Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,352
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34294 Feb 16, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Former Climate Change Believers Are Better Planet Lovers!
Science is certain comet hits are imminent yet science has never said a climate change crisis is imminent, only “likely” and “potentially” etc. A “climate crisis” would be like a comet hit, only worse so how close to the point of no return will science take us before they say the ultimate crisis “WILL” happen, not just might happen?
Not one single IPCC warning is without “maybes”,“Help my planet could be on fire maybe?” Since 27 more years of “maybe” is unsustainable, science needs to be crystal clear about it being a real crisis or not. Like why would we WANT this misery to be true?
If it were a crisis, they would have said so. Deny that!
Maybe the last time there were no "maybes" or "likelys" was when Newton claimed to have figured it all out. Then Einstein came along. You don't understand the openess of science.

No physicist today claims that Einstein's work is the last word. There are always mysteries and questions.

There are mysteries and questions about climate change, but that doesn't negate the whole theory or the body of work already known.

If climatologists had crystal balls, they'd say what you think they should. Until then, you're just sounding like a fool.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#34295 Feb 16, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the last time there were no "maybes" or "likelys" was when Newton claimed to have figured it all out. Then Einstein came along. You don't understand the openess of science.
No physicist today claims that Einstein's work is the last word. There are always mysteries and questions.
There are mysteries and questions about climate change, but that doesn't negate the whole theory or the body of work already known.
If climatologists had crystal balls, they'd say what you think they should. Until then, you're just sounding like a fool.
Somehow I bet Darryl Issa would very much like New Jersey & New York to pay their own way, but maybe not the reliable red states...

Newtonian physics are entirely included as a special case of Einsteinian physics (though the converse is not true). Still, both general relativity & quantum mechanics have been verified many times over for the very large & very small, respectively, but they are completely incompatible.

If one of the versions of string theory proves correct, GT & QM should be special cases of that theory.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#34296 Feb 17, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
At any given moment there are twenty million people farting.
With 7 billion people I imagine it's a lot more than that.

Location hidden

#34297 Feb 17, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow I bet Darryl Issa would very much like New Jersey & New York to pay their own way, but maybe not the reliable red states...
Newtonian physics are entirely included as a special case of Einsteinian physics (though the converse is not true). Still, both general relativity & quantum mechanics have been verified many times over for the very large & very small, respectively, but they are completely incompatible.
If one of the versions of string theory proves correct, GT & QM should be special cases of that theory.
Erratum:

Oops, I meant GR instead of GT in the last paragraph. GR = general relativity.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34298 Feb 17, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> With 7 billion people I imagine it's a lot more than that.
One out of every 350 men, women, and children???

You just flick flack, that's all.
PHD

Overton, TX

#34299 Feb 17, 2013
More words of wisdom from the spaced out spacedoutblues commander #2 TROLL!!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34300 Feb 17, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
Erratum:
Oops, I meant GR instead of GT in the last paragraph. GR = general relativity.
Oooops GRT is OK with me.

:-)
PHD

Overton, TX

#34301 Feb 17, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Oooops GRT is OK with me.
:-)
More words of wisdom from the spaced out spacedoutblues commander #2 TROLL!!!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#34302 Feb 17, 2013
LONDON — The world has missed the chance to keep greenhouse gas emissions below the level needed to prevent the temperature climbing above 2° Celsius, according to the British scientist who used to chair the IPCC, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

The scientist, Sir Robert Watson, chaired the Panel from 1997 until 2002, when he was ousted after U.S. pressure for his removal.

Watson said there is a 50-50 chance of preventing global average temperatures rising more than 3°C above their level at the start of the industrial age, but a 5°C rise is possible. That would mean the Earth warming more than it has since the end of the last Ice Age.

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><><><>

Watson may be the alarmist you've all been looking for.

But what if he is right?

Location hidden

#34303 Feb 17, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
LONDON — The world has missed the chance to keep greenhouse gas emissions below the level needed to prevent the temperature climbing above 2° Celsius, according to the British scientist who used to chair the IPCC, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
The scientist, Sir Robert Watson, chaired the Panel from 1997 until 2002, when he was ousted after U.S. pressure for his removal.
Watson said there is a 50-50 chance of preventing global average temperatures rising more than 3°C above their level at the start of the industrial age, but a 5°C rise is possible. That would mean the Earth warming more than it has since the end of the last Ice Age.
<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><><><>
Watson may be the alarmist you've all been looking for.
But what if he is right?
HUH??? Warming more than it has since the end of the last ice age??

Actually, 3º C would make it the warmest since the Pliocene 3 Mya. 5º C would mean the warmest it's been for at least 15 Mya.

Of course it does seem that with a 5º C rise, it would be difficult to avoid significant methane release from the Arctic, which would cause a positive feedback, causing ever-higher temps & releasing all the methane ("firing the clathrate gun").

We'd then be heading for 7-11º C warmer, maybe even higher, like the PETM ~55 Mya. There'd be no ice on the earth.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#34304 Feb 17, 2013
'me me me getting mine in the 69 position' wrote:
..... science has never said a climate change crisis is imminent, only “likely” and “potentially”......

Let deniers, former believers and believers all agree that when science finally says a climate change crisis is imminent........
//////////
litesong wrote:
'me me me getting mine in the 69 position' disappears for a while & returns with its best..........

See why it disappeared.
someone

Minneapolis, MN

#34305 Feb 17, 2013
Here's science you cant refute.

AMERICANS ARE TOO STUPID FOR DEMOCRACY

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/03/...
someone

Minneapolis, MN

#34306 Feb 17, 2013
litesong wrote:
'me me me getting mine in the 69 position' wrote:
..... science has never said a climate change crisis is imminent, only “likely” and “potentially”......
Let deniers, former believers and believers all agree that when science finally says a climate change crisis is imminent........
//////////
litesong wrote:
'me me me getting mine in the 69 position' disappears for a while & returns with its best..........
See why it disappeared.
What's up with you posters pushing this agenda all over topix?

Don't you Retards follow scientific results?

Scientists have determined........
Belief in this man made hoax fluctuates with TEMPERATURE!

so you should be peddling carbon tax during the SUMMER when its HOT outside.

Youre able to convince more Retards to pay taxes for breathing.
someone

Minneapolis, MN

#34307 Feb 17, 2013
Admit the issue isn't "global warning"

The issue is global carbon tax.

The issue is the creation of a centralized global government to "oversee" this.
PHD

Overton, TX

#34309 Feb 18, 2013
someone wrote:
The day is young and the local COMMANDER TROLLS haven't noticed your reply. Stay tuned more scientific science fiction will be out soon real soon.

Since: Mar 09

San Antonio, TX

#34310 Feb 18, 2013
someone wrote:
So you are for no tax and no government. Cool! How will that work?
PHD

Overton, TX

#34311 Feb 18, 2013
Ask the wallop10 AKA walloped again and again it will have some scientific science fiction answer soon real soon.

Location hidden

#34312 Feb 18, 2013
someone wrote:
Here's science you cant refute.
AMERICANS ARE TOO STUPID FOR DEMOCRACY
http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/03/...
Yes, perhaps.

"Democracy is a very bad form of government... except for all the others that have been tried."
-Sir Winston Churchill
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34313 Feb 18, 2013
haha the queen is/was not elected in UK.

Location hidden

#34314 Feb 18, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
haha the queen is/was not elected in UK.
True - but Sir Winston was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 14 min President Kim Jon... 19,569
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 37 min RUSH10ME 1,156,186
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 59 min Frijoles 71,265
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Pearl Jam 307,107
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr TRD 68,912
Praying That Perez Vigil Was A Bad Dream (Mar '09) Dec 22 John J Thomas 48
Review: Nirenstein Horowitz And Associates (Sep '12) Dec 21 Ruth Jeanette L 12
Hartford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hartford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hartford

Personal Finance