Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 46,971
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#34535 Mar 4, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, clear as mud...now how is blocking very clearly linked to fossil fuels? From the your link:
"This is preliminary research that has yet to be published, and much more work needs to be done before we can confidently link Arctic sea ice loss with an increase in extreme weather, though."
Science moves on. That quote is from 2011.

This one is from 2012.
This unnatural pattern is due to human heating of the climate through emissions of greenhouse gases that result from burning fossil fuels, according to the study published this week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Deniers don't move on, They just get angrier and angrier and dumber and dumbed. Like you.

"the green troll"

#34536 Mar 4, 2013
kristy wrote:
is that there is only one direction for the Arctic to go and that is ice free. You are saying that the Arctic will never recover?
While we pump more CO2 into the atmosphere and the Arctic gets warmer and warmer?

Duh, no.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34537 Mar 4, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So your logical thinking is that there is only one direction for the Arctic to go and that is ice free. You are saying that the Arctic will never recover?
"Global Warming" shadenfreude.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#34538 Mar 4, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Geesh, make up your mind. In an earlier post, you claimed I was dishonest and devious for posting the year 2013 as the year when scientists claim the Arctic would be ice free. You claimed that was an outlier and that the consensus of the scientists was 2040-2100 as when the Arctic summer will be ice free, but since caveman posts 2016 as the year, all of a sudden you now tell me the consensus has come down to 2019. Did you just find this out in the last 24 hours? And how I am being devious for posting something every major media outlet posted? Is the media devious and dishonest?
I never posted 2016 as the year for an ice-free Arctic.

Are you dishonest? Or dumb?
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#34539 Mar 4, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So your logical thinking is that there is only one direction for the Arctic to go and that is ice free. You are saying that the Arctic will never recover?
Logically, it will generally go in one direction, in the present and projected circumstances.

I feel sure the Arctic will recover, but not in our grandchildren's lifetime.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34540 Mar 4, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Logically, it will generally go in one direction, in the present and projected circumstances.
I feel sure the Arctic will recover, but not in our grandchildren's lifetime.
What's the basis for your "feeling sure?"

Excellent review to read here:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/103364

"....... The rapidly disappearing Arctic icecap is a tipping point in motion. In all likelihood, statistically speaking, itís gone, history. Within a few years when the ice disappears entirely, for the first time in 3 (or as many as 13) million years, hold on because our weather patterns will be drastically destabilized. Most folks in my field are still reluctant to acknowledge this 800 pound gorilla staring us right in the face..... "
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34541 Mar 5, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What's the basis for your "feeling sure?"
Excellent review to read here:
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/103364
"....... The rapidly disappearing Arctic icecap is a tipping point in motion. In all likelihood, statistically speaking, itís gone, history. Within a few years when the ice disappears entirely, for the first time in 3 (or as many as 13) million years, hold on because our weather patterns will be drastically destabilized. Most folks in my field are still reluctant to acknowledge this 800 pound gorilla staring us right in the face..... "
I feel sure it will recover because, as the deniers constantly lecture, the earth has been through all this before, though usually at a slower pace.

Now, it may take a few thousand years, or a few tens of thousands of years, but either after we're gone or after we get smarter, the healing will begin.

It's a self balancing system. Our CO2 and methane will eventually dissipate and the planet will return to its regular cycles.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34542 Mar 5, 2013
Good News from China

China's energy consumption has soared along with its economic growth, including the country's coal consumption. However, given concerns about both climate change and deteriorating air quality (so bad it's sometimes called "airpocalypse"), the Chinese government is signaling a significant shift towards prioritizing environmental and public health, motivated partly by worries that complaints about bad air will lead to public unrest. Currently China consumes 3.9 billion tonnes of coal per year, up from 1.5 billion tonnes in 2000, but policy advisors have signaled that through a focus on energy efficiency and other measures, this rapid growth of Chinese coal consumption is at an end.

"Coal consumption will peak below 4 billion tonnes"

In addition, the Chinese government appears to be on the verge of taking a critical step which has eluded the American and Canadian federal governments, implementing a carbon tax. Although the carbon tax is expected to be modest, China plans to also increase coal taxes. These Chinese policies may reduce global coal shipments 18% within 2 years, and may make China a net coal exporter.

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>

Don't have China to kick around anymore?

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#34544 Mar 5, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank goodness for people like him trying to keep morons like you off Wikpedia.
You already have your own version anyway- the science denial Conservapedia- where you can read the views of cranks and charlatans on everything from quantum physics to evolution to global warming.
Wikipedia reflects the scientific consensus from the scientific literature, and long may it do so. No, your ignorance is not as good as their knowledge.
Piss off back to the dark ages where you belong.
Why, are you lonely in your flea infested hut? What got him in trouble was that he tried to put words in other people's mouth and the other person resorted to leagal means to correct the post. Of course is came out that on this subject that the true science denial was on Wikipeida.

Also, I have yet to see a professor who list in their syllabus banning Conservipedia but several have mentioned using Wikipedia would result is a big fat zero. I doubt you could find a docuemented example of Conservipedia being caught errors while Wikipeida has plenty of examples. You rright wikipeida reflects the consensus on man made global warming but there is nothing scientific about it. More like something from the dark ages or earlier. I bet your ready to burn me as a witch at the stake.

Norfolk va

#34545 Mar 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your source for this information is Mark Moran. That disqualifies you.
Your still very sloppy in you writing. I'll bet your house is a mess too.
Mark Moran is far more qualified than William Connonelly is. As for my writing, it is still better than yours. Plus is your hut any better and who does the cleaning, your wife.

Norfolk va

#34546 Mar 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Teener's living right there in the worst of it and yet she continues to deny.
<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><><>
Built at sea level on reclaimed wetland, Norfolk has faced floods throughout its 400-year history. But as the Atlantic Ocean warms and expands, and parts of the city subside, higher tides and fiercer storms seem to hit harder than they used to.
Dealing with this increased threat has put Norfolk at the forefront of American cities taking the lead on coping with intense weather, from floods to droughts to killer heat, without waiting for the federal government to take the lead.
In Norfolk, home to the largest U.S. Naval base and the second biggest commercial port on the U.S. Atlantic coast, floods are a perennial problem that has worsened in recent decades, Assistant City Manager Ron Williams Jr told Reuters.
The relative sea level around Norfolk has risen 14.5 inches (.37 meter) since 1930, when the low-lying downtown area routinely flooded. The floods are worse now, because the water doesn't have to rise as high to send the river above its banks and into the streets, Williams said.
At the same time, severe storms are more frequent.
"We've had more major storms in the past decade than we've had in the previous four decades," he said.
Extreme rainfall events have increased too.
<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><><><>
But then, that how stupid people drown.
Actually, Norfolk Naval Station dosn't experience flooding because they keep rebuilding different parts of the base every time they modernize a section.

As for the supposed ocean level rise. Please come here and mention it. People can use a laugh. The only few that believe it are a few enviroloons who have to ignore the fact that place like Fort Monroe, Portsmouth Naval Yard, and a host of other sites located near the water have not shown this 14.5 inches. As for Ron Williams Jr, why not ask him about the person who supposed worked for a dozen years and never once showed up for work. She was on his staff. Or about those smart phones they brought for gang leaders. Williams and Mayor Fraim are two of the more bumbling examples of politician. The latest stumble was building a light rail in one of those flooding areas downtown.

Norfolk va

#34547 Mar 5, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
And? So?
You think it's somehow odd that there are editing wars, or that one person was found to be biased? The mere fact that the editing war occurred, & that much of what Connolley said was removed, makes my point that Wiki tends to move toward the truth.
It's arrantly ABSURD to compare Wiki to a communist state where the party has control over everything. Wiki is a DEMOCRATIC environment where anyone can sign on, the exact opposite of totalitarian control.
Wiki is still a good starting place because they link to other sources. You can check everything they say.
You're STILL complaining in the wrong place. If you think Wiki is wrong, then YOU should sign on there & tell them just that.
Well, who got caught by being so obvious about it. You right about Wiki being a democratic enviroment as long as you belong to the right party. The funny thing is the USSR and China are also considered nominally democratic.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34548 Mar 5, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark Moran is far more qualified than William Connonelly is. As for my writing, it is still better than yours. Plus is your hut any better and who does the cleaning, your wife.
HA
HA
HA

My hut is good, self-heating, and I get my bowl of rice every day.... I build, run maintenance, and do minor automotive, and she cooks, cleans, sleeps, and takes care of the sex part.

How's things at your house, hon?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34549 Mar 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel sure it will recover because, as the deniers constantly lecture, the earth has been through all this before, though usually at a slower pace.
Now, it may take a few thousand years, or a few tens of thousands of years, but either after we're gone or after we get smarter, the healing will begin.
It's a self balancing system. Our CO2 and methane will eventually dissipate and the planet will return to its regular cycles.
I don't think the Arctic will recover because you can never put the humpty dumpty together again once the nonlinearity is raging and is operating to topple the status quo aka equilibrium condition.

I see a different world land map when an equilibrium is reached eventually. Also, a planet without apes and humans.

Whose healing is of concern?

It's a complex system of competing mechanisms. It could stabilize as a high CO2 and CH4 environment.

"the green troll"

#34550 Mar 6, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark Moran is far more qualified than William Connonelly is.
Marc Morano is a political hack who made a living making up smears against opponents, and now makes one lying about global warming.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...

Connolley used to be a climate scientist.

"the green troll"

#34551 Mar 6, 2013
tina anne wrote:
I have yet to see a professor who list in their syllabus banning Conservipedia but several have mentioned using Wikipedia would result is a big fat zero. I doubt you could find a docuemented example of Conservipedia being caught errors...
Yeah, global warming, evolution, relativity... all Liberal claptrap. What professor would have a problem with that?

You are truly a moron amongst morons.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#34552 Mar 6, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Norfolk Naval Station dosn't experience flooding because they keep rebuilding different parts of the base every time they modernize a section.
As for the supposed ocean level rise. Please come here and mention it. People can use a laugh. The only few that believe it are a few enviroloons who have to ignore the fact that place like Fort Monroe, Portsmouth Naval Yard, and a host of other sites located near the water have not shown this 14.5 inches. As for Ron Williams Jr, why not ask him about the person who supposed worked for a dozen years and never once showed up for work. She was on his staff. Or about those smart phones they brought for gang leaders. Williams and Mayor Fraim are two of the more bumbling examples of politician. The latest stumble was building a light rail in one of those flooding areas downtown.
Doesn't matter if you think your local politicians are corrupt or inept. The information on rising sea level came from NASA and NOAA, and you think that they are also corrupt and inept.

As for those who don't believe the sea is rising; they may be like the residents of Naples, who live right next door to Vesuvius. Everything will be fine until it isn't.
cricket

Winter Park, FL

#34553 Mar 6, 2013
dang...that man made global warming from those infernal engines, industry, and too many humans having too much and especially, exhaling too much.

Remains of Extinct Giant Camel Discovered in High Arctic

snip:
"The fossils were collected over three summer field seasons (2006, 2008 and 2010) and are about three-and-a-half million years old, dating from the mid-Pliocene Epoch. Other fossil finds at the site suggest this High Arctic camel lived in a boreal-type forest environment, during a global warm phase on the planet."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/...

Those who want to stop this "global warm phase" from EVER happening again, the solution is simple: don't throw your money at the rich to squander and enjoy for themselves.(Like Al's newest oceanside mega mansion acquisition-hey, wait, aren't the seas rising and going to rise more & flood the coasts? rofl).

The power is in your hands, when the ardent hypocrite believers actually walk the talk & decide to just stop exhaling the evil pollutant Co2.
The "YOU first" doctrine at work.

Easy really. Get rid of most all Co2, watch the plant life die and the humans will follow with a "natural" demise.

Viola. Overpopulation solved at the same time.

Jenius,(lol) no?

(for the spelling police, jenius is spelled wrong on purpose)
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34554 Mar 6, 2013
What's your point, silly? That you love the pollutors.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34555 Mar 6, 2013
Misspelled on purpose. LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Bluestater 1,114,632
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 50 min Eric 69,458
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Pearl Jam 305,819
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Chuck 19,281
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Mandela 68,543
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Mon Sir Samuel 806
Man Who Testified Against A Cop Is Arraigned On... Sun Sir Samuel 1

Hartford Jobs

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hartford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hartford

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]