Teens Arrested After Fight

Teens Arrested After Fight

There are 39 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 9, 2008, titled Teens Arrested After Fight. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Police said they arrested two teenagers for fighting at the end of a basketball game at East Hartford High School Tuesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Another Mother

United States

#1 Jan 9, 2008
It is sad to see that these kids had to fight after a basketball game. I hate to see these things happen and ruin the good times. Who won the game and was the fight about that? I can't believe the kid got tazered though.
Rule_Of_Law

Newington, CT

#2 Jan 9, 2008
Two teens hurting each other but not a threat to others. How does this come to involve a police dog and a Taser. These should only be used when someone not involved is in imminent threat of injury. Such a strong police response is awfully Orwellian. These two teens should not be under threat of more severe injury from the government then they inflicted on each other. Show me the law that allows this level of response.
msrp

Durham, CT

#3 Jan 9, 2008
Rule_Of_Law wrote:
Two teens hurting each other but not a threat to others. How does this come to involve a police dog and a Taser. These should only be used when someone not involved is in imminent threat of injury. Such a strong police response is awfully Orwellian. These two teens should not be under threat of more severe injury from the government then they inflicted on each other. Show me the law that allows this level of response.
Because if the police didnt immediately stop the fight and one of them got seriously hurt by the other one they would have sued the police for failing to act. Next time the two will stop fighting when ordered to. Get a clue and stop bashing the police or if you think you can do better join them.
Blutarski

West Hartford, CT

#4 Jan 9, 2008
Rule_Of_Law wrote:
Pro-Cop or Anti-Cop, nobody likes a Monday morning Quarterback.
John

Newington, CT

#5 Jan 9, 2008
More cop bashers. You fight in public, you disobey police presence and orders, you get to face the consequences. This article is nearly that, an article. It's not a five page police report where the incident was detailed. There were hundreds of witnesses, I'm sure the police did what they had to do. Good, it will make them think a little clearer next time they want to act like idiots in public.
John B

Greenfield, MA

#6 Jan 9, 2008
msrp wrote:
<quoted text>
Because if the police didnt immediately stop the fight and one of them got seriously hurt by the other one they would have sued the police for failing to act. Next time the two will stop fighting when ordered to. Get a clue and stop bashing the police or if you think you can do better join them.
Well put msrp but will probably fall on deaf ears on two posters who have no clue what happens when a fight like this erupts, and what the police have to do to stop it - prevent others from being hurt (including themselves), and cannot realize the level of danger to anyone in the vicinity as this happens. I can guarantee you that there was a good-sized crowd circling the fighters, cheering one or the other on, and that both 'kids' resisted the police when separated.
David Miller

United States

#7 Jan 9, 2008
Criticize the police for stopping the fight but don't place any blame on the two idiots fighting. Yup our society is doomed.
Stop the Madness

Durham, CT

#8 Jan 9, 2008
Bravo police. Who knows if one or both of these kids had a knife or gun. I am glad the police interevened and did what they had to do to stop the situation and protect innocent bystanders. Stop bashing the police until you do their jobs for a day. The level of scum, trash and losers they have to put up with must be overwhelming.
Mr E

Andover, CT

#9 Jan 9, 2008
Rule_Of_Law wrote:
Hmm...well, lets see, not complying, a large gathering, to name 2 things. If none of us were there, its hard to know exactly what happened. First and foremost, the dogs are used for intimidation. Unless someone has brains in their rear end, a growling, barking Shepherd is usually enough to keep everyone in check.
David Miller

United States

#10 Jan 9, 2008
Rule_Of_Law wrote:
I suggest you check the Connecticut General Statutes as well as U.S. code.

A tazer has never been found to have caused a death. Do some research on the topic. Don't let the media control your mind.
Disturbed

Colchester, CT

#11 Jan 9, 2008
msrp wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a clue and stop bashing the police or if you think you can do better join them.
Apparently you have no clue as there was a very recent FEDERAL case that ruled that POLICE are NOT negligent in failing to provide protection for "civilians". This is just another lame excuse for the police and boosts their self-image of a para-military organization. Truth is - most police are too cowardice to join a real military organization and put their lives on the line in a real world environment where the enemy is trained and has equal weaponry. Again - MOST police officers ... I have friends in blue that fully agree with me on this - and yes, I'm retired military - so I can talk because I've been there.
Heather of Collinsville

West Hartford, CT

#12 Jan 9, 2008
msrp wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent response!
High School Parent

South Windsor, CT

#13 Jan 9, 2008
Police don't taser for no good reason. Im sure these two skumbags deserved it. It's funny how the cops cant win either way. Damned if they do and damned if they dont. All I know is, I can almost see the mom of the tasered boy, flipping thru the yellow pages for an attorney....cha ching!! Worthless bunch.
A Mom

Broad Brook, CT

#14 Jan 9, 2008
I would much rather see a fist fight with teens then pulling guns on each other. The problem now a days people don't know how to just have a good ole fashion fight.
David Miller

United States

#15 Jan 9, 2008
High School Parent wrote:
Police don't taser for no good reason. Im sure these two skumbags deserved it. It's funny how the cops cant win either way. Damned if they do and damned if they dont. All I know is, I can almost see the mom of the tasered boy, flipping thru the yellow pages for an attorney....cha ching!! Worthless bunch.
Just because you get the taser does not mean you have a law suit. A justified taser use is no different than use of pepper spray, baton, or firearm. Justified is justified. I've been tasered and pepper sprayed and I would take the taser any day. Spray can hurt for hours. Taser is over in seconds.
anon

Broad Brook, CT

#16 Jan 9, 2008
Rule_Of_Law wrote:
The days of cops rolling around on the deck with skells are over. They now have the tools to immediately stop a disturbance without getting their hands dirty and their bodies maimed. Technology is good.
GMan

Broad Brook, CT

#17 Jan 9, 2008
Disturbed wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you have no clue as there was a very recent FEDERAL case that ruled that POLICE are NOT negligent in failing to provide protection for "civilians". This is just another lame excuse for the police and boosts their self-image of a para-military organization. Truth is - most police are too cowardice to join a real military organization and put their lives on the line in a real world environment where the enemy is trained and has equal weaponry. Again - MOST police officers ... I have friends in blue that fully agree with me on this - and yes, I'm retired military - so I can talk because I've been there.
C' mon..........we all know that most of the military non-com's who were lifers are misfits. Couldn't make it in our society alone without the military watching over them. Not much different than the ex-cons walking the streets. What do they call it? Institutionalization?(sp)
David Miller

United States

#18 Jan 9, 2008
Disturbed wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think like that then you are clearly lying about having "friends in blue." Saying you have friends that are cops doesn't give any credibility to your ignorant opinions. A large ammount of cops are prior military. What do you do for work by the way?
so sad

Enfield, CT

#19 Jan 9, 2008
should just let the kids fight until one of them die..... right?
Disturbed wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow

Enfield, CT

#20 Jan 9, 2008
They shouldnt be fighting at a darn basketball game, where there are families and little children. That is very unacceptable, and those two boys should be arrested. Have more respect for others and control your anger. I don't even want to go to those games if this type of drama goes down; I would never imagine this type of behavior in my town. So sad. And, the police are being bashed for stopping up the fight using a taser? You don't know if this kid had a knife? These angry kids don't value life anymore, that is why we have tasers available....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min AmericaTRUMPEDign... 1,458,128
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 16 min YIM 7,942
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 55 min Mothra 62,312
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr south amboy 20,699
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr NYStateOfMind 312,667
News Memorable Nights At The Shaboo -- Courant.com (Aug '07) 8 hr ShaBOO 155
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Ize Found 71,233

Hartford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages