McCain, Obama Clash On Taxes And Comb...

McCain, Obama Clash On Taxes And Combating Financial Crisis

There are 99 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 8, 2008, titled McCain, Obama Clash On Taxes And Combating Financial Crisis. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - - John McCain and Barack Obama battled repeatedly Tuesday night over the causes of the economic meltdown that has shaken the country, and offered sharply contrasting prescriptions for how to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Repeat after me

Naugatuck, CT

#1 Oct 8, 2008
"Democratic Landslide"
HC Here

Arlington, VA

#2 Oct 8, 2008
The debate was pretty even. I have a few odds and ends.

1.) Obama said teachers making $25K to $30K can't tighten their belts. Unless they were forced to become teachers, why shouldn't they be expected to make sacrifices too? I didn't ask them to become a teacher in a low paying job. Further, how many teachers make $25,000 in this country? I thought their unions got them more than that. If not, those making $25K may wish to consider another line of work or improving their skills enough to move to a better school system, if money is a problem. If you made the decision to take a low paying job, you CAN still tighten your belt and sacrifice. Don't expect others to sacrifice to accomodate your life choices.

2.) Obama said energy has been a problem for 30 years and McCain has been there for 26 of those years. How long has Obama's running mate Biden been there, and what has he done about it? Obama has been against offshore drilling and nuclear all along. I don't believe a word when he says he is now for it. Obama can say anything now and issue an executive order banning such measures once he takes office.

3.) MSNBC, and Chris Matthews in particular, were over the top again in their bias for Obama. Matthews was so infuriated over the "that one" reference that he could never bring himself to cite what McCain was talking about in referencing Obama as "that one". Again, MSNBC doesn't care about the facts - just smearing McCain and trying to make everything have racial overtones. Matthews acted childishly when, in a post-debate interview, a Republican told Matthews he could read his mind. Matthews has no problem of claiming an ability to read McCain's mind and assert McCain was making a racial slur. Shame on Matthews for being such a hypocrite.

4.) Listen to the caliber of an Obama supporter by listening to the NPR post-debate show. One caller said we should go back to the 70's when cars were more fuel efficient and smaller. Really? Another caller said Obama had a more worldly perspective, but when asked to explain what he meant, could not elaborate. You don't explain how one is "more worldly" by repeating "he is more worldly". These Obama folks are just robots spouting phrases and bits and pieces they hear without thinking what those things mean.

5.) To the 78 year old woman who said no one is sacrificing, I didn't hear her volunteer to sacrifice something. How about 25% of her social security? I bet she has no problem asking OTHERS to sacrifice.

6.) The Democrats keep harping on golden parachutes. Is that the only problem? Why didn't Obama mention the reckless policies Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae managers (all Democrats) pursued to give poor and minorities housing they could never afford as bad social engineering the Democrats should never have forced on society. If you add up the number of bad loans made to poor and minorities, I am sure that exceeds the parachute given CEO's. Again, the Democrats won't discuss how to fix the problem - just play class warfare. Everything will be better when we make those CEO's pay up, eh?
HC Here

Arlington, VA

#3 Oct 8, 2008
Repeat after me wrote:
"Democratic Landslide"
Democrats, repeat after obama:
God [email protected] America - God [email protected] America. Tax Tax Tax - invade Pakistan - invade Pakistan - troops in Darfur - troops in Darfur - God [email protected] America - terrorists good, America evil - terrorists good, America evil - tax tax tax -
What

United States

#4 Oct 8, 2008
The gap widens. Obama in the lead. McCain said he was going to take the gloves off.....well he must have put mittens on. He didn't land any punches. His "that one" reference to Obama showed his frustration. As did his immediate departure following the debate. McCain has yet to bring any substance. And Palin is doing nothing but acting like a old school politician.....when you lack substance attempt to smear the competition by distorting fact. It's almost humorous. I'm glad this one is almost over.
What

United States

#5 Oct 8, 2008
Your understanding of Obama's positions is so out of whack its comical. Are you Palin?
HC Here wrote:
<quoted text>
God [email protected] America - God [email protected] America. Tax Tax Tax - invade Pakistan - invade Pakistan - troops in Darfur - troops in Darfur - God [email protected] America - terrorists good, America evil - terrorists good, America evil - tax tax tax -
Kkat

Clockville, NY

#6 Oct 8, 2008
HC Here wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering if we watched the same debate? Obama never said he was just going to go in and invade Pakistan. He said if Bin Laden was there and they did nothing, he would take action. Wasn't that the point of King Bush's reason to go into Iran? But that truth doesn't suit you right now I suppose. And Darfur, do you really think we should stand by and do nothing while hundreds of thousands are being killed by genocide? I am appaled that as of today we and the United Nations have done nothing!
Shoreliner

Branford, CT

#7 Oct 8, 2008
Repeat after me wrote:
"Democratic Landslide"
You better hope not.

Depending on whom you speak with, the depth of the current downturn in America's ranges from a mild recession to depression.

BHO's plan to raise taxes and expand government during a period of economic weakness has been tried before with not much success.

Over the last 10 years, many historians have concluded that FDR's 'New Deal' actually prolonged the Great Depression not end it.

http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-...

Please tell me how BHO is different from FDR?

He is not.

BHO is void of any new political/policy thoughts. He is just the latest of incarnation of a tax and spend Democrat.

If you think things are bad in the U.S. now, just wait until BHO tries to expand government and raise taxes. Hopefully, he will not have that opportunity.
Larry

AOL

#8 Oct 8, 2008
Wow, are all these posts from the spin room? The sad thing is one of the two will be President. Yeah, sure the economy is tough but I am glad they agree on Israel. My kids can starve but as long as we support Israel unconditionaly, I can sleep.
GEO

United States

#10 Oct 8, 2008
Shoreliner wrote:
<quoted text>
You better hope not.
Depending on whom you speak with, the depth of the current downturn in America's ranges from a mild recession to depression.
BHO's plan to raise taxes and expand government during a period of economic weakness has been tried before with not much success.
Over the last 10 years, many historians have concluded that FDR's 'New Deal' actually prolonged the Great Depression not end it.
http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-...
Please tell me how BHO is different from FDR?
He is not.
BHO is void of any new political/policy thoughts. He is just the latest of incarnation of a tax and spend Democrat.
If you think things are bad in the U.S. now, just wait until BHO tries to expand government and raise taxes. Hopefully, he will not have that opportunity.
Are we not overtaxed already? I find it hard to beleave Obama will just tax 5% of Americans to give it to everyone else. The wealthy already know how to use tax shelters and Obama will be up aginst a wall fighting the very powerful in this country. They help their own!
GEO

United States

#11 Oct 8, 2008
What wrote:
The gap widens. Obama in the lead. McCain said he was going to take the gloves off.....well he must have put mittens on. He didn't land any punches. His "that one" reference to Obama showed his frustration. As did his immediate departure following the debate. McCain has yet to bring any substance. And Palin is doing nothing but acting like a old school politician.....when you lack substance attempt to smear the competition by distorting fact. It's almost humorous. I'm glad this one is almost over.
Hey I herd exactly what you just wrote on an Anti American radio broadcast. You need to start listening to some music.
GEO

United States

#12 Oct 8, 2008
What wrote:
Your understanding of Obama's positions is so out of whack its comical. Are you Palin?
<quoted text>
I agree with you, Obamas positions are clearly to Take away from the Upper middleclass and give more entitlements to the poor. As far as most other positions Obama is just penciling in the Democratic stance right down the line.
Nino Brown

Guilford, CT

#13 Oct 8, 2008
It looks like no matter WHO wins ..... WE LOSE !!!! Time for a new party ....one that represents the PEOPLE
Shoreliner

Branford, CT

#14 Oct 8, 2008
GEO wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we not overtaxed already? I find it hard to beleave Obama will just tax 5% of Americans to give it to everyone else. The wealthy already know how to use tax shelters and Obama will be up aginst a wall fighting the very powerful in this country. They help their own!
Your post is well-taken.

- 38% of existing taxpayers currently pay no Federal tax at all.
- Under BHO's plan, this group would still pay no tax but also get a 'refund' check from the Government - I call it a hand out
- BHO plans to raise the dividends and capital gains taxes regardless of income; this will hurt all Americans as 401K results will be adversely impacted
- C-corps pay a maximum effective tax rate of 35% under BHO's plan; S-corps (small businesses) could pay an effective tax rate of up to 62% under BHO's plan as net income from these companies is treated as ordinary income
- As far as the tax shelters you noted that are available to the rich, unless you are referring to offshore schemes, most of these tax shelters were eliminated by the TRA of 1986 and any deductions that still remain are taxed due to the AMT.
GEO

United States

#15 Oct 8, 2008
Nino Brown wrote:
It looks like no matter WHO wins ..... WE LOSE !!!! Time for a new party ....one that represents the PEOPLE
Thats been my feeling years ago when I started noticing that both partys keep the people divided in order to keep them both in Power.
Ordinary Citizen

Bloomfield, CT

#16 Oct 8, 2008
Obama's a cheap hired thug from Chicago. Check into his affiliation with ACORN and Ayers..... There are no such things as coincidences in politics...

http://www.justsaynodeal.com/acorn

“Say it ain't so, gotcha media”

Since: Oct 08

Weasella, AK

#18 Oct 8, 2008
All this ugliness, we should all take a minute to pray. Please lord allow god's will to take place, no melanin endowed people in the White house.
MsRotten

AOL

#19 Oct 8, 2008
Obama/Biden = 3
McCain/Palin = 0

I'm voting for "That One"!
MsRotten

AOL

#20 Oct 8, 2008
HC Here wrote:
<quoted text>
You want your "godDamned America"?? Well, then, you should just LOVE the Palin's Party, the Alaska Independence Party (AIP) and their Founders message. Their motto is "Alaska First, Alaska Always". Just a few quotes from Founder Joe Vogler...
Im an Alaskan, not an American. Ive got no use for America or her damned institutions.

The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government. And I wont be buried under their damn flag. Ill be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home.

http://morosehellhole.blogspot.com/search/lab ...

So who are these America-haters that the Palins are pallin' around with?

Before his strange murder in 1993, party founder Vogler preached armed insurrection against the United States of America. Vogler, who always carried a Magnum with him, was fond of saying, "When the [federal] bureaucrats come after me, I suggest they wear red coats. They make better targets. In the federal government are the biggest liars in the United States, and I hate them with a passion. They think they own [Alaska]. There comes a time when people will choose to die with honor rather than live with dishonor. That time may be coming here. Our goal is ultimate independence by peaceful means under a minimal government fully responsive to the people. I hope we don't have to take human life, but if they go on tramping on our property rights, look out, we're ready to die."

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2008/10/ ...

Since: May 08

Weatogue, CT

#21 Oct 8, 2008
Mavericky wrote:
All this ugliness, we should all take a minute to pray. Please lord allow god's will to take place, no melanin endowed people in the White house.
If you registered on Topix simply to make a fool of yourself... congratulations, you win.
tko

Pahoa, HI

#22 Oct 8, 2008
Ordinary Citizen wrote:
Obama's a cheap hired thug from Chicago. Check into his affiliation with ACORN and Ayers..... There are no such things as coincidences in politics...
http://www.justsaynodeal.com/acorn
you go from forum to forum with this baloney. If you have a point, would you please just make it, minus the histrionics and "links."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Julia 1,616,836
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr John-K 318,257
"OX" cover band from the 70s. (Oct '10) 3 hr kdkapitt 21
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Pedro 21,284
News Two Charged In Connection With Bloomfield Murder (Mar '09) Sun Law school gradua... 27
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Oct 12 Armson 64,003
Why are puerto ricans so lazy & don't work? (Nov '13) Oct 10 Prison Pete 17

Hartford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages