Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60657 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

cgp

Wilmette, IL

#44 Dec 15, 2008
Jugdish wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the Population Explosion? By now, there were supposed to be so many people on Earth all sorts of dire things were to happen. What happened with that? Why don't we talk about the Population Explosion anymore?
Perhaps you've paid no attention to starvation, genocide, water shortages, civil war, habitat destruction, species extinction...all of these things are a direct result in most cases of limited resources for an ever burdgeoning human population. So, in your view, all on the planet is hunky dory? Let's open our eyes and broaden our view, eh?
Chris in Mpls

Minneapolis, MN

#45 Dec 15, 2008
For the time being this is an issue that has neither been proven nor disproven. That said, I wonder how many who argue for and against the theory of global warming would really want to know if it were in fact true or not. Seems most would rather just continue to argue about it.

It appears that the driving factor behind this must be political, and not scientific. And of course, a lot of people just really enjoy arguing..
Al Gorebal Warming

Trumbull, CT

#46 Dec 15, 2008
This recession really blows! I was living like a rock star ans making a fortune on this global warming craze; its cutting into my profits and now nobody is playing any attention to me. If this keeps up I may have mothball my private jet.

Big Al and Bigger Tipper
PleaseReadBefore Thinking

United States

#50 Dec 15, 2008
Obama bin Biden wrote:
Yeah, hurry up and act before this farce called "Global Warming" is exposed. Are'nt we seeing record cold snaps for this early in the season.
In the lower 48.

The artic had a near record summer. Temperatures in the Southern Hemisphere and other areas of the Northern are above normal.

Why is the 'Global' part of global warming so hard for many here to understand?
Steven

Artesia, CA

#51 Dec 15, 2008
If we nuke Africa problem solved.
cgp wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you've paid no attention to starvation, genocide, water shortages, civil war, habitat destruction, species extinction...all of these things are a direct result in most cases of limited resources for an ever burdgeoning human population. So, in your view, all on the planet is hunky dory? Let's open our eyes and broaden our view, eh?
PleaseReadBefore Thinking

United States

#52 Dec 15, 2008
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Right- so we better learn how to adapt to the changing climate. Just like we did 12000 years ago when the glaciers first started to recede. Damned cave men and their SUVs...
World's population was less than 100k then. Now it is over 6 billion. Which 6 billion plus do you suggest kill themselves so the other 100k can live in a decimated environment?
Titan

Corona, NY

#53 Dec 15, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Cuz you were a little kid then
Hahahahaah...that was a good one, I will have to remember that one when trying to have a rational discussion with one of these eco freaks
unbelievable

Redmond, WA

#54 Dec 15, 2008
Hazmat wrote:
What a crock of b-s.
The average global temperature the author cites is a meaningless conglomeration of temperature readings.
Well, temperatures can and do vary in the same city on the same day, and what may be the highest in one neighbor might b
differ by one or two degrees with another area of the same city. Just taking the highest or lowest doesn't really prove anything with regard to the Earth's temperature. It is all a crock of crap, and anyone with a brain can see that if Al Gore (and others) are commercially involved in assuring us that global warming is a problem, then that should be more than enough reason to doubt their Armageddon-like warnings. The author of this screed is full of it.
Now we are thinking!! propaganda steal from americans just give me my taxes back already
unbelievable

Redmond, WA

#55 Dec 15, 2008
Chris in Mpls wrote:
For the time being this is an issue that has neither been proven nor disproven. That said, I wonder how many who argue for and against the theory of global warming would really want to know if it were in fact true or not. Seems most would rather just continue to argue about it.
It appears that the driving factor behind this must be political, and not scientific. And of course, a lot of people just really enjoy arguing..
they pay to argue with their taxes what a set up
Plain Jane

Hayward, CA

#56 Dec 15, 2008
It's too bad these cretin comedians don't just stick with the Obama is an alien threads and let intelligent people discuss the world's problems. They are like dogs that have to piss on everything.

And no Steven, I don't live in San Francisco and I am not a lesbian, but your questions reveal your dearth of objective reasoning and idiotic bigotry. My IP server is in San Francisco.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#57 Dec 15, 2008
BS Detector wrote:
Here we go again.
According to algore, writing in 1980, we should have seen a sea level rise of 20-50 feet by 2000. Actual rise? Zip. Nada.
About 9000 years ago global temp shot up worldwide. Palm trees grew in England. Hippos lived in the Thames. Then it suddenly dropped. Why? No answers from the global warming crowd.
If you can't explain what undeniably happened in the past why do you think you can predict the future?
In case your interested, it was known as the "Altithermal Event" and has been known for over 45 years.
Wow, another load of misinformation. You'd have to go back 130,000 years to see hippos in the Thames. As for palms in Britain, you can see them right now. And Gore never predicted sea level rises of 20 feet--much less 50--by the year 2000.

Strike one, two, three...you're out!
JRS

Oconomowoc, WI

#58 Dec 15, 2008
Plain Jane wrote:
It's too bad these cretin comedians don't just stick with the Obama is an alien threads and let intelligent people discuss the world's problems. They are like dogs that have to piss on everything.
And no Steven, I don't live in San Francisco and I am not a lesbian, but your questions reveal your dearth of objective reasoning and idiotic bigotry. My IP server is in San Francisco.
"and let intelligent people discuss the world's problems."

OH MY gOD! THE WORLD HAS A PROBLEM!
THE GLOAL AVERAGE TEPERATURE IS UP --- ONE--- DEGREE --- OVER --- ONE HUNDRED YEARS

And the imbecilic AGW crisis peddlers think we should consider them to have met the requirement of: "and let intelligent people discuss the world's problems."

NOT!
Ohno

High Wycombe, UK

#59 Dec 15, 2008
AlgoreTheTinFoilHatter wrote:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis). It is an
unproven theory.
http://www.wilstar.com/theories.htm
1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA)
(University of Alabama)
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warmin...
2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998
(NOAA)(University of Alabama)
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-coolin...
3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys
were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures
http://sealevel.colorado.edu/
4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm
more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)
http://www.nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/index.h...

I could continue. Almost every point is wrong or misleading.
Plain Jane

Hayward, CA

#60 Dec 15, 2008
I hope these cretins are the first to die off. Darwinian karma.
JRS

Oconomowoc, WI

#61 Dec 15, 2008
Plain Jane wrote:
I hope these cretins are the first to die off. Darwinian karma.
Probably not. The tax payers will lop the heads off of the phony AGW crisis peddlers first after the glaciers start encroaching in on their back yards.

Glaciers are growing around the world, including the United States

Click here to see a list of the specific glaciers that are growing
List of Expanding Glaciers http://www.iceagenow.com/List_of_Expanding_Gl...

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#62 Dec 15, 2008
Write to your politicians folks about this false crisis of global warming caused by humans.
Say the Truth

Long Branch, NJ

#63 Dec 15, 2008
Grouchy Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
My first thought was Rowan & Martin of Laugh-In fame.
You're correct, you two could do Vegas.
You bet your sweet bippy!
Say the Truth

Long Branch, NJ

#64 Dec 15, 2008
PleaseReadBeforeThinking wrote:
<quoted text>
World's population was less than 100k then. Now it is over 6 billion. Which 6 billion plus do you suggest kill themselves so the other 100k can live in a decimated environment?
Ok, this is easy.

First, we get rid of the lawyers.

Then Democrats, starting with Chicagoland...
Say the Truth

Long Branch, NJ

#65 Dec 15, 2008
Titan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahaah...that was a good one, I will have to remember that one when trying to have a rational discussion with one of these eco freaks
I appreciate your spunk, but it is impossible to have a rational discussion with people who think humans are vermin.
Soilent Green

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#67 Dec 15, 2008
Remember all our lakes were going to die from acid rain in the 70's? What happened. Not to mention global cooling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,403,804
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr NotInPotatoQuality 20,387
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 hr TRD 70,827
"OX" cover band from the 70s. (Oct '10) 9 hr Babs 15
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 19 hr zef 311,487
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 21 hr TWP 72,037
News Korday Foster, AKA Corday Foster, 23, Charged b... (Aug '08) Jul 19 Anna 3

Hartford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hartford Mortgages