Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1070802 Jan 29, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>And yet, Arizona already has its death panels implemented.
poor baby. you're so lost!!!1
yes yes MEDICAID patients who think they should be treated the same as a working person. They want free 'healthcare'--and by gosh they are all signing up for MEDICAID across the country, thanks to O'bama and his care--won't they be surprised. O'bamacare is eugenics.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1070803 Jan 29, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the answer isn't more workers for jobs that don't exist, but rather controlling benefits and working longer to change the ratio...
lol, sending our illegals to Russia could kill two birds with one stone.

Ooops, we're supposed to like Russia now, aren't we?

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1070804 Jan 29, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't. I blamed the recession on both sides. Just mostly Democrats for putting up the most resistance to Bush's warnings about the impending housing market crisis if Congress didn't rein in F&F and because the Democrats had control of the purse strings two years preceding the recession.
Obama didn't help the recession by spiking up the deficit to major proportions and, when the reality of Obamacare sinks in after March 31, he will be blamed by many for making it much worse.
Carol, quit lying.

Get better informed.

Your posts are full of untruths.

It is senseless to argue anything because you just ignore the truth & post you exact same baloney.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1070805 Jan 29, 2014
ptbw forever wrote:
<quoted text>
Swallowing leftist bullshit whole day after day is not thinking for yourself.
I don't even have to guess where you stand on any major political issues because every leftist drone not only believes the same things as the next, but they also "evolve" on issues at the same time to collectively become more radical overnight.
Do you idiots even understand how ridiculous it is for a Democrat president in the 90s to sign laws like "Don't ask. Don't Tell" and then have the entire fucking party running on pro-same sex marriage policies not even 10 years later? Why didn't progressives have a pro-same sex marriage stance 100 years ago? Supposedly you all are so smart, but your supposed progressive brethren from the past rejected 90% of the policies that the average Democrat of today believes are just common sense. How does that work?
It's nice of you to share your hateful stupidity with us.

Because we all appreciate a view into the mind of a crazy person.

Some questions for you.

Why wasn't slavery ended in 1865??

Why was there no Federal Income Tax until 1913??

Why didn't women have the right to vote until 1919??

Why wasn't 'one nation, under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954??

Why weren't Civil Rights Laws passed until 1964??

----------

Because we, as a society, are evolving. DUH

You, OTOH, are a dumb racist, posing as a 24 year old, while the obvious truth is that you're an old racist white fart who is stuck in the 1950's, and filled with stupidity and blind hatred..

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1070806 Jan 29, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what Carol has done for 5 years.
Post pure lies, then run away from them when challenged.
She'll come back with the same lies within a week.
That's how "Conservative Christians" roll.
It really seems like lying offends you.

Did Obama lie when he said he was born in Kenya? Or, did Obama lie when he said he was born in Hawaii?

Why did Obama lie for two weeks covering up the Al Qaeda attack on the United States in Benghazi?

Why did Hillary lie to Congress? Why did Hillary lie to Ty Wood's father?

Why did Eric Holder lie to Congress?

Why do you regurgitate every lie that comes out of this administration?

Location hidden

#1070807 Jan 29, 2014
The Proposed Republican Replacement For ObamaCare Is A Big Tax Hike

Yesterday, three Republican Senators — Tom Coburn (Okla.), Richard Burr (N.C.), and Orrin Hatch (Utah)– put forward a plan to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare. They call it the Patient CARE Act, and my colleague Avik Roy says it is “the most credible plan yet” offered by the GOP.

Except the Coburn-Burr-Hatch plan (read it here) amounts, among other things, to a big tax increase. The main way that it remains budget neutral is by making employer-provided health insurance plans, which are currently not taxed, partially taxable as income. In fact, this income replaces income that, under ObamaCare, comes from taxing companies, including the tax on medical device companies paid by firms like Medtronic MDT -0.51% and Stryker SYK -0.25%.

This fact has not escaped the notice of some prominent health reform allies.“It is a huge tax increase on workers without any confidence that they will be able to afford health insurance in the future,” says Bob Kocher, a partner at venture capital firm Venrock who previously worked in the Obama administration.

It is “essentially a very large Republican tax increase,” says Ezekiel Emanuel, the Diane V.S. Levy and Robert M. Levy University Professor of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania and another former Obama advisor.“It’s quite clear the plan is to put a bigger burden on middle class Americans.”

Here’s what the Senators propose: right now, health insurance is not taxed as income. This is arguably the original sin of the U.S. healthcare system, which has insulated consumers from health costs and allowed prices to skyrocket. During World War II, wages were frozen but pensions and benefits were exempted; in 1943 the Internal Revenue Service ruled that these benefits weren’t taxable, either.

Many health economists believe this is a bad thing, because it shields people from paying their own premiums, and Coburn, Burr, and Hatch deserve credit for tackling this head on. But that doesn’t make this any more politically workable – or appealing to those of us who get health insurance through our employers.

"" http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/201 ...

----------

where's fatass Carol??

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1070808 Jan 29, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Charter schools are a joke. Who the heck believes that all the kids that go to them suddenly become brilliant? Really?
Turning public money over to private "entity" is a mistake. Especially one that discriminates against weak students, English-language learners and students with disabilities so they can keep their test scores high. It's a farce.

Funny how charter schools are "public" when it is time to claim public funding, but they have claimed in federal court and before the National Labor Relations Board to be private corporations when their employees seek the protection of state labor laws.

"A L.A. charter with 1,200 students was convicted of misappropriating more than $200,000 in public funds. In Oakland, an audit at the highest-performing charter schools in the state found that $3.8 million may have been misused when the founder hired his other businesses to do work for his charters."

"In Los Altos, a group of wealthy people opened a boutique charter school for their own children. Parents are asked to donate $5,000 per child each year. Local public school parents consider the charter to be an elite private school, albeit one primarily funded with public dollars."

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/01/opini...
ptbw forever

Louisville, KY

#1070809 Jan 29, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
I kicked you to the curb a week ago, racist punk.
Right when I proved you don't know the meaning of 'diversity'.
ROFLMAO!!
I really hope you don't consider yourself as any kind of intellectual...or your party is in more trouble than even I thought.

di·ver·si·ty
noun \d&#601;-&#712;v&# 601;r-s&#601;-t&#275;, d&#299;-\

: the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc.(using the global model is just fine here, and it actually makes much more sense than a local or national level because you are ultimately just destroying whatever the local or national identity is and putting in more of the same from other parts of the world, that is just destroying diversity)

: the state of having people who are different races or who have different cultures in a group or organization(the globe is a mandatory group or organization in which all sub-groups have power and influence, so it is the absolute best standard for diversity)

You can call me as many names as you want, because I am still going to continue taking your undereducated ass back to school regardless.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1070810 Jan 29, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
He championed coal for year on this thread. Till I embarrassed himso badly he just stopped talking about coal. Period. Now he's all about nat. gas, which I had told him would destroy the coal markets. Which has happened.
Nobraina has a proxy in CA.. He's actually located in coal country, PA.
He makes a fool of himself everytime energy is discussed.
I beat him about the head so badly he stopped responding to me a couple of years ago, stole my former screenname, accused me of being someone called Demos, whose screenname he also stole..
He's as crazy as Carol, they're two of the originals here.
Nobraina insults Carol, but Carol sucks up to him nonetheless. It's that 'us conservs gots to sticks togethers'!!
"if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them"
Barack Obama

Location hidden

#1070811 Jan 29, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
wood-burning stoves or fireplaces are prime contributors to air pollution....
Now you believe in air pollution??

Aren't you the nitwit who hates the EPA for trying to control air pollution??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Next Nobraina will believe in climate change!!

these nitwits often get trapped in their own flip-flop stupidity.

Esp. Nobraina.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1070812 Jan 29, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"I think it's time to give America a raise!" - The Poseur in Chief speaking at Costco.
How generous of him...like that money is coming out of his own personal bank account. Wow, how benevolent of him since it costs him absolutely nothing to jabber on acting like he's doing anything positive for the poor. Rent is the first thing to go up after an increase of the minimum wage. Landlords can't stand the thought that any surplus of income might make into the pockets of anybody but themselves.
As IF it will improve anybody's life economically. Every time the minimum wage is raised the cost of living also goes up. There is no winning for all the losing concerning those at or below the poverty level, at least not legally.
We all know that merchants always find a way to make up for the hit that a raise for everybody costs them. Walmart is the most obviously notorious because they have so many employees.
It's a feel good load of crap. It's not about helping the poor. It's about taxes. Raise the minimum wage and as you say it will zero out. What won't zero out is the increase in withholding taxes that are paid. It's all about more money for the government.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1070813 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Lois thinks that the POTUS could smoke without the world finding out...shows how little she knows about the real world...
she amazes me constantly by proving how willing she is to suspend reality for her wished for fantasy world...
If he did quit smoking, it was fairly recently. That means he smoked during his entire first term. But did you ever see him holding a cigarette? They kept it out of the public eye.

No one ever knew Jackie Kennedy Onassis was a fairly heavy smoker too. They just made sure the public never saw her smoking.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1070814 Jan 29, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Cold in Russia during the winter, hmm let me think...
You do realize they are in the same hemisphere yes?
You sound like you would be making the same mistake as the Germans in WWII and Napoleon before them.
I've stated my case regarding global warming/cooling on many occasions.
Cold in Russia during winter. Cold in Europe during winter. Cold in North America during winter.
... hmmmmm. I'm thinking that means the globe isn't warming.

So, please tell how the Earth getting cooler is evidence of the Earth getting warmer, moron.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1070815 Jan 29, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
more of the DemoKKKrat war on straight white women.....
only blacks and lesbians need apply....
That'll change soon enough when Mexico takes over Capitol Hill.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when some illegal with a second grade education wipes the smirk off Pelosi's hideous mug. The cow will finally get what's coming to her when the results of supporting open immigration hit a little closer to home.
Telegram Sam

Great Neck, NY

#1070816 Jan 29, 2014
[QUOTE who="Nuculur option"----------where's fatass Carol??[/QUOTE]

No doubt off preparing a large, fattening, unhealthy afternoon snack and washing it down with a jumbo sized pepsi !!!

Location hidden

#1070817 Jan 29, 2014
The Proposed Republican Replacement For ObamaCare Is A Big Tax Hike

Yesterday, three Republican Senators — Tom Coburn (Okla.), Richard Burr (N.C.), and Orrin Hatch (Utah)– put forward a plan to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare. They call it the Patient CARE Act, and my colleague Avik Roy says it is “the most credible plan yet” offered by the GOP.

Except the Coburn-Burr-Hatch plan (read it here) amounts, among other things, to a big tax increase. The main way that it remains budget neutral is by making employer-provided health insurance plans, which are currently not taxed, partially taxable as income. In fact, this income replaces income that, under ObamaCare, comes from taxing companies, including the tax on medical device companies paid by firms like Medtronic MDT -0.51% and Stryker SYK -0.25%.

This fact has not escaped the notice of some prominent health reform allies.“It is a huge tax increase on workers without any confidence that they will be able to afford health insurance in the future,” says Bob Kocher, a partner at venture capital firm Venrock who previously worked in the Obama administration.

It is “essentially a very large Republican tax increase,” says Ezekiel Emanuel, the Diane V.S. Levy and Robert M. Levy University Professor of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania and another former Obama advisor.“It’s quite clear the plan is to put a bigger burden on middle class Americans.”

Here’s what the Senators propose: right now, health insurance is not taxed as income. This is arguably the original sin of the U.S. healthcare system, which has insulated consumers from health costs and allowed prices to skyrocket. During World War II, wages were frozen but pensions and benefits were exempted; in 1943 the Internal Revenue Service ruled that these benefits weren’t taxable, either.

Many health economists believe this is a bad thing, because it shields people from paying their own premiums, and Coburn, Burr, and Hatch deserve credit for tackling this head on. But that doesn’t make this any more politically workable – or appealing to those of us who get health insurance through our employers.

"" http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/201 ...

----------

where's fattie Carol??

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1070818 Jan 29, 2014
John Galt wrote:
stock market gives Obama a big "thumbs down"...
realizes the government is run by a clown...
Only an idiot like you would believe that the current fluctuations in the stock market has anything to do with Obama.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1070819 Jan 29, 2014
A North Carolina police officer was indicted in the shooting death of an unarmed man who had crashed his car after prosecutors presented the case to a second grand jury.

Police Officer Randall Kerrick was indicted Monday on one count of voluntary manslaughter, reported the Charlotte Observer, just one week after a previous grand jury declined to indict him on voluntary manslaughter in the Sept. 14 shooting death of Jonathan Ferrell.

The officer shot the former Florida A&M football player 10 times after Ferrell crashed into a tree and sought help at a nearby home.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/29/grand-j...
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Palm Coast, FL

#1070820 Jan 29, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
Jerry Springer sat down with HuffPost Live on Tuesday, questioning why the public holds any hatred toward President Barack Obama.
Springer, who is hosting a new Discovery Channel series called "TABLOID," argued that "we have built such disrespect for the president" -- a thought that is unacceptable in his mind.
"Why would you ever hate Barack Obama?," Springer asked. "You may not like his policies. You may say 'respectfully sir, I disagree. I'm going to vote this way or I want that.' But is there a human being on the planet Earth that wouldn't want Barack Obama as a son? I mean look at what this young man has achieved, and what he's done on his own, and how he's become this great leader."
Springer has expressed similar support for Obama in the past. Back in July 2012, during the heat of Obama's reelection campaign, the longtime Democratic supporter described the president as "truly exceptional."
“He’s so competent and so smart, I just don't see why we wouldn't want him for four more years as president," Springer said at the time
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/jerr...
You must be drunker than usual ... quoting Jerry Springer ... Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1070821 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the air around my home is far, far far cleaner than the air around yours...
i have a very efficient stove.
are you saying we should regulate air pollution?
air pollution is already regulated and reasonable air quality standards are being met....

but carbon dioxide emissions are not air pollution...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr John-K 309,688
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 52,866
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Cold Front 69,707
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Chuck 19,852
News Bradley International Airport seen as possible ... Apr 24 Larry 1
News Memorable Nights At The Shaboo -- Courant.com (Aug '07) Apr 22 KM Philcox 148
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Apr 21 Schmones 17
More from around the web

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]