Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.
Comments
41 - 60 of 305,162 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Tolerance and reason”

Since: Apr 07

Lehigh County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Interesting poll results. I noted in the same survey that the abortion issue nearly ranked last among issues of importance to the survey respondents; way behind gas prices, social security, terrorism, Iraq, Iran, taxes, education, etc etc.
CAS-1Cor1-18 wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG, unless you define EVERY differently than me. And look the percentage difference is so HUGE, um, er, wait...
Two polls were released in May 2007 asking Americans "With respect to the abortion issue, would you consider yourself to be pro-choice or pro-life?" A CNN poll found 45% said pro-choice and 50% said pro-life. Within the following week, a Gallup poll found 49% responding pro-choice and 45% pro-life.
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/05/09/rel6...
And, just so I understand you, the "choice" in pro-choice is the death of the unborn entity, correct? Not the "ending of its existence" or some other euphemism, but its death. Just so we are on the same page.
Right Wing Conspiracy

Bryans Road, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

MyPerspective wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think a newspaper never reports false information?
FYI-During the 2000 elections, FL saw approx. 180,000 UNCOUNTED votes (Harris halted further counting)when Bush led by only 600 or so. I think that's a very narrow margin not to count all those votes. Also there was proven voter fraud after the fact(illegals, dead, etc. were found to be part of the counted votes). I could go on. So is the NY Times the be all end all on who won? IMO, no.
Now back to topic...
LOL. I don't always trust the media, but when the NY Times is defending Bush rather than attacking him I trust that info. Their bias leans to being anti-Bush, and I'm sure they wanted to find a valid conspiracy in Florida, but the truth was, Bush won.
Mark C

Pittsburg, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Be objective Sarah, don't use the term "long shot"
when referring to Ron Paul. Just report and leave your own subjective ideas to the side.
Its called good journalism, I know its probably a reach but give it a try.
LV TOILET

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

vball wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, some of us SURE do! You know the people that rape and kill little children? They need to die! They do not deserve life.
so you are saying even catholic priests who perp on little boys deserve to die?

“Come Be a Fool with Me”

Since: Nov 07

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Tom-2265 wrote:
Interesting poll results. I noted in the same survey that the abortion issue nearly ranked last among issues of importance to the survey respondents; way behind gas prices, social security, terrorism, Iraq, Iran, taxes, education, etc etc.
<quoted text>
I am sure you're right. I did not read all of it, and I am not at all surprised. Pretty much sums up our society, huh? People really, truly, on the majority, do not care about the issue of unborn babies. Thanks for pointing that out.

“Come Be a Fool with Me”

Since: Nov 07

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

Tom-2265 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are definitely much more consumed by the love of and concern for ourselves. Is that you? I know it can be me at times.
Right Wing Conspiracy

Bryans Road, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

MyPerspective wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree that Pro-choicers block woman from scientific knowledge. From what I can tell, most reputable organizations give counseling to ensure women make an informed decision, not the other way around.
Some might, but it's not in every case from what I've seen.

I've seen plenty of women who report things that they were told their child was just a bundle of cells.

I saw these so called "pro-choice" organizations trying to block legislation like Lacey's law which identifies a fetus as a human life. The law didn't outlaw abortion, it allowed for prosecution (for murder) of anyone who attacks a pregnant woman and kills her unborn child. That actually protects choice, but the choice to not abort isn't as heavily defended by these groups.

I've seen representatives from these groups constantly the potential of the procedure to cause depression in women. Even though there are plenty of women who reported having it after they go through the procedure.

“Mr Tyzik is crushing your head”

Since: Dec 06

Wherever I kick my shoes off

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

KEKE wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of resources for unborn children and their mothers. These people "choose" to take the easy way out.
There are 1 million homeless children each year in the U.S. alone. There are half a million children in foster care (a number that has increased dramatically and continues). 30% of those in foster care have severe emotional and behaviorial problems due to drug-addicted mothers/parents, abuse from parent and even the foster parents. 13 million children go hungry every year in the U.S. There are between 750,000 and 850,000 teen preganancies each year and that is finally declining.

Yes, there are programs and such out there, but it is not as easy as you think. People aren't just waiting to help you out because you got knocked up. There are also numerous babies that are born addicted to drugs or just left to die somewhere. There are over 1,000 child deaths due to abuse and neglect and it is thought that 50% to 60% of these cases are not even reported.

Now, I'm not going to change your mind, nor do I want to. That is your right and opinion to believe in, just as pro-choice people have the right to beleive in what they do. I'm not saying to run right out and have an abortion. There are things to go over in your mind and in your heart before making a decision like that, but just look at all of the unwanted and tortured children we have. I can't imagine the numbers if some people who felt they weren't able to take care of a child didn't choose an abortion. Just my thought on it.
Sun Of The Beach

Warwick, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

You got it all wrong. These women have a right to murder their children, in and out of the womb. In their case abortions should be retroactive. The kids will grow up tpo be just as lame as thier parents and I have seen enough of them. Maybe they could abort the mothers too. Retroactive abortions are the way to go. Kill your kids lady. No problem. Abort yourself. Do us a favor.
Wise one

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

CAS-1Cor1-18 wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG, unless you define EVERY differently than me. And look the percentage difference is so HUGE, um, er, wait...
Two polls were released in May 2007 asking Americans "With respect to the abortion issue, would you consider yourself to be pro-choice or pro-life?" A CNN poll found 45% said pro-choice and 50% said pro-life. Within the following week, a Gallup poll found 49% responding pro-choice and 45% pro-life.
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/05/09/rel6...
And, just so I understand you, the "choice" in pro-choice is the death of the unborn entity, correct? Not the "ending of its existence" or some other euphemism, but its death. Just so we are on the same page.
I guess it depends on your definition of "death", and "entity"-- I wonder how many cells you consider necessary to be considered "life"?
and out of curiousity, what's your position on the death penalty? How many cells do these condemned people possess? Are they "life"? Hmmm...

..and I guess you meant "differently than I". but were so consumed by your medieval religious zeal to control women's bodies, you forgot good grammar!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

jeff wrote:
<quoted text>Seems to there are so many familys anxious to adopt a baby, so anxious the supply here is limited, so they must go buy one in some hole, it would be nice to see more American babies available for adoption, oh well there are those who feel it's murder to abort and those who think it a privacy issue, sadly the other responisible party has no say, dear old dad doesn't count in your world, oh well
What are you talking about? People go overseas for adoptions, not because there is a lack of needy children here, but to escape the impossible bureaucracy our govt. has put in their paths.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

Right Wing Conspiracy wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. I don't always trust the media, but when the NY Times is defending Bush rather than attacking him I trust that info. Their bias leans to being anti-Bush, and I'm sure they wanted to find a valid conspiracy in Florida, but the truth was, Bush won.
I'll concede "in the end" Bush won. LOL.

“E Pluribus F&P!”

Since: Jan 08

Floral Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

Wise one wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it depends on your definition of "death", and "entity"-- I wonder how many cells you consider necessary to be considered "life"?
and out of curiousity, what's your position on the death penalty? How many cells do these condemned people possess? Are they "life"? Hmmm...
..and I guess you meant "differently than I". but were so consumed by your medieval religious zeal to control women's bodies, you forgot good grammar!
Why the insult and why do you consider that only religious people have serious issues with abortion. My question for you is whether you consider abortion right and wrong and why?
Mistake

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

WHO CARES wrote:
Isn't it amazing that WE who have already been born and avoided being ABORTED can think it is OK to ABORT a child, fetus, whatever you want to call it ????
In your case it was obviously a mistake.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

<quoted text>
Some might, but it's not in every case from what I've seen.
I've seen plenty of women who report things that they were told their child was just a bundle of cells.
I saw these so called "pro-choice" organizations trying to block legislation like Lacey's law which identifies a fetus as a human life. The law didn't outlaw abortion, it allowed for prosecution (for murder) of anyone who attacks a pregnant woman and kills her unborn child. That actually protects choice, but the choice to not abort isn't as heavily defended by these groups.
I've seen representatives from these groups constantly the potential of the procedure to cause depression in women. Even though there are plenty of women who reported having it after they go through the procedure.
From my understanding, this Lacey's Law was a problem because its language created individual rights for a fetus. This would essentially give rights to "nonexistent" individuals. Once created, what other rights become arguable through our courts? In-laws protesting prenatal care, delivery options, even sillier-name choices, on the fact that it will harm the unborn child?

As for depression, I think in this day and age, people understand that along with pregnancy comes hormones. Those variations in hormones can reasonably cause depression, not just a procedure, can't they?
VoteVets Org

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

<quoted text>
Not true. Ginsburg, Breyer, Stevens, and Souter are big-time liberals. Kennedy is not as liberal as they are, but leans to the left. These are the 5 that took our property rights away with the Eminent Domain decision. The 4 Conservatives(Republicans) all voted against Eminent Domain.
Most have been appointed by Republicans, but they also had to deal with a Democrat Congress for around 40 years prior to 1994. That's how appointing justices to the SCOTUS became a big issue.
Even the NY Times admitted Bush won Florida in 2,000. People didn't want a revote b/c they thought Gore won. They wanted a revote in hopes that it would be a 2 person race and Nader votes would switch their vote to Gore.
First, the law.
George W. Bush's January 20, 2001 inauguration was unconstitutional. This isn't because Bush lost the popular vote. Nor is it because he lost Florida and thus the electoral vote. The U.S. Supreme Court's decision to hear the Florida recount lawsuit, Bush v. Gore, violated the U.S. Constitution. It's a states' rights issue. Elections fall under state law; the highest court that may resolve a legal challenge about an election is a state supreme court. The U.S. Supreme Court--a federal body--didn't have jurisdiction in the case.
http://yalelawjournal.org/2006/11/07/flanders...
Ignorance is bliss

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

Wise one wrote:
Well "Arawak" certainly gets an "amen" from me. The hypocrisy surrounding the anti-choice folks is stifling--they're "pro-life", but only for those not yet living! Haven't met one yet who is against capital punishment, or who is interested in raising the necessary taxes to support the needs of the many children of poor families unable to adequately support them.
And every study of the matter has shown that unplanned children from single parent families have a much higher liklihood not to finish school, and be involved in crime--are you "pro-life" for them?
And BTW, every national poll has shown that the majority of Americans continue to support a woman's right to choose!
I for one am sick and tired of a small minority of very vocal, religiously-based self rightesous ealots trying to ram their narrow minded, outdated beliefs down our throats.
I have an idea-- you do what you believe in, and I'll do what I believe in. Sort of sounds like the great American way, doesn't it?
Amen to that.
Captain Quirk

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

ChickyLivesIn08 wrote:
ROE V WADE IS HERE TO STAY.
PRO-CHOICE AMERICA!
YIPEE! KILL BABIES! WOOHOO!
AmICrazy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

Why is abortion so acceptable, yet sterilization is not even mentioned? I am 100% Pro-Life but have no problem with a doctor sterilizing a consenting adult who is a terrible parent/drug abuser/child abuser, felons, chronic unemployed, etc. and medical insurance should pick up the tab. Explain to me where am I wrong!!! Why wait until they carry a life? BTW, I'm for any enticement necessary to get their consent, including $$$. This would surely cut down on the foster/unwanted children situation. As far as the death penalty, I'm against it, period. Why would anybody in their right mind trust the worst legal system in the world (U.S. legal system) with someone's life. Life imprisonment at best.
Sheesh

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

This subject brings out the absolute worst behavior in so many of you. You should step back and look at the mean, miserable and rotten things you say to and about each other...folks you don't even know. Hate, prejudice, blanket statements and bigotry abounds. Congratulations!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hartford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••