Hartford Man Charged In Connection Wi...

Hartford Man Charged In Connection With Sexual Assault

There are 79 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Hartford Man Charged In Connection With Sexual Assault. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A 49-year-old city resident and an unnamed juvenile allegedly conspired to sexually assault a 5-year-old boy four times in the fall of 2007, including once in the garage of the home of the accused man, located ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

West Ender

Enfield, CT

#24 Jun 23, 2008
Good point Paul. Not only the police, but a therapist, and DCF (which we know is always WAY TOO SLOW tt react reviewed the allegations before taking action
ex dodd supporter

Hartford, CT

#25 Jun 23, 2008
Joan wrote:
In this country people are innocent until proven quilty - Jonathan has a wonderful loving family and deserves the chance to prove his innocence .... this is obviously a very disturbed 5 year old boy !!
it is OBVIOUS to you that this 5 year old boy is disturbed? you got that from the content of the article? are you that big a fool?
WEBSTER

Raleigh, NC

#26 Jun 24, 2008
I thought there were only thugs in Hartford, not freaks too. The juvenile mentioned...what's up with him?
DONALD CHRISTMAS

Enfield, CT

#28 Jun 24, 2008
PROBALY ANOTHER DCF IDIOT THERIPIST TRYING TO GET MORE FEDERAL MONEY A FIVE YEAR OLD SAID THIS COME ON .THATS WHAT THEY SAID WHEN MY FIVE YEAR OLD ACCUSE THE SAFE HOME OF INAPPROPIATE TOUCHING.HIM AND HIS BROTHER
Mary

United States

#29 Jun 24, 2008
There are members of the Jonathan Fairbanks family that I am very close to and am concerned how some of these comments, many which seem to have prejudged the situation, will affect them.
lazlo

West Hartford, CT

#31 Jun 24, 2008
it's all too sad.
cape cod

Spring Lake, NJ

#35 Jun 25, 2008
tripper wrote:
<quoted text>When the accusation has to do with harming a child, you put the wheels in motion quickly, collect the evidence, and hope its not true. With kids, you can't sit back and be "COOL". I understand what you are saying, but kids need special protection. Yes! guilty until proven innocent. Its ugly, but thats the way I think when it comes to protecting our kids. If the priests had gotten this type of justice, we wouldn't be reading about them in court today. Those that committed the crimes against children, would all be in jail.
Ugly? "Guilty until proven innocent" is also illegal. The accused in criminal trials has the legal right to be innocent until proven guilty. Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments. So now to further an agenda, we should forget about constitutional rights? I don't thing so.
concerned

Hartford, CT

#36 Jun 26, 2008
the supreme court does not believe that child rapist should be sentenced to the death penalty...maybe if it happened to a child of theirs they might consider it or even go back on their beliefs...I believe they should for when someone violates a child he/she is being destroyed for life so why would the courts say that the death penalty does not fit the crime...WHY? Maybe the men (for the most part) in our supreme courts have hidden secrets of their own just like that endocronoligist who was able to molest so many children through out the course of his career at an institution such as St Francis
concerned

Hartford, CT

#37 Jun 26, 2008
after reading these comments it almost sounds as though the people making comments are friends of this alleged child rapist and feel pity for someone they know...this goes to show that many children are afraid of telling on someone who inappropriately touches them because people like this who are well known within their community put on this facade that they aren't capable of such alleged assaults...come on give me a break...you can know a person for 20 years and not really know that person.....this is how dr reardon was able to fend off his allegations...
Observer

San Jose, CA

#38 Jun 26, 2008
Does it seem odd to anyone that a five year old has his own therapist? There must be more to this story that has nothing to do with the accused and more to do with the disturbed life at home of he and his family.
Clueless

AOL

#39 Jun 26, 2008
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Joan if people are innocent until proven guily why do you insinuate that the little boy is disturbed? Sounds like you are not being open minded yourself!
Because Tim..you do not know all the facts. The facts that will prove him innocent and the boy to be very disturbed.
joan T

United States

#41 Jun 26, 2008
Jim : the posting about being innocent -by Joan isp west hartford is not by me. I am Joan T and think anyone abusing a child in any way deserves the harshest punishment the law allows. If this man is guilty he should receive just that.
CPC

Cheshire, CT

#42 Jun 26, 2008
Observer wrote:
Does it seem odd to anyone that a five year old has his own therapist? There must be more to this story that has nothing to do with the accused and more to do with the disturbed life at home of he and his family.
Having a therapist doesn't mean the child has a disturbed life. Families and children with ADD, mild autism may see a therapist to help them live a normal life and do better in school.

Opinions seem to be split on this guy, but remember there was an unnamed kid that was involved. Once he/she talks, that's it.
Schadenfreude

Waterbury, CT

#43 Jun 26, 2008
Observer wrote:
LOL. Is it really beyond your ability to fathom why a kid being repeatedly fondled by an adult male ten times his age might have a therapist?

I mean, like, really?
resident

Morris, CT

#44 Jun 26, 2008
Maybe the kids parents found him a therapist because after the abuse they realized something was wrong but couldn't fully figure it out on their own so they turned to professional help. The people who are trying to blame this on the child make me sick he is 5 years old and the VICTIM we ask not to judge the accused but what about the victim????

As for the unnamed accomplice he deserves the anonymity as the victim because he to is a victim of john fairbanks.
enough is enough

Norwood, MA

#45 Jun 27, 2008
clearly there are few people who have chosen to comment here who know jon fairbanks. as a few others have mentioned, his a devoted father, loving husband and stand up contributor to the hartford community. The fact is, if you actually read the article in the courant, it is clear that there is no more evidence to the prosecution's case then the word of a five year old boy. what IS common knowledge to anyone who actually knows anything about this case and the people involved, is that the 5- year old "victim" is INCREDIBLY disturbed. read the article, and if you can give me concrete evidence beyond the word of a CHILD, I would like to hear it. however, since i know that no such evidence exists, hold your tongues and check your facts, and stop attempting to incriminate the accused before you know the full story.
CPC

Cheshire, CT

#46 Jun 27, 2008
enough is enough wrote:
clearly there are few people who have chosen to comment here who know jon fairbanks. as a few others have mentioned, his a devoted father, loving husband and stand up contributor to the hartford community. The fact is, if you actually read the article in the courant, it is clear that there is no more evidence to the prosecution's case then the word of a five year old boy. what IS common knowledge to anyone who actually knows anything about this case and the people involved, is that the 5- year old "victim" is INCREDIBLY disturbed. read the article, and if you can give me concrete evidence beyond the word of a CHILD, I would like to hear it. however, since i know that no such evidence exists, hold your tongues and check your facts, and stop attempting to incriminate the accused before you know the full story.
From the article:
"A 49-year-old city resident and an unnamed juvenile allegedly conspired to sexually assault a 5-year-old boy four times in the fall of 2007, including once in the garage of the home of the accused man, located in Hartford's West End, according to court records."

If the unnamed juvenile talks to the cops and confirms the story, Mr. Fairbanks is in BIG trouble.

It's a 5 year old boy. You'd have to be DISTURBED to label any 5 year old boy DISTURBED without giving concrete evidence.
END THIS

Morris, CT

#47 Jun 28, 2008
OK THIS NEEDS TO STOP CALLING THE BOY DISTURBED IS JUST AS WRONG AS CALLING FAIRBANKS GUILTY BEFORE HIS DAY IN COURT NO ONE ON HERE KNOWS THE FULL STORY EXCEPT THE PEOPLE IMMEDIATELY INVOLVED AND IM SURE THEIR NOT COMMENTING....
IF SOMEONE FROM THE COURANT READS THIS CAN YOU PLEASE CLOSE AND DELETE THIS DISCUSSION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE... THANK YOU
CPC

Cheshire, CT

#48 Jun 28, 2008
END THIS wrote:
OK THIS NEEDS TO STOP CALLING THE BOY DISTURBED IS JUST AS WRONG AS CALLING FAIRBANKS GUILTY BEFORE HIS DAY IN COURT NO ONE ON HERE KNOWS THE FULL STORY EXCEPT THE PEOPLE IMMEDIATELY INVOLVED AND IM SURE THEIR NOT COMMENTING....
IF SOMEONE FROM THE COURANT READS THIS CAN YOU PLEASE CLOSE AND DELETE THIS DISCUSSION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE... THANK YOU
You must be a friend of the Fairbanks. This is news, and people are free to discuss. If it bothers you don't read it.
Keep Focused

Bradenton, FL

#49 Jun 28, 2008
It's hard to believe that any one of you who don't personally know any of those named in this article can formulate an opinion or take a firm position, given how vague this article really is. Only John Fairbanks, the purported co-conspirator and the 5 year old who has made this accusation know the real story. May God help all of them and allow the real story to unfold in the most efficient and least painful way possible for all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min VetnorsGate 1,680,794
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min cpeter1313 325,989
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Into The Night 64,397
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Let freedom Ring 21,370
News Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim speaks outside the C... Sun America Gentleman... 3
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) Sun Plotts 61
News Brother Of Victim A Suspect In Hartford Fatal S... Jan 13 BPT 1

Hartford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages