Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#295948 May 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
I remember a lot about my time in the coma; my mind was very active. It was just not connected to the external world.
Again, autonomic responses are not the same as feeling pain.
<quoted text>
I'd love to know more about what was going on in your kind during that time. Fascinating.
Gtown71

United States

#295949 May 14, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't see keeping her alive through artificial means is playing God? Preventing her from a natural death by helping to maintain her heartbeat with a plastic tube inserted in her stomach and filled with a pulp like substance neither tasted nor smelled?
You just pretend you don't hold the same type of shotgun you accuse of others. Especially as you reduce a whole woman, an adult wife, down to a heartbeat.
No Katie I don't.
She had been that way for many years. Plus who do you believe?

If they had to keep machines plugged up for her heart to beat or for her to breath, it would be different.

Her mother said she knew when she was there, so did others.

I'm not saying terrie was going to get up and go to the mall or out to eat with them, but many people have a sad quality of life for many years.

I truly do not know her husbands motives, but what harm was there in feeding her, and giving her water, through a tube or anything?

It kinda reminds me of Elvis dying from heart failure, sure his heart stopped beating. Yet is that what caused his death?
Gtown71

United States

#295950 May 14, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm, this is my job, my training is in the field we are discussing. I treat the patients that you only speculate about. You do not know what you are talking about. You opine, I speak from solid experience. When you do some real research, you may discuss with me...maybe.
If you work in hospice, then I geuss you do, BUT I don't see terrie being a hospice patient anymore then any of us. We are all going to die.

I got to sit with a dear friend of mine about a year ago, for her last night on earh, inside a hospice house. She was stage 4 lung cancer. As you know things had changed quickly. She was talking just a few days earlier, but this night her eyes were rolled back, her mouth open, and I'm pretty sure they had only a pain pump hooked up to her.

Not 100% sure, but I don't remember an iv, only the pain pump, which was a small "back pack " type of deal.

Plus a pain patch.

Her body was no doubt dying. I've buried many many people, and have seen them go many different ways, but terrie was breathing on her own, heart beating on its on.

There to me lies the difference.

Again, I'm not saying terrie had a very good quality of life, but I still feel the way she died wasn't good at all.

Had they given my friend iv fluids and or food, she may or may not have.lived longer, but she would've died pretty soon, either way.
Gtown71

United States

#295951 May 14, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I'd love to know more about what was going on in your kind during that time. Fascinating.
May I ask you if cpeter told you what was going on in his mind at that time, would you believe him?

Would you consider reading the book "proof of Heaven ", that was written by a Nero surgeon who went into a coma for a long time, and is back to his old life, with a new way of thinking?

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#295952 May 14, 2013
Why bother getting an education when some religious figure tells you what to think?
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text> How do these idiots manage to get through the day, being so @#$%ing stupid)
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#295953 May 14, 2013
These are horrid circumstances. I pray I am never in them nor anyone I know.
I tend to believe they were too heroic in the beginning but don't know.

I do have a different opinion of 'Schiavo than I DiD before this thread started. HE,maybe wrongly did all he could to save someone with no future.

I am still not sure on the manner in which she finally died. had she been on a ventilator as she may have been at first..the decision would be easier ..not emotionally..but on the conscience..

Indianapolis

#295954 May 14, 2013
Various scenarios played out; I lived as a southwestern hispanic shaman; I made a movie with john carradine; I was in a laboratory, ensconced in a glass tub in san fransisco in the 1920's; and various bits and pieces of other "lives". All very cinematic; each had a different color tone and style.
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I'd love to know more about what was going on in your kind during that time. Fascinating.

Indianapolis

#295955 May 14, 2013
The difference being that I understand that my scenarios weren't real.
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
May I ask you if cpeter told you what was going on in his mind at that time, would you believe him?
Would you consider reading the book "proof of Heaven ", that was written by a Nero surgeon who went into a coma for a long time, and is back to his old life, with a new way of thinking?
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#295956 May 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Various scenarios played out; I lived as a southwestern hispanic shaman; I made a movie with john carradine; I was in a laboratory, ensconced in a glass tub in san fransisco in the 1920's; and various bits and pieces of other "lives". All very cinematic; each had a different color tone and style.
<quoted text>
Hmmmm. Lol very good drugs..and colorful??
Katie

Auburn, WA

#295957 May 14, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
No Katie I don't.
She had been that way for many years. Plus who do you believe?
If they had to keep machines plugged up for her heart to beat or for her to breath, it would be different.
Her mother said she knew when she was there, so did others.
I'm not saying terrie was going to get up and go to the mall or out to eat with them, but many people have a sad quality of life for many years.
I truly do not know her husbands motives, but what harm was there in feeding her, and giving her water, through a tube or anything?
It kinda reminds me of Elvis dying from heart failure, sure his heart stopped beating. Yet is that what caused his death?
Elvis died of constipation. His body no longer processed waste and the toxins killed him.

Terri had a heartbeat, but not much more. She breathed in and out. But not much more.

You tell me why it was kind to keep her alive while blind (the optical area of her brain liquefied), while in a state of not dead, but not living. With no awareness of herself or those around her.

Regardless of the lies (or wishful thinking) her parents told, people who actually spent time with Terri knew she was not aware anyone was there. Those tapes her parents made and sold for donations were bits and pieces of over 4 hours. Mere minutes here and there meant to mislead (or portray their wishful thinking).

Atrisco Village

#295959 May 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Why bother getting an education when some religious figure tells you what to think?
<quoted text>
Very true, my friend. I'm wasting my time trying to reason with people who have no interest in learning facts. Thank goodness my colleagues who are Christians are much more knowledgeable and enlightened about death and dying than some people here.
Katie

Auburn, WA

#295960 May 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! That's much more than my 13yr old self experienced, Cptr. I thought the Ivac machine was my skating coach and talked to it about upcoming events. I told my mother secrets she didn't bother listening to prior to the accident. Then she thought I had either made it up or it was hallucinations.

What I remember from my first night diagnosed out of the coma was that I needed to use the bathroom. I didn't understand why it was so difficult to get to the bathroom, but I somehow managed. It was on my way back to the bed where I fell and couldn't get back on my feet. I lay there for hours until a nurse checked and found me.
While there, I'd dreamed of climbing a never-ending set of stairs. That every time I was close to the top, the stairs seemed to grow and expand. I realized I was dragging my injured leg behind and leaving a trail of blood.

But then, unexpectedly, the stairs became a slide and down I slid... like my personal version of Chutes and Ladders.
Later I learned I'd fallen and hit my head in the same are it was initially injured. The back of my skull had cracked in an upside down Y, almost along the seams of the skull.

And for those unsure about consciousness and pain... I endured over 12hrs of surgery without anesthetic and have absolutely no memory of it.

Atrisco Village

#295961 May 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy cow! Far out, man:-)

Atrisco Village

#295962 May 14, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
The difference being that I understand that my scenarios weren't real.
<quoted text>
Well, what do you expect from a "Nero surgeon?"
Katie

Auburn, WA

#295963 May 14, 2013
rosesz wrote:
These are horrid circumstances. I pray I am never in them nor anyone I know.
I tend to believe they were too heroic in the beginning but don't know.
I do have a different opinion of 'Schiavo than I DiD before this thread started. HE,maybe wrongly did all he could to save someone with no future.
I am still not sure on the manner in which she finally died. had she been on a ventilator as she may have been at first..the decision would be easier ..not emotionally..but on the conscience..
I tend to agree, they were too heroic initially. But she was young and they were trying to do their best. He was young, he was trying to do his best.

It is terrible what happened to Terri and to her family. But I believe the Schindlers took things too far and were not looking after Terri's best interests. They were looking after their own.
Gtown71

United States

#295964 May 14, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis died of constipation. His body no longer processed waste and the toxins killed him.
Terri had a heartbeat, but not much more. She breathed in and out. But not much more.
You tell me why it was kind to keep her alive while blind (the optical area of her brain liquefied), while in a state of not dead, but not living. With no awareness of herself or those around her.
Regardless of the lies (or wishful thinking) her parents told, people who actually spent time with Terri knew she was not aware anyone was there. Those tapes her parents made and sold for donations were bits and pieces of over 4 hours. Mere minutes here and there meant to mislead (or portray their wishful thinking).
Well Katie, again you and others are trying to portray her parents as evil folks, but her hubby doing the right thing.

THEY WERE HER PARENTS.

I'm not saying it was easy on any of them, but I could write the same about Hellen Keller.

She ate, and drank, but prob like an animal.
She wasn't aware of much and couldn't comunicate with anyone.

If terrie wasn't in any pain, as many on here suggest, then why did it matter, if nothing else her parents still had her there.

Again a judge chose what would happen to others lives.
Katie

Auburn, WA

#295965 May 14, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Katie, again you and others are trying to portray her parents as evil folks, but her hubby doing the right thing.
THEY WERE HER PARENTS.
I'm not saying it was easy on any of them, but I could write the same about Hellen Keller.
If terrie wasn't in any pain, as many on here suggest, then why did it matter, if nothing else her parents still had her there.
Reduce yourself down to somebody else's plastic dolly if you want. Reduce your "simple" wife down to your own plastic dolly if you want. You have no say so in anyone else's life.

Welcome to America.
Gtown71

United States

#295966 May 14, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Well, what do you expect from a "Nero surgeon?"
People normaly find what they are looking for, even creative spelling :)

Cpeter and others look at the "theory" of evolution, and it fits his " belief ",even though it doesn't even fit evolution.

We evolved or OR was kin to apes??? Really,? Do you realize how much longer, bigger, and for certain stronger a gorrilas arm is then ours?

There is not a man alive that could hold his own with a full grown, or half grown gorilla.

That's not evolving, it's devolving.

Maybe you can spell better, but don't make it right.

The deal with me and God is a given, I can't change what happened to me, even if I wanted to. He is a part of my every day thoughts.

Before, He wasn't even on my mind.

If it is a scam, there's alot of folks in on it, for an awful long time.

If terrie was that bad off, she would've died on her own.

Do you "honestly " think there will come a day, when old people are put down when they can no longer contribute to society?
And / or assis suicides?
rosesz

Ashburn, VA

#295967 May 14, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree, they were too heroic initially. But she was young and they were trying to do their best. He was young, he was trying to do his best.
It is terrible what happened to Terri and to her family. But I believe the Schindlers took things too far and were not looking after Terri's best interests. They were looking after their own.
After this thread ..and the reading..esp the autopsy..I am disinclined to judge either side..It became a circus.

But at one point it seems they were accused by Michael of trying to kill her because of a,syringe cap..This makes no sense since they wanted to keep her alive..it sounds like those minutes when she could react became their life..She was their child in a very childlike situation. Their baby..I can't help but feel sorry for both sides

Tragedy all around. The lawsuit spurred a lot of it..money always does and yes the religious part..

Mercifully for all it is over

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#295968 May 14, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
THEY WERE HER PARENTS.
"She wasn't aware of much and couldn't comunicate with anyone."

What? Have you lost your mind? Educate yourself, you blithering idiot. There is NO comparison between that poor unfortunate woman, and Helen Keller. None.

Damn, you're stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 28 min OzRitz 52,999
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,223,644
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 69,782
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr Tom Waits 19,885
justin c. freeman attorney hartford, ct is a sh... 14 hr weatherfieldguy112 1
Review: Nirenstein Horowitz And Associates (Sep '12) Sat cdonald18 35
DCF Protest in CT & We want your stories!!! (Jul '12) Apr 29 Mikeriskeysob 48
More from around the web

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]