Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1480103 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1070942 Jan 29, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not; redneck is a term of endearment and you sickos love to call yourselves rednecks; there's nothing racist about it. There's no such thing as racism against whites you fuggn nutcase.
"silly"
According to Webster;
redneck - a member of the Southern rural laboring class.
You consider that definition a term of endearment?
Peace
KMA
ptbw forever

Georgetown, IN

#1070943 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't believe that 24 year old story for a minute.
I know, because 24 year old people are supposed to be too stoned, and too stupid from watching MTV to have political convictions that are actually grounded in the most solid principles.

I love how terrified I make you feel knowing there is a very intelligent and very passionate young person who vehemently opposes pretty much everything you have been taught to never question, and the best part is that you know your own children have absolutely no chance against me.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1070944 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and here yo could have countered with some facts or cogent statement...yet all you gave me was that crap..
i think you clearly proved what you are...pathetic.
run along now...
So, I'm supposed to "counter" your insulting rant on Lois with cogent "facts" relevant to the thread topic? What a hoot.

Hypocrite.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1070945 Jan 29, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a video of excerpts from a 2004 Congressional hearing trying to rein in F&F.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...

Notice who is defending it.
Is There an Antidote to the Republican Amnesia?

By Barney Frank

Memory eventually fails us all, but apparently the decline strikes one party far more than the other.

In recent weeks, my friends across the aisle have expended a lot of breath proclaiming that the Democrats caused the present financial crisis by failing to pass legislation to regulate financial services companies in the years 1995 through 2006.

There is only small one problem with this story -- throughout this entire period the Republicans were in complete charge of the House and for the most critical years they controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.

In the House of Representatives, the majority party has almost unlimited power over the minority party. The majority party owns the committee chairmanships; it controls what bills come to a vote; and it is under no obligation to consider the ideas of the beleaguered minority. When the Republicans were in the majority they ruled with an iron first; it is no accident that Tom DeLay was known as "The Hammer."

That is why I find it particularly flattering the Republicans now claim that in the years 1995 to 2006 I personally possessed supernatural powers which enabled me to force mighty Republican leaders to do my bidding. Choose your comic book hero -- I was all of them.

I wish I had the power to force the Republican leadership to do my bidding! If I had had that power, I would have used it to block the impeachment of Bill Clinton, to stop the war in Iraq, to prevent large tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and to stop government intervention into the private life of Terri Schiavo. Yet that power eluded me, and I was unable to stop those things.

According to the Republicans' misty memories of the period before 2007, I allegedly singlehandedly blocked their determined efforts to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and my supposed intransigence literally caused the worldwide financial crisis.

Fortunately, we have tools to aid memory -- pencil and paper, word processing, transcripts, newspapers, and the Congressional record. And as described in the most reputable published sources, in 2005 I in fact worked together with my Republican colleague Michael Oxley, then Chairman of the Financial Services Committee, to write a bill to increase regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. We passed the bill out of committee with an overwhelming majority -- every Democrat voted in favor of the legislation. However, on the House floor the Republican leadership added a poison pill amendment, which would have prevented non-profit institutions with religious affiliations from receiving funds. I voted against the legislation in protest, though I continued to work with Mr. Oxley to encourage the Senate to pass a good bill. But these efforts were defeated because President Bush blocked further consideration of the legislation. In the words of Mr. Oxley, no flaming liberal, the Bush administration gave his efforts 'the one-finger salute.'

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/200...
Follow us:@RCP_Articles on Twitter
Arte Z

Jamaica, NY

#1070946 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Yup, meltdown in progress!!
Congrats Nucular; it doesn't take much to push these nutjobs over the edge.
You sound a little testy. Low on vodka?
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1070947 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I met an Australian man yesterday who made negative comments about President Obama; saying "ugghh we have to watch this guy on tv again"; when I asked where he was from he said Australia; he went on to say the economy is booming in Australia, everything is better there and at least healthcare is free!!
I said, well, it's not free, everyone pays taxes to fund it; he said, yeah!
Really, someone should sue Fox for misinforming people to the point of idiocy. Another woman chimed in "yeah, it's more like Obama don't care"!! She looked like Honey Boo Boo's mother!
I meant to ask him why he left Australia in the first place.
She probably was Honey Boo Boo's mother; her move to Boca has been in the news. Looks as if you'll have to share your Happy Hours with someone better informed than youself.
Arte Z

Jamaica, NY

#1070948 Jan 29, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Muslim terrorists would love to "pay me a visit".
Don't worry, though. They have to start their sweeps before the election in 2016. I'll be seeing them then, along with a whole lot of other Americans.
And IRS auditors in the New Obama America where crossing Dear Leader can get you arrested.

Take Dinesh D'Souza, for example. It seems obvious that he's been set up as this season's Benghazi video maker. There are gazillions of $20,000 campaign-finance infractions across America, but the only guy that's been singled out is the fellow who made a hit anti-Obama movie.

D'Souza is accused of contributing $20,000, more than the legal limit, to the Senate candidacy of his friend Wendy Long. The U.S. Attorney in New York announced a "zero tolerance" policy with regard to campaign finance, and D'Souza was arraigned in New York, handcuffed briefly, and

D'Souza's bail was set at $500,000 and he was released after promising that one financially responsible person would sign "a personal recognizance bond" within a week. The case was then adjourned until March 4. D'Souza spent six hours at the courthouse and was briefly handcuffed.

D'Souza, the filmmaker behind 2016: Obama's America, also must surrender his passport, adhere to pretrial supervision, make no new travel applications and restrict travel to the continental U.S. with prior approval.

D'Souza has pleaded not guilty. Of the $20,000 he gave to Wendy Long,$5,000 is entirely lawful under America's campaign-finance regime. So the "crime" is $15,000.

Yet, for 15 grand, a hitherto law-abiding citizen is put in handcuffs, cannot travel from New York to Boston without the permission of a federal judge, and has to post bail for half-a-million?

As The Blazenoted, that's considerably more than the bail set for various accused rapists, kidnappers and murderers. For a crime of 15,000 bucks.

The cuffs, the bail, the internal exile: Sick, sick, sick.

And Americans should be ashamed of themselves for putting up with it, presumably on the quaint belief that as long as they keep their heads down they're unlikely to catch the eye of their so-called "Justice" Department.

A fact on federal “justice:”
Those who do exercise their constitutional right to a defense receive three times as severe a sentence as those who plead guilty; 95 percent of cases are won by prosecutors, 90 percent of those without trial.

D'Souza has made his first mistake by having the impertinence to plead "not guilty". But it's not so difficult to picture him a year or three down the road belatedly copping a plea in return for only two years in jail instead of the 15-30 or whatever crackpot sentence each individual count commands.

And the rest of us will all learn an important lesson in what happens when your anti-Obama tract is too successful.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1070949 Jan 29, 2014
DOW heads south after Fed announces another $10 billion cut in buying.Down 205 at this time.

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1070950 Jan 29, 2014
An example of "extraordinary Americans" and "remarkable individuals" who were calculatingly chosen to sit with Michelle Obama during the SOTU...

A year and a half ago, Nick Chute started working at Punch Pizza as a cashier to help pay for school and rent. In December, Nick graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in philosophy. He is still with Punch Pizza, currently working as a "pizzaioli in training," learning to cook pizzas in the traditional Neapolitan style -- in an 800 degree wood-fired oven in under 90 seconds. Punch Pizza's decision to raise their company-wide minimum wage benefitted Nick, who said "I appreciate it, and it makes me feel like a bigger part of the company." After becoming a certified pizzaioli, Nick hopes to move into a management position at Punch Pizza.

Wow...philosopher to pizzaioli in training.

And the minimum wage increase has made him feel "like a bigger part of the company!" Remarkable! Extraordinary!

NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1070951 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
RACIST
AND THAT WAS YOU PISSING YOURSELF AGAIN, THEY DON'T CHANGE THE RACISTS DIAPERS TILL THE END.
Sorry you'll remain damp on your climb back up to the barstool.
Arte Z

Jamaica, NY

#1070953 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I met an Australian man yesterday who made negative comments about President Obama; saying "ugghh we have to watch this guy on tv again"; when I asked where he was from he said Australia; he went on to say the economy is booming in Australia, everything is better there and at least healthcare is free!!
I said, well, it's not free, everyone pays taxes to fund it; he said, yeah!
Really, someone should sue Fox for misinforming people to the point of idiocy. Another woman chimed in "yeah, it's more like Obama don't care"!! She looked like Honey Boo Boo's mother!
I meant to ask him why he left Australia in the first place.
What everyone is really wondering is--did this guy knock on your door or did you actually leave home for once? In the daylight?
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1070954 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Yup, meltdown in progress!!
Congrats Nucular; it doesn't take much to push these nutjobs over the edge.
Lily: "fuggin nutjob".

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1070955 Jan 29, 2014
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"nutsucker"
One more time you post without thinking. You do that often. I am proud to be a Catholic. To date the Pope has said nothing I disagree with. It bothers me not all that you are involved in a homosexual relationship?
Peace
KMA
because the new pope has actually initiated no change at all. just lip service as usual..

your religious cult is funny. why do you worship a proven false god? does this give you some sort of peace?

Spokane, WA

#1070956 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
RACIST
AND THAT WAS YOU PISSING YOURSELF AGAIN, THEY DON'T CHANGE THE RACISTS DIAPERS TILL THE END.
"silly"
I did not waste my time watching the boy presidents lies, er speech. Instead I watched the Virginia vs. Notre Dame basketball game. It wasn't much either. The ice cold Kokanee was very good.
Peace
KMA

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1070957 Jan 29, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Your moniker is old, alright. Like dirt and dinosaur dung.
All the 'tick does is regurgitate leftist talking points while lamely trying to disguise them as his own brilliant and original thoughts when in reality his only defense is calling people names.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1070958 Jan 29, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>So, I'm supposed to "counter" your insulting rant on Lois with cogent "facts" relevant to the thread topic? What a hoot.
Hypocrite.
well you could have at least tried...why is it you didn't? oh yeah, you have no facts to counter with...

you and i both knew this prior to you wasting our time...did you just want me to point it out agian?
Arte Z

Jamaica, NY

#1070959 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet my moniker is older than yours...
it is fun to watch you make such a fool of yourself...
you do it well. you actually amaze me with your stupidity. you can't even do basic math.
Huh? Are you saying LoisLane is another socially promoted Democrat? Next you'll tell me she voted twice in the last election, attacks people playing the Knockout Game and doesn't know who which guy fathered the last two kids. Oh, and like Michelle Obama, she thinks Beyonce is a role model.
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1070960 Jan 29, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a video of excerpts from a 2004 Congressional hearing trying to rein in F&F.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
Notice who is defending it.
Here's the timeline of the numerous warnings under the Bush administration:
2001 April: The Administration's FY02 budget declares that the size of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is "a potential problem," because "financial trouble of a large GSE could cause strong repercussions in financial markets, affecting Federally insured entities and economic activity."
2002 May: The President calls for the disclosure and corporate governance principles contained in his 10-point plan for corporate responsibility to apply to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.(OMB Prompt Letter to OFHEO, 5/29/02)
2003 January: Freddie Mac announces it has to restate financial results for the previous three years. February: The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) releases a report explaining that "although investors perceive an implicit Federal guarantee of [GSE] obligations," "the government has provided no explicit legal backing for them." As a consequence, unexpected problems at a GSE could immediately spread into financial sectors beyond the housing market.("Systemic Risk: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Role of OFHEO," OFHEO Report, 2/4/03
September: Fannie Mae discloses SEC investigation and acknowledges OFHEO's review found earnings manipulations.
September: Treasury Secretary John Snow testifies before the House Financial Services Committee to recommend that Congress enact "legislation to create a new Federal agency to regulate and supervise the financial activities of our housing-related government sponsored enterprises" and set prudent and appropriate minimum capital adequacy requirements.
October: Fannie Mae discloses $1.2 billion accounting error
November: Council of the Economic Advisers (CEA) Chairman Greg Mankiw explains that any "legislation to reform GSE regulation should empower the new regulator with sufficient strength and credibility to reduce systemic risk." To reduce the potential for systemic instability, the regulator would have "broad authority to set both risk-based and minimum capital standards" and "receivership powers necessary to wind down the affairs of a troubled GSE." (N. Gregory Mankiw, Remarks At The Conference Of State Bank Supervisors State Banking Summit And Leadership, 11/6/03)
It doesn't matter dumbazz__Fannie and Freddie didn't cause the mortgage meltdown or the financial crisis and barely even contributed to it.

One more time babe__you're much too uninformed on the subject to be taken seriously.

Spokane, WA

#1070961 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>was she demurring? what a tool you are..
"woodendick0000"
You would have to ask "silly" what she was doing. My guess she was having an orgasm.
Peace
KMA
dem

United States

#1070962 Jan 29, 2014
flack wrote:
DOW heads south after Fed announces another $10 billion cut in buying.Down 205 at this time.
Funny how your dumb azz hasn't mentioned the DOW in years huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min OzRitz 62,893
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 32 min ThomasA 313,198
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Me Impressed 7,992
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Ize Found 71,310
How DEPRESSING is it living in The State Of Con... (May '16) Tue Hoody Hoodpecker 4
News Gibbs College campus will be shut down (Feb '08) Jan 16 Mona 112
News More Advice On Acura TL Transmission Failures A... (Apr '09) Jan 14 Rujoking 320

Hartford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages