Hartford Deputy Fire Chief Accused Of...

Hartford Deputy Fire Chief Accused Of Offering Favors

There are 434 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 22, 2008, titled Hartford Deputy Fire Chief Accused Of Offering Favors. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Hartford Deputy Fire Chief Daniel Nolan was placed on paid administrative leave Monday for allegedly offering favors - such as requiring them to climb a training tower fewer times - to recruits who made ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Flinkle

Shelton, CT

#1 Apr 22, 2008
Somebody's jealous he didn't think of this racket first.
Ford

West Hartford, CT

#2 Apr 22, 2008
Oh boy, they really uncovered the coruption case of the year! Doesn't sound like this guy benefitted personally. Sounds like some one who couldn't climb the rope or pass the test, even after donating to the cancer society, is taking it out on this guy.
JVB

New York, NY

#3 Apr 22, 2008
Mr. Nolan, is one of the best if not the best Hartford Firefighter, I don't think thas a reason to separate him from the force, he's coming to serve the country were he is a leader also sometimes you tame both and get a somebody who misjudge your actions......hope he's back to the line, Hartford deserves a good people in special Hartford FD
KRANS44

Naugatuck, CT

#4 Apr 22, 2008
This doesn't appear to be any different
than many of the larger companies who offer dress down days for a charity contribution. He certainly didn't pocket the money for himself.
A written reprimand should be given. He appears to be an honorable man
as his father and grandfather before him. He offered an incentive to get people involved in their community and charity service. Let's not kill the messanger for his good works just because he had some misdirection. I think it is a wonderful idea to keep people involved in giving and not always taking. God bless Dan Nolan!
Are you kidding me

West Hartford, CT

#5 Apr 22, 2008
With all the crime in Hartford, the nightly murders,and the mismanagent, the failing school system a guy who tries to promote charity giving gets into trouble. Only in Hartford, and only in Connecticut. Shame on the Courant for even covering this witch hunt
Joe

AOL

#6 Apr 22, 2008
You have got to be kidding me! This guy is placed on administrative leave for encouraging firefighters to be charitable?? Shame on the HFD!!!
Ret HFD

Marlborough, CT

#7 Apr 22, 2008
Dan Nolan is a real Firefighter like his father before him, this has to be a misunderstanding, either that or someone who can't make the cut is trying to frame Nolan. To do what he is accused of is almost laughable and makes no sense, and if it doesn't make sense it is not true.
TAXPAYER

West Hartford, CT

#8 Apr 22, 2008
Only in Hartford would they take a guy like Dan and treat him like this. You have a mayor who is so dirty and no one does anything and they go after a guy like this. Hartford has hit an all time low.Dan has done more for charities then anyone at city hall has ever thought of doing. Dan retire you don't need there crap..
Lucky

AOL

#9 Apr 22, 2008
I have one question. Why couldn't the anonymous caller to City Hall identify himself or herself? Doesn't Nolan have the right to know who is accusor is? The caller is obviously a coward.
lawNorder

West Hartford, CT

#10 Apr 22, 2008
Someone wants to get rid of him to give his job to a minority
Green tea

Washington, DC

#11 Apr 22, 2008
When people think you are an idiot, you should keep your mouth shut instead of talking and removing all doubt!
lawNorder wrote:
Someone wants to get rid of him to give his job to a minority
Green tea

Washington, DC

#12 Apr 22, 2008
If you don't live in Hartford and the crooked mayor is not the mayor of where you live, what do you care? If you are not part of the solution, which you are not, you are part of the problem. Get a grip.
TAXPAYER wrote:
Only in Hartford would they take a guy like Dan and treat him like this. You have a mayor who is so dirty and no one does anything and they go after a guy like this. Hartford has hit an all time low.Dan has done more for charities then anyone at city hall has ever thought of doing. Dan retire you don't need there crap..
M Jodi Rell

East Hartford, CT

#13 Apr 22, 2008
This sounds like a political job. I think that Eddie is pissed off that he is not getting the at least half of the money so he is squeezing Mr. Nolan and sending a message. Mr. Nolan just needs to grease Eddie and all will be well. Remember me in '10.
Joe

Plainville, CT

#14 Apr 22, 2008
Sounds like a hatchet job to me. Boo Htfd.
Tlight

New York, NY

#15 Apr 22, 2008
KRANS44 wrote:
This doesn't appear to be any different
than many of the larger companies who offer dress down days for a charity contribution. He certainly didn't pocket the money for himself.
A written reprimand should be given. He appears to be an honorable man
as his father and grandfather before him. He offered an incentive to get people involved in their community and charity service. Let's not kill the messanger for his good works just because he had some misdirection. I think it is a wonderful idea to keep people involved in giving and not always taking. God bless Dan Nolan!
I agree a slap on the wrist is in order but you have to realize its not the same as a dress down day at a corp. He was allowing them to pass exams and tests where they otherwise would have failed. Those test are designed to have minimum standards that need to be met. Adherance to those standards saves lives.
Proud Firefighters Wife

Granby, CT

#17 Apr 22, 2008
With all of the corruption and stealing going on, you have to dig pretty deep to accuse someone of encouraging donations to charities. Nolan rewards recruits for giving their time to a charity ... wow, what a bad guy! I work for a large company that rewards us for giving to United Way with dress down days....how is this different? Keep screwing up Hartford, way to keep up the "falling" star...
MR Mitch

Higganum, CT

#18 Apr 22, 2008
Oh boy sounds to me like some people just aren't happy is they don't stair the pot. leave Deputy Nolan alone he is a good man.
Good Greef

Boston, MA

#19 Apr 22, 2008
Offered favors? How did they come to that conclusion? Usually, when one "offers favors" they get something in return.

That clearly did not happen here. The Nolans have a long tradition of charity work, for someone to turn this into an "investigation" is a sad day for HFD and all associated with the city. Finish the investigation against Perez first!
Good Greef

Boston, MA

#20 Apr 22, 2008
Dr Ken wrote:
This guy IS DIRTY and we all know it - when all the firemen's fat wives are done posting - the truth will come out on this jerk.
Compromising training for your own interests endangers helives of other firemen
These losers are mostly HS dropouts anyway but every little training helps
No real fires in Hartfod anyway - these guys are there to clean up after the burn is out
So all you retired jerks or Dan's friends - think about it - he let's them skip training - what a jerk
Ah, Dr. Ken. I credit you again, you never seem unashamed to show what an idiot and uninformed person you are. You do it on every post. Run your mouth, post information that does not appear in articles and talk about people who you have never met. I guess you like to post, so you have no shame when you post garbage, but you are consistent, all your posts are garbage!
hater

East Hartford, CT

#21 Apr 22, 2008
Dan nolan has been robbing the city blind for years. He cheated his way to the jon of D.C. When the real truth come out about him and what go on at the the training academy the town will be wonder why was this guy allow to last soo long. At least Chief Parker stood up to him..hmmm Start digging deeper and more dirt will come out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Julia 1,746,017
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 22 min American Independent 336,907
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Bayonne 21,531
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 hr Black Ice 72,074
News Stoshball Out On Assignment 22 hr Gavone 1
News FBI at Carabetta Office Building on Center and ... (Jun '11) Sun Fefa 30
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Apr 21 STEAMY FARTS 64,570

Hartford Jobs

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages