom of Woodland ave near Circuit.....Johnny was a good guy...Louis was a wiseass....wonder what happened to them.
New Rochelle Guy

Warwick, NY

#3148 Feb 15, 2013
Jammahn wrote:
Blessed Sacrament...Mother Theresa....Dodge Ball..Football....Donuts at the Mayflower....Being able to walk to and fromm school...bookbags.... Leo's wedges....AHHHH...Shit!
Mayflower donut shop was great......I used to go with my grandmother to Schraffts on Main street next to Bloomingdales...good stuff.

Leo's was the hangout as well.
Frankie rat Nac

Columbia, MO

#3149 Feb 15, 2013
Rich Meyers wrote:
<quoted text> Do remember Joey. Ricky little newspaper shop next to the BS field was a small time bookie joint.Nice guy, friend of my step dad. Those were the days my friend. I thought they would never end.
His name was Ricky Rabasco,think his wife was Helen, a blonde
paulbel

North Vancouver, Canada

#3150 Feb 15, 2013
Across the street from Mayflower elementary school (as it was then, in the 50s, early 60s) was a candy store the kinds called "Erb's". I never knew it as anything other than Erb's. But looking back I figure it must have been "Irv's" or something like that. Never got a chance to go back and see for myself. Anyone know for sure?
Ms Creaturo

Alexandria, VA

#3151 Feb 17, 2013
Frankie Nac rat wrote:
I remember all but the rambler.Grew up on Main St. above Berger's.Nicknamed rat cause as kids we used to run the roof top's. Especially Maple to Center Ave.The other end of Hudson St. was where Librett's originally was. Anyone remember the little chicken place across from the back of the post office, on Houg.St..Rudy's original diner,Roger's bowling alley, on Main. Robert Halls. The Pepsi wharehouse just off Center. Ricky's candy and news on Center, also Talerini's ice cream,luncheonette, on Center where the buses stopped. Roach's around the corner, Dumont Television on Main also Kaplan's Florist next to Berger's. The Wedge Inn was next to the I H O P..John Lalli was the actual owner of the Lollipop. It used to be called The Stage Door..Remember the 10cent ice cream sandwiches at Woolwoth's. Mr Ennis was the traffic cop at Center&Main for many year's. He used to keep warm,or cool in Fanny Farmer's. Any one remember Charlie D'more, and Pete Creaturo, two of our early motorcycle cops., Or Tooty & Muldoone, " Colangelo,& Rosamundo, Two nice guy's that were cop's, Alway's gave the neighborhood kid's a break.. I digress, but N.R. was a great place to grow up..
Peter Creaturo was my grandfather. He died about 4 years ago. This was sooooo fascinating to read. And to hear my grandfathers name being mentioned was a jaw dropper. I would LOOOOOOVE to hear from anybody who knew my grandfather... Especially when he was a cop. U can post here or email me at Lahteehdah@gmail.com
Good Old Days

Crossville, TN

#3152 Feb 17, 2013
Ms Creaturo wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter Creaturo was my grandfather. He died about 4 years ago. This was sooooo fascinating to read. And to hear my grandfathers name being mentioned was a jaw dropper. I would LOOOOOOVE to hear from anybody who knew my grandfather... Especially when he was a cop. U can post here or email me at Lahteehdah@gmail.com
My wife remembers it as "Irv's"
Good Old Days

Crossville, TN

#3153 Feb 17, 2013
paulbel wrote:
Across the street from Mayflower elementary school (as it was then, in the 50s, early 60s) was a candy store the kinds called "Erb's". I never knew it as anything other than Erb's. But looking back I figure it must have been "Irv's" or something like that. Never got a chance to go back and see for myself. Anyone know for sure?
Sorry I replied at the wrong line...my wife remembers it as "Irv's"
Frankie rat Nac

Columbia, MO

#3154 Feb 18, 2013
Good Old Days wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I replied at the wrong line...my wife remembers it as "Irv's"
Was that the one in the apartments, corner of Treno,and North Ave??
Good Old Days

Crossville, TN

#3155 Feb 18, 2013
Frankie rat Nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that the one in the apartments, corner of Treno,and North Ave??
Yes..that was the one
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3156 Feb 19, 2013
Wrong!
Jakes was the candy/newspaper store on the corner of Treno and North Ave. A Barbershop was next door and the A&P was on the other side of Treno st.
Irvís was right across North Ave from Mayflower elementary school. Spent many hours in both stores in the late 40s and early 50s eating Penny candy, drinking 5 Cent soda pop and looking through magazines before they saw me and tossed me out. Irvís wife was the "Bouncer" in their store.
Those were the good ole days of a candy store almost on every block. Damn, How Time Flyís.
cdnrpd

Boynton Beach, FL

#3157 Feb 20, 2013
Frankie rat Nac wrote:
<quoted text>
His name was Ricky Rabasco,think his wife was Helen, a blonde
Ricky Rabasco was my uncle. He was married to my Aunt Helen, he had the College Stationary next to BS dust bowl until 1970 or so. Great man and unfortunately died very young,(58). His wife Helen is still alive living in the senior citizen apt's on Maple ave. They were great to me and my friends
Frankie Nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3159 Feb 20, 2013
cdnrpd wrote:
<quoted text>
Ricky Rabasco was my uncle. He was married to my Aunt Helen, he had the College Stationary next to BS dust bowl until 1970 or so. Great man and unfortunately died very young,(58). His wife Helen is still alive living in the senior citizen apt's on Maple ave. They were
to me and my friends
Helen and Ricky were great to me also. I didn't have a lot as a kid. He had me doing the sunday papers, during the week, putting the sections together. Also I used to take the empty Leewood soda bottles down the hole in the floor in back,to the basement.Then brink up full cases. stock the candy and gum, put the new comics in the racks. He always gave me something for helping him, also got to read all the comics in the phone booth. Once a day I'd take a brown bag over to Talerini's across main st.( number slips lol ) He had that beat up cream convertible, always parked out front. If you talk to Helen see if she remembers me Frankie. I used to see them walking the poodle down by the castle on Glen Island, after he gave up the store. Great People.. The penny candy used to be in that store prior to Ricky buying it, then it was called Henry's. He had a heart attack. On sunday going to 8:00 mass we used to spend 2cents of the nickle on candy we put in the basket, Kids!!
Matty OT

Boca Raton, FL

#3160 Feb 21, 2013
For some reason ,I remember the candy store next to the dust bowl being called Elmer's....anybody remember that??? Probably from 1966-1970's. I remember the penny candy ... you could get a toothache for a nickel!!
curious

Poughkeepsie, NY

#3161 Feb 24, 2013
Anyone remember "Murf the Surf" Murphy? He would
go around town picking up cans. He seemed to have disappeared in the 90's.
franki nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3162 Feb 24, 2013
Ms Creaturo wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter Creaturo was my grandfather. He died about 4 years ago. This was sooooo fascinating to read. And to hear my grandfathers name being mentioned was a jaw dropper. I would LOOOOOOVE to hear from anybody who knew my grandfather... Especially when he was a cop. U can
post here or email me at Lahteehdah@gmail.com
I sent you my info for contact about your grand father, haven't heard from you. Is this correct e-mail?? Frankie Nac Rat
Rich Meyers

Katonah, NY

#3163 Feb 24, 2013
Bill Day wrote:
Hey Dam Yankee I used to work at the Yellow Submarine on Main Street. What will you have, a
Depth Charger, a Torpedo, or my favorite,
The Captain's Special?
DUKE RODGERS?
New Rochelle Guy

Warwick, NY

#3164 Mar 22, 2013
curious wrote:
Skinny guy with blond hair always smiling??????
Rich Meyers

Katonah, NY

#3165 Mar 22, 2013
curious wrote:
he is gone now. we use to say he was into precious metals.
curious

Poughkeepsie, NY

#3166 Mar 23, 2013
Rich,do you mean he passed away? If so--when?
curious

Poughkeepsie, NY

#3167 Mar 23, 2013
New Rochelle Guy--Murf looked like Bob Denver from Gillians Island. Had a lot of good stories.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Rochelle Mayor Announces City, School Distr... 4 hr 333wstenbrian 1
brian sten Fri 333stenbrian 1
If Black women are so ugly, why do other women ... (Apr '11) Dec 23 Benet 3
Ray Rice -- Charity Blitzkrieg ... In Image Mak... Dec 23 333stenbrian 1
New Rochelle man charged with assaulting State ... Dec 22 333stenbrian 1
Jared Rice Promoting Anti-Police March Sunday N... Dec 21 333stenbrian 1
On This Day: Malcolm X Assassinated (Feb '09) Nov '14 Mujahid 46

Hartsdale News Video

Hartsdale Dating
Find my Match