Change At The Morning Mike At WDRC-FM

Change At The Morning Mike At WDRC-FM

There are 158 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 21, 2007, titled Change At The Morning Mike At WDRC-FM. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

What goes around does come around ... most recently for radio personality Jerry Kristafer .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Fire Marianne OHare Also

AOL

#1 Dec 22, 2007
As a long time listener (50 years) to WDRC AM&FM, I am sorry to see John Seville take the boot. Now, they're going to bring back Jerry Kristafer, another jock be gone from 10 years ago. Bid D fired him and have had several jocks since then. None of which have been all that successful. As a matter of fact, I think the last successful morning jock on Big D was Ron Landry and you'll have to go back to the early 60s.
John Seville was a very capable jock. He worked harder than most and the problem with the morning show was not about him. It was about his side kick ,Marianne O'Hare, who constantly made this morning show all about herself. We, the listeners are not interested in her speeding through the towns of Connecticut, sweet talking the cops out of a ticket. We don't care about her living in Glastonbury, or, all her battles with weight. Our stomachs turn when we would hear her call John Seville "Johnny" and take over every conversation, no matter if it was a listener calling in, or, John Seville trying to get in a word edge wise. I've never seen a morning jock so stuck on herself.
Let's face it, morning radio in Connecticut is anything but an alternative. As soon as it fits in my budet, I'm getting satellite radio, but for now, I will stick by my days of great oldies and rock n roll and only hope that Marianne goes as well. Her motor mouth makes me dizzy some mornings. Do we care if Gina smokes cigarettes? NOT. We care about what other listeners think and a good oldie every now and then. So little Christmas music was played this year, that I was wondering if the old Irish Owners have gone south for good. Maybe Dickie Robinson could do the morning show with Bill Hennessey?
Let's give the morning show a fresh start without Marianne either. If you're going to make a change, make a clean sweep. AND, don't bring back Jerry Kristafer. He's a has been and I'm wondering how many moth balls he was lying in, before you contracted him. You could have tried for Ron Landry if he's still around, if you wanted a has been at Big D. He was a good one.
There are only two easy listening stations in Hartford. Big D and Lite 100.5. I refuse to listen to Lite 1005, as one of the jocks is an upgraded sports announcer, that thinks he owns the state of CT. The female is another motor mouth, similar to Big D's Marianne and the only viable, capable jock is Alan Camp.
Stop boring us with halfway changes. If you're kicking John Seville out, get rid of his side kick also. She has nothing to offer and you can read right through the smoke and mirrors that she's staying because of her gender.
Good Luck Cadilac Man. You did good. You just had a motor mouth side kick that ruined your show. I hope someone in CT picks you up. You're worthy of staying in the area for us.
Marc

Framingham, MA

#2 Dec 22, 2007
I agree with the previous posters views on Marianne. Her overuse of "johhny" made the skin crawl, as do the mentions of "my guy". Please marianne, either call him Bob or fred or dont mention him at all. She just cant seem to find chemistry with any of her co-hosts. But....Saville to me was the bigger problem. I'm guessing the new GM listened and carried out a mercy killing as an early holiday gift for the listeners. Did we care about the wediings he emceed the weekend, or what songs he played at the birthday party that really "got them hopping" Nope. He turned the show into a long form commercial for his company. He was forever talking over Gina or Marianne to get his little patter in, and overall was just a smaltzey bore. No one cared about his views on Britney or Paris. Yes John we know that they're talentless skanks, now shut up and play another song while telling who was "63 years young today". He was the reason I am now an XM subscriber. Nothing worse then a jock in love with the sound of his own voice. Bye Bye johnny, you brought this upon yourself.
Sara J

United States

#3 Dec 22, 2007
I cannot believe that DRC has once again hung another DJ out to dry.
A conversation was had with this DJ' when another radio voice disappeared without warning.
He told me "that is the way in this business, you never know when the door will close"
I grew to admire John a great deal, so it saddens me to see him go.
With the D's new idea of changing its format to 50-50, i don't know who these "people" are that said they would like to have more of a "talk" show radio.
Let me say that DRC has been long known for its oldies(which took a change) its fun antics, contests, and so much more.
To say now that it will turn into a Imus type show, i don't think the loyal listeners will stick with this show, you have already lost two of us and your new format didn't even start yet.
People want to hear music, they want to sing along with the crazy oldies, sit back and maybe smile when they hear that old love song, remember who they were with , what they were doing..
Music is an escape for many of us,
We hear and see enough depressing news on the tv's and newspapers.
I hope that those remaining at the station know that many of us are not happy with what is going on there.
Gentlemen, change is not always for the better.
So it is today that i say goodbye to DRC, it was fun growing up with you..........
RJN

Boston, MA

#4 Dec 22, 2007
Much ado about nothing. Local broadcast radio is insipid. Hearing others babble to my mind is a sorry waste of time.
Joe

Chester, PA

#5 Dec 22, 2007
i agree with this people. i only listen to the spanish station in the mornings because they have good jokes, but these people here seem to know what they're talking about. Fire marianne from that station!!!
Cold Hearted John Seville

AOL

#6 Dec 22, 2007
I think John lost a lot of support when he not only sensationalized the passing of his wife, but added all this drama to his "new found love." You couldn't wait 7 months til you found someone else and let the listeners know about it? Some listeners were offended that you were so quick on the draw with this quick replacement. You don't seem to have a sensitive side to you and that's not a good negative with female listeners.
Not right

Middlebury, CT

#7 Dec 22, 2007
I agree with all of these comments. I think Marianne should go also. Since taking over for Beth Bradley, John's entire show went downhill.
I would also think if Jerry Kristafer is being brought back, he's in tight with this new GM that's taking over. The radio business is just like every other business.. It's not what you know, it's who you bl**.
PPS

AOL

#8 Dec 22, 2007
I agree with all the comments. Marianne should be the one to go not John. I kept hoping Beth would be back and we could get our old show back and not have to listen to "Johnny" and how many times she speeds through her hometown of Glastonbury and how the cops all know her. Now we have "her man" and her weight loss program and how great she looks. I have never heard anyone talk so much about themselves - DRC - you should be ashamed of yourselves for this move - you blew it this time - looking for another station, think I'll go country, maybe John will go back there..
Fed Up

Waterbury, CT

#9 Dec 22, 2007
At least Big D isn't owned by Clear Channel or Cox. They're one of the last big independent stations. Too bad they brought back Kristofer. Here comes more talk and blather, less music.
The Birdman

United States

#10 Dec 22, 2007
The best on DRC is Mike
Stevens! He is down to earth, funny and not a phoney like Saville. I agree with the rest Saville was all about Saville and Marianne talks too much and the my man talk is annoying. Let Jerry stay in New Haven and Keep Mike in the Morning!!
Snooze and Lose

AOL

#11 Dec 22, 2007
The Birdman wrote:
The best on DRC is Mike
Stevens! He is down to earth, funny and not a phoney like Saville. I agree with the rest Saville was all about Saville and Marianne talks too much and the my man talk is annoying. Let Jerry stay in New Haven and Keep Mike in the Morning!!
The biggest problem with MIKE is he's not a personality. Half the time he sounds like he's on snooze alarm. The monotone voice and an insincere demeanor (to his job) make him lackluster. He's probably a good guy. He's just not the guy that people would trip over to have MC their wedding or party. When he had the morning show with Beth Bradley and my alarm went off, I never would wake up hearing Mike Stevens.
Kristofer sucks

Granby, CT

#12 Dec 23, 2007
Jerry Kristofer is the biggest jerk that I ever met. He is more in love with himself that that morning schmuck over at 96.

More garbage radio. Welcome back Griscomb, Kristofer, what ever your name is. I won't be listening.
A Yankees Fan

Simsbury, CT

#13 Dec 23, 2007
Kristofer sucks wrote:
Jerry Kristofer is the biggest jerk that I ever met. He is more in love with himself that that morning schmuck over at 96.
More garbage radio. Welcome back Griscomb, Kristofer, what ever your name is. I won't be listening.
Other than the fact that I never met him, I totally agree with this posting.
Terrible Morning Radio

Middlebury, CT

#14 Dec 23, 2007
There is no real morning radio in Hartford. All the blabber mouths really have nothing to offer. One radio personality used to do morning radio. Then, there were two and now there's three. They all trip over each other and step on each other, all trying to get their point of view in. It's really no wonder why satellite radio has become so successful. To add to the misery, these stations somehow beleive we need more talk radio. Are you kidding me? We're sick of hearing all the know it alls. Spin us some music, let your listeners phone in AND LISTEN TO THEM. Don't pull a Marianne O'Hare on them, becoming the authority on EVERYTHING.

I may have to try 94.7 in Springfield. At least Dick McDonough has been there since BIG D canned him too, many years ago.

Jerry Kristafer needs to stay in Meriden. His humor (if you wanna call it that) falls short of getting a laugh from me.

IS THERE ANYONE listening to the listeners?????? Hartford Radio Morning Market Sucks!!!!!!!!!
Mourning Ad-Nauseum

Riverhead, NY

#15 Dec 23, 2007
I remember Kristopher @ DRC with a music driven show. If now he has the potential to be like the OLD IMUS IN THE MORNING @ 66 "NNN"BC...that would certainly be an improvement over John SnoozeVille and Mary"Look-At-Me"Here -I-Am!!!
Since Mike and Beth...the "Mourning Show" has been sickening. I've stopped listening till Larry comes on.
If the music is going to be reduced with Kristopher...I'll go elsewhere. There's enough bulltalk out there, and in my carpool. If...they go with Kristopher and more music, with personality bits strung in between the songs...that would make for a worthwhile listen!
Now...if they could only cut out Maianne OHare's heart...and give it to Beth Bradley!!!
Former Morning Listener

Waterbury, CT

#16 Dec 23, 2007
I use to listen to Mike and Beth. I could not stomach Saville. It was painful. But now I'll listen to Mike until Jerry comes back on. And then I'll just listen to Larry, Doug and Mike at night.
Kristofer sucks

Granby, CT

#17 Dec 24, 2007
Terrible Morning Radio wrote:
There is no real morning radio in Hartford. All the blabber mouths really have nothing to offer. One radio personality used to do morning radio. Then, there were two and now there's three. They all trip over each other and step on each other, all trying to get their point of view in. It's really no wonder why satellite radio has become so successful. To add to the misery, these stations somehow beleive we need more talk radio. Are you kidding me? We're sick of hearing all the know it alls. Spin us some music, let your listeners phone in AND LISTEN TO THEM. Don't pull a Marianne O'Hare on them, becoming the authority on EVERYTHING.
I may have to try 94.7 in Springfield. At least Dick McDonough has been there since BIG D canned him too, many years ago.
Jerry Kristafer needs to stay in Meriden. His humor (if you wanna call it that) falls short of getting a laugh from me.
IS THERE ANYONE listening to the listeners?????? Hartford Radio Morning Market Sucks!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't agree more! Dick McDonough is great! Loved him back then, and occasionally listen to him now.

And some people in the biz have said that DRC stands for "Don't Really Care" with regard to your comment about "listening to the listeners."

The parent company of WDRC, Buckley Broadcasting, has always tried to run things on the cheap. No wonder they can't attract and retain good talent.

Thank God for XM Radio.
Long Time Listener

Waterbury, CT

#18 Dec 24, 2007
I agree with Birdman and disagree with Snooze and Loose. Mike Stevens is very funny and I think his voice sounds sincere. I'm listening to the radio I'm not at a wedding or a party. I want good music some laughs and a personality who isn't looking at the mirror and posing and comes across as a big self promoter. Mike Stevens promotes the music and should stay on in the morning!
Station is lost

AOL

#19 Dec 26, 2007
It's a shame that WDRC-FM has such a terrible time identifying with it's listeners. Forever making bad choices on changes. This change is a terrible one. Jerry Kristafer? My oh my. Let him remain in Meriden. Do we need another blabbler mouth, know it all, high on himself? Can we have someone that knows the technique and talent to play music, talk to listeners and report what's going on. Let's face it, Bob Steele didn't last all those years because he was high on himself. What happened to Juke Box Saturday Night? Another nice show that went by the wayside.

Change things completely if you want to try a change. Get rid of Marianne "high on herself" O'Hare and if you really have to have two personalities, get two that listen to their listeners. My God, these people on the radio are so high on themselves. We want to hear what other listeners think. A listener can't even call in and give their opinion before being stepped on by these people. Morning shows started going to hell in a hand basket when they started making their sports and traffic people part of the morning show. It all started with John Elliott and Gary Craig and then it spilled over. I don't remember Bob Steele having a side kick. He had simple things like the word of the day. I never heard the man give the impression he was high on himself like this new brand of Jocks.

BORED WITH HARTFORD RADIO and yawning listening to Marianne talk about speeding through three towns to get back to the station. That really sets the example. Right on.
AaronSlick51

Meriden, CT

#20 Dec 26, 2007
Yo, Filio! Since when is 14 MONTHS a "long time?" Duh.

John Saville, by himself, was good, but those two goofy broads were annoying.

MO'Hare - go back to snowy Rochester. Nobody here cares about your inane life stories, or about the despised, despicable NY Mets.

I will tune in to WREF out of Danbury on-line in the office until it's Larry Wells' turn. The last thing we need is a combination of Imus and Stern/Quivers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Politico Incorrecto 1,746,761
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min Poster Child for ... 64,571
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 49 min June VanDerMark 337,004
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 hr Smiley 21,533
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 23 Black Ice 72,074
News Stoshball Out On Assignment Apr 23 Gavone 1
News FBI at Carabetta Office Building on Center and ... (Jun '11) Apr 22 Fefa 30

Hartford Jobs

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages